• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] What on earth happened to...

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What on earth happened to Hemisphere's collection? Its been almost 9 years now that his collection up and disappeared. I remember his beautiful Europa Museum, a favorite of mine, there were so many big beautiful museums back then. Collecting was an art form in a way, there was a longevity to it, I had many favorite collectors and museums that I adored visiting, Hemisphere's was one of those.

One day, he decided to sell his collection. There was excitement among all of us, I planned on going for the Antique Armor set, something I had fallen in love with after so many visits. The sale was long and drawn out and then one day everything changed. Hemisphere claimed he had been hacked, that everything was gone. We were all crestfallen in our own different ways and we certainly felt sorry for our friend. I may have romanticized being a collector at that particular period of time in UO history in the above paragraph a bit, but I will admit it was weird. Duping was rampant, entire collections were copied at times. Many people quit because their prized items were no longer as rare as they thought they were. Despite that, the majority of us weathered the storm. I never really collected event items all that often, especially then, refusing to deviate from my quest of collecting Sewn by/Made by footwear.

Now by saying this, I do want to point out that I am not saying that I think Hemisphere lied, was never hacked and duped his collection. No, that is not what I believe. But I have to admit that the situation was extremely bizarre at best. Whatever became of his collection? I knew it well, I visited his museum several times a week, to my knowledge none of those items (referring to the vast majority of the uniques) were ever sold to the public, let alone turned up in others museums and collections. If he was hacked, what became of the items? Did someone just delete them out of spite? Why bother going to such trouble if nothing was ever to be done with the collection? The only item that I recall escaping the loss was that red two story statue, which he supposedly sold before the sale officially began.

In any case, I was going over old threads the other day and Hemi was quoted at one point and this whole thing came flooding back into my head. I'm just curious what other collectors think happened. Have any of you ever seen any of his items turn up? Obviously if it breaks any board rules, please feel free to q or pm what you think happened.

Thoughts?

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think its right around 9 years ago and at this point not worth talking about - he had an awesome collection .. hashing over something that old is not going to do any good for anything

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is all sitting in an old grandfathered small tower in an obscure part of fel on a dead shard.

Pampa DH

Lore Master
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Man that collection looks awesome. In the first picture the orange scroll, dagger, and book I'm pretty sure @Thor VII has. I'm curious about the gold colored map in the top corner of the first picture, it looks kinda like one of the LS build a better BBQ contest certificate. Also the three books on the marble table in the 4th picture. The black one looks like the book of darkness that @Nails Warstein owns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think its right around 9 years ago and at this point not worth talking about - he had an awesome collection .. hashing over something that old is not going to do any good for anything
I assure you it is not out of disrespect, Hemi was always very kind to me in terms of letting me in to see his collection if it was ever set to private. I was much more bright eyed and bushy tailed back then. But, having said that, I could not disagree with you more in terms of whether it is worth talking about. Its a part of our history, as you said, it was an awesome collection, and should be remembered.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was indeed a sad case. Many of the good items were sold before the so called hack though. For example, I bought the Explorer suit which i had it for few years before selling it to Nails. And like Pampa said, the gargoyle items dagger, book etc went to Thor but it went to another person before that so did the antique armor pieces etc..

But I agree the real reason why he quit is not worth mentioning about. Only a few people knew what really happened.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was indeed a sad case. Many of the good items were sold before the so called hack though. For example, I bought the Explorer suit which i had it for few years before selling it to Nails. And like Pampa said, the gargoyle items dagger, book etc went to Thor but it went to another person before that so did the antique armor pieces etc..

But I agree the real reason why he quit is not worth mentioning about. Only a few people knew what really happened.
Agreed on that, I was not speculating on why he quit, that was always going to happen hence the sale. More so what happened to the items and how sad it was. I miss those days. I'm certainly not trying to downplay the splendor of museums and collections now, but things were just different then. I swear this is not an old man speech, I don't mind if the neighborhood kids step on my grass.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hemi was a a good rare collector and a "dealing" friend of mine , I am the real Hands Of God since 1997... He was a famous EU player for rares for sure, I tried to msg him on his old icq . I am pretty sure he got hit by an hacker but I cannot remember correctly. I also lost vine cords, and tons of pvp rares when they were worth a lot during those yrs due an hacker. EU had an hacker called Rasta stealing from tons :(

InfernO will come to get you

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
A good many of the items in that collection I never was able to find, outside of those pics. I don't have the address handy, but at the original site those pics came from, the images are mapped, so you could hover over each item to see what its name was.

Jason-

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Very cool Pics @panoramix2009 . I never got to see that place as I didnt join this side of UO until more recent years. Its crazy to me that there was this much going on in UO that I had no idea about. I was so stuck in my little world of PVP. If it didnt happen in a dungeon with a champion spawn, I just didn't worry about it lol. I hate I missed all of those times.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hemi was a good man.
I hung out with him from time to time. Always so jealous about his awesome flamestrike gloves.

Trev, are you still around (if you see this)? Tried reaching you on ICQ.

I think I got Hemis only ever legit freebie. Still have it in my collection at the Yew Guardsmen Library (Europa Shard).

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hemi was a good man.
I hung out with him from time to time. Always so jealous about his awesome flamestrike gloves.

Trev, are you still around (if you see this)? Tried reaching you on ICQ.

I think I got Hemis only ever legit freebie. Still have it in my collection at the Yew Guardsmen Library (Europa Shard).
Ah yes, I think you are referring to Idle Hands, my guildmate Tomas bought them from him prior to his sale. If you reach Trev, tell him I said hello, I've tried q'ing him a few times over the years and it is hit or miss. But its been some time since we've spoken. Hemisphere never gave me anything physical, but he was always open to questions which I certainly appreciated. The only thing I have of his is a Green sash crafted by him that I purchased at one of the early rares festivals. What did he give you?

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hemi was a legend! I remember the Four Sisters Museum very well, used to walk around it in awee so much. Ill facebook Trev and point him in this direction. Small world Trev actually works a town over from me these days lol.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Had been running about like Crazy during an event.
I think he was the one who gave me a corroded manacle since he had gotten an extra when him and Trev was hunting on that event. Also have a cap he crafted that I wore for years. Now locked down on the frontstairs of my house in yew cemetary (Europa).

Idle Hands was an item I believe IGM Talos created. I heard Hemi had hoped it would stay on Europa shard.

IGM Talos was also another interesting fella. Love that guy! He always had time for everyone, no matter if it was a veteran of UO or a newcomer.
One other rare related thing he helped me was to help verify the authenticity of set of items I had (so they werent just another plain dupes).

Trevelyan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah so Talos and Hemisphere are two people I knew a bit.

Talos actually lived over the road from me. He went on to game designer someplace I think, not talked to him for ages. He was a real anomally in the EA structure at the time, when the seer program had been axed elsewhere, but yet he was a paid employee. Eventually he went and then we had Event Moderators, but I think he really put the player experience ahead of that which having no Interest program would have resulted in.

Hemisphere... Not seen him for years now. He nearly died in RL falling through a skylight a few years back but then got ressed and bandaged and sounded mostly ok afterwards. I've driven through where he lives a few times since but hes crap at being on contact. Stopped posting on Facebook too. Last time i saw him must've been like 2009? I'm sure it must've been more recently! Gawd maybe not.

As for what happened, well he probably just found RL more fulfilling in certain ways and stopped logging in so much. Eventually stopped paying, so when he came to sell stuff for RL gold, I think I paid for a couple of months here and there. The houses were an issue too, so I think we shuffled them around temp accounts, sold bits here and there.

What we think happened was, really, the most ******** thing ever. Same username and password for one of those temp holding accounts. Not sure I remember exactly, but I think we put it down to someone potentially randomly guessing the account name and password combo. It cant have been targeted hacking; the account names were completely unrelated (my mum might have made them even!) and nobody has seen the stuff since.

I think I logged in to an account ages later and grabbed a few bits he still had to put them in the museum that I've got over in Yew just below the moon gate. Scaffolding, a couple of other bits in the bottom left tower area. I think we ruled out his main account having been hacked because that hasn't had a password change and some really valuable bits were still on his char. It was just the house and all the crap in there!

I still pay for my account, I work and it's not really a huge deal. But I tableflipped and stopped logging in around 2010 after intershard idoc scripter scum grabbed all the goodies from a castle near Skara I'd been watching for months. I paid for a Europa smith Made By gorget and thought this is madness and just stopped.

But I want the display to continue so, yeah, ill keep what's left of Hemispheres collection in that corner forever! And the second explorers set (sorry Manticore!) In Europa territory forever :p

PS, let esca or Petra or someone know if you want to store any rareS from Europa at mine, they're pretty much guaranteed to stay forever! Or if you want rl meals for them, I'm sure gold must be worth less than even the pound these days!

Xxz

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, you certainly are a sight for sore eyes Trev. Its been a lonnnng time, but thanks for all that info. It just always bothered me for some reason and he disappeared so quickly afterwards it wasn't appropriate to really ask anything nor was there really time. Granted, I can't imagine how I would react to that situation myself, but I am fairly certain that my reaction would not be a good one. Thanks for all of the info, you have satisfied any questions I had.

Glad to hear you are doing well and hope Hemisphere, wherever he is, is doing well too.

Trevelyan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh yeah, there he is. I guess it was more recently that I last heard from him, then! Just spoke to his sister today, turns out he's in flipping SPAIN. Maybe his solar-powered-something-or-other worked better there.

That thread is epic. How do I link my account to the one that made it? Would be good to edit it a little.. or can't I, now?

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just contact a stratics administrator and ask to have your profiles merged, they did it for me like 8 years ago when I forgot the password to my old one