• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discordance] What is best to have music at? 100 or 120?

C

Coragin

I am currently stuck on training discord. I am stuck at 113.5 and have 120 music.

I read through the guides and it seemed to hint that 100 music is best, can anyone confirm what the best all around number to have your music at for better gains? I have been stuck for hours now even while discording para balrons and cu's all day long, not one skill gain, only getting .1 a day if I am lucky.

O

Old Man of UO

No one can actually "confirm" locking music at 100 gives better gains. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence suggesting people get faster gains that way. They only thing that can be confirmed are the GGs system (ROT on Siege) and faster gains below 400 total skill points.

I tried both with music at 100 and also at 120 for discord gains. I couldn't see any difference, but everyone's experience at this will vary. After a few days, I put 120 music back on, jeweled up to 120 discord with some nice jewelry and played just like I had 120 discord all the time... and collected gains as they came. There are few things more boring than grinding discord gains, except maybe taming skill. I would REALLY suggest using this method because it gets you back into actual play the fastest.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one can actually "confirm" locking music at 100 gives better gains. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence suggesting people get faster gains that way. They only thing that can be confirmed are the GGs system (ROT on Siege) and faster gains below 400 total skill points.
Sorry old man but you are giving out false information here.

Having music at 100 wil allow you to gain much better at the higher end of the scale as your fail rate will be closer to the 50% level which is where you get the best gains for all skills.

O

Old Man of UO

Sorry old man but you are giving out false information here.

Having music at 100 wil allow you to gain much better at the higher end of the scale as your fail rate will be closer to the 50% level which is where you get the best gains for all skills.
I've done it both ways and didn't see much difference. Anything you say contrary is the same as what I've said, anecdotal. In Coragin's case, it's not worth the effort to reduce music to 100 if he already has it at 120, and then raise it back up to 120 (or stone it, and re-train to 100). He/she is better off using jewelry to make up the difference and go on playing. Each situation is different. If you make UO a skill grind, well it's a grind.

So in my opinion, your opinion is false, and you don't know what you are talking about. :sleep2:

*edit* Had to step out for work. What I want to add is that you do not need to limit music skill to get good gains. You can get the same gains without locking music at 100, but especially if you already have it at 120 you don't need to drop it.
You point about the 50% success rate (really it's 40% to 60% for the sweet spot) is valid and that is what you need to work around. Change monsters, jewelry and instruments until you hit no more than 60% success. Remember,
- Using an exceptional instrument reduces base difficulty by 5
- Using an aligned "slayer" instrument reduces base difficulty by 10
- Using an opposite aligned "slayer" instrument increases base difficulty by 10
I like to use opposite aligned instruments or NPC purchased instruments to increase the difficulty. Even at 120 music skill and any discord skill you can find creatures to discord that puts you in or near the sweet spot.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done it both ways and didn't see much difference. Anything you say contrary is the same as what I've said, anecdotal. In Coragin's case, it's not worth the effort to reduce music to 100 if he already has it at 120, and then raise it back up to 120 (or stone it, and re-train to 100). He/she is better off using jewelry to make up the difference and go on playing. Each situation is different. If you make UO a skill grind, well it's a grind.

So in my opinion, your opinion is false, and you don't know what you are talking about. :sleep2:

*edit* Had to step out for work. What I want to add is that you do not need to limit music skill to get good gains. You can get the same gains without locking music at 100, but especially if you already have it at 120 you don't need to drop it.
You point about the 50% success rate (really it's 40% to 60% for the sweet spot) is valid and that is what you need to work around. Change monsters, jewelry and instruments until you hit no more than 60% success. Remember,
- Using an exceptional instrument reduces base difficulty by 5
- Using an aligned "slayer" instrument reduces base difficulty by 10
- Using an opposite aligned "slayer" instrument increases base difficulty by 10
I like to use opposite aligned instruments or NPC purchased instruments to increase the difficulty. Even at 120 music skill and any discord skill you can find creatures to discord that puts you in or near the sweet spot.
When you get the the stage that you are succeeding far more than you are failing, the gains slow down because you are far away from the 50% ratio where you get the best gains. Fact.

At the higher end of training discordance and provocation you will arrive at this stage. Fact.

If your music is lowered to 100, you will have less chance of succeeding your discordance/provocation attempt and therefor have a better chance to gain. Fact.

This is textbook stuff old man of uo, you should try consulting the stickies here because quite frankly, your talking rubbish.

And gawd knows what your talking about with opposing slayers giving you less chance than a regular non exceptional instrument, again your giving out mis-information.

At the stage the OP currently finds himself, even with the high end creatures like CU's, he will succeed often and therefor find it very hard to get gains. Having music at 120 makes matters WORSE...

Currently, if he is listening to you, these forums have become more of a hinderance than a help to him.

Reducing music from 120 to 100 is no hassle because its probably about the easist skill in the game to get to 120.

Please check your facts before giving out any more false information.

O

Old Man of UO

This is textbook stuff old man of uo, you should try consulting the stickies here because quite frankly, your talking rubbish.

And gawd knows what your talking about with opposing slayers giving you less chance than a regular non exceptional instrument, again your giving out mis-information.

Heh... I find you know a lot less than you pretend to. Those sticky guides are just that, guides. They are a good place to start, but not absolutes. The lower success rate with opposing slayer instruments is the same as lowering your barding skills and success rate. If you would consult the guides on Stratics, you might know that...

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh... I find you know a lot less than you pretend to. Those sticky guides are just that, guides. They are a good place to start, but not absolutes. The lower success rate with opposing slayer instruments is the same as lowering your barding skills and success rate. If you would consult the guides on Stratics, you might know that...
Ok, say that information isn't horribly outdated and slayer instruments do still function that way (which I do not believe they do) do you not have any response to the rest of my post there, where I basically called you out for talking garbage re: lowering your music?

O

Old Man of UO

Ok, say that information isn't horribly outdated and slayer instruments do still function that way (which I do not believe they do) do you not have any response to the rest of my post there, where I basically called you out for talking garbage re: lowering your music?
I'm not going to argue point by point with you. You don't agree with me, and I don't agree with you. I've tried Poo's advice in the sticky, and found something that worked better for me, and gave advice based on what worked for me. You haven't tried what I suggested. I've read all of the barding guides on Stratics which apparently you haven't... my information is based on all of that and personal experience.

We are both offering advice, just disagree on which is better. Coragin is free to use what he/she may of it. Maybe you aren't right. Maybe there is a better way. Without trying another way you will never know. OH, and you should really read the other Stratics guides.

C

Coragin

Okay well I finally got TWO charecters with 120 discord and I can say this for FACT.

While it took probably 5 days to a week to get the one with 120 music up to 120 provoke. It only took 3 days total, 0 to 120 with 100 music. So, in the future, if I ever do this again lol, I will be doing it at 100 music and not 120, this is from my own personal exp.

Also, from 50+ I did it all on cu's, 50 to 120. Cu;s and only Cu's. I tamed them and put them on my boat and released them. Is that legal? I dont know if it is or not, its been so long, but it dont seem to be much different than the golem training or satyr trick for other training.

By the way, can you discord other players? In your guild or in Fel? I will ask that in a different thread.