• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wenchy's Jewelry issue

G

I have decided to start a different thread about this issue. I find her comments curious and I wanted to hear others opinions without hijacking the thread.

Sorry Wenchy I don't mean to put you on the spot.....but in another thread you made this comment:

<blockquote><hr>

Going the right way, but I think there should have been a serious nuking of the myriad of +taming / +lore items. Really, in all honesty those skills should never have landed on any items in the first place, nevermind the 4 equipment slots. Oh well. I guess if the tamer issues continue, it might get addressed later

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it is my understanding that all skills that can be trained over 100 can have Skill based Jewelry/items. Only skills that are capped at GM (100) are missing from the item based skill gains. ( ie marks, talismen, jewels, weapons, etc)

So why is it (to Wenchy specifically and anyone else) that you feel taming skills should be removed from that group? Is it just taming skills you feel should be removed? Do you think Vetting is different or should it also be removed from that group?

Let the discussion begin

TW

S

SmithyPAC

Oooo I think someone wants to see just how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop......I mean how many posts before.....

anyway,

You question is going to probably divide people along lines of how they believe the game is meant to be played.

Using jewlery with skill bonuses on it means you made a choice, and that "slot" that the skill took up on the jewlery is not available for another property that could have helped you.

Some people will talk about twink vs "real" tamers. I don't think that has as much to do with skill jewlery as it does with play style and outlook in general.

For the record I have several tamers, all at 110 taming (although one uses a braclet that has 99 luck 15 DCI 10 Taming and a couple other properties to bring his Taming up to 115, 120 if I every get a scroll).

It is my opinion that if you are going to get bent out of shape over someone else using a braclet to gain 5 extra points of Taming because you feel that it in some way devalues your character then I believe you are stressing far too much over a game.

Some may say well it's not just 5 points we are talking about, someone could start new, buy a promotional token and add items that they paid for in real $$$ (2 peices of jewlery, totem and Mark of Travesty with Taming &amp; Lore on it, throw in a few 120 scrolls) and presto they are a maxed out Tamer.

Do I believe this makes thems them better than me?

No

They spent $$$ not time learning the skill, if they catch on quick well good for them.

They have alot of items tied up in getting them in game skills. Does this make their equipement better than mine? Not from my point of view.

I am not concerned that someone didn't have to put the time into GMing (or better) a skill that I had to in order to enjoy a game. I GMed two tamers before Power Hour or any other such things (I have been around since January 98).

Hmm, to sum it up, if they want to use jewlery let them, everyone should be trying to have fun not telling everybody else how it should be done, as always in my opinion.

G

Oki, here goes another Wenchy essay lol.. been more long-winded than usual lately lol.

1) If I want the maximum damage from say my sammy, he has to get the armour and kit right and train all his skills. He doesn't want silly skill boost items clogging up slots, because it is still better for him to have real skill and damage/resist boost items, than cripple himself with some twinking.

The tamer's weapon is his or her pet. He/she can use whatever items suit the template because those pets will still do the same damage. Unless the tamer is a careless pet handler, the pets get stronger while the tamer makes no investment of time or energy furthering their skills. And why should they? It's more fun to hunt than train, so they hunt. I find I see more twinks than I do the real skill tamers, even when I'm taming cu sidhe. So I think I'm right in presuming most tamers are using some form of skill boost in their templates.

2) It takes at most a week's training or an instant advanced char to have 85 taming. You get control of kitsune, which for a new char are superb pets. I really don't think it's a hardship for a new tamer if they had to train the rest of the way manually. I'm doing exactly that with 1 tamer, she boosts to tame cus for taming gains, but hunts untwinked with kits in the meantime.

3) The 4 slots thing has annoyed me as it's built up. More so seeing tamer after tamer with a certain talisman, with jewels and a pet that still dun listen :p If you're limited to say +10 in tame and lore, that's not a huge lift. I don't mind that so much, because there's still need to train for the top level benefits. But currently it's 45 in each skill maximum, which I feel is insane. Day old leggy tamers, I dunno, why did I spend all those hours instead of $20?
Training is pointless. You feel kinda dumb training when you know you dun have to.

4) Spellweaving can go to 120 but hasn't got jewels, so I'm not sure if all skills that get to 120 have jewels or not. I don't mind vet jewels, because they don't affect the control chance and ownership issues.

5) I know I've been called elitist in the past for believing a tamer should work for their pets, but that's my whole view on life period. I think it's harmful to just dish out goodies willy-nilly. If you want something, work for it. Whether it's money, a bigger house or the right to be followed by a WW. The harder I've worked the more satisfaction I got, even if at the time I hated it :p

I worked my butt off to tame a dragon, then the mare and WW and so on. Getting those pets was the reason I trained, then trained to get the next one. I loved those milestones and I think they're lacking for new tamers. I find I'm different training younger tamers than my first one, not just because I've already done it. I know they don't have to train, so I get lazy lol.

6) I would like to see a wee tweak so folk could gain taming a bit faster, which to me would make sense if some twink items were pulled or say bonding required real skill at the appropriate level. I'm not all evil

7) Nearly forgot... I'm tired of tamer hate because of certain twinks, gimps and muppets, who wouldn't all be removed if they couldn't twink, but they'd be rare enough that we might actually be liked by other classes. I don't think I've spent a day as a tamer when "bloody tamers" hasn't been on someone's lips. When you're a nice tamer you don't want to be bitched at for years purely because of your profession's twinks and cheats.

Wenchy

G

Awww Microelf...why did you delete it.....If you have the courage to post an opinion, have the courage to stand behind it.

Sticks and stones won't break my bones.....

I asked because I assumed Wenchy, and others had opinions and perspectives I hadn't considered....beyond the "well this is taming and it is special perspective".

G

just not in the mood for a long winded exchange of why and why not and babble babble...

besides its sunday... tis my one day a week I try to be nice...

G

Thanks for the replies so far.

I hadn't thought of Spell weaving Wenchy I believe you are right about it.

I guess I wonder if it is really the skill gain items that matter or the player attitudes you seem to associate with those items. Surely you aren't expressing that simply by someone else putting on skill items they affect your ability to play or enjoy the game. Their attitudes I can understand could affect you...but not if or if not they wear skill gain jewels.

Actually what I find most surprising is no one requires the "Anti skill gain" crowd to use the items! They are free not to gain their skills with the use of those items, however a large amount still do and say it is just to increase their gains.

I don't believe a word of that, I believe it is so they can tame animals they want to tame and still get gains. This way they avoid agressives, or taming something boring. Everyone perfers to get their gains taming something they might actual keep, they can farm for the perfect pet and still get gains.

I find it intersting that a while back we debated expanded stable slots. When I took a hard line view on this, many people asked me... how would their having more stable slots effect my enjoyment of a game.

So I put to you, how does me having close to 800 skill pts (85 over my cap) many in taming and lore effect your enjoyment of the game?.

With out skill gain items many templates are virtually impossible.

for example

120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
110 music
110 peace
115 magery
100 lockpicking

Throw on a suit with straight 70's and 11 MR and there is virtually no place you can't go and nothing you can't do. And No you can't put that suit or that template together over a weekend...but you can do it in a couple weeks.

Carry on!
TW

G

<blockquote><hr>

just not in the mood for a long winded exchange of why and why not and babble babble...

besides its sunday... tis my one day a week I try to be nice...

[/ QUOTE ]

But but I saw you be nice on thursday......did you misplace your calander?

G

I was nice on thursday? crap!! the mind is slipping badly ...but your going to have to wait till monday....

M

mjolnir131

ok if what i'm about to say breaks the TOS i'm sorry but really at some point somebody need to say something and i will try and say it polite

but the braclets came in what AoS that was what 2003 this is what 2007 if your still complianing about a small change some 4 years ago you have issues big issues that will not get fixed playng a game you need long long profeninal counseling that or your just a mope and there is no help for you

and you know what skill jewlery does after having it 4 years nothing! outside of letting the people who don't play 14 hours a day use some of the skills sooner than they could, and if that bothers you i would have to add selfish to the list as well hell i love telling the "i had to walk to school in a snow storm barefoot.up hill......... in both direction" but when somebody gets something i have even if it was easier for them i'm happy for them

you want the world to know you worked really hard for youy skill then get a fire steed go to the brit bank and stand so that people can see the word bonded on your fire steed name it your name so there is no dought it's yours and stop compling gods

I

imported_Hinotori

I'd like to see the skill boost from items capped. If it was at 20 it wouldn't make some of the items out there with that much useless. Mind you that would be 20 per skill. That's plenty really. Shouldn't be able to take a character and toss stuff on and get 60 points from items. THAT is excessive. Stealing was running through my mind as an example cause I was thinking about making a theif and looked through the items I had and just what's in storage gives me +60.

M

mjolnir131

oh yea it's bad to use 40 points in items to be able to steal band-aids better gods what was i thinking

G

<blockquote><hr>

ok if what i'm about to say breaks the TOS i'm sorry but really at some point somebody need to say something and i will try and say it polite

but the braclets came in what AoS that was what 2003 this is what 2007 if your still complianing about a small change some 4 years ago you have issues big issues that will not get fixed playng a game you need long long profeninal counseling that or your just a mope and there is no help for you

and you know what skill jewlery does after having it 4 years nothing! outside of letting the people who don't play 14 hours a day use some of the skills sooner than they could, and if that bothers you i would have to add selfish to the list as well hell i love telling the "i had to walk to school in a snow storm barefoot.up hill......... in both direction" but when somebody gets something i have even if it was easier for them i'm happy for them

you want the world to know you worked really hard for youy skill then get a fire steed go to the brit bank and stand so that people can see the word bonded on your fire steed name it your name so there is no dought it's yours and stop compling gods

[/ QUOTE ]

well I suppose since Ive seen you complain about old things I must think its ok for us mindless tamers to do it too.... course this is not UHall and we tend to be nice and mature 99.9 percent of the time here and pretty much all throw food at Timberwolf when he aint looking and..babble babble jibberish gibberish la la la....

G

I say remove skills from all items including jewels across the board. All skills.

If they were to increase the skill cap to say 800 then there would be hell on. But thats effectively what has happened. Its possible to get right up their in the 800's if you are lucky enough or rich enough to get the items.

for example: I could create a new character, no advanced token with 50 skill in stealing. By gaining only 10 stealing points to 60 I could be the equivalent of 120 stealing if I throw on a +15 ring, a +15 brace, a burglars bandana (+10) and shadow dancer leggins (+20). +60 total ... thats legendary thief skills in the blink of an eye. Surely this is wrong?

Remove skill bonuses altogether.

G

I've lived around twinks so long, it's surprising they still bug me. It's like the hypothetical family nextdoor in RL. You might be working your butt off to pay the bills, yet they're on benfits, breeding like rabbits and it's handed to them. Does it affect you directly? Well not as such.

Over time, you see more and more folk thinking the same, then following through. Everyone's becoming lazy while you're still up early to go to work. Eventually you get looked at like a nut because you're doing something the harder way. Meantime, everyone accuses you of being a lazy scrounge, because you live in the same street. Protest all you like, you still get painted with the same brush. Wouldn't you get sick of it? You know the future generation are likely to come out lazy, but while you worry about that, nobody else is.

Is it right to want folks to work for rewards? I think so. I think it's much easier for new tamers, so we have the right environment to take away the jewels etc. I think we have a shocking reputation and have done for years. I want future tamers to have the fun reaching for milestones that Ailsa had, and be able to walk about without someone screaming "nerf tamers" at any given opportunity.

Wenchy

M

mjolnir131

thats the point why is it wrong they are giving up dci or hci or something else for using that mod postion thats the point that is why the whole IvI argemnt is lame at best that and the fact it was 4 years ago and it's a ginie your not getting back into the bottle without really pissing alot of people off just let it go

G

<blockquote><hr>

course this is not UHall and we tend to be nice and mature 99.9 percent of the time here and pretty much all throw food at Timberwolf when he aint looking

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey anyone that throws food at me sure as hell better wait till I am looking.....or we have to extend the 3 sec rule! I am not as fast as i use to be!

Oh and Micro elf......you weren't that nice thursday....just a little nice!

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

...everyone should be trying to have fun not telling everybody else how it should be done, as always in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you there Smithy!

<blockquote><hr>

Everyone's becoming lazy while you're still up early to go to work. Eventually you get looked at like a nut because you're doing something the harder way. Meantime, everyone accuses you of being a lazy scrounge, because you live in the same street. Protest all you like, you still get painted with the same brush. Wouldn't you get sick of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that you worry too much about what others think of you. Happiness comes from within, not from without. You shouldn't let another person's ethics affect yours. You definitely shouldn't let it affect your fun.

I have had to work for things in real life, very hard. Taking care of my family and ensuring they have the basic necessities is going to be a life long commitment for me. In real life. I don't have a lot, but I am happy with what I have. In real life.

UO is a fantasy world. A world where I can escape the trials of real life. A place where I can be rich, a hero, or even a villan. I have the right to play my game anyway I want to if it makes me happy. (unless it is intrinsically harmful to another person) I earned that right because I pay my $13 monthly dues. You also have that right, as well as everyone else. You do not have the right to say that my character wearing jewels to reach a higher skill is wrong and should not be done.

If this thread is to encourage discussion, great. Items should stay as they are.

G

It's not what others think, if that mattered I'd have ditched taming years ago considering the tamer hate we've had flung at us all this time :p It's concern and pity for some folks who can't see that hard work has a reward greater than lazyness.

I worry we're turning into a lazy profession, that we get handed power on a plate and grudge the tiniest effort or nerf. Some tamers embarrass the heck out of me with their baby attitudes (nobody here, dun worry!) Because sitting on your butt isn't going to let you achieve anything worth having in RL. And considering so many kids learn social skills in computer games these days (or seem to) I think these lessons through games can be valuable for youngsters. Some adults could use the lesson but are beyond help lol. But I fully accept I'm the tiny minority here who thinks that :p

Wenchy

C

carma234

Ok i figured i would throw out my thoughts on this cause everyone thinks it is a really big deal.
I have 98.1 real taming 98.2 after i get on today and get my gain.
I use a ring and a bracelet with plus 5 and 7 taming to bring me up high enough to where i can control my pets.
Now i would be lower however when aos came i popped 5 points into taming bringing me up to 96 real. After that i was so disgusted with taming and bored with the game i stopped playing.

Now that i am back i use the jewels and dont feel at all remorseful about doing so using my high end pets to hunt makes me happy that is what i enjoy about the game using my skills not training them up. Maybe if taming actively raised while you used your pets it would be different but as it stands i cannnot bring my self to go out and tame more then 3 or so pets a week for gains.

However while i do condone jewelry use i feel that there are way to many bonuses plus 30 i think 15 for each jewel was just right still had to train but you could get to using your charachter rather quickly.

There is also a large weakness in using so many items for plus to skill, the chance of you finding a plus 15 taming ring or bracelet with lower reg and mana and resists and all the other things is very small. Aside from that your wasting slots that could be used to make your char more powerful. In fact the only reason im raising my taming anymore is so i dont have to rely on those stupid rings and bracelet to be able to do anything.

It's all about playstyles i like the end of the journey not so much the path there especially when you have walked that same path 5 or so times on every char.
Im sick of the journey let me use my char the way he was meant to be.

M

mjolnir131

well in the first case maybe they are working very hard in rl and take this game as the excape from rl and don't have the time to spemnt 14 hours a day following PB and unis around

and as for the kids learning there socal skills in a game that is the euducation systems fualt and that is broken way worse and way longer than UO has ever been broken

I

imported_Hinotori

<blockquote><hr>

oh yea it's bad to use 40 points in items to be able to steal band-aids better gods what was i thinking

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you didn't see the word example in what I said. I could go out right now with a fresh made newbie character with 50 taming and items tossed on and tame a dragon. 30 from jewels, 10 from the Mark, 5 from the talisman. That IS excessive and is what makes everyone angry.

M

mjolnir131

then you have to spend god know how long training the dragon to get its magery up to a usable level so ......

i used items to get a head start on the 6 months it takes to train my dragon thats just wrong what was i thinking

G

<blockquote><hr>

That IS excessive and is what makes everyone angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I have to ask why that makes you angry. No one is making you use those +skill items.
If you feel they are excessive don't use them. But don't restrict or criticize others for wishing a differ play style experience.

Here is an example for you.....I am looking for a Lawfully Good Paladin guild for my Pally. No reds...no alliances with reds...they must pvm/pvp with a little rp thrown in. I have posted on multiple shards that I would consider moving a character to. Many guilds have approached me as have some reds....I have yet to find one acceptable....but that doesn't make them wrong, and I don't want to force them to play my way. I am just looking for a different playstyle.

I kinda see this as the same thing. No one is forcing anyone to use skill items...so why do you feel you should be able to force us not to?

My TWo Cents
TW

I

imported_Hinotori

I use jewels on two of my tamers for stabling. Since all five are gm or above I don't have much other use for them. It took about 5 hours for me to get to 81 from 0 on the last one. I never tame for more than 20 minutes since I get bored with it.

It makes me angry because I've been harrassed verbally in game, been PKed, had kills and tames stolen, had spawn lured onto me by or because of the actions of people who use this method to get their skill. Many times the people who have done so have apologized once they realized I'm not some munchkin out with some day old uber character. So the over use of it does effect others directly or indirectly. Tamers have a very bad reputation with regards to how they treat others. Why allow a method that allows fuel to be added to this fire?

G

Respectfully I would suggest your issue is a behavioural one, not a skill item one.

Unless you claim that all people who use this type of items are inconsiderate a$$es???

hmmmm make you wonder has "twink" almost become a racial term? Grouping people based not on who they are but by what they have?

There is definately an Anti twink attitude it seems!

TW

I

imported_Hinotori

Time training a dragon up. Hmm, since they do very well fresh tamed, Wind demons work very well. Vet the thing and you get some nice fame, karma, and gold too. Unless I'm bored I usually train pets through use.

I

imported_Hinotori

I believe its more of a discipline one.

It does take discipline to get taming up. You must discipline yourself to get the gains even if it's only the GGS. (I gave up on stealth a while back and only get the GGS at its time.)

Unfortunately, I do not see this problem as a UO only issue. Seems to be more of a people issue in the world in general. "I want it all now and if you don't do what I want only I'm going to sue you." (this is not a jibe at you or anyone else here Timberwolf. That little thing has more to do with someone I know, their kids and all their little friends.)

And I read the news to much. All the stupid frivilous lawsuits by people trying to make a fast buck without work.

M

mjolnir131

no TW it does not matter if i'm using items or not i'm still a wisea$$ but i'm loving when i do so

G

well shortie.. right at the moment TW is the only one we permit to be a arse wipe...err I mean wise arse (just kidding TW.. seriously.. well ok maybe) .. yeah thats it... soooooooooo till the rest of the gang here gives ye permission... keep it on UHall please...

I

imported_Hinotori

Oh and Timberwolf, you may find it ironic that I do give away taming jewels to those I see actively trying to be tamers with new characters.

You are correct though that it's a few bad seeds spoiling the the lot. There is always a few bad one.

G

from day one its been a few that mess things up for everyone... but thats the way it is in real life... some joker at work abuses something and then everyone pays for it...

G

<blockquote><hr>

right at the moment TW is the only one we permit to be a arse wipe

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Microelf...lets atleast use basic grammar when we insult people. We have to set an example for the children!
So the correct statement would be:

" to be AN arse wipe" The word "arse" starts with a vowel so we then change a to an.

Sheesh it is getting harder and harder to find verbal sparing partners!

LOL sorry I couldn't resist.

Actually I am very impressed and please with how this thread progressed.....Early on someone accused me of just trying to pad my post count. The truth is I could careless about my post count....but I did have a 10 hr shift to fill today at work, and this thread among others gave me something to help pass the slow times!

Thank for all the interesting comments....it definately gave me pause for thought at times!

Carry ON
TW

G

oh and Hinotori, no offense taken...jibe away Sir. I am not surprised in the least that you help new tamers, your reputation proceeds you.

J

joblackjon

Skill boost items should affect Taming (training) but not contribute to Control-ability or Ride-ability.

Control-ability or Ride-ability should be based solely on real Taming = Taming difficulty and real Lore = Taming difficulty. If a pet needs 100 Tame, then the Tamer must have 100 real Taming and real 100 Lore to control and ride.

You would be able to Tame and own pets greater than your skill but you could only control and ride pets if you have enough real Taming and Lore.

M

mysticvermin

I used to hunt with packs, but with the advent of resists instead AC, I could no longer buff up my packs with Protection. That with some RL changes forced me to leave the game for 3 years.

When I came back to UO a year ago I was hell bent on finishing my tamer. Having access to jewels made her viable again. I picked up some +taming items and found the joy of hunting with pets again. There are still many critters in the game that I have yet to and will someday tame. The only problem is that I have since found that playing a dexxer has become infinitely more powerful. I personally can't see a problem with using equipment to boost taming skills. Taming just isn't the uber skill that it used to be. The only real advantage to my tamer template for me is not having to bother with repairing equipment. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no plans to get rid of my tamer or her pets. It's just that for hunting/farming there are other templates that can get you faster kills and get gold/items quicker.

UO became a very item based game and taming is probably one of the few professions that you can get by without the need for uber equipment. That's what makes being a tamer a great profession to start out with. It's about playing 'monster fetch' with your little pixel critters not about power. Real power for tamers went out with stable slots and resists.

G

<blockquote><hr>

why does something need to be uber for it to be fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am NOT uber...and I am alot of fun!
Just ask Microelf!
heheh

G

I would be perfectly happy for the total removal of all skill items, including (though certainly not exclusive to) taming items.

I do use some skill items on some of my chars. My heaviest item-based char would be my ninja thief with shadow legs &amp; burglar's bandana.

Perhaps it's just me, however, since my thief doesn't have to gain skill in order to achieve everything a legendary thief can, I've lost motivation to train her.

I've stolen all of the Dojo &amp; Yamotsu Mine items, all but one of the Doom arties (never managed inquisitors), and since I am even passingly effective at filching scrolls &amp; bandies from distracted champers, I just have no real incentive to train her any further.

There is literally nothing left to train or even strive for and so I've effectively ceased training and striving.

Sure, I could choose to remove my shadow legs &amp; burglar's bandana, and I could train her again until she's able to achieve all she can now with skills items, but there's no getting around the fact that I've already done it all.

The premise holds for any skill. I just find it terribly sad, really. What's left when you've been everywhere, when you have it all, and when you can do it all by simply donning some garments/headgear/jewellery/talismans?

While that was really a rhetorical question, the answer that's been buzzing round my own noggin for awhile now is:- Siege Perilous. I'm interested enough that my last tamer is now in training.

I love that I have no option but to train my chosen skills on SP, that I'll once again earn each &amp; every taming milestone.

I love that of whatever items I might accumulate, all of them on me or in my pack (save one that I choose to bless) can and will be looted from my still warm corpse.

I don't know that I'm up to the task of surviving let alone thriving on SP. I'm going to try though. And maybe, just maybe...without the clutter of items, and with skills earned rather than worn, whatever I do manage to achieve might just begin to mean something to me again...

I

imported_Hinotori

Hey what you and Microelf do I don't want to hear about!!

The best fun I have in game now is killing stuff with the hellkittens. It's soooo amusing. Makes it worth it to hear the meow hiss fftt when I'm feeling down.

M

mysticvermin

<blockquote><hr>

why does something need to be uber for it to be fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to be uber to be fun. I love training my pets' skills. It's a rather OCD thing, but looking through sheets of paper with my pets' ever increasing skills thrills me. Ya gotta love the gains. I have other characters though, and they DO need stuff to be better functioning/competitive. You can only go so long killing only mid-level monsters.

I'm still in the process of building a working 'stable' of characters. While I sincerely miss the old days of 7x GM skills and a good set of GM crafted armor (those days are long gone and probably never to return) I will adapt to what ever this game morphs into. I left for a long while and there was nothing else that could scratch the itch quite like UO. Skill increase items, while making things so much more complicated when working out a template, are beneficial to enabling players have more flexibility and creativity with their characters. It took me a while to adapt to this new style. It was like pulling teeth to make a paladin samarai with necro. You just shouldn't be able to do something like that!
Until I came up with a fitting name for that character, Raven Satori. I have to have appropriate names for all of my charcters. It's a curse.

The use of items can make the game seem like an arms race at times. Actually, that's probably a quite accurate despcription. The thing about UO that really grabs me is that you are free to make &amp; remake your characters however you like. Skill bonus items grant ever greater possibilities. Will crappy people do crappy things in game? Absolutely! There will always be people who abuse no matter what the rules. That's just not a good reason to limit everyone's freedom. If someone wants to lump me in with someone else that was rotten to them, just because I have the same skill, well too bad for them. Life's too short for someone else's misconception to ruin my day.

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

It took about 5 hours for me to get to 81 from 0 on the last one. I never tame for more than 20 minutes since I get bored with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And earlier in this thread Wenchy mentioned getting to 85 in a week...

Can someone PLEASE tell me EXACTLY how you did this? I'm onto my third tamer. My first tamer hit GM a month or so back, and I began her last May or thereabouts - she has been my primary char since. My third tamer is sitting around the early 70's, and I started her in June this year. Have spent quite a few long nights chasing polar bears, brown bears and the like on the newest tamer... definitely more than 5 hours...

What am I missing? Seriously? I use various taming guides to select what creature is best for gains, changing regularly to try and beat boredom and inject a lil variety. I am an honest player, and yeah maybe I don't grind at the taming like I could, but there are plenty of other things in this game that I want to be doing, rather than following a white wolf around asking it to be my friend.

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but someone fill me in here! I really don't want it to take me 6 months to get my new tamer to GM

Oh and about the bonus stuff... nerf one, nerf all. And I mean all. No more resists from rings, no more skill bonuses from pants, no more SDI from hats. Nada. Items would have to make sense again - armour gives you resists, weapons give you HCI and DCI, spellbooks give you SDI, LRC, LMC.

Otherwise, leave it as it is.

I'd also like to see a higher rate of gain for an account that has trained a skill before, even on a different char - but thats another thread.

I

imported_Hinotori

I used the Taming Archive 'what do I tame' thing. Then I just picked the spots I knew had a TON of stuff in the right range for good gains with decent respawn. Way to many snow leopards though.

O

old_cwa

I also dislike the taming/lore + skill items. However I feel they serve a purpose while training your taming skill to keep you in a good target range for successful tames. I do understand that with power scrolls being added templates are cramped. So then I think if taming/lore +skill items need to go, but we keep the + skill music,peace,disco, and provo what's the difference. I guess it all boils down to your play style. I mean I use + chivalry items on my craftsmen to get around, how is that different then those that use taming/lore items? I guess there will always be a debate on the subject. I know I feel more proud to have 120 real skill vet, lore, and taming. Let's face it when you get right down to it real tamers are about pride and you can tell a real tamer from a twink and I don't mean twink as in jewelry users. I know twinks who have real skill, but they use taming for its pure power and not for the fun of hunts and training.

Tell me is it not that real tamers love the dance with dragons. Other players as well can tell by the person if they are true tamers or those just in for the profit. Heck I have been a tamer for 5 years and I have yet to see any major profit. I tame for the bragging rights that I just danced with a rune beetle and now he obeys me. I tame to have the best pet possible. Thats what we need more of. When I was in LLTS they had Pet Fight Nights. We need a way to have shard wide pet fights to show off your tamers training ability. A grand Arena for our pets.

G

LOL, you think those of us who don't twink are all unemployed huh? Sorry, but I have 2 jobs and a very normal RL, so please don't get all "we don't have time" with me. It doesn't wash.

I managed to 120 with very little game time, it just took me longer. I hunted with pets appropriate for my skill as I went, and considering you're pretty much in control of most stuff at 105, getting full control was easy. Yeah 120 takes longer, but you tame a few critters when you log on, then go hunt. I can't for the life of me see how that's such a huge hardship. It's not like you need 120 to do anything

Wenchy

M

mjolnir131

and thats fine for you. but it does not gel well with most of the week end warriors that play UO most spend maybe 4-5 hours a week and i have to agree that if you have spent 6 months playing why souldn't you have a ru or something hell you can get an house with little work on your first day is that wrong no is it wrong that people use a system that is starting on 5 years old to have a pet no
is it ok that you did it all with out any item yes it is and it's equally ok that somebody has to use a ring does not make you any less of a tamer if they do and to be honest it really does not make you any more of a tamer if you did

my freind in rl life rainbow, who tought me to be a blacksmith, the gods rest his soul ...well one day he called me a blacksmith and i said i don't know enough to be called a blacksmith. then he stopped hammering and looked at me and said that anybody on the planet can go down to the spotting goods store and by a set of clubs and call themselfs a golfer so your a blacksmith ... and the only person any blacksmith or golfer ever can measure themselfs agisnt is themselfs and no other .

same goes for UO tamers

G

Ok, explain to me the hardship in training to 85 skill so you can get a kitsune or 2. Though of course a kitsune could never be enough of a pet for today's young tamers... at least I presume as much, given that you're talking about hiryu. Heaven forbid suggesting that a newbie start with bears then frenzies and move to kitsune lol. Don't be silly Wenchy, newbies expect god skillz at day 1. Well actually they don't, because real newbies haven't heard of hiryu to want one. New players are just a good excuse for older "twinked" players to justify having their items. They're for the newbies? Uh-huh :p

Oh and I forgot, if you really cba training guess what! You can buy it. Please don't go saying "but it's expensive" because a few $ laid aside each week would soon save enough for that.

What it boils down to is 2 things. Some folks don't want to work to achieve things and others don't want their toys taken away.

Maybe we should have turned this argument around the other way. Please justify 4 slots worth of skill boost items which can then stack on an advanced char to create the day old leggy tamer lol. Not just replying "because we can and we want to."

Wenchy

G

They should remove all + to skill items. No matter what skill they may be.

M

mjolnir131

i see so this is not about the tamming jewlery really it about being agisnt people who have the extra cash to spend on there hobby and do so as opposed to alot of us who don't hae the extra cash

so it is about jeloiusy and having or having not and nothing about playin the game really