• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What was your most ignominious death?

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

I was reminded of one of mine earlier tonight; when I ran across an exploding mushroom, it all came back to me...

Many years ago, I was in a fight near Yew Crossroads, and almost redlined. I could run though, so I was hightailing it to a safe distance away to heal up and *BOOM!!* *You are dead.* I was positive a pursuer had cast explosion on me, so I turned around to see who had tracked me...and no one was there. Turns out I had stepped on an exploding mushroom. Yeesh!

Then of course, there was the time when I fell to rats in the Brit sewer. *winces* After running to the healer's to get ressed, I ran to the bank to beg a heal, so that I could retrieve my stuff from my corpse before the rats ate it all. The first question eveyone asked me was, "Who killed you? Where's your corpse?" When I mumbled an explanation, they were all too busy laughing to heal me. Talk about embarrassing...

F

Feyre

Cant remember any outstanding deaths like that but i remember one time back when i was way new i fought a orc mage forever and when i finally took it down i was at 2 hp and poisoned with no more bandages, thought it was the end and there wasnt no healers around. Amazingly i opened his corpse and there was a cure pot on it and i survived. I htought it was pretty funny though.

G

That would have to be the very first time I found an orc mask as loot.
'Ha ha, I can look like an orc!' I said to myself.
Two screens later, the usual crowd of orcs and an ettin spawned right next to me and surrounded me.
That day's lesson was that orc masks explode if you attack orcs while wearing them...

M

MeMn0cH

I was once fighting in luna *barf* and one of the japanese houses has a green box on it.. Curiosity killed the cat, and memnoch!

I opened it and its the house closest to GZ. I became lethally poisoned.. I started chugging cures and arch protecting.. I died.. It was a slow death..

My guild was with me though and even tho they couldnt cure me, I got rezzed right away.

K

Kimi_Mori

Dang this happen so long ago, back in 99. Yet I still remember it today.

My first/second/third/fourth death on Siege was to a liz man at the Brit Inn [the then starting pointing for all char's] I been playing for maybe a month and decided to check out Siege and made a mage only to appear in game at the step of the Inn [as you normally do] but with a liz man next to me, well he kick my butt before I could type guard [I was in shock, a liz man in town], afraid I lose my 100 gold and my little bag of 3 each reg I went to the healer next door for a rez then try to gather my items from my body only to be stuck down again. I found out that "guard" would not work either that day either.

Running back to the healer I again ran back to retrive my items, again stuck down, I tried twice more after that, seeing that I could not retrive my items I log out as a ghost to wait another day before returning.

M

MeMn0cH

Hello there Kimi..

First time I've seen ya post in awhile.. Imma assume its your first since your incident..

In such a case, Welcome back..

*hugs* <33's Romen Noodles?

L

Limdul

I mean my first mage ever when I first started. Ran outta town and proceeded to get attacked by a snake...killing it was easy but I couldn't cure. As I tried to run I died behind a house...And since I was new I didn't empty out anything from my starting pack...So I lost my gold/regs/and the few random things I was gonna sell (about a week later I learned about the transparency option).

G

ummm Mine would be committing newbie suicide.

*back in the day* haha my son got me UO for a gift. He was in the USNavy and he had played UO since beta. He felt UO would be a good way for us to hang out when he was half way around the planet or further. So he came home on leave for 2wks. taught me how to use the computer, and how to play Ultima Online. In fact it was my son that created my first ever character for me 8 yrs ago and he named her Queen Zen. He said 'she is soooo you mom'.

So his leave was up and I had to learn some things by myself in UO. Well I was experimenting with learning the spells in me new spellbook. I had tried ever spell from first thru third circle NP.

I get to 4th circle and I seen this one spell wondered what the heck that spell was all about..so I cast it. OH THE HUMANITY !!!!

Nobody told me you had to target those suckers onto something.. and I was newbie how would I know ya had to *aim* them onto something ?

Heck I didnt even know what...blade spirits were. I was in Delucia in town, by the healer hut on my first ever pretty blue ostard pet. I loved my blue osty. So I cast the spell...blade spirits ..no clue that I had to AIM/target them at something. These monsterous blades were whirrling all about ..and the made me go grey as well. I was exterminated quite swiftly !!! WORSE yet then the blades went after my pretty blue ostard ..no pet bonding back then ..........and me ostard tried so valiently to fight..yet ended up like so many blue berries in a blender he was exterminated to shreds crying out all the while as he tried to defend himself. . then he is a osty birdy corpsey on the ground. I about wept.

I will never forget that horror of my death which barely mattered compared to the horrid death of my beloved blue ostard dying right along with me, as I experimented just once to cast blade spirits on that newbie day 8 yrs ago !!

Here we are yrs. later and I still do not like to cast..blade spirits ! I will cast anything else haha but ...me casting blade spirits is just asking for my own newbie memories of me own ..suicide ! HAHAHA

K

Kat SP

I had a rather odd template during my first year on UO. I started as a tamer, but after getting to 60/65 taming and lore, I became bored. My bright idea was to keep those two tamer skills so I could keep my mare [the minimum requirements for various pets were very low back then], and make her into a fencer/warrior.

Eventually I became a 5xgm warrior who rode a pretty nightmare. One evening after I had been out killing, I strolled into Moonglow for a brief break. I stored some items in me bank box and then hopped off my mare to feed it. I suppose I was a bit of a show off back then and loved watching my mare "rare up" on its hind legs just after feeding it. So I double click the horse to get back on and it was only when my mare began attacking me in the middle of town, that I realized I was still in war mode! Of course, I couldn't control the darn thing, so my only choice was to try and escape. Alas, I only made it as far as the Armor shop where I died at Enrique's [The Armorer himself] feet.

Oh the shame! I was so embarrassed and of course Enrique couldn't resist offering up a comment after I gave up the ghost and said "Well Hello there!".

G

I was going to train a thief. So I bought myself a pack llama in Trinsic, a couple of dye tubs, tried to take one from the packy and KABOOM.

I must have read over the part that you must make sure to do this outside
town

Kind regards

G

I was a newblet on Siege in Britain and this blue [evil] was poisoned and says to me, "Ineluki can u cure me pls!!" (Ineluki was my original char)

So I cast cure. And then I found out it was "illegal" to cure an [evil] in town. The fellow and his friend were kind enough to clarify that while looting me by remarking, "lol dont u know u can't cure evils in town?"

That was the day I learned not to cure evils in town, and how unjust was our justice system

M

Mandolin

Had been on a UO break for quite some time... logged in at WBB and saw all these huge horrific blue beetles. Immediately grabbed a weapon from my bank box thinking to myself "great.. I come back right in the middle of an invasion". Attacked the first beetle and didn't even get a chance to finish reading the owners' "What are you doing?!" before I saw gray.

S

Sloan

dying to my beetle, Shiney Hiney. I fed him and then tried to mount him while still in town and in war mode.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was a newblet on Siege in Britain and this blue [evil] was poisoned and says to me, "Ineluki can u cure me pls!!" (Ineluki was my original char)

So I cast cure. And then I found out it was "illegal" to cure an [evil] in town. The fellow and his friend were kind enough to clarify that while looting me by remarking, "lol dont u know u can't cure evils in town?"

That was the day I learned not to cure evils in town, and how unjust was our justice system

[/ QUOTE ]Ah the joys of "arch protection" with a hidden grey. *thou wilt regret thine actions swine* And I will enjoy thy loot newb.

my first doh death was a death gate to deceit. The nasty part was, I knew it was a death gate. I cast the gate. I popped through to loot the poor sucker and umm well long story short, forgot that I had the rune still on me instead of in the bank. See, once upon a time Liches were scary, and runes didn't have the nice blessed book to put them in. oooOOoOOOOooO!! As I wander around trying to get off of Dagger Island. Wound up sneaking on a ship as a ghost and hopping a ride home that way. To this day I still wish there was a teleporter off that damned island.

I was an ass and help stuck was still a gm call, didn't really want to explain the circumstances of my stupidity.

M

Mandolin

Oh! That reminds me of my stupidest Siege death! I forget who the person was but they were DTA, anyways they were in Cove and I'm a paperdoll snooper, so I double-click on them and *wham* grayscale... I satup half the night wondering what kind of weapon they had that would kill me with one hit.. until the next morning when it occurred to me that I was in war-mode and red. Guards for the win.. again.

G

Sometime in '98, my rl friend and housemate on Napa was training wrestling afk on a goat he had blocked in the house. Something messed up with his EZ Macro and he wound up dying to the goat. We called him 'goatboy" for months afterward.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so many times i have done All Kill and somehow targeted myself or my words.

when I first started a guy tricked me in town by telling me to hold the tab key while i double click him. (before I know the key shortcuts)

The most horrific slaughter I ever saw was 3 of us did a t-map level 5 (highest at that time) on justice isle. its a small enough isle and just as the monsters sprang up some guild gated about 4 steps away into the frey. as they came threw the gate everyone was lagging and the monsters tore them up. They keep coming in and dieing. about 6 i think of them. was a mess.

The second slaughter was in trinsic dungeon level 3 - the bottom level where jail cells are. I and another were in a cell when we saw a gate opening. we were sure it was a pk squad. so we cast firefield in every square of the cell but our corner. Again I think all the things going on lagged them so they came in and stood there and died.

Lorddog

L

Limdul

I actually just thought of my stupidest death. When vorpals first came out I would make a macro for attack last target so they would stay next to me and lay something heave across the key I used. well i killed one went back to town and proceded to rez someone....needless to say after they were rezed I attacked my last target and got guard wacked. Took me a few mins to figure out what happened.

I

Ibichi_Wakayama

ohh I have had many. But the one that embarasses me the most after having played for 5 years...when we first got to Siege, I would go to Ish by the rat spawn area up from the Meer Village to train my pet, get some taming gains on the things in the area. Low and Behold a paragon hind spawns...I think no biggie to kill and mention it in vent....damn thing took me out in no time since I forgot I was not that strong. And to have my guildmates hear it was the worse.

G

Don't let her fool you, this was yesterday.

I have never died.

M

MeMn0cH

<blockquote><hr>

ohh I have had many. But the one that embarasses me the most after having played for 5 years...when we first got to Siege, I would go to Ish by the rat spawn area up from the Meer Village to train my pet, get some taming gains on the things in the area. Low and Behold a paragon hind spawns...I think no biggie to kill and mention it in vent....damn thing took me out in no time since I forgot I was not that strong. And to have my guildmates hear it was the worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had worse..

A few months ago (probably about 4?) Well during the summer.. REV put up a harrower, and it was for fire dungeon near the dungeon imp/mongbat spawn.. Low and behold the spawn is active.. I was trying to work my way to the harrower, kinda got lost (made a wrong turn) and got pinned in by a horde of mongbats AND IMPS I sware!.. and I died..

To this day they tease me about it, they tease me about it.. I think one of them is still waiting to give me a "Owned by no one" Mongbat protection talismen..

G

A couple years back, when I was relitively new on Siege, my Magery was just
high enough to cast BS with a reasonable chance of success. I had taken to
doing Vorpal Bunnies in the Moonglow Cotton Field. Plant a thorn, move far
enough away so he didn't flag on me when he poped up, then drop 2 Blade
Spirits on him. Well, one time I didn't move quite far enough away, and when
he came up, he was on me like ugly on an ape. Tried to cast BS to start working
on him, maybe even distract the little fur-ball, but, being that I had 0 weapon
skill, kept getting interupted, with 1,1,1 going over my head every 1/2 sec.

Tried running to put some distance between us and try to Hide, but he was able
to keep up with me in the confines of the field, and all the time 1,1,1... Finally
ran for the gate, and headed up the path for the Zoo with this little Deamon
Spawn snapping at my heels all the way, and again 1,1,1...

I started with about 90 HPs, and they ran out just before I got to the Cemetary.
Went into town to get rezed and went back with vengency in my eyes. Found
my body and recovered all my belongings, then went looking for him. Found him
a bit to the east, but just as I started Casting, he started digging back into the
ground.

I sware, to this day, every time I pass that area, I can hear a snickering comming
from beneith the ground.

G

I have had several 'deaths' I would prefer to forget their cause...but I too have learned the hard way about casting certain spells...*blades* Never, Never attack a blades spell. Unless you are certain you can take it down...*I did not know about 'dispel spell'.*

T

Toodamndrunk

Ok I ran across this patch of earth the other day and all the Giant Ants came out around 4 or 5. I started running back and shooting and all of a sudden this green spit hits me and takes me down to almost dead so I keep running what I can. I get some distance and SS a few times and decide to shoot this thing from a distance I kill 3 or 4 of them with out much problems but this one keeps spitting at me. Finally he knocks the "S" tamina out of me and I decide ok its you or me I am down to no readable line and pow I drop the little bugger. I was so excited ran up up to claim my loot and pow I am dead. I went from excited to "SOB who the hell just .. . " Guess what when those suckers die, sometimes they leave green pools just uner their body's you cant see. It does some kick a$$ damage.

Well I find it funny now

G

Cast summon daemon
pre cast invis
run inside dungeon
say "all kill"
target self

whoopsie poopsie!

T

TarotDTA

I was killed by Pyrite once
It was in the early days of champ spawning
I guess she was trying to heal me

S

Sunni

It was the first time I had ever tried to work my resist. I hadnt been playing for maybe more than six months. I was using lightening, and when it wasnt effective anymore, I then started using ebolt. Got a gain on the first one, was so excited, cast second one without healing.... OoOOOoo

G

I was stealthed (STEALTH TAMER ooooooooooooo) and saw an enemy player coming towards Luna. Not at the guard zone but near actual wall enterance.
In some kind of scatter brained error I made my pets attack me. (Beetle, Mare)
Died the player walked over and looted my body. It was fitting for my screw up.

K

Kat SP

Uhh... Mr Staff person... Why are you digging up such an old thread?

G

I'm not sure about most shameful, but my most memorable?

2001 Chesapeake Tournament Held by X-Undead and Iceman.

Last round, me and a guy named Cadul, and if anyone here reading this played Chesapeake I'm sure you remember Cadul. The fight went on for about 45 minutes, with both sides having random people going on reg bag runs, finally I forget to check my reg supply(I just got UOA this year, after about 10 years of playing) and I died to a fake out combo that I still remember

Explosion
poison/dagger interrupt
energy bolt
poison
harm harm
energy bolt/dagger interrupt
poison
Magic arrow
lightning

Dead Malcate

But I made it to the last round with arguably the best dueler to ever play Chesapeake

G

LOL wow well my real life friend Sir Haward who got me into this game... set me up on Siege when I was 18... will be 25 in October anyway was telling me to be careful where I trained etc. or I would get pk'd and loose all my stuff...

So I was very careful back then... but one day I was training my skill and in Compassion I was on foot and a group of Reds pk'd me I got ganked bye about 4 of them

So I call HaHa I am like man I just got ganked bye a group of reds... so him and a few KGB roll up to my location... and the guys who ganked me were all riding Ridge Backs they all started laughing ...

They were NPC savages
but all I was told back then was to look out for reds... so ya I was a major noob at that moment lol

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cadul theres a name of a great pvper right there, forgot hm. Wow thats nuts.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a old post. When Aos came out I placed a house in Malis. I was standing in my new plot and the phone rings. I could still hear the game and hear the noise of a Ossert and thought nothing of it, i stayed on the phone. When i came back i see a gray screen and a vampire bat over my bones. By the time I run to Umbra try to find the healer and run back to my house though all the lag my body and all the items i bought for my new house where gone.