• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What can I solo Hunt with my peace/tamer ?

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HI

I just came back after almost 4 years and I'm a little lost regarding what to hunt for profit (money but mostly imbuing ingredients and arties).

My only functional fighting char is my tamer (the others are outdated, lost gear and/or skills that where stoned and went IDOC with the house) so I need to know what I can do specifically with her.
She's 120 tame/lore/vet/peace
115 music working to go 120
GM magery
100% LRC 10% LMC all 70 resists (75 energy) some HP/Stam/mana regen max FC/FCR
I was planing on giving her 20 focus to help with satmina regen
I have some nice slayer instruments and a crafter that can make GM exceptional instruments.

In my stables I have

4.4 Cu mostly trained (still have to work on resists and healing but he's getting there)
Hit Points: 590
Str/Dex/Int: 611 / 125 / 284
Resists: 64 / 42 / 83 / 50 / 81

4.4 GD
Hit Points: 975
Str/Dex/Int: 604 / 125 / 603
Resists: 85 / 89 / 44 / 55 / 61
Wrestling: 125.3
Tactics: 118.5
Resist: 108 (still raising a bit, maybe 110 fully trained ...)
Magery: 116.1
GM anatomy/Eval Int /Med

3.9 Nightamare
4.3 Rune Beetle (max poisoning),
3.9 Bake Kitsune
4.4 WW (max resists except cold only 88)
3.7 fire steed *2 (have 2 to make use of the pack instinct)

Where can I go and what can I solo hunt with them ?

At the moment I'm farming succubus and balrons with my Cu and balrons in ishlenar with my GD (paragons where too much for my Cu).
I also go to tel mur to get some slith tongues, bourra pelts and kill the void mobs.

I was thinking about dreadhorn (with peace passing the sands with my GD is possible even with some para changelings in the way), and some bosses or mini bosses in the abyss ....
If I remember well lady mel and travesty are not good ideas ?

Thanks for all the help and advices you can give me !

Jeza

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame is a good place to hunt. A 4.4 GD should do fine on everything in there, though things like the Unbound EV will take about 10-15 mins per kill.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok thanks, went to new shame a bit with my Cu but just the first level, will try deeper with the GD :)

And what about champ spawns ? Like vermin or arachnid... some alacrity scrolls or even better PS would be nice !

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it's a good analysis, and makes perfectly sens. So while looking for the uber dragon I certainly will check Str/HP and wrest tactics first.

Regarding what you said about hunting peerless and champ with your GD, if you could give me some pointers (like which ones, tactics what to be careful about that sort of thing) ? I did a post about it (one or two below this one) so maybe there as not to pollute this one :embarrassed:

My Tamer was a Weaver/mage that I would partner with a second account Disco/prov bard. Never worked with peacemaking much. Seemed to be a skill that did not support as well as I liked it, compared to the disco/provocation combo. She also had weaving. Beyond that, know what special attacks/area attacks the peerless/champ your doing uses and know how to counter them is the best advice I can give. Look into the bard masteries for additional support. Try running the champs in ilsh to get back into the swing of how the spawns work before you head to Fel and have the additional hassles of raiders to deal with. Work the honor virtue it helps in taming Greaters and in spawns, A well timed use can help by having everything chasing the raiders rather than you, so all you have to worry about is the raider.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And what about champ spawns ? Like vermin or arachnid... some alacrity scrolls or even better PS would be nice !
I often pop the vermin champ spawn in despsie fel solo with a greater dragon. My GD just runs off on a killing spree and i've never had an issue, it just heals itself. With the later levels with the spell shooting stuff you might want to be close in case it needs healing. It takes longer with a dragon and mage solo but it's easily possible. Just watch out for raids. I die to reds more than the spawn!

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to you both for the advice :)

It's true that peace/tamer may not be the best choice for a spawn. Peace is wonderful for taming but in a fight it has become quite useless now that most big bosses have so high barding level :/
It's still good for crowd control or for an emergency save (area peace/invis or recall), but in a champ spawn I'm afraid that there are too many mobs for me to manage at once.

Provocation is different because you provoke the weakest mob onto the other (barding level wise) so the strongest mob being almost unbardable isn't important. Still for a tamer it wouldn't be my first choice of barding skill as I already have a pet to send on my enemies. I may be wrong but i don't see it as the most useful...

Disco has the same problem than peace, but if you manage to disco even once the barding level decreases so it'll stay discorded longer than if a peacer manages a peace attempt. I may raise it and stone it and then exchange it for peace when needed.
Though having peace/disco would be even better, once discorded you can peace the mob to give your pet an even easier time.
The problem would be how to fit disco on a peace/tamer template, I don't see how I could manage without magery, and removing vet is not an option.

Also my template doesn't allow for eval int or med, so even though I have magery (GM) on my tamer, it's completely useless as damaging tool.
Djad, when you go to the champ spawn with your GD, you also help along with magery, right ? So if I wanted to try but without helping the GD alone may not be able to work the spawn enough to raise it's level to the top or am I wrong ?

I learned about the bard masteries and use the peace one, but without much mana regen (only what I have on my suit, no med/focus) I can't let them run much or I would lack mana to invis/cure/heal in an emergency.
I'll have to see about improving my gear to get more LMC/MR so I can make better use of the masteries.
When I got my actual suit the they didn't exists and for some casual casting (invis and some heal/cure reacall) I had enough with 10LMC and 4 MR. It's not the case anymore.

I had though about SW on my template also at it seems a great skill to have for a tamer.
I had though about stoning magery for SW, or even music/peace for SW/med and switch between those depending on the situation.
But on the shard I'm in I never see any arcane circle being done, and without a focus SW is pretty useless... or am I wrong ?
Otherwise I would certainly give it a try!

I had though also about exchanging music/peace for mysticism/focus and casting stone form, mass sleep, hail storm and nether cyclone (if the last one doesn't take a pet slot ?). But I heard that now hail storm damages your own pet making it a useless spell for a tamer.

In the meantime I'll go have a look in ishlenar to see how I do in a spawn and depending on how it goes, have a go at vermin spawn in fel. If I go during a week day in the morning or afternoon I shouldn't see any red there, we are not a crowded shard, that has it's uses also ;)

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I got nostalgia of old Despise and decided to go check the rat spawn there going by the main entrance for old times sake.
I had my ball of pet summoning linked with my GD in case it was safe, so I could work the spawn and hopefully defeat barracoon.

The place was empty, not even a slime or giant rat, nothing at all, I had to launch it myself, good thing my valor was already massed out!

And then I discovered that I don't have the tiniest idea of how people manage to work a spawn with a pet :confused:
When I went there in the past it was with a guild and as a dexxer, I though that with a GD my only problem would be to stay alive and be able to come close enough to heal (magic and/or vet)...
Well my biggest problem was that my wonderful GD didn't get any interest in killing anything there :rant2:
I tried the guard option, but I was attacked too much before my pet could kill everything and most mobs aggroed my GD and not me defeating the purpose of the guard order I gave.
I tried to just invis and let the spawn attack my GD hoping he would defend itself, but nothing ! Maybe 1 mob killed for 15 around my GD attacking him.

I had to painstakingly order him to "all kill" the mobs one by one, so of course in the process I was revealed and attacked. I survived because I never got passed the dire wolves/ratmen and could areapeace/heal when needed but that's not the way to go to work up the spawn !

I had to leave when my armor was about to break after maybe 30 or 45 min with just one side of the altar full of red candles and one 105 SW scroll in my bag....

Could someone please point me on what I did wrong ? What can I do for my pet to kill those damn vermin ? Is there something I can do to help along with 100 magery but no EI or Med and 120 music/peace ?

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to figure out a way to work through the lower end spawn more efficiently. In other templates, such as weaving /mage/tamer (essence of wind) or Necro /tamer (wither), there are spells that help you deal with the smaller spawn. You don't have eval on your template if I remember correctly, so EQ is both costly and too ineffective. Maybe someone else can chime in on a way for you to do area damage when everything is aggro'd on your pet. Weaving is best done with a lvl 6 focus and you can stone off weaving to get a 0 skill focus then stone it back after. This still requires the 5 people to show up for the focus. Watch chat and when people need one go and talk with the other weavers there. With wither you need SS and necro so that would mean changing your template a bit more than I think you want to. Provocation and discord are also relatively useless in working up the spawn but both are handy in taking out the boss. it may just be that your out of practice and do a few more to get comfortable with handling your pet with your current skills in place.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your suggestions Uthar.

I'm afraid you nailed it : this template is quite useless in a champ spawn. I'll have to think about something else.
SW would be nice but honestly I never see any arcane circle going on on my shard, it's quite empty unfortunately. The best I could do is 2 using my 2 accounts but I don't think it's very useful at such a low level.

I may just use my mage there, at the moment she's a scribe mage but I stoned inscription and am trying to raise mysticism.
For now I was thinking about using her as she is (with inscription) just for the lower levels of spawn and then quickly logout/login with my tamer to finish it.

If I manage to get a 120 ps in mysticism and focus I'm sure that with RC and earthquake she could even manage to finish by herself.

I could also try to get an eval int PS for my tamer. I have GM med stoned already so I could use the eval int from my mage and my stoned med instead of music/peace on my tamer just for that kind of situations.

Anyway I still don't understand why the GD didn't kill stuff by himself. Even when attacked he didn't defend himself, just stood there taking damage...
Lol I wish he would have done the same when I tamed it !:p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was a change a while ago to how taming commands work. All follow me will make the pet follow you, regardless of what attacks it - handy for getting through spawn to where you want to be, but you'll need to use another command to release the pet from that mindless obedience once you get there. All stop, all kill or guard me will do fine.
I'm a bit of a coward, so my peace tamer doesn't really do anything nastier than para balron or Miasma - I have just enough chiv between real and jewels to remove curse if Miasma mortals.
I think I could probably do Navrey, if I ever worked up the courage to try. I've done it just once with a friend. Tangle sells well, if I could actually get them.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra thanks !!! That's what I couldn't figure out :D

I'll go have another try next week (won't risk it on a week-end in case I come across reds, I'm a HUGE coward myself :p Hey that's why a made a PEACE tamer ;))
I'll try without changing anything on my template and if it doesn't help I'll think again about the other ideas I've got.

I'll also try some easy champ spawns on the abyss and the tomb of kings in tel mur, I'm in need of a lot of imbuing ingredients.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most of the mini champs are doable - though I find those easier with my bard/mage.
hehe you can tell how brilliant a player I am by my char names. My warrior is my first character, and the name I use here, petrified and my mage is cursed and feeble - aka Kirsten Pheable.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's probably worth trying with safer spawns and a cu which can heal itself a bit until you get used to the whole hunting thing :) Pet handling and vetting do take a bit of practice.

First advice I'd give you is always keep your pet between you and the spawn. Second, don't ever get yourself surrounded unless you can cope with all that spawn. I always leave a clear side so I can back off with my pet if we start struggling. Also this allows you to place yourself safely behind your pet while still close to vet. I try to keep myself centred to the pet on that safe side, then watch for new spawn. When something pops up it'll take a second before it locks onto a target, so you have that second to move to the side if necessary and ensure it goes onto your pet.

Third thing, don't take on more spawn unless you're able to handle less of it. Obvious but if you're fresh back it's wise to be overly cautions and start with easy stuff until the tactics of pet handling and vetting are easy.

Which brings me to the next thing - make sure you have pet macros for everything you need. I use [petname] [command] type commands rather than all follow me etc. I have macros for those, but the name ones are essential if you have multiple pets or you're round the corner of a wall commanding your pet. They seem to "hear" commands better if it involves their name. But the aim is to be able to give your pet any command at the strike of a makro. Typing is a killer ;)

The other macros you'll want are ones for vetting, casting heals and invising yourself as well as peace last target, kill last target etc too - basically if you find yourself doing something like peace - all kill regularly, macro it.

After that it's a case of practice and finding your own tactics. You'll probably find a fair few threads here that have more advice too, but if you're stuck with anything you know to ask us!

Wenchy

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One last thing regarding Weaving, I believe all shards are set up now so the circle at brit bank give a bonus level focus, meaning with just your accounts you would end up with a lvl 3 focus and that would not be to bad to run around with. And again every time you go give a shout in chat you may be surprised at how many show.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks again to all of you for your help and support !

I'm looking around on the tamer forum for some examples of strategy/template on champ spawn hunting and it's very educational. Added to your advices and tips I think I'll be doing much better in the futur.

I had already some macros but I'll be adding some with "petname" + order, I just hadn't though about this one.

I'm also finishing the training on my pets, like bake, nightmare, rune and WW. I will not bring a combo in a hot situation at the moment because as you said I'm a little clumsy with fighting with 2 pets, but as soon as I feel able I certainly will enjoy having more options.
A bake or nightmare/rune beetle combo can dish more damage than a GD on most mobs, I could verify that with the swoop 2 days ago. My 4.4 fully trained GD tanking the swoop did less total damage than my old nighmare/rune not totally trained (I had my tamer in training on my secondary account bring them out for additional damage). And that's on top of the GD already having done some 150 HP damage before the mare/rune began to fight !

As for the mini champs I'm not planing to finish those meaning spawning and killing the renowed boss, if I manage it : all the better! But if it feels too hard I'll just leave (I love area peace :D) just want to gather enough ingredients for my imbuer while getting used to work a spawn.

Finally I learned yesterday that there is a way in my shard to have a 4 or 5 arcane circle in WBB, you were right Uthar :)
So I'll raise SW on my mage and find a 120 scroll for my tamer so they can both use it when need be.

I also noticed that I have a mage weapon, a nice -0 mage weapon in fact, nice to have on a Tamer/bard with GM magery :D

Last edited: