• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What are you willing to give up to get more players on the shard?

Would you say yes to changes Siege to a PvP shard?

• Total voters

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I think we all agree, that differences set Siege apart, which is the reason in the first place (next to good comunity) why players from other shards might try our shard.
See, I would say we have a good community because of the ruleset. We have much more freedom in our interaction, and much more limitation do doing it all by yourself. That's the kind of stuff that friends, enemies, communities get built around. That's why I'm against making siege less siege.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always wonder why the general tone of improving Siege is "What are we willing to give up." If you make enough compromises sooner or later you have nothing left to compromise :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I always wonder why the general tone of improving Siege is "What are we willing to give up." If you make enough compromises sooner or later you have nothing left to compromise :)
But I think we need to ask:

Do one char slot help the shard?
Do no recall, not even with a delay help the shard?
Do 3 x prices help the shard?
Do the vendor fee help the shard?
Do NPC's won't train your skills help the shard?
Do no Fel bonus help the shard?
Do no Item Insurance help the shard?
Do vendors won't buy/sell help the shard?

I only want to keep the last 2, the rest, I believe should go. More chars, recall with delay, normal shards prices, NPC's training newbies, less vendor fee and 2x resources, more fame and more luck will all help Siege IMO
Some will say, Add Item Insurance too but I really fear the effect of that.

Mr. Jamison

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Takes next to no time to train skills from 0 to the vendor trained 35-40. Won't make much of a difference. The rest of it make siege.... well siege.

Stryder-SP

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Remove the one character per account restriction and change skill gain to be a different type of ROT..

Skill gain stays the same till 70

At 70 skill gain slows a bit till 80

And as it skills goes up by 10 slow it even further

This allows alacrity scrolls to work better for melee skill training, which is what the majority of players play.

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about everyone stop complaining and trying to change Siege. Most all of these things people talk about changing, existed since the beginning, they didn't cause people to leave.

If you REALLY want to put an effort into bringing the shard back, ICQ/Message an old pal who hasn't logged in in awhile. Put on an event or do something they would enjoy and be like "Hey, I know you haven't been on UO in awhile, but we are doing this really fun ______ activity that you would probably like. You should come just play for an hour or two and check it out". Then maybe they realize they missed UO a bit and will login in more.

A lot of people haven't even left, their houses still stand. Get them to login and you get a nice population boost. Then they bring back their old friends and maybe some who even left the game completely.

I guess it is sort of ironic that I am complaining about all the complainers, but whatever. Play the game please and quit the non-stop change Siege threads.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess it is sort of ironic that I am complaining about all the complainers, but whatever. Play the game please and quit the non-stop change Siege threads.
Complaining about complainers I can relate to. People *Pancaking* :rolleyes: endlessly about the 461,917,842 bugs in UO, everything the Devs have ever done, etc etc, has gotten old.

If Changing Siege threads bother you, just ignore them. There are a dozen or so players who enjoy them, let them have their fun.

I find the less I read in these forums, the more I play the game.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about everyone stop complaining and trying to change Siege. Most all of these things people talk about changing, existed since the beginning, they didn't cause people to leave.

If you REALLY want to put an effort into bringing the shard back, ICQ/Message an old pal who hasn't logged in in awhile. Put on an event or do something they would enjoy and be like "Hey, I know you haven't been on UO in awhile, but we are doing this really fun ______ activity that you would probably like. You should come just play for an hour or two and check it out". Then maybe they realize they missed UO a bit and will login in more.

A lot of people haven't even left, their houses still stand. Get them to login and you get a nice population boost. Then they bring back their old friends and maybe some who even left the game completely.

This is my people shooting hat. I shoot people in this hat.

sorry... I always want to reply this to you. :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Complaining about complainers I can relate to. People *Pancaking* :rolleyes: endlessly about the 461,917,842 bugs in UO, everything the Devs have ever done, etc etc, has gotten old.

If Changing Siege threads bother you, just ignore them. There are a dozen or so players who enjoy them, let them have their fun.

I find the less I read in these forums, the more I play the game.
Is "Pancaking" a dance? Like the "Mashed Potatoe"? Please teach us.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

I only want to keep the last 2, the rest, I believe should go. More chars, recall with delay, normal shards prices, NPC's training newbies, less vendor fee and 2x resources, more fame and more luck will all help Siege IMO
Some will say, Add Item Insurance too but I really fear the effect of that.
I just dont think any of those things will bring players to Siege. Instead of keeping Siege different and unique the devs have continued to dump the same content to Siege as prodo. In all honesty not even item insurance would raise the population, because like Kelmo says "there is item insurance on other shards, go there." People would have more reasons to NOT come here, if Siege had all those things like prodo. They could have been restricting the content on Siege. Imagine if you could just grab 50 of each reg, a few pots, a gm leather suit, and go out pvp'ing. Thats the way the most popular free to play server is, and its awesome minus the fact that it full of people playing with mod'ed clients, and it would be really fun if not for that. Lets face it most shards are ghosts towns now, and I find myself caring less and less to log in and play. If they were to create a new Pre AOS shard with Siege ruleset I guarantee I would be a full blown UO addict again. To bad they have already stated they lack the ability to code something like that, but I think it would make them a lot of money in subscriptions. So please lets stop debating on things to give up on Siege it really is a waste of time.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Some will say, Add Item Insurance too but I really fear the effect of that.[/QUOTE

Two characters would be reasonable, recall/SJ I can see with a long delay, I have heard that coding that specific to Siege would be next to impossible though. 3x prices I don't care about one way or another. I started training up a toon on a house account the other day. Took almost no time to hit 50 skills. The no fel bonus on Siege both annoys and makes me happy, on one hand double resources would be great and on the other hand that could devalue resources. NEVER insurance at most a second bless. NEVER let vendors buy. Here is why, I needed a fast million on legends the other day. I pulled out my pile of shadow iron and made heater shields for a couple of hours, hopped around from blacksmith shop to black smith shop selling them for 670-850 gold each. Granted I have mountains of ignots from years of mining to work with but the damage a influx of gold like that would do to the Siege economy would not be good. Even something as simple as farming arrows from cenataurs every 5000 arrows is worth 150,000 gold when NPC sold. Does not take long to farm 5000 arrows from the Cen's.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love pvp in some games for the exact reasons Absolute gave. Skill based pvp vs item based pvp I will take skill based any day. When you have to drop millions to hundreds of millions on gear to be competitive in item based pvp..... Well I will be a crafter and resource farmer :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is "Pancaking" a dance? Like the "Mashed Potatoe"? Please teach us.
I got really ticked off at all the complaining and made a post that wound up in the 'Derragatory' or however they misspelled it forum and the B word describing complaining got switched to 'Pancakes' which I found entertaining. I'm easily amused sometimes. :)

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pre AOS shards
one char
no transfers
no SS
fel rule set in all facet

this whole post is starting to make me sick. i cant even comment on this any more. can a moderator please lock this thead? i think enough has been said in this post to run its course. certain people in here keep rezing this post after a few days of noone posting and its getn real old. there is nothing positive about anyone else posting in here. just shut it down. it honestly makes me want to just sell all my stuff and quit......and i really mean that

Mr. Jamison

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
pre AOS shards
one char
no transfers
no SS

this whole post is starting to make me sick. i cant even comment on this any more. can a moderator please lock this thead? i think enough has been said in this post to run its course. certain people in here keep rezing this post after a few days of noone posting and its getn real old. there is nothing positive about anyone else posting in here. just shut it down. it honestly makes me want to just sell all my stuff and quit......and i really mean that
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pre AOS shards
one char
no transfers
no SS

Save yourself from this horrible stress, take the easy way out by clicking 'Unwatch Thread' above the first post above, and your suffering will end. ;)

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
pre AOS shards
one char
no transfers
no SS

this whole post is starting to make me sick. i think enough has been said in this post to run its course. certain people in here keep rezing this post after a few days of noone posting and its getn real old.
bump

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If we just could find something we all can agree, that will help the shard get more players, we could get a few changes.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we just could find something we all can agree, that will help the shard get more players, we could get a few changes.
There is no change that is going to get the shard a noticeable amount of new players. You need to just accept it and take Siege for what it is.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
There is no change that is going to get the shard a noticeable amount of new players. You need to just accept it and take Siege for what it is.
That's your opinion, I sure not share it :p

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think if they would start adding stuff to Siege that was really unique it would draw more people here. I dont think it would be the numbers Freja is looking to get, but it would be some. I thought the good vs evil thing was something like that. I know it had its flaws, but its stuff like that we need, something thats just on Siege, but its been so long since they did any thing like that. I would be shocked if they made any kind of change just for Siege.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
To me, there are 4 thing that make it Siege
- PvP on all facets
- VvV on all facets
- No Item Insurance and only few blessed items
- NPC vendors do not buy your wares and do not sell rersources

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if they would start adding stuff to Siege that was really unique it would draw more people here. I dont think it would be the numbers Freja is looking to get, but it would be some. I thought the good vs evil thing was something like that. I know it had its flaws, but its stuff like that we need, something thats just on Siege, but its been so long since they did any thing like that. I would be shocked if they made any kind of change just for Siege.
Hey, I would love it if we got some love from the dev's be we all know that will never happen. The most we will get is a tack on to separate publish that changes one small thing that requires little to no work to implement. We are living in a UO development reality where Time of Legends takes the better part of a year. So...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To me, there are 4 thing that make it Siege
- PvP on all facets
- VvV on all facets
- No Item Insurance and only few blessed items
- NPC vendors do not buy your wares and do not sell rersources
And do you really think that any changes outside of those elements would draw any noticeable number of players away from prodo shards and TO siege? Vendor price changes? Adding in some form of recall? Do you honestly think these are the things keeping people off the shard in any kind of reasonable numbers? I mean the housing change, which was one of those major things that kept getting brought up over the years did pretty much nothing to the population size (obviously or we wouldn't still be having these sos threads) and left the world littered with undesigned unused "placed because I can" houses permanently blocking spaces.

I'm not even against some of these changes, but the whole notion that we need to try and get a lot of changes made to draw in new players is just wrongheaded.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Well, I think you are being terribly naive, but best of luck.
I don't believe the defination of Naive fit me.

"Generally speaking, to be naive means you do not think enough. People who are "naive" tend to believe in whatever they are told, without questioning whether it is right or wrong. As for age, it can be anywhere from 1-100. Anyone who has not lived through and seen enough of this world is generally referred to as naive."

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe the defination of Naive fit me.

"Generally speaking, to be naive means you do not think enough. People who are "naive" tend to believe in whatever they are told, without questioning whether it is right or wrong. As for age, it can be anywhere from 1-100. Anyone who has not lived through and seen enough of this world is generally referred to as naive."
It can just mean being unaffected, and having a lack of wisdom or judgement, which was the meaning I intended and, to me, considering the realities of the game as a whole (let alone siege) in its current condition, it's an apropos description of these kinds of posts.

I mean you do what you do, man, and feel free to label me a cynic, but I see no point in these perennially fruitless crusades of yours.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe, I'm just an optimist :p

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion, there is really nothing that can be done to increase Siege's popularity at this point in the games life cycle other than turning it into a 100% normal shard, which still might not even help. Siege actually has an equal amount of players as 5-10 other shards.

I am from Atlantic. I see it like this, what does Siege offer me that Atlantic doesn't? Nothing really, I can hunt the same bosses, collect the same items, and pvp with people the same way I do already. What are the potential negatives Siege will cause? I might get killed more, I might lose stuff more, I will see less people, I will only get to use one character.

There is really nothing on Siege that would make me (and most people on Atlantic) want to move here, except maybe just to be a part of the community and make new friends or something like that, but the same could be said for any other shard as well.

Feanaro

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
In my opinion, there is really nothing that can be done to increase Siege's popularity at this point in the games life cycle other than turning it into a 100% normal shard, which still might not even help. Siege actually has an equal amount of players as 5-10 other shards.

I am from Atlantic. I see it like this, what does Siege offer me that Atlantic doesn't? Nothing really, I can hunt the same bosses, collect the same items, and pvp with people the same way I do already. What are the potential negatives Siege will cause? I might get killed more, I might lose stuff more, I will see less people, I will only get to use one character.

There is really nothing on Siege that would make me (and most people on Atlantic) want to move here, except maybe just to be a part of the community and make new friends or something like that, but the same could be said for any other shard as well.
When I came back from a long break from UO I started back on Atlantic. What I saw was a bunch of scripters, people bank sitting 23/7, items costing in the billions, books laying on the ground with sites selling duped gold. It was not the UO I remembered and loved to play. On the way out I gave Siege a shot. Things just mean more here. It was hard starting with nothing here, but it was the only thing as close to the old UO I used to play. I think a lot of people feel that way here, and they dont want to let go of that. Yea, you could potentially get killed more here, you might see less people, you might lose your stuff, but the game will mean more to you here. Creating more fun than I ever did playing Prodo.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think you may be underselling the positive differences, but they only really shine when the population is a bit more stable. To me it feels much more like you are a part of something.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I came back from a long break from UO I started back on Atlantic. What I saw was a bunch of scripters, people bank sitting 23/7, items costing in the billions, books laying on the ground with sites selling duped gold. It was not the UO I remembered and loved to play. On the way out I gave Siege a shot. Things just mean more here. It was hard starting with nothing here, but it was the only thing as close to the old UO I used to play. I think a lot of people feel that way here, and they dont want to let go of that. Yea, you could potentially get killed more here, you might see less people, you might lose your stuff, but the game will mean more to you here. Creating more fun than I ever did playing Prodo.
Amen

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If players want, what normal shards already have, you right, they won't play on Siege. Now it's not this players we try to get

Siege do have:
PvP on all facets
VvV on all facets
No Item Insurance. If you act a way, so the community despise you, it will effect you and make it much harder for you to make it on Siege.
A community, that is not splitted in Fel and Trammel, all live nicely together, red PK's side by non PvP crafters, PvM'ers, shop owners and respect each others.
NPC vendors won't sell you resources and won't buy your wares, that keep our economy healthy, as it add less gold to the game and help trading between players
A way more healthy economy
A healthy community
If you loved UO back in 1997-1999 including the risk for getting killed and looted everywhere, Siege may be the place for you.
Yes Siege have a few problems, to high vendor fee, only one char slot, limit to traveling but I do not see the risk for getting killed as a negative, more like a spicy add to Siege.

We really don't want players who only come for our good community but want the ruleset to be like on Prodo. Our ruleset do help building a healthy community. Respect is earned here.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lower vendor Fees would be nice :) I just put my Moonglow Cotton field vendor back up and stocked it with some stuff, nothing high end or really expensive and it cost 8,000+ gold per day. 2 characters per account would be nice and I am not seeing where that would be game breaking, the average player ain't going to drop $100-$500 per account on soul stones and from what I gather most folks have 1-3 accounts. I believe boredom with 1 toon sets in after that toon is fully developed and in order to expand that account you are faced with buying 7-8 stones and then having the wrong set of stats on your one toon to develop other skills. IE. Mage stats are very different than dex stats. So even with a house full of stones the one toon is limited. There should be something in place for housing, if you have a prodo house and a siege house one should be primary and the second need visited and refreshed atleast every 90 days. Was listening to a couple of folks talk about Siege on Atl. the other day and how one had placed a 18x18 on Siege the first couple weeks of the second house deal but could not even remember where it was and had not logged in to Siege since then and had no plans to log in the future. Siege to the first time visitor seems empty and desolate but it is far more active than many of the prodo shards. There is more right about Siege than there is wrong something they can't claim on the Candy Land shards.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd really love a few spawns of "gemstone elementals" that are moderately hard to kill, and drop like 20-60 gems of their type, a spot or two for one of each gem type. I think that would be a big help, and keeping with the siege ethos.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great idea Uvtha! Farming ants and earth els for 1-4 gems each gets to be a real grind and it never fails you end up with piles of every gem except the ones you need.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd really love a few spawns of "gemstone elementals" that are moderately hard to kill, and drop like 20-60 gems of their type, a spot or two for one of each gem type. I think that would be a big help, and keeping with the siege ethos.
that'd be nice!
crystal elementals in malas are rather easy to kill and carry 8 or 12 gems each...but still a medium difficulty elemental with stacks of 60 would be awesome!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
that'd be nice!
crystal elementals in malas are rather easy to kill and carry 8 or 12 gems each...but still a medium difficulty elemental with stacks of 60 would be awesome!
I would like to see more useful spawn, both in Malas and Britainia. In old days, young players and crafters was hunting in the woods of Britainia.
I miss old brigand and orc spawn, there was also gazers in the forest in old days.

I would like to see this headless miners and bats out of Covetuos and moved to our many mining caves, a miner should be strong enough to handle them.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot about the crystal els they drop fairly fast to EVs but there is still the random problem. Very frustrating to need a couple hundred of one gem type and farms up a couple hundred amber when you need star saphires. I would like to see gem types linked to ore types when mining for example If mining a plain Iron ore spot you pull one gem type and Valorite you pull another gem type. Still random but atleast you could get on a run of mining the right gems. Something else would be make gem elementals and connect them to the gargoyle pick axes and give the gem else the same basic difficulties as the ore ele's. One thing I do like about prodo is gems are easy to get and cheap just go to the jeweler and buy 500 at a time. Very frustrating to have to stop imbuing and go mine or hunt to farm up enough gems for another 30-40 failed attempts.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You shouldn't have to give up or change anything to make people play your server. The people who play it, play it for what it is and that's generally what they enjoy. To change it wouldn't simply be to make it more or less difficult to play and thus more appealing, it would make it more like the other servers. Then you have to take into consideration that of all the other servers, 80% of them are near or damn near dead and players have consolidated to more populated servers, most players have even sacrificed their latency to play on more populated servers, or even kick out an extra 5$ a month for a Gaming VPN subscription like Battleping, lowerping or WTFast just so that their gameplay experience on such populated servers is as it would be on their home server (aka, west coast players moving to servers like LS and Atl, and vice versa).

Personally I don't foresee any "changes" that would really interest most players enough to want to basically restart and play completely differently than they are accustomed to already. There are so many servers out there, some long dead and some active to this day, that their residents have done so much in an attempt to diversify their server from the rest of the other servers, and Siege as it is now has that easily, it is if nothing else, a special little snowflake of UO. It is what it is, and for that you all play it. The server as I understand it is supposed to be a challenge to survive on, and there is an approach players have to take which is unlike normal servers that allows them to do so.