What is WRONG with the UO player base?!?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 2, 2004
Why is it when we have contests or events the "Arsehole Factor" has to rear its ugly head???

Why can't we have events and contests WITHOUT some WHINER BABY throwing a hissy fit simply because they didn't win or get a event item?

I was deeply angered and sadden to read Lord Gareth's thread this morning. Why do some people think because they didn't win the makeover WBB contest it gives them the right to ruin UO for the ones that did win??? :yell:

Lord Gareth, I feel your pain and I am sorry. :hug:

For the record I don't play Chessy, but NO ONE has the right to ruin the game for someone else.

I recently won one of the Valentine's event lanterns on Legends. As result of that accusations were made that the winners were cheaters-hackers-scripters, getting special favors from the EM, were buddies with the EM or were uber rich and a paid off the EM.
I hadn't even seen or met the EM till the Valentines event. I have never ran a cheat, hack or script nor know how it is done!

I believe my winning this item resulted in a nasty viscous in game attack on my sister. Sis and I dress our chars alike but that is where the similarities end. Anyway sis picked up a vendor rune from the bank floor after the V-day event. She recalled to the vendor house and was shocked when the owner immediately banned her from the house. The owner then ran outside began accusing my sis of intentionally block their vendor house for the last hour, claimed to have screenshots and was paging on her for harassment. My sister tried to explain to this person that she hadn’t done anything but recall to their vendor house. Apparently this player had the brains of Patrick Starfish, because they kept on at sis. Sis recalled to Luna bank, and right in behind her was psycho-vendor house owner. This person again started with sis and by this point had her crying in RL. I came to Luna bank and tore into psycho-vendor house owner because nobody makes my little sister cry, PERIOD! I recognized this person from the event because they had a GIGANORMOUS fit because they didn’t get a lantern or robe.
Anyway this person said they’d leave us alone if I’d pay them. HELLO, that’s extortion and I don’t play that game. All of that because someone got their panties in a twist over some pixel crack! :gee:

Kudos, to all the Legends peeps that came to my sister’s and my defense!! I wuv you guys! :heart::love::heart:

Now apparently the Contest winners are catching flack simply because they won?!?!? GOOD GREIF!!! :gee:

Can’t we all just get along and enjoy UO WITHOUT the "Arsehole factor"? :confused:

:scholar: Maybe the next expansion should be the “Whiner Baby Expansion” with nappies, talc, and pacifiers. New NPC nannies for regular nappy changes and time out rooms for tantrum throwers who need them! :hahaha: Might just be worth it for the peace and quiet!

*Yanks on flame retardant body suit* I know its coming !!! :D :flame:

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Can’t we all just get along and enjoy UO WITHOUT the "Arsehole factor"? :confused:
To be honest, there are 2 ways to do this:

1) Eliminate anonymity. Make it know who actually controls the players, real names, etc. Illegal, and potentially deadly.

2) Change human nature. This mentality exists everywhere humans exist.

So in short.. Sadly, no. :(

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 2, 2004

1) Eliminate anonymity. Make it know who actually controls the players, real names, etc. Illegal, and potentially deadly.

2) Change human nature. This mentality exists everywhere humans exist.

So in short.. Sadly, no. :(
I know. :sad4: Wishful thinking on my part. Well at the very least maybe the EMs could give the particularly bad behaved a "time out" like 24 to 72 hrs to cool off so it doesn't spill over into the game.

As for what's happening to Lord Gareth maybe its time some Devs and/or stratics admins(depending on if its happening here or in game) step up and say the harassment stops or else.

:scholar: If a society doesn't have rules and enforcement of those rules then the result is utter chaos. I think UO is becoming chaos on a small scale, imho.

Just my 2 gps.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
Funny thing is, I see this from the production shards...but not on Siege. We had an event (and although one EM item was stolen (I was sad I didn't steal it)) the event was fun for all those who participated, and those who did not...well, they didn't care what the gifts were.

Weird how we seem to avoid the so-called "Arsehole Factor" when it is more difficult to play on our shard...la

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 2, 2004
Funny thing is, I see this from the production shards...but not on Siege. We had an event (and although one EM item was stolen (I was sad I didn't steal it)) the event was fun for all those who participated, and those who did not...well, they didn't care what the gifts were.

Weird how we seem to avoid the so-called "Arsehole Factor" when it is more difficult to play on our shard...la
If the ever let us have 7 chars per account on Siege I might move there, I'm getting tired of the "Arsehole Factor". I do love my friends on Legends. It just really spoiled it for me, that was my first EM event item after almost 8 yrs. (I don't really count the RCB sashs). I enjoyed the event on my shard daaang I never seen or killed so many Balrons. Only died like 3-4 times. I loved it!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
The one slot per account is one of the other things that keep most of the kiddies from our shard. For the benis we get, (very few kiddies, good economy, little to no duping, etc...), I'll take the one character per account any time over seven...la

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2008
Bay Area, CA
uothief.com
Not that weird. Coldren had it right:

It's harder to be anonymous with 1 char per account & RoT. No character of the week. Crazy to delete a fully trained guy. (Oh yeah, and hard to be a screaming harpy with non-consentual pvp.)

Not everyone wants to act civil out of the goodness of their soul... especially when you're anonymous. (It's true!)

:scholar:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
*confused* ... obviously I didn't read the same thread.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
Wow, has it been six months already, or has Jirel changed their "cocaine induced seizure-like rant" schedule?

M

Mr.Fernandes

Coldn't say, Arran, but people ARE pricks about things. Its a contest! Funny thing about contests: not everyone can win! That kind of jealousy and griefing leads to lame-nes when developers simply stopping holding any sort of competative events whatsoever. "Everyone's a winner - hurray for you" is not a psychology that needs to be perpetuated outside of grade-school classrooms.

N

Ni-

I believe that. A someone else pointed out that the one char per acct hinders the "Arsehole Factor". From my memory, "Arseholes" weren't as prevalent before Trammel. I'm assuming because they can't be put in their place in Trammel.

I'm still a Trammy because I prefer to dictate my game play, as opposed to being forced to play at someone else's dictation. For that I know I have to put up with the AF. I'm kind of a loner, however. So I don't run in to the AF much at all, and when I do, I'm allowed to walk away and do my own thing somewhere else.

I guess we each need to take some bad with our good.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 6, 2008
I know. :sad4: Wishful thinking on my part. Well at the very least maybe the EMs could give the particularly bad behaved a "time out" like 24 to 72 hrs to cool off so it doesn't spill over into the game.

As for what's happening to Lord Gareth maybe its time some Devs and/or stratics admins(depending on if its happening here or in game) step up and say the harassment stops or else.

:scholar: If a society doesn't have rules and enforcement of those rules then the result is utter chaos. I think UO is becoming chaos on a small scale, imho.

Just my 2 gps.
I don't think it's "just" a simple universal human nature thing. I think when you're looking at people who've stayed in UO for years and years... you're looking at a very select and shall we say special subset of the population overall. People who fall somewhere between addicted to the game and obsessive-compulsive about collecting and wanting to get every knick knack and treasure--- which is a goal there is never an end for, obviously. The big mass of your "more typical gamer" has moved on to newer games. There are a variety of reasons people stick with UO... addiction, nostalgia, personal investment... few of the reasons, IMHO, revolve around having a balanced impersonal view of the game as something that is just supposed to be fun in your off-time. Especially people who'd get heavily invested in something like redesigning the Britain bank.... c'mon. I'm sure some perfectly nice people did it just for fun. But I'd guess in general we're talking about people who put way, way too much time into this game. And probably not for healthy reasons.

MMORPG's frequently are... either due to the age (i.e. young and never worked a job) or due to life circumstances (unemployed, disabled, laid off) pseudo-substitutes for real life accomplishment. And that is why you start hearing people talking about how everyone should have to "work as hard as they did" to accomplish x, or "suffer through it just like I did" to level to y, or should have to "put in your hours" to grind up skills or farm gear in order to competently PvM/PvP.... all basically revealing the unspoken endorsement of the game as a replacement for a full- or part- time job, and how people should have to "work" to enjoy it.... instead of viewing it as a game which should be fun no matter how you go about it.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 6, 2008
I believe that. A someone else pointed out that the one char per acct hinders the "Arsehole Factor". From my memory, "Arseholes" weren't as prevalent before Trammel. I'm assuming because they can't be put in their place in Trammel.

I'm still a Trammy because I prefer to dictate my game play, as opposed to being forced to play at someone else's dictation. For that I know I have to put up with the AF. I'm kind of a loner, however. So I don't run in to the AF much at all, and when I do, I'm allowed to walk away and do my own thing somewhere else.

I guess we each need to take some bad with our good.
Before Trammel most antisocial pricks still got away with being antisocial pricks. They just managed their murder count level and were, for most purposes, untouchable. No matter how they conducted themselves or how much they were asking for a knuckle sandwich.

The PK's, on the other hand, would just as gladly kill you as some blue noto PK who was a prick.