• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What to kill next

G

I am currently at 70 fence and 81.5 tactics and have locked tatics until i get all of my skills to 80. I have been killing lizzard men and rat men for skill gain and to gather spined leather to pad my rather small bank account. I was hoping to find something else to work skills up on without giving up the leather sales. I guess horned leather bearing critters is what I am after so can someone suggest what i can skill on and where the best places to find those critters are.

A

Azural Kane

Tactics is a PITA to gain AFAIK... leave it unlocked you'll thank yourself down the road.

G

Both Kri-rin, and unicorns give horned, and so do drakes and wyvrens.

I do not like killing the kri-rins and unicorns as they make karma drop, but the wyvrens and drakes do not, and they can be found in Illishnar.

Other than those, I do not know of anything else right now.

G

but from my understanding of the RoT system, doesnt it cut into my daily gains for my shills in the 70s? I currently have necro, ss, medi, fence all in 70s and poisoning at 55.

G

where in ilish are the drakes? i have spent alot of time traveling ilish and havent found drakes

G

Try the 2 drakes at the entrance to the Fire temple (Felucca), just watch out for the dragon & daemon that spawn there on the outside with them, and don't open the doors to the temple as there are more daemons and dragons in there that will come out. You can also try the 2 wyverns that are near the bridge in Valor (Ilshenar). Those give horned leather...gotta watch out for paragons, though. By the mountain wall north of the champ, some drakes and dragons wander around.

The Fire Temple is nice because you don't have to worry about paragons. You can try luring grumpy dragon out of the temple area, to the jungle and invis (use a potion if you don't have magery) to make him lose targeting, then you can sneak back to the temple and just have the drakes and daemon to worry about.

There is a dark wisp or two that lurk out in the jungle near the temple, so keep an eye out for that as well.

-Skylark

G

lol i got whacked by those para wyverns already once
OOOoooOOooOOo

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

but from my understanding of the RoT system, doesnt it cut into my daily gains for my shills in the 70s? I currently have necro, ss, medi, fence all in 70s and poisoning at 55.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your tactics will gain slower than most other skills if you're just letting it gain from passive fighting... thus your other skills will surpass it even if it's unlocked. Tactics is slow, you want it to gain ASAP.

G

Ok that makes sense. It has been a long while since I have even attempted to build a new char so I have f orgotten alot about it and throw in the rot system and I am noobiefied. Bow should I lock all the other skills as they get to 80 to maximize my RoT gains or just continue to let them rise. the problem I see happening right now is that SS and Medi are tising a bunch faster than my Fence and Necro are.

G

Unfortunately, most of the locations for wyverns are in Ilshenar, so there is always a good chance that paragons will spawn. You can try some of the desert areas in the Lost Lands but it is a hike to get there. I think there are some near the sphynx area, but I always get lost in the Lost Lands, so perhaps someone else can give better idea of a specific location.

Destard level 1 has drakes, dragons, giant snakes, and wyverns but there are lots of them, and it is easy to get overrun in there when you are alone. No paragons, though. You might try hanging out near the entrance, hoping for a drake to wander by, and running out of the cave and invising when you get in trouble. It used to be pretty routine for me to get PK'd there at the entrance, but these days, I doubt there is a lot of risk from that anymore.

-Skylark

G

in the lost lands right? I forgot about them. Man I love Siege lol, it makes me go places I havent been in years

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I couldnt tell where that other person said the drakes are (so this may be the same place). Fire temple your gonna have a hard time collecting leathers as you would need to gate back and forth or bos them and you will easily lose your bos bag to red killers.
I suggest the first islh moongate (compassion?) where the ratmen are and stay to the left wall. go around the corner and up a bit and there are drakes/wyren up there. its very close to the res ank and the moongate to the bank.

Lorddog

G

With the BoS changes now using charges according to the item weight, it probably isn't really cost effective to use BoS to send leather anyway. I have always been an indifferent PvMer, and actually preferred collecting leather in Fel, and Tokuno, but then again, I can gate. I just gate directly to a bank or my house when my pack is full, and then hop back on the same gate...it is very convenient. I suppose you might dock your boat at Fire island, and drop your leather in the hold until you are ready to leave. Risk of course, but an alternative when you don't have magery and don't want to hoof it back to a town or home, every time your pack gets full.

-Skylark

G

At this point i dont have alot of choice but to PvM. My newbie char would not survive anything else. my current practice is to collect as much as I can and walk everywhere( no magery) I dont mind it that much and it gives me a chance to relearn the world of UO. once my beetle is bonded I will use that until full.

G

Do you have a boat?

Btw, sea serpents give horned leather, too.

-Skylark

G

lol i bought one 3 days ago and went to use it yesterday and poof it was gone. cant remember what the refresh rate is on a boat but i didnt expect it to be gone in 2 days

G

Well, you might try the upper levels of Shame dungeon. There are some sea serpents that roam around in the channels in there (I always thought that was neat). I seem to recall krakens in there, but I think that might only be on the 3rd level with the poison ellies, and you don't have to go down that far. Earth &amp; air ellies you should be OK against, although you probably won't get melee and related gains on earth ellies now that you are in RoT.

-Skylark