• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What can tamers solo?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I know sampires can solo quite a few things like Narvey, Proxymus, Dreadhorn, Medusa, Champ Spawns etc. Using one character can get dull though....and I have an old school tamer, I just don't know what to kill with it.

So what high level monsters/bosses can tamers solo? When would you prefer to use your tamer over a dexer? Finally, what build do you use to achieve victory against the bosses?

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tamers can't solo peerless bosses or champ bosses, the life leech allows sampires to do that. Cant have that on Tamers. To solo strongest stuff possible for tamer you'll need a nice Greater Dragon or Turtle Dragon and buff it with the consume damage mastery.

You can solo Navrey with tamer, ive done it with my greater dragon but it takes forever. Can solo Bone Demon you summon in doom. You can solo the mini champs in abyss, ive done a few with my dragon. Can solo paragon stuff i guess, ive done paragon balron before and paragon ancient wyrm. Maybe paragon greater dragon with the new consume damage buff. I havent tried stronger stuff with the consume damage yet than what ive listed.

Thing is tamers are great, i love my tamer, they are good all rounders. They can tank things pretty well with GD and Turtle drag. But they simply cant dish out the damage like sampires and other classes can to solo the end bosses. Damage is reasonable but not great compared to other classes so it takes a hell of a long time to solo hard stuff. You can make your damage output awesome with a pet combo like rune beetle/bake or what i personally use is Bane dragon/Tiger or Bane/Bake. But if you do this then those pets aren't tanky at all and you simply cant keep them healed against the tough bosses.

Also being able to vet and greater heal your drag/turtle at same time allows you to heal through alot of damage being dealt to your pet, thats what i do against bone demon etc and with consume damage it makes your pet one hell of a tank, but any monster with Area of effect abilities will quickly switch target onto you or kill you through damage so you cant stand next to your pet and vet it. And most if not all high end bosses have some form of AoE attack or abilitiy that makes them switch to attack you.

Now I just run a pure tamer mage 120 Mage,eval,med,tame,lore,vet. So i cannot speak for how capable hybrid tamer templates are like discord tamer etc.

So to sum up, against the high end bosses you cant get next to your pets to vet them to keep them healed so you wouldnt be able to outheal their damage on your own. And even if you can keep your pet alive it will take forever to kill the boss due to the low damage output.

Tamers work awesome in groups at bosses, having 1 tamer there with dragon to tank boss its great for the team. A team of tamers all healing eachothers pets is capable of taking on almost anything. But if your looking to Solo the big big peerlesses with a tamer, im not sure its possible on your own.

Thats my experience anyway, dunno if someone else wants to chime in.

Edit: I have seen another class that has been used to solo bosses, I read a thread on it a few months back but i can't seem to find it again. It was a Parry Chiv Warrior type template.

Last edited:

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
thanks! I appreciate your well written response. Maybe next time on a group hunt, I'll bring my tamer out!

The Parry Chiv Warrior type thread is the "Pure Paladin." I made that build as well but without bushido, it's limited to monsters with slayer weaknesses.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I had no problem soloing a few champ spawns on my peace/disco/tamer running peace songs with my 3.4 turtle.
Takes much longer than my dexxers to finish the spawn, but I could do them without much of a hassle.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tamers can't solo peerless bosses or champ bosses, the life leech allows sampires to do that. Cant have that on Tamers. To solo strongest stuff possible for tamer you'll need a nice Greater Dragon or Turtle Dragon and buff it with the consume damage mastery.
That is incorrect. Before the masteries, I solo'ed all the Champ spawn bosses with my greater dragon. Neria took forever, but I did it. I've also solo'ed a few with Rune Beatle / Mare combo. I've also solo'ed Medusa on my tamer.

Edit: I have seen another class that has been used to solo bosses, I read a thread on it a few months back but i can't seem to find it again. It was a Parry Chiv Warrior type template.
Before Sampires, people soloed champ spawns using Necro Bards--- no one really talks about that (and they were never nerfed like the Sampire has been). They also tended to use an exploit on Bard skills. There are many templates that can solo spawns.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is incorrect. Before the masteries, I solo'ed all the Champ spawn bosses with my greater dragon. Neria took forever, but I did it. I've also solo'ed a few with Rune Beatle / Mare combo. I've also solo'ed Medusa on my tamer.

So what was you secret with semidar other than leaving your pet to the side and killing her with archery with an archer tamer i do not see any way for a tamer to take out semidar and that realy is not soloing her with a tamer

And i also think you might remember wrong about some champs maybe you was using 2 accs for rikktor and memphis because if you realy 1 acc solo these two you are not going to say neira take a long time these 2 (rikktor and memphis) you can solo but are on a total diffrent page of taking a long time with a tamer also abyssal inferno champ i could see as a problem for 1 acc tamer to solo

For a disco tamer
bara and neira you can solo with almost any of the better pet combinations reason i liked neira so much was because my hell hounds ruled her
Lord oaks is almost afk killing for a disco tamer with a gd (discorded lord oaks barly scratch a gd and without any dmg from you the gd kills him in 45 min)

I agree with escaflowne if you want to solo with tamers you need DISCO standard mage tamer it will be very hard to solo most of the bosses

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well i stand corrected if you have been able to solo them :) But yes as Herman says, were you running a non standard mage tamer template? I've tried in the past with pure tamer mage and failed or simply given up because its taking an unreasonable amount of time. Like i said in my original post, I cannot speak for the hybrid tamer templates like disco tamers, archer tamers etc :) But if you did solo them with a pure tamer mage then thats great, I guess i was using the wrong tactics or just lacked the patience hehe.

In my opinion the time factor also says to me wether its viable to do it. By this I mean would I want to spend 2 hours solo'ing one boss when i could do it 3 or 4 times in that time with a group of 2/3 people. Where as 40 mins to solo a boss like Exodus with an archer or something is more time viable for the loot.

Last edited:

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've enjoyed this thread immensely, and I've conducted the usual experiments in soloing things.

But the real issue for me is solo game play itself. No, I don't think it's bad or wrong or anything like that. And often, given the fact that most shards are in museum status now, solo game play is often not a choice.

No, the issue for me is that solo play excludes the top rewards in multiplayer online gaming - two emotions that can only exist with other people present: glory and shame. That's a mite extreme...it usually comes down to respect and embarrassment as risk/reward opposites. This is where our peak moments - the ones we'll remember until we pass - come from.

Solo game play is a bit like finding yourself in a passionate physical relationship with one ground rule: no one is allowed to achieve orgasm. :)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what was you secret with semidar other than leaving your pet to the side and killing her with archery with an archer tamer i do not see any way for a tamer to take out semidar and that realy is not soloing her with a tamer

And i also think you might remember wrong about some champs maybe you was using 2 accs for rikktor and memphis because if you realy 1 acc solo these two you are not going to say neira take a long time these 2 (rikktor and memphis) you can solo but are on a total diffrent page of taking a long time with a tamer also abyssal inferno champ i could see as a problem for 1 acc tamer to solo

For a disco tamer
bara and neira you can solo with almost any of the better pet combinations reason i liked neira so much was because my hell hounds ruled her
Lord oaks is almost afk killing for a disco tamer with a gd (discorded lord oaks barly scratch a gd and without any dmg from you the gd kills him in 45 min)

I agree with escaflowne if you want to solo with tamers you need DISCO standard mage tamer it will be very hard to solo most of the bosses
I don't remember anything special about Semidar---- other than wearing those orc shoes so she doesn't kill me for being male.

With Rikktor, you can stand out of range of his earth quake and heal your pet. Gift of Renewal helps.

I do stand corrected on one thing- I haven't tried the Lich or Abyssal spawns solo.

Memphis is the same- Attunement helps- Gift of Renewal and Gift of Life.

The template isn't anything that special- Tamer / Mage / Spellweaving.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have soloed Monstruous Interred Grizzle with my tamer and GD, I would never do that on my dexxer. I've also soloed Fezzik the Cook with my tamer.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not all spawns/peerless are worth soloing using a tamer.
Iv'e soloed rikkitor alot on my archer-tamer (using a CU) . I did it because its fun, clear speed is pretty decent also.
Rikkitor is pretty easy actually.. I mount my pet, and use an composite bow (dragon slayer) and with that i hit rikkitor for around 200++ pr AI (no chiv no honor, no nothing)