• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What makes a bonded pet go wild overnight?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I have a blue beetle that has been bonded to me for a week. We've gone out and he has followed, guarded, killed, etc. and I have kept him well fed.

Today I log'd in and he is no longer tame, and we had been out just last night and I fed him before logging off...

Sup with this?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
was he stabled or where you mounted on him? if not this is the reason why

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
was he stabled or where you mounted on him? if not this is the reason why
Hi Storm, I'm honored... This is the first time I've owned a beetle, so forgive my "dumbness". I've been just logging off on him in my house.
What's the proper way to avoid this?

T

Tazar

If you are mounted on the beetle when you log off, you will be mounted on him when you log in. That is probably the safest/easiest way.

If you log off and are not mounted on him - and there are items in the beetles pack, he will stay there in game and slowly go wild or be attackable by wandering mob's.

If you log off and are not mounted on him - and his pack is empty, then he "should" auto-stable and be safe.

If you empty the backpack and stable the pet, he will be safe.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What tazar said ! And that is in no way a dumb question!

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are mounted on the beetle when you log off, you will be mounted on him when you log in. That is probably the safest/easiest way.

If you log off and are not mounted on him - and there are items in the beetles pack, he will stay there in game and slowly go wild or be attackable by wandering mob's.

If you log off and are not mounted on him - and his pack is empty, then he "should" auto-stable and be safe.

If you empty the backpack and stable the pet, he will be safe.
Thx Taz and Storm... I thought I was mounted on him when I log'd off, but then again I might not have been. I do know that he was carrying a dozen Gargoyle's Pickaxes and I just had my friend come and re-tame him and then transfer back to me. Everything in his pack is gone. He was in my house the whole time (overnight). Do the items somehow disappear as soon as he goes "wild"?

In the future, as I understand you Taz, what I should do is simply make sure I am mounted when I log off and he'll stay tame/bonded and everything in his pack will stay there?

T

Tazar

Should it ever happen again, because it was your pet, you are allowed to retame it - even if you do not have taming skill. :)

Usually, when a pet goes wild, it will drop it's backpack on the ground - so it probably decayed.

Correct - as long as you are riding him when you log out, he will stay with you and the items in the pack will be safe.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should it ever happen again, because it was your pet, you are allowed to retame it - even if you do not have taming skill. :)

Usually, when a pet goes wild, it will drop it's backpack on the ground - so it probably decayed.

Correct - as long as you are riding him when you log out, he will stay with you and the items in the pack will be safe.
Thanks a bunch, Taz... That's exactly what I needed to know. And, my miner can "re-tame" him.... kewl. :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you need to retame a beetle, just make sure you feed him immediately after you retame. Retamed pets will have a low loyalty (they won't be wonderfully happy) so you'll need to feed them or they'll be stroppy about following your commands.

I've only had blue bugs go wild if I was dismounted by them and they had items in their packs. But you did the right thing in being in your house when you logged out - that's about the safest place for a wild pet to sleep overnight. In town they usually get guardwhacked :(

Wenchy

J

[JD]

hmm you know I did have a weird happening a few days ago. I was on a human tamer and a regular horse (tame). Running around training taming. All of a sudden it said my horse went wild and I was left standing, whereas previously I was mounted.

I have never, ever, ever seen a mounted pet lose loyalty. The tamer was more or less GM lore/taming for control purposes, was not issuing commands to the horse. Again, this was a MOUNTED horse, suddenly flying out from under me and going wild.

Made me worry just a little bit.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm you know I did have a weird happening a few days ago. I was on a human tamer and a regular horse (tame). Running around training taming. All of a sudden it said my horse went wild and I was left standing, whereas previously I was mounted.

I have never, ever, ever seen a mounted pet lose loyalty. The tamer was more or less GM lore/taming for control purposes, was not issuing commands to the horse. Again, this was a MOUNTED horse, suddenly flying out from under me and going wild.

Made me worry just a little bit.
It's been a while, but I've seen someone thrown off a horse which went wild on them at Luna bank. I LOL'd :D

Wenchy

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I had that exact same thing happen to me on my crafter a few days ago. Only I lost a nice fully trained pack beetle (they actually do make good assists in combat against lower level mobs). I logged off dismounted I think, and I also think there was nothing in his pack.

J

[JD]

Well yeah that's funny about the fartknocker joke, but I'm more worried about someone randomly losing a dread mare or really nice bane dragon etc to some new yet unidentified "pet goes wild while you are sitting on it" bug.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well yeah that's funny about the fartknocker joke, but I'm more worried about someone randomly losing a dread mare or really nice bane dragon etc to some new yet unidentified "pet goes wild while you are sitting on it" bug.
I know that pets lose loyalty if you use the kill command while you are mounted. If you do that too often your pet will go wild. Having said that, that's why I will never pay an insane amount of gold for a pet, no matter how special that pet is. Pets are never a safe investment. You can always lose them. I've never lost a truly special pet, but I know plenty of people that have.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw pet disappearance in 1 case:
You are with your character with the pet (rideable or not), suddenly a message appears: "Server is going down shortly", then you stable/ride the pet and after few seconds the server go down.
When the server goes up sometimes lose the last few minutes of gameplay. Losing those minutes means that your pet was not stabled and when the server goes down do not auto-stable the pets. So if you don't relog immediately, the pet will wandering around and in few hours will go wild...

M

Macrophage999

There are many bugs involved in a pet behaving alike he was under your control or not so there are probably many bugs involving pets losing loyalty while ridden. Although it seems nowadays ridden pets should not be losing loyalty. In the past, pets used to lose loyalty and it was often that kind of things happend. Nowadays, pets go wild mostly due to unsage logout (including house logouts). I am pretty sure that in some situations, if your pet is in combat, it won t log out.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Although it seems nowadays ridden pets should not be losing loyalty.
Actually this isn't true. If you are riding a pet and give the kill command, the command will fail for the pet you are riding, and your pet will lose loyalty. I have to be pretty careful about this in pvp.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, I don't remember ever seeing mention from a dev that pets wouldn't lose loyalty while mounted. Certainly not in any patches or publish notes, that's the kind of thing that I'm certain I'd remember seeing.

I've seen pets go wild and throw their owners, and the last place I saw it was Luna easily a year ago. So I'd say this is old code, rather than a bug.

Wenchy

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, I don't remember ever seeing mention from a dev that pets wouldn't lose loyalty while mounted. Certainly not in any patches or publish notes, that's the kind of thing that I'm certain I'd remember seeing.

I've seen pets go wild and throw their owners, and the last place I saw it was Luna easily a year ago. So I'd say this is old code, rather than a bug.

Wenchy
Very interesting thread... How about somebody *cough* with some "clout", just ask the devs straight out?????

N

Ncdiablo

Yeah this would be good to know. Just got back into the game. I generally have my "tank" pet go in using the "all attack" macro while I am riding on the "non tank" pet. Then jump off and send the other pet in with the "all attack" macro again. I haven't seen a decrease in loyalty but I am now afraid I might be risking things. Would be good to hear back on this as I might have to fool with my macro's more.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah this would be good to know. Just got back into the game. I generally have my "tank" pet go in using the "all attack" macro while I am riding on the "non tank" pet. Then jump off and send the other pet in with the "all attack" macro again. I haven't seen a decrease in loyalty but I am now afraid I might be risking things. Would be good to hear back on this as I might have to fool with my macro's more.
A safer way to start an attack if you are mounted on a pet is to use the "guard" command and attack the target with your character in some way, such as with a curse. The only commands that fail when you are mounted are kill commands. Of course the ideal solution would be for the devs to fix what is clearly a bug...

T

Trunkz

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, and perhaps no one else has expirienced it yet, but here goes.

I use the Enhanced client, and have noticed at least 2 times in the last few months that when i log in my char is not mounted on his pet. The pet is standing next to him, and follows him as though i just issued a follow command. :confused:

I always, always, always make sure that I am mounted when I log out. The two times i've noticed this happening, it was at my house.

I havn't lost any pets...yet. But has anyone else expirienced this? The cases I mentioned were with an ABC archer riding a leser hiryu, and a tamer riding a Bane Dragon.

I often stable everything now before logging out (even ridable pets), and I probaby should continue to do so or the loss will be my own fault.

N

Ncdiablo

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, and perhaps no one else has expirienced it yet, but here goes.

I use the Enhanced client, and have noticed at least 2 times in the last few months that when i log in my char is not mounted on his pet. The pet is standing next to him, and follows him as though i just issued a follow command. :confused:

I always, always, always make sure that I am mounted when I log out. The two times i've noticed this happening, it was at my house.

I havn't lost any pets...yet. But has anyone else expirienced this? The cases I mentioned were with an ABC archer riding a leser hiryu, and a tamer riding a Bane Dragon.

I often stable everything now before logging out (even ridable pets), and I probaby should continue to do so or the loss will be my own fault.
I noticed something similar but not quite the same. I always log out on my ridable mount. Always. However I notice when logging in for a split moment my character is next to my pet but then a moment later it is placing me on my mount. I usually let things load up and haven't tried walking. Not sure if it is a glitch that occurs with that. I might do the same thing which is stable everything. *just hate running to the stable....* damn i'm lazy digitally.....

T

Trunkz

@ NCDiablo

Yes, i've noticed the same thing. When i log in, my toon is standing next to the mount but then mounts automatically as things load (99% of the time anyway).

Still too many variables (and not enough play time) to find the trend, but heres another related instance i've seen regarding this mounted/dismounted thingy majig.

Often, as I am running around a city and I encounter mounted people, they appear to be dismounted when I enter the same screen as them but then they mount immediately after (just as my toon does on load up). I've seen this too frequently for it to just be that people are mounting at the exact moment that I enter screen space with them.

This is with the EC, and idk about 2d since i havn't used that client since about 02.

N

Ncdiablo

@ NCDiablo

Yes, i've noticed the same thing. When i log in, my toon is standing next to the mount but then mounts automatically as things load (99% of the time anyway).

Still too many variables (and not enough play time) to find the trend, but heres another related instance i've seen regarding this mounted/dismounted thingy majig.

Often, as I am running around a city and I encounter mounted people, they appear to be dismounted when I enter the same screen as them but then they mount immediately after (just as my toon does on load up). I've seen this too frequently for it to just be that people are mounting at the exact moment that I enter screen space with them.

This is with the EC, and idk about 2d since i havn't used that client since about 02.
Trunkz,

Yeah I have seen similar this too is with EC. I am out taming with a friend and last night he appeared naked and running along side me and then later appeared clothed and on his mount (he was clothed and on his mount the whole time). Little glitches. I think with my primary mounts and pets I am going to make sure I stable them. I will keep a plain horse to get to and from the stables simply to keep my pets safe.

Just getting back into the game and really enjoying it.

RadioActive on Chessy

E

ehb

I cannot beleive no one mentioned this

Even when mounted, you must feed your pet or it can go wild. Give your mount 1 food item each day.

I will go one further, any pet that is not stabled FEED IT when you log in to the game, when you get the pet out of the stable, or if you been giving it commands on regular basis feed it more often, like once every 1 to 2 hours.

M

Macrophage999

I don't really understand your explanation; why should I feed my pet when any successful order behaves like if I had fed it?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't really understand your explanation; why should I feed my pet when any successful order behaves like if I had fed it?
A successful command restores a small amount of loyalty. Feeding restores loyalty 100%. I don't do what ehb suggests that you do, but I do feed pets every time they fail a command, so in the end it may actually work out the same.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feed my pets at least once a day if we're not hunting. During hunts I feed extra. Feeding doesn't just boost loyalty, it also seems to boost up the regen of stamina. So if a pet is low after a long fight, a quick feed seems to boost up stamina faster than leaving it to regen naturally.

I haven't tried starving and only commanding a pet to verify if it would go wild without food. My usual routine is to claim then feed. But perhaps a need for food could explain some of the mystery with the odd pet going wild *shrugs* I wouldn't draw any conclusion from it without some strong evidence though. But I guess feeding pets is one of those things tamers now try to opt out of.

Guess I'm the only person who still skins the odd critter and collects her own ribs then? :D

Wenchy