• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What UO was like 10 years ago, and what would make it great once again.

I

imyy4u

I used to be a UO player 10 years ago. I quit in 1999, after I started college, and sold my account for hundreds of dollars on ebay back when UO accounts first started being sold there. The reason I quit then, and why I probably won't ever return, are most likely the reasons why so many others have quit, and why UO now has half the people it had in 2003 at its peak. If UO ever hopes to regain it's former glory, it needs to do the following:

1) Keep 2D graphics, etc. No one cares about the fancy graphics, that is not what makes UO great.

2) Bring back the OLD (and I mean OLD) PvP and notoriety system. Back then, you were Blue, Grey, or Red...and the more extreme on each side you were, the better your title. For example there were Dread Lords...the most famous and most evil of evil Murderers. These people were nothing more than serial killers. This is what made the game great - like real life, one of these guys could attack you at any moment, with or without your consent. There was no insurance or anything but your bank box - anything you had on you, including house keys, etc., was lootable by ANYONE, not just the person that killed you. They could not go into any towns, because they'd be killed on site, and had really hard times getting resurrected. However there was NO stat loss of any kind. Conversely, the really goody goody people were Great Lords, and they would often help newer players, and defend against reds. These were the people who would often fight in huge groups against the red to gain fame, etc.

3) No stat cap/skill caps. If you played 24 hours/day, you could gain stats 24 hours/day. All the skills had actual value, and were worthwhile. Magery was the hardest skill to gain, but was easily the most powerful. Theives actually had a role.

3) Make player made stuff the most useful, not stuff found in dungeons. Most people wore GM made armor - which was the best. 1 of a kind and rare items were cool, but not as useful as player crafted things. This made those skills have real value, especially since people could be killed at any time and lose whatever they had on them. Not to mention most people didn't dare take out their one of a kind items for fear of losing them.

4) Bring back the PK. Now I'm sure most people groan at this, but come on! Stop being a [censored]! If you worked for 10 hours to get whatever you have, and you were PK'ed, well you're an idiot for not putting your stuff in the bank! It's no fun when you KNOW you can't be killed by someone. That is what towns are for...the only area where you are really safe! The rest of the world should be dangerous...no risk, no fun. This is why Siege Perilous was invented, although even that is declining nowadays. If you don't like PKs, go to EQ or WoW. Or grow some balls. The removal of PKs is what started the demise of UO.

5) Stop adding random [censored] every time someone complains. Boo hoo, Joey lost an item. Tough [censored], he can find or buy another one. Don't add insurance or blessing or Soulstones. That's pu55y stuff.

6) Bring back real GMs and counselors. They actually did stuff back then, not canned responses. They actually appeared, too!

7) No indestructable items. Items often broke, and broke at the most inopportune times. Such is life, and such should be UO. If you broke your awesome item, go cry to mommy, and then find or buy another. Geez.

8) Basically, bring back UO circa 1997. This is what got many people into playing, and this is how UO was meant to be played. This is why it was so successful, until little by little it was killed off into what it was now.

*sigh*...too bad most of you were barely born when I was playing this game. It used to be great, now it's just sad. *sheds a tear*

G

Yeah, cause I want to have to cut Aaaaaaaall my band aids one by one by hand again... NOT!

S

slasherofveils

troll much?

<blockquote><hr>

*sigh*...too bad most of you were barely born when I was playing this game. It used to be great, now it's just sad. *sheds a tear*

[/ QUOTE ]

little ago was a thread on people's ages. UO has many more older people then kiddies. All the kiddies play the newer games with 3d graphics, not UO.

R

Repowski

I know what you're talking about... and while there are decent suggestions in there... this game has evolved into a totally different game. The one you remember will never exist again. I suggest you hold on to your memories, and stay away from the current game.

Just a couple of thoughts (of many) as to why this revert will never happen:

* The current player base is used to the way things are. If we reverted back to a time when you could lose / break things... quite a few people would leave the game, and we don't have a population large enough to support such a mass exodus.
* To make player crafted GM items the best in the game would require you to stop spawning many of the arties that exist now, as well as nerfing an entire world of items... basically rendering people's entire collections worthless. Again, mass exodus. Not going to happen.
* To bring back the risk of being killed, you would need to have pks allowed anywhere, or remove trammel all together. Again, people not going to stand for it... and most of the population would leave.

So, in the end there would be less than 100 people in the game left (including you and me sir) and we'd be glad to have the old days back... but for how long? And are we going to pay $1,000 a month or more per person to support the development team to keep our old system alive? Not me, not me.

You see, the system we have now has been built by many years of people asking, begging, whinning, praying, wishing... for things. They've slowly been given these things in order to keep the cash flow coming into the game, (most likely with the knowledge from EA that they're taking short term cash at the expense of long term... but we're still here 10 years later, so the joke's on us) and now you have a whole population of (pardon the word) spoiled players. The risk is minimized, the rewards maximized, and if you've ever been around children you know that its nearly impossible to tame a spoiled child.

We have what we have... and that's going to be the end of that. So forget the dreams of the "good old days". That was then, and this is now. Facts of life sir, facts of life.

(disclaimer: I started this game in 1998... so I've seen most of this first hand, and while I do wish the same things as you sometimes, I just deal with the fact the it will never be that way again)

I

imyy4u

What if they brought back the original UO, but made more problems for reds. I.E. kind of like the bounty board, only if you were red and were killed, your character got like 5 resurrections and then was perma-dead. That would be a fair enough trade-off in order to be able to PK anyone, anywhere, anytime, and to be able to loot their bodies. You turn red, you only get to res 5 times.

I think that would've made the perfect UO...

I

imyy4u

*sigh* you are probably right. The game has been built exactly like you said. But would it kill them to make ONE server, just ONE, with the same rules/code that the game had when it was first released? No trammel, etc., just the original world? I would sign up for UO in a second, and play only that shard.

I

imyy4u

So you're saying my opinions shouldn't matter because I quit playing the game 9 years ago? That my opinion should matter less?

Seriously, man, just because I don't play anymore doesn't mean I have no input on the game and what I'd like to see. I'd say I have just as much right as you do to voice my opinions on which direction the game should take.

I

imported_revenant2

Hm...

I played back in like 1998 and quit after a few years, and came back almost a year and a half ago.

I like the way it is now better than it was before. It's by no means perfect nowadays but a tremendous number of problems have been resolved, and the game as it is today allows for more kinds of people to be comfortable in it (Tram/Fel).

I remember the inability to do PVM without potentially being griefed by other players, the unwillingness to actually take out and use your best items due to the real possibility of losing them, the overpowered Stealing skill and having to have hiding on your char just to go to the bank, the misery of setting up a char's stats (stats changed based upon what skills you used - my swords mage had mining and blacksmithing built up simply as a means to build his str/HP), and how it was misery to try to get yourself a decent sized house. I could go on for a while with details like this.

The unsophistication of the game behavior hurt it back then too - I remember the trade window problems and easy scams that resulted from that and the vendors which, when they fell, would drop all of the goods to the ground to decay.

So many people left back then due to reasons that don't exist in today's UO. I wouldn't want those days back.

Siege Perilous does NOT duplicate those old days btw, Siege is a lot better overall. Some of the people on Siege may PK everywhere on the shard but, everyone is there because they want to be there and in the end, they want YOU to be there too.

Something I'd LOVE to see be done differently, in a way that would superficially resemble the oldschool system, would be an intelligently-implemented change to the skillcap system. See... I enjoyed taking my swords mage out and mining with him, he wasn't a crappy little mule, he was my fighter. If someone felt the driving urge to show up and try to PK him, they would have a fight on their hands. I'd love to see the ability to stack crafting + fighting skills on the same char, utilizing seperate skillcaps for each category. No more helpless mules.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

So you're saying my opinions shouldn't matter because I quit playing the game 9 years ago? That my opinion should matter less?

Seriously, man, just because I don't play anymore doesn't mean I have no input on the game and what I'd like to see. I'd say I have just as much right as you do to voice my opinions on which direction the game should take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trolls still spawn in the Dungeon Despise and in the woods east of the Yew Moongate.

-Galen's player

G

<blockquote><hr>

Damn....We keep hitting new lows on this board when it comes to people who don't play telling us how things should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made me laugh.

In all honesty, for every detrimental change I think there have generally been a couple of positives, at least in terms of playability for the average Joe or Josephina not to discount the participation of the ladies.

The one glaring exception to this is our overall item properties with their relationship to crafting and combat, whether pvp or pvm. Its too complicated for a "casual" gamer, and begging pardon in advance, its just entirely too simplistic to be termed an in depth system for crafting. A lot of the properties fail to make sense. (I know I know get over it, its a fantasy game)

The real thing that we have moved away from over the years to the detriment of the game is a profusion of immersibility. But as a result of the loss of those things we supposedly made it easier to become an accomplished player in under six months, therefore encouraging people new to the game to take it up as a regular hobby.

The actual determination of success on that point I'll leave to other folks. What I know is that while I can't by myself do everything I want to do in game, and sometimes its challenging to gather enough of the right people to accomplish a group goal, that the fun IS in the journey and the learning and the trying and accomplishing. THAT is where there is still that immersive element. And that is why I continue to play. Over eight years now, and there are still dungeons I haven't hunted in. Says a lot. I will only be as bored in UO as I choose to be. Is there room for improvement? Yes, as with anything. But only those preparing to pass over spend the majority of their time reminiscing over what was.

I choose to look down the road and prepare for what is to come.

S

slasherofveils

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

opinions are like ****s, everyone has one.

That being said, this game isn't mainstream, and EA has left it with little more then a skeleton crew to continue development for UO. While it is nice to see people still think about this game they played nine years ago, don't expect to see a mass exodus of people jump all over to follow your post, which closely resembles the 28163 other "UO was better {insert time frame here}" troll posts which come along now and then.

Actually the only thing this thread is missing is the traditional KR vs Legacy client battle royale that usually happens by about the thirteenth or so reply...

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do think he's a little harsh in his response to you... he has a bit of a point. Folks like him have been on the boards and making suggestions for years and years... they know whats in the game now, how it works and how it doesn't.

When someone who hasn't been around for an extended period of time begins to criticize the game... it's tough to know if they really know what's in the game now and how it works ... and why it works the way it does before they begin to tell the world why its wrong.

Again, I'm not saying I don't agree with some of your statements - just know you're coming a bit out of left field to the folks on this board who have been active players for the last 9 years.

R

Repowski

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Damn....We keep hitting new lows on this board when it comes to people who don't play telling us how things should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made me laugh.

In all honesty, for every detrimental change I think there have generally been a couple of positives, at least in terms of playability for the average Joe or Josephina not to discount the participation of the ladies.

The one glaring exception to this is our overall item properties with their relationship to crafting and combat, whether pvp or pvm. Its too complicated for a "casual" gamer, and begging pardon in advance, its just entirely too simplistic to be termed an in depth system for crafting. A lot of the properties fail to make sense. (I know I know get over it, its a fantasy game)

The real thing that we have moved away from over the years to the detriment of the game is a profusion of immersibility. But as a result of the loss of those things we supposedly made it easier to become an accomplished player in under six months, therefore encouraging people new to the game to take it up as a regular hobby.

The actual determination of success on that point I'll leave to other folks. What I know is that while I can't by myself do everything I want to do in game, and sometimes its challenging to gather enough of the right people to accomplish a group goal, that the fun IS in the journey and the learning and the trying and accomplishing. THAT is where there is still that immersive element. And that is why I continue to play. Over eight years now, and there are still dungeons I haven't hunted in. Says a lot. I will only be as bored in UO as I choose to be. Is there room for improvement? Yes, as with anything. But only those preparing to pass over spend the majority of their time reminiscing over what was.

I choose to look down the road and prepare for what is to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to see what the average lifetime value of a subscriber is these days....

As in, I came out around 2nd age time period... so the lifetime value for me would be the number of years since that release... was the average subscriber value from that release 18 months, and the average lifetime value for age of shadows 12 months? (totally made up these numbers)... be very interesting to see how the changes have affected what really matters - How long people stick around and pay to play the game.

I

imported_Coppelia

<blockquote><hr>

What if they brought back the original UO, but made more problems for reds. I.E. kind of like the bounty board, only if you were red and were killed, your character got like 5 resurrections and then was perma-dead. That would be a fair enough trade-off in order to be able to PK anyone, anywhere, anytime, and to be able to loot their bodies. You turn red, you only get to res 5 times.

I think that would've made the perfect UO...

[/ QUOTE ]
You're already asking for modification. You don't want UO like it was back then. Everyone has a different vision about what was good back then. Everyone will want something different, and everyone will ask for updates of such a shard. And of course everyone will go there, won't see any innocent there and will whine "it's not how it was back then wahwahwah".

So, who cares about your nostalgia?
You want a pre-pub X + updates shard? Play a private shard. EA doesn't want to invest in one, nor several servers like that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

troll much?

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

little ago was a thread on people's ages. UO has many more older people then kiddies. All the kiddies play the newer games with 3d graphics, not UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are just as bad as he is. Nice stereotype. Pfft...

G

If People come here so often and post that, you would think you would be open enough to realize that there are far more than a few of us, also, to say that you shouldnt take the opinions of someone who quit, think about that for a second or two, take the population in 2003, subtract the population that is still here now, and how many people exactly are there they shouldnt listen to?

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think all the changes over the years are bad, but I will always hate the AoS item system. It ruined alot of the fun I had in the game, I shall always miss being a blacksmith.

D

DrMcguilicudy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you play, frankly NO you do not get a voice. Sorry.

G

Bring back macing that damages armor on the foe ... that'll handle breakage!

Increase overland spawn in hunting areas ... it used to be Candelabra Point (or whatever) near Yew was like Reaper Point N of Minoc is today.

Where are random bandit and orc camps like there used to be?

Where is a stray ogre running the road between Brit and Skara just to tease the folks with it's grunts?

I

imyy4u

OK, a few comments:

1) I understand lots of people say the game used to be better x (days, years, months) ago. What I wonder is why EA forces these changes. Every time there is a patch, etc., make a new server/shard with that code. Let the people who want to transfer their chars for free to the new shard if they wish, or stay on the old one with the old code. The result of this is that many different versions of the game will coexist, so that players can choose which versions are right for them. When a server falls below X players, EA can deprecate it, and shut it down, after giving the players one last option to transfer out. Then this server can become available for the next release. This way, people can CHOOSE which version of UO they want to play...which would be AWESOME.

2) How could they have lost the code from 97/98? If so, that is the most irresponsible thing I have ever heard. Many player-ran servers ran on this code...so someone out there must have it!!!

3) I don't care what people say, there CANNOT be a safe haven world. It ruins any game. If you are too much of a pu55y to risk losing your items or get PK'ed, too damn bad. It needs to be more like real-life...perhaps perma-death for the murderers when they're killed 5 times? Or a jail sentence when they die/get captured? As in the character cant be used for 5 months real life time, etc.? And the players could be the judge/jury! What about that?! That would make consequences so PKing wouldn't be rampant, but it would STILL be an option at least.

4) Last, but not least, don't tell me I don't know UO. I may not play now, but I know how it used to be, and how much I used to love it. From watching others play now, it is a totally different game - in a bad way. It should not require 6 months for a veteran to build a character - but it should not take 1 week either. Make stats take time, but don't put a limit on how much stats can be raised in one day...

G

The greater majority of players now didnt get to see what life was like with the choices that were offered at first, and so they think we are day dreamers.... they also cant seem to grasp how many people have left due to these changes they cling to... i wonder which of us are more dense... those of us clinging to the past, or those of them thinking this is what we have to settle for...

G

You know. I'm just sittin here tryin to think of what in my life is exactly the way it was ten years ago.

Damn little. And of those things that are EXACTLY the same if you would have asked me ten years ago if they were things that I would want to remain unchanged for the next decade, I would have told ya no.

Density could mean you sink faster, could also mean you make a better foundation.

Fact remains that the point of the thread is moot, unless we propose moving forward by reintroducing some aspects that got inadvertently muscled to the side.

I mean you can still choose to be a shirtless mage in a skirt or a nekkid miner. I just think you are going to find the results of doing so to be slightly altered from what you remember.

G

I don't understand all this 'UO needs to be like real-life' stuff.

Why? I already have to deal with enough BS from idiots in real-life....I certainly would not pay for that crap to happen to me. I play UO for entertainment, for fun.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't understand all this 'UO needs to be like real-life' stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I can tell you that you are NOT in the minority. You mentioned griefing and grief style play whether PK or other later in your post, and those are the very reasons that changes were made. Lots of the results of this "the game is like real life stuff, simply did not work as intended. And so changes were made to make the game more enjoyable, because enjoyment, in the end, is exactly what we are paying for. But, on the other hand, enjoyment is a subjective term that will not apply the same way to every paying customer.

I'll try to be brief, while still giving enough explanation so as to be understandable.

Many of the Ultimas, not just the online version but many of the single player series (certainly IV and after, I can't recall if this applies before or not) had non player controlled characters, eventually all non player controlled characters with values and needs. They moved about on their own within the parameters of a schedule to meet their needs within their values. The result was a game unlike anything else on the market at the time because as a player you never felt like you were entering a static scene, just waiting for the player to arrive and interact with it. Players would feel more like they had found a place where life was happening and they were being allowed to participate.

Fast forward to UO. Even the creatures were initially set up with needs(food, gold, adventure, shelter/safety) and would persue those needs in a prioritized fashion( I sense I am hungry, now I seek food, I sense(after eating) that I should seek shelter) OK so wolves want meat and rabbits want grass. Both spawn in proximity to each other. Well eventually the wolves would get hungry enough to see the rabbits as "meat"(TADA, rl happening!)and attack them. Now a rabbit wants grass and so is hopping along minding its own business until it has to defend itself.
*Can I just tell you that rabbits and boars have HUGE hp regen if they are not "hungry"*

Ok so the meat (rabbit)has a very high dex and big hp regen because its full, the wolf is hungry and so has low stam, low stam regen and low hp regen. Guess what, the system breaks down and is inconsistant with life because, the rabbit learns to defend itself by improving its wrestling, tactics, and anatomy scores. And beats the wolf!

So now here comes new player Viquire, fresh from Britain. With a new bag of regs, a spellbook, and a wizards hat jauntily pulled down towards his eyebrows so we cant tell that they really aren't very bushy yet. And not unlike the wolf he sees something he can get from the rabbit in the form of practice, so he throws a fireball spell, which fizzles thrice before going off like he wants. When it hits the rabbit, the rabbit does not die, the rabits health bar goes down to just above half, and that rabbit gets P.O.'d! Chases Viquire toward the east bank from the forest east of town, nipping at his heels the whole way, and KILLS Viquire (lack luster mage wanna be no more) right in front of a guy learning to chop wood from trees, who helpfully takes Viquires robe, and bag of reagents and what little gold is left so no one "shady" would get them.

That was a long read probably. But there is TONS of stuff like that. Little and gigantic stuff all at the same time. It didn't always work the way they hoped, but it made the world seem deep and mysterious and about more than what you were doing. You were allowed to participate.

You can, in the present game still see the resource system at work in seekers of adventure, who ask to be taken to a dungeon, which is seen as a source of adventure, and "see" that they have found what they want when they arrive, no matter which dungeon you take them too. And I think blacksmiths, and blacksmith guild masters still thank you for giving them "metal or objects made from metal."

It doesn't "need" to be this way, its just more fun to some of us when it is.

J

jelake

<blockquote><hr>

OK, a few comments:
3) I don't care what people say, there CANNOT be a safe haven world. It ruins any game. If you are too much of a pu55y to risk losing your items or get PK'ed, too damn bad. It needs to be more like real-life...perhaps perma-death for the murderers when they're killed 5 times? Or a jail sentence when they die/get captured? As in the character cant be used for 5 months real life time, etc.? And the players could be the judge/jury! What about that?! That would make consequences so PKing wouldn't be rampant, but it would STILL be an option at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go play on Siege then if you yearn to grief newbies, crafters or those that like to solely PvM. UO would have died a long time ago if they never implemented Trammel.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You are going to have to prove that....

[/ QUOTE ]The market, and MMO theory, support that a non-con PvP environment is bad for an MMO.

G

I remember playing back in 1999 with some college friends. My friend had been playing for a while and initially showed me some things and helped me learn. The things I MOST remember were:

1) My friend telling me to attack the alligator... OooOoOooOoOOooooo!
2) Building that character up and having my friend gate me to "The Wall" in Deceit to build skill agains the Bone Knights, seeing all the crazy comments and people getting killed and looted when they didn't heal fast enough. The looters would then turn grey and if they couldn't hide fast enough, they, too, would be killed quickly, all the while 50 others kept beating one bone knight. Every once in a while someone would gate in and throw a greater explosion right in the middle of the crowd. LOTS of fun. Almost any time of day, you could go there and have a blast. Now nobody's there.
3) Brit Bank used to be the hang out. TONS of people there. Now there's not ONE person in Brit and there are about 1/10 as many people sitting around a bank in Luna.
4) I'm of mixed opinions about player created houses. Running around Luna, some of the houses are just horrific piles of lag-creating bad taste. I liked it better, to some extent, when the houses were predetermined. To some extent.
5) LAG does seem to have been eliminated, probably due to there being about 1/10 the people playing as there was back then.

Anyways, now the game is SO complicated, I'm having a GREATLY difficult time deciding what skills to choose. You can read solid for a week and still not know how to build a good character. But then again, I'm a newbie, once again.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

I used to be a UO player 10 years ago. I quit in 1999, after I started college, and sold my account for hundreds of dollars on ebay back when UO accounts first started being sold there. The reason I quit then, and why I probably won't ever return, are most likely the reasons why so many others have quit, and why UO now has half the people it had in 2003 at its peak. If UO ever hopes to regain it's former glory, it needs to do the following:

[/ QUOTE ]

UO peaked in 2003. At that time UO had had the Trammel ruleset for over 3 years. You didn't even play past 1999...obviously that was for a reason. People quit because new games came out. AoS was also a huge nightmare when it first came out and that didn't help things. However, without Trammel UO would have peaked way before 2003. Without Trammel UO probably wouldn't have made 10 years. They added Trammel when it became obvious that a Felucca ruleset was not attracting players. Hell, EQ made their original game with absolutely no PvP to cater to those in UO that wanted a Trammel ruleset.

<blockquote><hr>

1) Keep 2D graphics, etc. No one cares about the fancy graphics, that is not what makes UO great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of agree with this point; however, I don't have an issue with KR being a client as long as it doesn't mean they plan on discontinuing 2d.

<blockquote><hr>

2) Bring back the OLD (and I mean OLD) PvP and notoriety system. Back then, you were Blue, Grey, or Red...and the more extreme on each side you were, the better your title. For example there were Dread Lords...the most famous and most evil of evil Murderers. These people were nothing more than serial killers. This is what made the game great - like real life, one of these guys could attack you at any moment, with or without your consent. There was no insurance or anything but your bank box - anything you had on you, including house keys, etc., was lootable by ANYONE, not just the person that killed you. They could not go into any towns, because they'd be killed on site, and had really hard times getting resurrected. However there was NO stat loss of any kind. Conversely, the really goody goody people were Great Lords, and they would often help newer players, and defend against reds. These were the people who would often fight in huge groups against the red to gain fame, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You remember the good things about this system and none of the bad. I wasn't around when this system existed because my friend who wanted me to play this game told me that this is how the game worked and I said I would never try it.

<blockquote><hr>

3) No stat cap/skill caps. If you played 24 hours/day, you could gain stats 24 hours/day. All the skills had actual value, and were worthwhile. Magery was the hardest skill to gain, but was easily the most powerful. Theives actually had a role.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way to drop skills either or lock skills...you could cap out at 700 on junk skills and then you just had to remake your character.

<blockquote><hr>

3) Make player made stuff the most useful, not stuff found in dungeons. Most people wore GM made armor - which was the best. 1 of a kind and rare items were cool, but not as useful as player crafted things. This made those skills have real value, especially since people could be killed at any time and lose whatever they had on them. Not to mention most people didn't dare take out their one of a kind items for fear of losing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Player stuff should be useful but you find many more dungeon crawlers than crafters so destroying the dungeon crawling play style is a dumb idea.

<blockquote><hr>

4) Bring back the PK. Now I'm sure most people groan at this, but come on! Stop being a [censored]! If you worked for 10 hours to get whatever you have, and you were PK'ed, well you're an idiot for not putting your stuff in the bank! It's no fun when you KNOW you can't be killed by someone. That is what towns are for...the only area where you are really safe! The rest of the world should be dangerous...no risk, no fun. This is why Siege Perilous was invented, although even that is declining nowadays. If you don't like PKs, go to EQ or WoW. Or grow some balls. The removal of PKs is what started the demise of UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

SP is declining because people don't want to play there. People don't want to play there because they don't like PKs. I am sure you can do the math.

<blockquote><hr>

5) Stop adding random [censored] every time someone complains. Boo hoo, Joey lost an item. Tough [censored], he can find or buy another one. Don't add insurance or blessing or Soulstones. That's pu55y stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is much better to lose skills everytime you start a new character and to throw away 10 million each time you die. Do you see yourself typing? Are you seriously that out of touch with reality of what players want and what players think?

<blockquote><hr>

6) Bring back real GMs and counselors. They actually did stuff back then, not canned responses. They actually appeared, too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they did things like ban people because their friends wanted them to. They also did things like create illegal items because those items were rares. They also did things like bless houses that still haven't fallen to this day in places people would love to place and some of those houses haven't even been visited in years.

<blockquote><hr>

7) No indestructable items. Items often broke, and broke at the most inopportune times. Such is life, and such should be UO. If you broke your awesome item, go cry to mommy, and then find or buy another. Geez.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your car breaks down you fix it? Oh, I am sorry...you just leave it on the side of the road because it is "no longer usable". The same is said of UO...when you spend 10 million gold on something you are willing to put the gold into repairing it and keeping it in decent working order instead of waiting for it to break and dropping it on the ground.

<blockquote><hr>

8) Basically, bring back UO circa 1997. This is what got many people into playing, and this is how UO was meant to be played. This is why it was so successful, until little by little it was killed off into what it was now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trammel was added to the game because players requested it and many players left the Felucca only gank fest that you seem to remember so fondly. I am going to guess at this point that you were either a theif or a pker or both.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because when I was born in 1979, we didn't even know what a computer or game was, so I am sure I wasn't born before UO came out. You seem to remember things fondly although many people seem to remember them as the messes that they actually were. I agree that AoS was poorly implimented, but I don't agree that any of the changes you suggested make any sense at all. You might actually be more out of touch with what players want from games then most developers are and that is just scary.

A

Avalonia

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes because I can totally see how paying for this game for 10 years means you have as little say as someone that only payed for two years. I think the fact that this poster actually sunk time, money, and investment into the game and you did not gives him MUCH MORE say in the game then you will EVER have. If you don't beleive so then get over yourself and go away.