• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What I Did With Castle "Customizing"

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I was posting some when customizing first came out. Thought this might help some people with what is possible. I enjoy the look of castles in general. So I mostly just built up from the existing design.

First Floor East Mini-Room

First Floor East Room.jpg

First Floor West Mini-Room
First Floor West Room.jpg

Second Floor East Room
Second Floor East Room.jpg

Second Floor West Room
Second Floor West Room.jpg

Roof East Walk Way
Roof East Walk Way.jpg

Roof West Walk Way
Roof West Walk Way.jpg

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
awesome! did you do anything on the northside?
No not yet. If I did it would probably be the same of raising the walls up. I was slightly concerned I might block a house to the north. Doesn't seen to be a clear understanding how those rules are enforced. Although I assume they don't load unless you step on the porch. Little danger of people building to the sides of me. It's such a project doing the north and west walls I'm not sure I wanna go through it lol Pretty much gotta strip everything outta the house in the area too.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I just love this , i have recently returned to game and so much has changed, so can you customize keeps as well? And did you replace a wall with doors?

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just love this , i have recently returned to game and so much has changed, so can you customize keeps as well? And did you replace a wall with doors?
Yes, the latest expansiob, Times of legends, made it possible to craft walls, stairs, doors etc. so you can customize any house now. Although you still cant remove any of the excisting doors or walls, for that you still need to have a customizable house :)

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So I need to purchase the ime of Legends
I actually dont know if it is required to have the expansion to make the wall etc. You will need a GM carpenter and then buy and read the book "Making Valuables with Stonecrafting". To make doors, sign hangers etc. you need tinkering. So you can easily test it if you have got a crafter with these skills :)
Or else someone else might know whether or not the expansions is required to make and use the new custom parts - @FrejaSP , @Capt. Lucky ??

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I will look, when I get home, if you need ToL to craft it, I can't test if you need ToL to use the items but I don't think so. All my account was upgraded free.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
You do need ToL to craft the stone items but I believe, if you find someone who will craft for you, you can use the items to customize your home

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I do have a gm carpenter and tinker ,however the skills are on two different characters,I can transfer the skills on same one if neso in a keep or castle do you use the customize option? It doesn't come up on my account with a keep

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It's not like normal house customizing, more like use of goza, snow tiles, carpet and other stuff. You craft walls, Blocks, stairs, doors and floor tiles via your crafting menu. for the granit items, you need your carpentry to read the book you can buy from the stone crafter in Ter Mur and buy the tools too. The metal doors are from the tinkering menu.

Doors will gave to be locked down. Walls, stairs and floor tiles must be dbl clicked to lock down like with carpet. They do not use lock down counts.

You can turn and raise them with your deco tools.
Stone Crafting | Ultima Online

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Another annoying little thing is if you plop down something like flowers on a player made floor tile you might find them sunk into the floor after reset. I usually raise that kinda thing like flowers one notch up after locking down. If you try locking the stuff down, other than doors and I think the walls that open like doors it will decay. I lost a few floor tiles locking down flowers and must have hit the floor tile by mistake. Like was mentioned only dbl clicking works. It's a pain when that happens. Doing the north and west outside walls are insane and I think there's a whole thread on that here somewhere. I would strongly suggest stripping every floor of anything in the area your working on. It makes it so much easier. Sometimes impossible otherwise.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
And what about the floating floors i have seen ,,,,,is that part of the new thing with customizing houses? Can it to, be done in castles and keeps? and classic housing or just customized housing?

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Another annoying little thing is if you plop down something like flowers on a player made floor tile you might find them sunk into the floor after reset. I usually raise that kinda thing like flowers one notch up after locking down. If you try locking the stuff down, other than doors and I think the walls that open like doors it will decay. I lost a few floor tiles locking down flowers and must have hit the floor tile by mistake. Like was mentioned only dbl clicking works. It's a pain when that happens. Doing the north and west outside walls are insane and I think there's a whole thread on that here somewhere. I would strongly suggest stripping every floor of anything in the area your working on. It makes it so much easier. Sometimes impossible otherwise.
Log out and back in somewhere away from your house, like Haven, then recall to your house, but don't go in or step on the steps. Most of the items in the house won't load, and you will be able to drop the pavers along the outside north and west walls without having to strip everything. Then use CTR-ALT and use the item handles to raise them. Mannequins still seem to get in the way though.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Log out and back in somewhere away from your house, like Haven, then recall to your house, but don't go in or step on the steps. Most of the items in the house won't load, and you will be able to drop the pavers along the outside north and west walls without having to strip everything. Then use CTR-ALT and use the item handles to raise them. Mannequins still seem to get in the way though.
In general it's still insane the stuff we gotta go through lol. Wasn't happy at all with the approach the devs took with this, but it's all we got. They threw us a bone.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
And what about the floating floors i have seen ,,,,,is that part of the new thing with customizing houses? Can it to, be done in castles and keeps? and classic housing or just customized housing?
Your probably seeing floating gozas. Do a search for that. I think the goza thing usually looks bad. Well honestly, I think it always looks bad :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
BTW this is a pic of the same spot I have. First I had to deal with hiding the weeds in "weed castle" and now this add a wall thing ;) I had a post before with just trying to hide the weeds and have it look somewhat normal.

castle with plants in floor.png

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
WOW, you really need a kind of weed remover, never seen that before :p
I really like the water near your step
Well as in the top photo in my original post if you walked in you'd never see them. But it took some work to get it to look ok and still make some kind of sense. Took a lot of tinkering to find a set up that worked and I was happy with. But I'm happy with it now. Thank the devs for marble bar sections cause granite tables and such didn't hide it. People that visit just assume I wanted a bar theme lol. Which is cool, I like it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Or if there is a public house or a house you have access to near, just step on the step and then go back to your own house and the items in your house are not visible before you step on your step.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Epic castle :) I love it! So colourful and great displays :). Im a tree hugger so i love all the greenery and nature parts of it :) And the swamp bit turnt out awesome. How did you manage to place the castle on that swamp tree? I wouldnt have thought it would of placed with that there.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Epic castle :) I love it! So colourful and great displays :). Im a tree hugger so i love all the greenery and nature parts of it :) And the swamp bit turnt out awesome. How did you manage to place the castle on that swamp tree? I wouldnt have thought it would of placed with that there.
Yeah as far as I know every shard has that one quirky space south of Trinsic. I never would have thought it possible until I saw one placed there on another shard. I've heard people tell me they knew of the spot but couldn't get it to place. It's gotta be dead on. I was a happy camper when I saw it pop up. At first I wasn't thrilled with it. But I've made it mine. I've always been a Trinsic guy so I've got my dream spot. The only spot I like better is that south of Trinsic castle spot that sits on the water. The funny thing is I've always had an alligator on my porch since they came out. It was sort of a tradition of mine. I finally have a proper area for my alligators. I think moats are suppose to be outside the castle though :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This is my new project. I had a homeless account I was saving for a Luna house. After a few months I gave up on Luna. Just couldn't find the right place for the right price. So anyway, being a Trinsic guy and always wanting a place by the water I built this. It's on the little island connected to Trinsic on the east side. It's like in the area of a 10x10. With my storage adds on the account I'm up over 2K in storage, which is good. The largest I could build here was a 2 story. Would have liked a sandstone but since you can't craft walls sandstone color I went this route. I built the 2 story up 2 floors (so it's 4 floors plus the roof) and it's turning into a roomy place. I got the message you can't build any higher, lol. Put a lighthouse on top I brought over from GL's. So now I have a nice little Trinsic place on the water where I can place my big gun ship next to it. But my little 2 story is now 4 floors with a light house on top so it looks fairly impressive. Trinsic council was nice enough to build a road to the place ;)

barrier.jpg

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
This is my new project. I had a homeless account I was saving for a Luna house. After a few months I gave up on Luna. Just couldn't find the right place for the right price. So anyway, being a Trinsic guy and always wanting a place by the water I built this. It's on the little island connected to Trinsic on the east side. It's like in the area of a 10x10. With my storage adds on the account I'm up over 2K in storage, which is good. The largest I could build here was a 2 story. Would have liked a sandstone but since you can't craft walls sandstone color I went this route. I built the 2 story up 2 floors (so it's 4 floors plus the roof) and it's turning into a roomy place. I got the message you can't build any higher, lol. Put a lighthouse on top I brought over from GL's. So now I have a nice little Trinsic place on the water where I can place my big gun ship next to it. But my little 2 story is now 4 floors with a light house on top so it looks fairly impressive. Trinsic council was nice enough to build a road to the place ;)

View attachment 41004
Imagine how awesome that would look in invulnerability blue......

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
and more windows!
I don't like windows. They always mess me up later on when I try to put up a bulletin board or whatever. Plus they really make it obvious how goofy the perspective is in UO. They seldom look like they're spaced right and throws the balance all off.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yes, the latest expansiob, Times of legends, made it possible to craft walls, stairs, doors etc. so you can customize any house now. Although you still cant remove any of the excisting doors or walls, for that you still need to have a customizable house :)
So with the new expansion you can make floors above the walkways? How exactly is that done?

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I was posting some when customizing first came out. Thought this might help some people with what is possible. I enjoy the look of castles in general. So I mostly just built up from the existing design.

First Floor East Mini-Room

View attachment 39882

First Floor West Mini-Room
View attachment 39883

Second Floor East Room
View attachment 39884

Second Floor West Room
View attachment 39885

Roof East Walk Way
View attachment 39886

Roof West Walk Way
View attachment 39887
How did you place the flors over the walkways?

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
You would craft some pavers, place them on the existing walkways and raise them up with the house deco tool. You'd have to go up to the floor above to finish raising them. There are a few short cuts with the blocks that can speed this up. Also, the western and northernmost tiles are tricky. Best bet is to have someone show you in game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I think this was answered but I didn't want you to think I ignored ya :) The walls, steps, doors, etc are all craftable. Well you can place the floor tiles on an existing floor then raise the floor tiles with a deco tool. Then you can make some steps to take you up to the new floor level. Ladders work too. Once you get up above the new floor then you can continue raising the floor, etc. Up to the max height (you'll get a message you can't build any higher). Usually you can continue raising anything if you can target it and get above it. That's a handy trick for multiple situations. If you make a last target macro you can raise things you can't even see. Target something with the deco tool then run up the stairs and do the last target last action macro of some sorts. Forget exactly what my deco macro is lol. It's all a little tricky at times with these new walls but it can all be worked around. Like sometimes you can raise a new floor only so high and you can't walk under it. So I'll raise half a floor and then get on top on it and continue raising it, then do the other half of the floor, etc. It's doable. I'm not insanely happy with this new system. But it's all we got. I've had to eject myself from my own house more than once when I built myself into an area I couldn't get out of, lol. There's some good posts in this forum that goes into more detail about placing north and west walls, etc.

Oh the biggest thing is don't lock down any of these with the lock down command. Double click them to lock them down or they decay (they'll change color). Can't remember about doors though, you might need to use the lock down command on those.

Last edited:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Yes, doors need lock down command. Double clicking them opens and closes them. Accidentally double clicking the wall immediately next to the door unlocks that section of wall, which then will decay. Then you never need to open the door again, as you can walk around it.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I think this was answered but I didn't want you to think I ignored ya :) The walls, steps, doors, etc are all craftable. Well you can place the floor tiles on an existing floor then raise the floor tiles with a deco tool. Then you can make some steps to take you up to the new floor level. Ladders work too. Once you get up above the new floor then you can continue raising the floor, etc. Up to the max height (you'll get a message you can't build any higher). Usually you can continue raising anything if you can target it and get above it. That's a handy trick for multiple situations. If you make a last target macro you can raise things you can't even see. Target something with the deco tool then run up the stairs and do the last target last action macro of some sorts. Forget exactly what my deco macro is lol. It's all a little tricky at times with these new walls but it can all be worked around. Like sometimes you can raise a new floor only so high and you can't walk under it. So I'll raise half a floor and then get on top on it and continue raising it, then do the other half of the floor, etc. It's doable. I'm not insanely happy with this new system. But it's all we got. I've had to eject myself from my own house more than once when I built myself into an area I couldn't get out of, lol. There's some good posts in this forum that goes into more detail about placing north and west walls, etc.

Oh the biggest thing is don't lock down any of these with the lock down command. Double click them to lock them down or they decay (they'll change color). Can't remember about doors though, you might need to use the lock down command on those.
LOL Eject yourself from the house

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You would craft some pavers, place them on the existing walkways and raise them up with the house deco tool. You'd have to go up to the floor above to finish raising them. There are a few short cuts with the blocks that can speed this up. Also, the western and northernmost tiles are tricky. Best bet is to have someone show you in game.
one Q: how the holy **** you can get west on north side tiles placed, i cannot put them on the existing wall, just one in front... i stopped after about 2h before i got too much in rage lol HEEEEEEEEEEELP please :)

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
one Q: how the holy **** you can get west on north side tiles placed, i cannot put them on the existing wall, just one in front... i stopped after about 2h before i got too much in rage lol HEEEEEEEEEEELP please :)
These have to be dropped from outside, using the circle of transparency. It's a little tricky, but you can place a paver half under the foundation. then you have to raise it up with the house deco tool from inside. Then you can place the north or west walls on the paver, after which you raise the paver further for the roof.. It sounds harder than it is, but its a lot easier if someone shows you. I've found this part is easier with the EC because of the zoom feature, except the area under the stairs. It will look something like this:
. finly.jpg
You can lock it down from outside, but have to go inside to raise it. If you've already placed a lot of tiles, I'd use a paver made out of different stone (i.e. dull copper), so that when you use CTRL-ALT, you can raise it with the object handles without much guess work. And you are going to remove these tiles when you are done anyway.
After placing and raising from inside first floor looks like this:
finly2a.jpg
Then have to go to next floor and raise further. press CTRL-SHIFT to bring up the object handles, right click to clear away the ones that you don't need, then deco tool to raise them further, to about here:
finly4.jpg
Now you can drop a wall tile on them, double click to lock it down, and raise/lower it to position.

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
These have to be dropped from outside, using the circle of transparency. It's a little tricky, but you can place a paver half under the foundation. then you have to raise it up with the house deco tool from inside. Then you can place the north or west walls on the paver, after which you raise the paver further for the roof.. It sounds harder than it is, but its a lot easier if someone shows you. I've found this part is easier with the EC because of the zoom feature, except the area under the stairs. It will look something like this:
. View attachment 41541
You can lock it down from outside, but have to go inside to raise it. If you've already placed a lot of tiles, I'd use a paver made out of different stone (i.e. dull copper), so that when you use CTRL-ALT, you can raise it with the object handles without much guess work. And you are going to remove these tiles when you are done anyway.
After placing and raising from inside first floor looks like this:
View attachment 41542
Then have to go to next floor and raise further. press CTRL-SHIFT to bring up the object handles, right click to clear away the ones that you don't need, then deco tool to raise them further, to about here:
View attachment 41543
Now you can drop a wall tile on them, double click to lock it down, and raise/lower it to position.
I do this in the CC no problem. And sell me a couple of those bears ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
There's some long threads on doing this in this forum. That's a place I'd look cause it can get "involved".