• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

what if we could not buy gold

Boondocker

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
what would life be like if we had 2 ern every gold piece rather than by millions in gold
for just a little real money.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
While Mythic or Broadsword can't stop people from buying, it is illegal as it breaks the agreement all of us make to play. People buying gold cause inflation. The gold today in UO isn't worth the same as it was in 2004 when I started. This means only a couple of my alts have skills at 120. Their armour isn't top rate. Does it bother me, a bit. It would be nice to afford 120 skill scrolls, but I still get a thrill when I GM a skill :). Always remember that gold can't buy friends, great memories, and the thrill of earning that 1st mil.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they would embrace gold selling they could corner the market..make a profit, maybe get another dev or two and work on some shoddy game mechanics..but then again why would they want to gold farmers to shut down their 50+ alt accounts teehee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i remember when i mill went for 20 bucks... and u could sell em on ebay.. I won't lie i bought my first beater car from UO at 16.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have fun farming..I'll buy my 100m for $15 :/...just too bad EA never capitalized on gold selling or an in game platinum coin store..

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Have fun farming..I'll buy my 100m for $15 :/...just too bad EA never capitalized on gold selling or an in game platinum coin store..

Doesn't buying gold inflate prices of everything even more? Just asking.

Farming does suck big time.... :(

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most newer people wouldnt play if they couldnt buy gold. Theres just too much a disparity gold wise from people who have been playing the game for 15years and the people who have played maybe a couple years.

Just like the third party sites make huge profits, players make huge profits to fullfill a need EA / Mythic chose to ignore. (ok they DID introduce needed items from the EA stores that players can sell in game for gold, but at the rlm price in the store vrs what they sell for in game its a ripoff.

I bought 5mil back in 2005 ill admit, but other than that i made all my gold from in game means. Dont let anyone tell you you HAVE to buy gold. ive made billions upon billions just like many other totally legit law abiding players by selling items, knowing the value of items, taking advantage of what the game has to offer in terms of drops and the best way to get those drops. Crafting suits. Everything.

Buying a little gold to speed up your character makes sense if you dont feel like the grind. Same as buying a mythic token. But you dont have too. anyone can make billions with a little knowhow, patience, luck, and while having fun :)

So the point is, even if there were no EA store items to sell for quick gold, no way to buy gold. Theres still so much gold in game and its so easy to make that it wouldnt be a problem. People would adapt and learn how to make there own gold, quit the game, or grind their entire game away looting gold off corpses.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Most newer people wouldnt play if they couldnt buy gold. Theres just too much a disparity gold wise from people who have been playing the game for 15years and the people who have played maybe a couple years.

Just like the third party sites make huge profits, players make huge profits to fullfill a need EA / Mythic chose to ignore. (ok they DID introduce needed items from the EA stores that players can sell in game for gold, but at the rlm price in the store vrs what they sell for in game its a ripoff.

I bought 5mil back in 2005 ill admit, but other than that i made all my gold from in game means. Dont let anyone tell you you HAVE to buy gold. ive made billions upon billions just like many other totally legit law abiding players by selling items, knowing the value of items, taking advantage of what the game has to offer in terms of drops and the best way to get those drops. Crafting suits. Everything.

Buying a little gold to speed up your character makes sense if you dont feel like the grind. Same as buying a mythic token. But you dont have too. anyone can make billions with a little knowhow, patience, luck, and while having fun :)

So the point is, even if there were no EA store items to sell for quick gold, no way to buy gold. Theres still so much gold in game and its so easy to make that it wouldnt be a problem. People would adapt and learn how to make there own gold, quit the game, or grind their entire game away looting gold off corpses.
Eheh...I'm still trying to figure out how to make the billions and billions...

Boondocker

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Have fun farming..I'll buy my 100m for $15
Yes I will, for me it is about play style.

At the end of a work day I log on and immerse into my character. Put RL way out of the way. I check my skills , reorganize my house, meet with a few friends.

To see my characters skills grow Is a sense of accomplishment. Now I can do more things and learn new tricks. More than I could do before. Remember those friends I mentioned. Now we can hunt together, or trade armor. Or laugh about getting killed.

As time goes buy we have history together. Who knows , might even make a few more friends along the way.

And the house. I worked hard for that stuff. That stuff brings back memories. The times we had working that dungeon or doing those quests. What price can you pay, to have memories of friends.

OK so rather than all that I could buy millions in gold buy a house in luna and buy the best armor. And buy all the arties my RL can afford.
Now what? My life in UO now comes thanks to my RL employer. That's the guy I was trying to forget about when I loged into UO in the first place. And the friends I have now. The ones that are impressed with my big fancy house with all the great arties. Who are they? What times have we shared together? Or this is a good one. Why are we friends? Did it have to do with all that cool stuff my RL employer helped me buy?

Yep, I think it is about play style.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tons of ways. hate to say it but buying and selling still the most reliable way to make gold.

you can make a few hundred k from a brand new character just with the starter 1k in your backpack just from buying and selling arrows to and from npcs. after that it only gets bigger and bigger.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
tons of ways. hate to say it but buying and selling still the most reliable way to make gold.

you can make a few hundred k from a brand new character just with the starter 1k in your backpack just from buying and selling arrows to and from npcs. after that it only gets bigger and bigger.
Doing what now????? I feel like I've been living in outer space or under a rock...

How do you do that? Is there some guide to this??

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just make a stealther to idoc, and a sampire for just about anything else. You'll be on your way to billionaire status before u know it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doing what now????? I feel like I've been living in outer space or under a rock...

How do you do that? Is there some guide to this??
lol what the arrows thing? i dunno its just a good way to make gold on a new character on a new shard. i dont do it anymore, but have in the past when i wanted to play a new shard. npcs sell arrows for different prices. usually luna is highest, and some out of the way npc bowyer is lowest.
Arrows is where i made my first millions. i spent many arrows training up skills and looting arrows off ratman archers. easy kill, and equivelent of about 2.5k per kill after you sell the arrows. and buying arrows for 10 gold per, then selling them to another npc for 30 gold per.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smoot.. gotta love the arrow trick... I remember way back when leading seakers of adventure away from moonglow and killing them for there gold... then they made em spawn archers lol

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Just make a stealther to idoc, and a sampire for just about anything else. You'll be on your way to billionaire status before u know it.

Hmmm...my noobness prevents me from understanding what "idoc" means. "Sampire" is a max damage template, as I understand, right?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IDOC = in danger of collapse. It's when a players account has not been paid and the account is inactive. After 90 days the house will drop and thus do do the contents.

Sampire is a warrior template designed to whoop ass which is exactly what it does! Plenty of threads in the warrior section about sampires.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran

That's a pretty good idea...I already have a couple of characters I have been trying to find out what to do with, half trained and all. I guess One will be a Sampire and the other one a Nox Thief or something like that.

IDOC = in danger of collapse. It's when a players account has not been paid and the account is inactive. After 90 days the house will drop and thus do do the contents.

Sampire is a warrior template designed to whoop ass which is exactly what it does! Plenty of threads in the warrior section about sampires.
I hope the Nox Thief is any good at it? something like this? As for the Sampire you are right I'll have to read a bit about it first, but probably Swordsmanship is assured as it is already Trained on the character I will use it on.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've made my 5 mil by being the second on LA to craft a pendant of the Magi. The rest I've made with vendors. The three vendors that have made the most are my resource ones. I can't keep plain woods,ores, and leathers on them. There is a thread on this fourm on how to make your first mil. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Last edited:

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That is the one. :). Some day I'll learn how to post links using my IPad

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
@Tamais & @DJAd,

I'm holding you both super responsible for me getting even more hooked up in this game ;)

I went to have a look at my first character ever, a fighter and am GM or almost GM in some skill already. the earth elementals in New Haven were almost like butter with my crappy armor and scimitar (72% Life leach...not so bad to start again).

Now it's Sampire forum reading and deciding which skill to dump and which to keep...*sighs*

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't tried that program. What all does it do?
It is pretty cool you can setup multiple forums get push notifications, much easier to scan thru forums worth the 1.99 or whatever it is

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I'm using it as well. It's very handy when you want you see the forum on your mobile. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well...I have a Samsung so for the Android it's free...not sure, but maybe he was talking about the iPhone?
Free on iPhone also I just had a look. The "pro" version you have to pay for.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
So that's what it was then...I use the free version and works just fine for what I need to do: check the forum and reply ;)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Free on iPhone also I just had a look. The "pro" version you have to pay for.
I paid for it a long time ago..maybe since they came out with tapatalk 2 and tapatalk pro it's free

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be fair it's such a great app I'd recommend it to anyone even if it does cost a little bit. I'd say I spend 50% of browsing time in the app and the rest on the website.