• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What happened to the econemy

I Just returned after maybe about 7-8 years. What happened to the economy? I still have about 10 mil in gold and thought that would be enough to get myself an 18 x 18 but houses and items in the billions of gold now. where are players getting that amount of gold from?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
where are players getting that amount of gold from?
Farming loot / em events and selling the items for gold (see traders hall section) or buying gold for $$$ from other websites / players.

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can still play just fine without billions of gold though. And depending on what you are like to do in-game, there is also some quick gold to be made if you wanna invest a little time :)
I dont PVP myself, but it seems that that is where the most expensive armor etc. is sold. In normal PVM you can do very well on a pretty decent budget.
I started a new character on Atlantic not many months ago and I am doing fine now - just started out doing the new turtle champ spawn, as there are normally many people doing it. Although I died a lot I usually got looting right on the champ and could collect 100-250k gold off the ground at the end. Sometimes I would get a turtle egg that could easily be sold for 2+ mill.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ah I see, well my return was a short one.
The only shard without a completely inflated economy is Siege Perilous. Make sure you read up on the different rule set and don't let the different skill gain system scare you away - you can get every skill (especially taming!) to 120 within 3-4 weeks tops depending on how much time you can play each day. If you decide to give it a shot feel free to join general chat and ask for help. The population is rather mature and will offer help instead of personal insults. Good Luck!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Farming loot / em events and selling the items for gold (see traders hall section) or buying gold for $$$ from other websites / players.
Which, except for farming, is VERY sad. *longs for the "good old days" when scripters/dupers/gold sellers were banned. Instead of catered to.*

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no decay timer of course and yes you can sit on it until you get whatever you think is right. however sometimes people are pressed for gp (e.g. upcoming auction) and would rather sell cheap but quickly than wait a long time for the maximum price...

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I love siege and the economy is awesome there. Things cost what they should cost and aren't insane... With a little time, farming, and help from great friends I already made its been a blast so far.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much does a 120 magery sell for on SP though?
I bought my last one for 3 mil on Siege which equals to e.g. 3 heritage Tokens there or a Orc Ship or a Hephaestus Shield...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, if economy is an aspect that should work reasonably within your concept of playing UO, you definitely SHOULD come to Siege. All other shards are more or less the economic outskirts of Atlantic which itself is the pinnacle of financial insanity!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What's hilarious is that so many of the Fel side of the economy have become so infatuated with the inflated prices on Atlantic that they've left their home shards for there. My shard no longer has any Powerscroll vendors, and I've not seen a red in Fel in years. I know they're there, what few remain, but they are typically at their homes or Yew Gate.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Absolutely! The introduction of shard shields ruined uo economy and a lot of communities due people moving on just to try to make gold anymore. Shard shields should be removed or dropped down to a 1-3rd year reward. If everyone was able to do these transfers, people could move to sell items and take the gold back and still enjoy their home shards. The multiboxers will always have the advantage in uo due to those shard shields, if you take that away from them prices will be competitive again.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I hate when a new player asks a question and gets these negative responses.

The economy has been affected by inflation... just like the real life economy has. That's not to say that some of the issues brought up by the posters before me aren't legitimate... but let's think about this logically here. This game has been around for nearly 20 years and has been accumulating gold with more and more players since then. With the largest concentration of players also moving to the Atlantic shard, inflation continued to grow as most gold and other assets in the game are now on Atlantic.

There are plenty of ways to earn money and many existing players in this game always willing to help out new players buy armor, weapons, or anything else needed in order to get a start. Especially if you join a good guild, you will find plenty of people willing to help you out.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Probably not in Trammel on Atlantic, but most everywhere else, yes.
There are a surprising amount of open 18x18 houses in Atlantic Trammel too actually. A house drops due to an IDOC in the middle of nowhere, and most people don't go anywhere other than cities and dungeons anymore so it just sits there empty for months sometimes until someone eventually stumbles across it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
How much does a 120 magery go for on Atlantic?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Different game. I could not imagine how to make 35 million on the fly. Not for one scroll.

Tectop

Journeyman
I agree about the Shard transfer shields. They should be removed or be a 1st or 2nd year reward. Even the player that has only been around a couple years still pay's the same amount of real cash to play this game as the long time players.Just think everyone should be able on enjoy the game and have an equally shot as the next person

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hate when a new player asks a question and gets these negative responses.
[...]
There are plenty of ways to earn money and many existing players in this game always willing to help out new players buy armor, weapons, or anything else needed in order to get a start. Especially if you join a good guild, you will find plenty of people willing to help you out.
I want to second that. Even on Atlantic you can live on a budget of 10mil. You won't own a castle or Zento house and you won't be the top guy in PvP, sure, but you can easily place max storage houses, especially if you don't mind living in fel. And for PvM its more about the RNG as you only need looting rights and not be top damager or anything.

However, if you want to be one of the top 5%, UO is not the game for you after such a long break :p

E: Poor me, just realized how old this thread was. Bloody necromancers!