• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What to take on a 15 hour flight?

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If done a couple long trips, but I was wondering what everyone else takes with them. I will be flying Seattle or Seoul and I need some entertinment... My laptop is out of the equation as the keyboard is broke and I have to use a ghetto USB one.

S

SUPRsalad

bring yr own headphones, the ones they give you are usually crap. take some dramamine, and get one of those neck pillow things. it stops yr head from rolling around, and just sleep the whole way after a documentary on 'benjamin franklin' puts you down.... its usually what i do :thumbsup:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On my last trip my laptop was useless until I landed because I forgot to charge the battery before I left. Thank goodness I had my trusty iphone. I loaded up a movie and a few books on tape before I left as a backup, and was very glad I did. I also stuck 3 books in my carry on. I finished 2 of them before I landed.

S

SUPRsalad

oh wait, 15 friggin HOURS!?? lord.. yeah, yll need more than dramamine..
My wife has a nintendo DS. it works pretty good for stuff like that.

N

Nestorius

Some good light reading, sci-fi or fantasy... have you read the George RR Martin series yet?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A snack, a good book, and a mp3 player. I've been on those long flights around 15 hours multiple times and that's what always gets me through it. But definitely your own earphones for the in-flight movies just in case their earphones are not free.

Z

Zyron

Ahh..
for long trips my favorite thing is my ipod touch....

battery life isnt good but the apps are amazing and keep you occupied..

and i doubt the plane has wifi but if it does...

interwebz!!

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a DS and plan to take it. That will probably last around 3-4 hours.
Internet should NEVER be on a plane as it messes with frequency and could cause accidents.
I was thinking about taking some kind of sleeping pill as my last flight was 10 hours and I woke up with a panic attack (why? I don't know. I just couldn't breath). But I was wondering what others might take besides a book or a DS or an iPod. One forum I read recommended vasaline to put in your nose so it doesn't try out from the plane's dry oxygen (as opposed to wet oxygen?).

S

SUPRsalad

yeah, vasoline is a great idea! Hours, and hours, and HOURS of entertainment. :thumbsup:

M

mutau

My hubby bought the kit and put it together for his ipod and now uses it for his Iphone. its really great, passes all the TSA checks (no one has questioned it or checked it actually) and all we need to bring is a handful of fresh batteries.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

Load up some movies and you're good to go.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My hubby bought the kit and put it together for his ipod and now uses it for his Iphone. its really great, passes all the TSA checks (no one has questioned it or checked it actually) and all we need to bring is a handful of fresh batteries.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

Load up some movies and you're good to go.
Wow! That's freakin' amazing! I would love to do this for my iPod nano. Did he buy the movies on iTunes or convert them? I'm trying to figure out how to put videos on my iPod that I haven't bought from iTunes. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! That's freakin' amazing! I would love to do this for my iPod nano. Did he buy the movies on iTunes or convert them? I'm trying to figure out how to put videos on my iPod that I haven't bought from iTunes. Any suggestions on how to do this?
I use an awesome free video converter. I can't remember the name off hand, but all I did was google "free ipod video converter" and tried a few results.

I think this is the one I have on my computer at home.
http://www.ipod-video-converter.org/

I believe iTunes will do a conversion too, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use an awesome free video converter. I can't remember the name off hand, but all I did was google "free ipod video converter" and tried a few results.

I think this is the one I have on my computer at home.
http://www.ipod-video-converter.org/

I believe iTunes will do a conversion too, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
I run on a Mac, so this program will not work for me. =[
Should have specified that...

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I flew from Virginia to Guam all I had was my CD player (no iPods at the time). The whole flight there was in the dark, the whole flight back was daylight... so friggin weird... worst jetlag ever.

Moral: Drug yourself to sleep.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've flown there quite a few times as well as Japan. Me personally...I just stay up a lot longer before catching the flight and then sleep through the majority of the flight. They wake you up for the first meal...have that, watch a movie and then go back to sleep. By the time breakfast is served you are about there to Seoul anyways.

Other than that...yeah. No kids helps.

S

SUPRsalad

and did i mention the neck pillow? fifteen hours would be a long time for me to be in one place. I'd deffinately want something a little stronger than an over-the-counter sleep med. Id be looking for a fistfull of ambien cr. either that, or what i like to do, is drink like ten gin and tonics in the concourse smoke&drink (if available) then board, and drink as many as they will give you.
then say the first things that come to mind to the person sitting directly next to you. :thumbsup:

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and did i mention the neck pillow? fifteen hours would be a long time for me to be in one place. I'd deffinately want something a little stronger than an over-the-counter sleep med. Id be looking for a fistfull of ambien cr. either that, or what i like to do, is drink like ten gin and tonics in the concourse smoke&drink (if available) then board, and drink as many as they will give you.
then say the first things that come to mind to the person sitting directly next to you. :thumbsup:
I've used a couple neck pillows before that didn't ever really work. I always woke up with a stiff neck. Suggestions on which to get?

S

SUPRsalad

we got ones that are memory foam. just, whatever you do, don't buy one IN the airport cus they want like 20 for them. i think we got ours at target or so.
did i mention ambien?

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mmmm, memory foam... Target, here I come!
As for ambien, you have to be prescribed that and I dunno how easy that would be even though I do have insomnia.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with insomnia it shouldn't be too difficult to get ambien.
If you have a good doctor like mine, you just tell him what you want, and short of vocodin, he'll write you a script without much more than him asking 'do you think that will help you?'

S

SUPRsalad

Ambiem CR is probably the most awesome invention ever. I don't usually have problems sleeping, but i keep a fist full of these on hand for emergencies. The thing i like, is that you don't seem to wake up all groggy and ****ty like you will with over-the-counter sleep aids.

M

mutau

I use Melatonin. Its herbal and found at Walmart or GNC or other stores.

I've recently tested the Minty Boost, and it did partially recharged my almost dead Tilt on the last trip. All that's needed is the USB cable to connect.

I think i'll have him put another kit together for me.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's a Tupolev I'd take a parachute, they seem to have a habit of crashing.