• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What low level BOD rewards would you like to see?

S

Soulflame

I'd just like to be able to select what reward I get. I only need two pair of mining gloves, thank you very much (one for me, one for a friend who hates BODs more than I do.) I'd just be happy as can be if I could turn in a reward, and just select a prospecting tool. Instead of getting yet another pair of mining gloves, or another gargoyle pickaxe. Gee, like I don't already have enough of these. Or the now completely useless powder of temperment. Joy, with this, I can add durability to an item that will never break. Unless the person using it is stupid enough to allow the durability to go to 0.

I quit working BODs for a few months when I turned in a small ringmail verite deed, to be rewarded with another +10 ASH. I could have gotten a bronze hammer, or a powerscroll. I wasn't happy.

I'd also like to see a revamp of rewards. What's more difficult, 10 exceptional iron daggers, or 10 exceptional halberds. I'll use at least 5x the ingots filling the halberd BOD, but get the same reward that I would for the daggers? Where's the sense of this?

Just for the heck of it, I turned in a normal gold BOD. This BOD required 200 gold ingots to fill. I got 610 gold, and a prospectors tool. If I had just sold the ingots to anther player, I would have gotten at least 8k gold. And I probably could have gotten up to 18k gold, if I tried hard enough. Instead, I got a reward that can be gotten for 10 normal iron daggers, and an insultingly small amount of gold, in return.

At this point, I need two +5 mining gloves, a 120 powerscroll, an ocassional prospector tool, and I don't care about the rest. Runics? They make wonderful junk items, most of which will end up smelted. I'd be far better off killing blood elementals, and seeing what I don't break. Anvils? Don't care. They look ugly, and have very little resale value, if any. Gargoyle picks? Wonderful. As if I couldn't just chain kill gargoyles instead. Sturdy shovels? GM tinkers can make 100 use shovels. Sturdy shovels are valuable why? So, I could use up to 200 ingots filling a BOD, for a reward that has 150 or 200 uses? Why not just use the 200 ingots to make 50 shovels, with 2500-5000 total uses, and cut out the middle man? Give me a sturdy shovel that has 5000 uses and I'll take notice. +1 or +3 mining gloves? I'm using +3 mining gloves, only because I haven't gotten +5s just yet. Not that mining gloves do anything for me, with the wonderful AoS bug involving mining gloves and ASHs. Even so, as soon as I get +5 mining gloves, the +3 mining gloves are junk. I can't sell them, and they have no value to anyone else, given how easily gotten they are.

As far as I am concerned, the BOD system needs huge revamps. Something along the lines of the following.

Eliminate 10 and 15 count BODs. Make the existing ones 20 count.

Scale the reward based on difficulty. 10 exceptional halberds are much more difficult to fill than 10 exceptional daggers, require far more ingots, and yet give the same reward.

Much better scaling on ingot value. Something along the lines of Number of ingots required to fill bod times a hardcoded value for ingots. Say, 5 gold for iron, 10 gold for dull copper, 15 gold for shadow, up to 45 gold for valorite. It may not match market value, but it does allow players who don't want to run a vendor, or sit at WBB all day long, a chance to get fair value for ingots. Add a 1.5 modifier for exceptional. So, an exceptional gold BOD that required 200 ingots to fill would give 200 * 30 * 1.5 = 9000 gold. Given that I can make 10k in about 20 minutes with my tamer, I don't see a problem with this.

Ability to select at least low level rewards. Maybe leave runics, ASHs, and powerscrolls a lottery, but most of the low end rewards have little value to players. I really just want Prospectors tools.

Improve the items that runics can make. It's ludicrous that I can get better items from blood elementals than can be made with an agapite hammer. Given the time, money, ingots, and effort to obtain an agapite hammer, the items I craft with an agapite runic should damn well be able to compete with drops from a mid level monster! It's just as ludicrous that I'd almost rather smelt dull copper runics than burn ingots trying to get something with one decent property. And even if I do get something decent, again, I can get far better items by killing bloods. And I make money, train my pets, and generally have fun while killing monsters. Getting the right BODs, mining, and smithing, are not quite as much fun. And certainly nowhere near as profitable.

Get rid of sturdy picks. Give sturdy shovels at least 1000 uses. Preferrably more.

Improve the odds of GM smiths to get BODs that are worthwhile. GM smiths aren't interested in weapon BODs. Or at least I'm not. I'd say at least 50% of the BODs I get are for weapons, or BODs that aren't part of LBODs. I have yet to complete even an iron LBOD, and I've been working the system off and on since day one.