• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Ninjitsu] What can be cast while in animal form?

S

Sho Hashi

I have a ninja archer with no healing and I am considering adding an auxiliary skill (chiv, spellweaving, magery, bushido, necro). As I run in dog form most of the time, I'm wondering whether there is anything I can add that I can actually use. It seems like most spells/actions are not allowed when in animal form.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is a useful auxiliary skill to add?

C

Cloak&Dagger

Only thing you can cast that I can think of off hand is Mirror Image and shadow jump.

It might be possible that some of the Bushido Stances are castable, but I am not fully sure about this so hopefully someone else will be able to tell you.

S

Sho Hashi

Okay, I went on test and found that you cannot cast anything from bushido, chiv, necro, or mage while in animal form. I couldn't test spellweaving because I couldn't figure out how to get the skill without doing the quest, but I suspect it is no different.

Personally, I think they should change this. You basically can't cast anything while in animal form. I've never had the necro skill, but it seems like they can cast all necro spells when in whatever form--why not for ninja? You can't even use your weapon specials.

T

Turdnugget

Being able to cast stuff in animal form could seriously gimp templates...

Imagine a mage sitting in dog form w/HPR items fighting someone... trying to kill them could be near impossible... better yet, a bush/parry chr in dog form =/ Take luck w/that one.

You can't use weapon specials in animal form either, which I think is a good thing. Getting chased down by someone in wolf form (hci bonus as well) would not be fun... especially after they have you dismounted, and they can get into form, and use specials...and have 150+ hps.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you can shoot arrows in Squirrel form!
Maybe that's not what you wanted to hear, but...

S

Sho Hashi

Anyone know if you can cast defensive spells and then animal form? Will the defensive spells end when you go into animal form?

I'm kind of interested in how hard it would be to kill a ninja in dog form with max HP regen on armor and max gift of renewal. It seems like you could have an HP regen total of >100. Anyone tried this?

Maybe I'll have to try it out on test.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Anyone know if you can cast defensive spells and then animal form? Will the defensive spells end when you go into animal form?

I'm kind of interested in how hard it would be to kill a ninja in dog form with max HP regen on armor and max gift of renewal. It seems like you could have an HP regen total of >100. Anyone tried this?

Maybe I'll have to try it out on test.
You can not cast anything in animal form other than mirror image and shadow jump (as I said earlier :p) but nothing gets removed when you enter animal form, so you could cast before animal form and then cast animal form and still have them...but the spells do not last very long, so I dunno if it would be worth it. I am not sure how you are getting 100+ HPR tho...

40 from 120 ninja, 2 from tali, 2 from crimson, (1? from cloak?) thats 45, then you have 10 from bracelet, 5 from ring, and 2 from each other piece would be another 12 so you have 72?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think he's counting gift of renewal as HPR, the description of the spell does make it sound like that.

O

Old Man of UO

Cloak‡1313677 said:
...40 from 120 ninja, 2 from tali, 2 from crimson, (1? from cloak?) thats 45, then you have 10 from bracelet, 5 from ring, and 2 from each other piece would be another 12 so you have 72?
Is there a max HPR from armor? I have a fully medable +24 HPR suit bloodwood suit that I got from enhancing +2 HPR found armor. And I have wood shields with +2 HPR (can you wear a shield in animal form?). But that would only take it to 86 HPR total.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From uoherald.com:
Hit Point Regeneration - Increases the wearer's natural Hit Point regeneration rate.
Capped at 18.

Gift of renewal doesn't work like normal regeneration, but instead actually heals 16 points of damage every 2 seconds (120 weaving, level 6 focus). I'm not sure how much HPR that would be equivalent to.

S

Sho Hashi

16 points/2 sec = 8 HPR. I think armor and jewels are capped at 25 total. I'm pretty sure dog form is 40 at 120 ninja, so I guess the max would be 73 HPR or 7.3 hp/sec regeneration.

I'm at 93 ninja and have about 15 HPR on my armor/jewels and already lethal poison doesn't do anything to me (other than the stamina drain, which I am working on). I think 73 HPR + 45 DCI + mirror images would make it really hard to kill you. If you could add GM parry and Bushido, it would take some serious work to kill you. Of course, that doesn't leave any room for hiding and stealth.

C

Cloak&Dagger

From uoherald.com:
Hit Point Regeneration - Increases the wearer's natural Hit Point regeneration rate.
Capped at 18.

Gift of renewal doesn't work like normal regeneration, but instead actually heals 16 points of damage every 2 seconds (120 weaving, level 6 focus). I'm not sure how much HPR that would be equivalent to.
Oh yea I didn't even think about the cap when I posted the last time...so you would be able to get 40+18 = 58....and then +GoR which is 8, so....66..... Actually Gift of Renewal can not be 8 since HPR is not = Hit points per second.... cuase honestly, at 66 you would be unkillable, just add healing/anat and pots.....and you get 66 hit points per second + healing (depending on dex and skill, but lets say 10 hit points per second) plus pots which is another....3 hit points per second? so someone would have to do more than 79 hit points per second to kill you....that means 3 dexers would have to hit you at the same time...and that would only be barely more than your regen rate. So yea hpr != hit points per second.

C

CroMag1980

I think they should change this. You basically can't cast anything while in animal form.
You need opposable thumbs for most of that stuff and wep specials. I think the best a wolf could do is carry a crossbow in its mouth, I doubt it could fire it (I checked youtube to be sure no vids of dogs firing crossbows) so it's lucky we can even do that (in animal form at the moment, and chug and throw shurikens I think - not sure about the last one).

S

Sho Hashi

Yeah, I think I miscalculated. Doesn't HPR/10 = hp/sec? So 8 HP/sec would acutally be 80 HPR. Also, I don't think the 18 cap applies to HPR bonuses from artifacts, which I think have a total cap (with regular items) of 25. So, I guess if you get 8 HP/sec from GoR and 6.5 from dog form/armor, you are talking about an effective HPR of 145. Of course, your GoR bonus goes away after 1-5 minutes or after you get poisoned.

The point about opposable thumbs is well taken, although we are talking about a game where you can turn into a dog.