• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What type of damage does an Artic Ogre Lord ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From Arctic Ogre Lord - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia I read that an Artic Ogre Lord has no Magery, no Eval Int and no Meditation.

It has Wrestling and Tactics.

Do I then understand it as correctly that, using Spellweaving Dryad Allure on an Artic Ogre Lord the damage that it would do would be purely physical from the use of wrestling and that the Ogre would use no spells whatsoever to attack its target ?

Thanks for the info.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would assume it would do 30% physical and 70$ Cold as UOGuide states.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have a tamer. go Lore it:

1681671505169.png 1681671527616.png 1681671545697.png
1681671564555.png 1681671585939.png 1681671618511.png

They do more cold damage than physical. Just like your link says.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe we can get him to stay here when UO Forums comes online again so everybody be nice to him LOL

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have a tamer. go Lore it:

View attachment 142708 View attachment 142709 View attachment 142710
View attachment 142711 View attachment 142712 View attachment 142713

They do more cold damage than physical. Just like your link says.
I was more interested to know whether it does any type of spellcasting damage be it magery, necromancy, spellweaving, mysticism, chivalry, bushido or ninjitsu....

But it looks like the only skills present are Wrestling, Tactics, Resisting Spells and Detecting hidden so, unless it was to be some sort of "hidden" spellcasting ability of some kind, it should not be able to cast any type of spell...

Am I right ?

Oh wait, does it do any type of "Cold Area" damage ? Or is it that the cold damage that it does is still delivered through Wrestling and it thus is a direct hit type of damage and not an area type of damage ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was more interested to know whether it does any type of spellcasting damage be it magery, necromancy, spellweaving, mysticism, chivalry, bushido or ninjitsu....

But it looks like the only skills present are Wrestling, Tactics, Resisting Spells and Detecting hidden so, unless it was to be some sort of "hidden" spellcasting ability of some kind, it should not be able to cast any type of spell...

Am I right ?

Oh wait, does it do any type of "Cold Area" damage ? Or is it that the cold damage that it does is still delivered through Wrestling and it thus is a direct hit type of damage and not an area type of damage ?
The lore can be seen by your tamer, I posted them here. Maybe you do not know how to read Lore pages.

1681688047630.png

They have no magic abilities as seen by the pages above.

There is no Lore and Knowledge sheet that says they have any specials, since they have none.

Those would appear on their own sheet.
This is not an Arctic Ogre Lord
1681688192610.png

When a mob has no other specials it does not have this sheet. The AOL does not have this page since nothing is there.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The lore can be seen by your tamer, I posted them here. Maybe you do not know how to read Lore pages.

View attachment 142745

They have no magic abilities as seen by the pages above.

There is no Lore and Knowledge sheet that says they have any specials, since they have none.

Those would appear on their own sheet.
This is not an Arctic Ogre Lord
View attachment 142746

When a mob has no other specials it does not have this sheet. The AOL does not have this page since nothing is there.
But perhaps it's a hidden power or that's how i don’t see it

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@popps you should be asking yourself why you want to use the extra spells in Weaving,

A pet is much better than Dryad Allure.
1681688486534.png

But the game has choices, if you want to drag around an Ogre or Orc then go for it, but that is not the most effective helper.

Orc Brute is much cooler looking.
1681688678626.png

similar stats:
1681688742125.png

But does 100% physical damage.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am kinda wondering if Popps just found out pets use wrestling for their melee (weapon) damage and the type of damage is based on their damage spread. Sounds like he thinks wresting is only 100% physical damage on pets.

Hopefully he will retain this.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am kinda wondering if Popps just found out pets use wrestling for their melee (weapon) damage and the type of damage is based on their damage spread. Sounds like he thinks wresting is only 100% physical damage on pets.

Dang You telling me that my Cu doesn't do any Phy Damage LOL

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@popps you should be asking yourself why you want to use the extra spells in Weaving,

A pet is much better than Dryad Allure.
View attachment 142747

But the game has choices, if you want to drag around an Ogre or Orc then go for it, but that is not the most effective helper.

Orc Brute is much cooler looking.
View attachment 142748

similar stats:
View attachment 142749

Hmmm, if you are highlighting this, do I then understand it correctly that the Artic Ogre Lord uses spells when fighting, while the Orc Brute uses no spells ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What I am having a hard time to assess, is, just from looking at their stats, is whether a given Pet or, in the case of this thread, a pet controlled by means of Dryad Allure, uses any type of spell or not when fighting....

I thought, looking at the Artic Ogre Lord lored stats, that it had no spellcasting skill and, thus, that it was then unable to cast any type of spell and only did physical damage, no area damage either (cold area damage... as it does not show specifically in the lored stats ages).... instead, at least by reading your reply where you suggested using an Orc Brute, rather then an Artic Ogre Lord, I seem to understand that, an Artic Ogre Lord might make use of spells (or had a cold area damage ?) while the Orc Brute has none of this and only relies on "direct hit" damage which is Physical.....

Is that so ?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Hmmm, if you are highlighting this, do I then understand it correctly that the Artic Ogre Lord uses spells when fighting, while the Orc Brute uses no spells ?
How can AOL use spells if it knows no magic?
No . It uses no spells. It just fights. Or stays still while you training your weapon skill on him.

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Arctic ogre lord doesn’t use spells. It does purely melee damage. That damage is just split between physical and cold as per the lore screen. No different to you using a cold damage weapon, still melee just of cold damage instead of physical. Just because it isn’t physical damage doesn’t mean it’s using spells or magic

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What the pancakes are you talking about? I said an Orc Brute looks cooler. And showed a picture of one.

Have you never fought anything in the game? When was the last time any Ogre cast a spell at you.

Why do you think Cus are more popular than Lesser Hiryus. Lessers get a much bulkier build but they do 100% physical damage.

Maybe you should play UO more and stop rebutting every answer you see.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What I am having a hard time to assess, is, just from looking at their stats, is whether a given Pet or, in the case of this thread, a pet controlled by means of Dryad Allure, uses any type of spell or not when fighting....

I thought, looking at the Artic Ogre Lord lored stats, that it had no spellcasting skill and, thus, that it was then unable to cast any type of spell and only did physical damage, no area damage either (cold area damage... as it does not show specifically in the lored stats ages).... instead, at least by reading your reply where you suggested using an Orc Brute, rather then an Artic Ogre Lord, I seem to understand that, an Artic Ogre Lord might make use of spells (or had a cold area damage ?) while the Orc Brute has none of this and only relies on "direct hit" damage which is Physical.....

Is that so ?
Why do you talk like that in text ? It's been bothering me for years. I had assumed all this time that you were a native english user, but I'm beginning to think not.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why do you talk like that in text ? It's been bothering me for years. I had assumed all this time that you were a native english user, but I'm beginning to think not.
[
Thats as stupid a question as the original post.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can AOL use spells if it knows no magic?
No . It uses no spells. It just fights. Or stays still while you training your weapon skill on him.
Then, why was Pawain suggesting to use the Orc Brute, instead ?

Perhaps, the Artic Ogre Lord, while not using spells, still uses Cold Area Damage "aura" as some monsters in the Ice Dungeon do ? Although, this ability is not listed within the Artic Ogre Lord stats....

Does it use a cold, damaging area "aura" ?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then, why was Pawain suggesting to use the Orc Brute, instead ?

Perhaps, the Artic Ogre Lord, while not using spells, still uses Cold Area Damage "aura" as some monsters in the Ice Dungeon do ? Although, this ability is not listed within the Artic Ogre Lord stats....

Does it use a cold, damaging area "aura" ?
Is it listed under it's Lore pages?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arctic ogre lord doesn’t use spells. It does purely melee damage. That damage is just split between physical and cold as per the lore screen. No different to you using a cold damage weapon, still melee just of cold damage instead of physical. Just because it isn’t physical damage doesn’t mean it’s using spells or magic
Alright, no spells.... but does it make use of a cold damaging "aura" (area damage) as some monsters from the Ice Dungeon do ?

If it does, though, this is an ability not listed in its description nor among the shown stats in its Lore pages.....

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alright, no spells.... but does it make use of a cold damaging "aura" (area damage) as some monsters from the Ice Dungeon do ?

If it does, though, this is an ability not listed in its description nor among the shown stats in its Lore pages.....
Here, I went and did it for you, the arctic ogre lord doesn't have a "cold Aura" and when you stand beside it, you don't get damaged by one so no, it isn't a "hidden" ability Troll . . .

1681799666079.png

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As everyone has been trying really, really hard to say. Arctic Ogre Lords have no magic, and have no 'specials'. They just knock the *** out of you with a very cold fist. Clear now?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@popps you can tell if something has an Aura by hiding or invising and standing next to it.

1681823707065.png

If you stay invised, it does not have an aura.

But this requires you to log into UO and try things.

Did you skip the Dynamic Dungeon in Ice?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As everyone has been trying really, really hard to say. Arctic Ogre Lords have no magic, and have no 'specials'. They just knock the *** out of you with a very cold fist. Clear now?
Thanks, that is good to know !

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
you can walk into one and stand there while he hits you to confirm the cold damage ?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
you can walk into one and stand there while he hits you to confirm the cold damage ?
Nah - popps plays hypothetical UO vicariously through others.... based on that he makes suggestions to Devs on how to change the game. :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, you found my secret. That's the real reason to get those.