• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is up with "Stop running this script?" with every thread opened in UOStratics?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Every thread I open up to read has gotten this message. What script is UOStratics running?
script #1.JPG script #2.JPG

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sure stratics, along with most modern websites, run many many scripts... js, ajax, css, div, php, etc etc. I think it's time to put Internet Explorer out to pasture and move to Chrome full time.
NO THANK YOU.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What version of IE are you running? Please upgrade to at least IE 9 and install all critical windows updates. Alternatively, Chrome or Firefox work perfectly.

Also, McAfee's IE toolbar will fire script errors like this. Consider changing your protection to something like AVG free with web protection, available at free.avg.com

McAfee in my professional experience does not catch nearly enough legitimate threats for me to even consider using.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What version of IE are you running? Please upgrade to at least IE 9 and install all critical windows updates. Alternatively, Chrome or Firefox work perfectly.

Also, McAfee's IE toolbar will fire script errors like this. Consider changing your protection to something like AVG free with web protection, available at free.avg.com

McAfee in my professional experience does not catch nearly enough legitimate threats for me to even consider using.
I have been using IE 8 for a long time and this just started today with every thread opened. Sorry if you do not like my current internet protection but it has kept me safe for many, many years. Guess I will have to deal with this or just stop using UOStratics if it my IE or McAfee. TY for your help.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been using IE 8 for a long time and this just started today with every thread opened. Sorry if you do not like my current internet protection but it has kept me safe for many, many years. Guess I will have to deal with this or just stop using UOStratics if it my IE or McAfee. TY for your help.

Your call man. I have not added any new scripts in about a year. Infections can cause random script errors too. Might want to scan with something like malwarebytes or stinger.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110503040659AABDedW

My guess is some ad, and that it's not an infection just harmless Internet script weirdness.

Note that in the Yahoo link some people say "hey, is this perchance Yahoo mail you're getting this on? because I get it from yahoo mail." My guess there is that it's some ad, like my guess is for Stratics.

Alternatively, Stratics could be loop-casting Magery on the Moonglow server line for rapid gains, or using auto-heal scripts, or using auto-loot scripts.

Lots of things can be a sign of infection or other catastrophic error. Sure this could be. But when you Google the phrase you don't find infections or catastrophic errors for the first few hits. Instead you get "yeah this happens sometimes."

-Galen's player

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your call man. I have not added any new scripts in about a year. Infections can cause random script errors too. Might want to scan with something like malwarebytes or stinger.
I get this no where else but UOStratic Forums and this was not happening to me earlier today. It is still happening here ONLY and nowhere else.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110503040659AABDedW

My guess is some ad, and that it's not an infection just harmless Internet script weirdness.

Note that in the Yahoo link some people say "hey, is this perchance Yahoo mail you're getting this on? because I get it from yahoo mail." My guess there is that it's some ad, like my guess is for Stratics.

Alternatively, Stratics could be loop-casting Magery on the Moonglow server line for rapid gains, or using auto-heal scripts, or using auto-loot scripts.

Lots of things can be a sign of infection or other catastrophic error. Sure this could be. But when you Google the phrase you don't find infections or catastrophic errors for the first few hits. Instead you get "yeah this happens sometimes."

-Galen's player
TY Strange that it is only on UOStratics Forum.

Last edited:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get this no where else but UOStratic Forums and this was not happening to me earlier today. It is still happening here ONLY and nowhere else.

TY Strange that it is only on UOStratics Forum.
Frodo, I have given up with IE on stratics. Pisses me off cause I use IE for everything else. I now use chrome to use stratics and that's the only thing I use chrome for. I have many more problems with the stratics site than you have and im running IE version 10.09.

In IE it wont open a thread without having to open it in a new tab, I cant navigate away from stratics without having to open a new tab, I get scrip errors like you are getting, the boards software is a disaster in IE

Last edited:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Pretty sure it's an IE problem.

IE9 is just horrible for HTML5 and CSS3 support, and IE10 is better but still not as good as either Firefox or Chrome. Microsoft has always tried to set their own standards, made it difficult for any other browser to use, and then got left behind when their proprietary code wasn't adopted... every version of IE up through 8 was like that. I hate websites that were developed specifically for IE, and don't work properly in anything else. I don't particularly like Chrome, but it's best at complying with most web standards.

So don't blame Stratics because you use IE. Like Shamus said, it's your call.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Frodo, I have given up with IE on stratics. Pisses me off cause I use IE for everything else. I now use chrome to use stratics and that's the only thing I use chrome for. I have many more problems with the stratics site than you have and im running IE version 10.09.

In IE it wont open a thread without having to open it in a new tab, I cant navigate away from stratics without having to open a new tab, I get scrip errors like you are getting, the boards software is a disaster in IE
Pretty sure it's an IE problem.

IE9 is just horrible for HTML5 and CSS3 support, and IE10 is better but still not as good as either Firefox or Chrome. Microsoft has always tried to set their own standards, made it difficult for any other browser to use, and then got left behind when their proprietary code wasn't adopted... every version of IE up through 8 was like that. I hate websites that were developed specifically for IE, and don't work properly in anything else. I don't particularly like Chrome, but it's best at complying with most web standards.

So don't blame Stratics because you use IE. Like Shamus said, it's your call.
What is strange is I have no problem with other pages on UOStratics at all, just the UOStratics Forum pages and this just started yesterday and is still here today. This has happened to me in the past but it was like once in a blue moon but never with every thread. Thanks for the info and it really is sad that I would have to use a different brouser just to look at UOStratics Forum.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
What is strange is I have no problem with other pages on UOStratics at all, just the UOStratics Forum pages and this just started yesterday and is still here today. This has happened to me in the past but it was like once in a blue moon but never with every thread. Thanks for the info and it really is sad that I would have to use a different brouser just to look at UOStratics Forum.
Not strange at all.

The UOStratics main pages run on Wordpress, while the forums run on Xenforo - two completely separate and different software. But I would be willing to be that it is the ads that are running on the forums, and not on the main pages. If you were using another browser, you could run an ad-blocking addon and avoid it altogether and speed up your browser. I don't think IE has anything like that. You can turn off java script in IE, but many web pages won't work or load.

Anyway, what is the big deal about using Firefox or Chrome instead of IE?

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try running IE in "Safe Mode" and see if the issue goes away, as it may be a 3rd party module that is at fault.
Find it under All Programs/Accessories/System Tools