• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Web Hosting companys

U

UOKaiser

Anybody have any personal experience and reccomendations on some Hosting services?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Anybody have any personal experience and reccomendations on some Hosting services?
Yes....
1and1.com

Their rates are affordable, you get a decent setup for what you pay, actually quite good and they have a really extensive FAQ for common questions.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes....
1and1.com

Their rates are affordable, you get a decent setup for what you pay, actually quite good and they have a really extensive FAQ for common questions.
yep, they are the ones who take out ten page ad's in maximumPc.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1and1 are cool. If you want something more robust and business oriented, Network Solutions has some excellent hosting packages as well.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do design and development on the side and specialize on ecommerce platforms.

My Toolbox includes Microsoft Visual Studios Pro 2008/2010, The whole expression Suite, and every Adobe program you can think of.

I have clients that mostly use shared hosting with either godaddy and 1 and 1.

A dedicated server is best for applications that require SQL or MySQL.

Windows IIS servers are good for hosting asp.net and php (as well as html) applications, easy configuration and upkeep

Linux/Apache - A bit more tedious configuration, but provides better performance overall.

If you or anyone else needs some web help just give me a PM

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used 1and1 but then moved to SiteHQ for a few years. Not the cheapest perhaps, but customer service is excellent there.

Depends how fancy a website you want though, places like Weebly.com can let you make basic websites and save you cash on the hosting side. Or Wordpress, Blogger etc. I'm saving cash just now, running my main site on Weebly, with wordpress blogs (my old site ran on Wordpress or I'd have gone 100% Weebly. I host my images on Flickr so I can drop them wherever I like on the web.

Wenchy

U

UOKaiser

Thank you all. I heard about 1and1. Havent heard about the others. At this moment im considering bluehost. How are they compared to the ones you mentioned? If anybody knows anything about them?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have used dreamhost.com since 2004. I have had no complaints, easy to use, and fairly inexpensive.

O

Old Man of UO

I've got 1and1.com on one account still.

The Good
1&1 host has a nice e-marketing service that lets you send out up to 1,000 emails per month without cost... that came in very handy for me. The install directory is pretty basic but worked perfectly for multiple installs of Drupal. But you have to read all the confusing FAQs to figure out how to do anything other than a basic HTML site, and customer service won't be much help, because it usually whatever you are asking isn't in their script.

The Bad
Speaking of which, the customer service is in India and awful. Several times 1&1 made server upgrades that disabled my websites. Expect to spend some time on hold to get help - which eventually I did get fixed, bu they refused to tell me why. 1&1 also had limited memory for database installs, but recently matched competitors... it just took them a while.

Cost for anything above basic goes up really fast. If you want a dedicated SSL and private certificate (e.g. for a web store) you will pay upwards of $80 per month. Anything other than basic costs more than most competitors.

Other sites
Depending on what you want to run, I'm running Drupal and one HTML site, search on Google for reviews. I moved my web store account to Hostgator and their service and uptime AND customer support is awesome. Best customer support in fact that I've talked to (in Texas, by the way). Their directories aren't that great and multiple Drupal installs aren't standard, but CS was willing to help me figure it out and rather quickly.

BlueHost is another good one. Also look up SiteGround and HostMonster (I believe now owned my HostGator). And be careful of sponsored reviews, which of course are hidden endorsements.

O

Old Man of UO

I just ran across this website that reviews web hosts. There are dozens of sites that do this, but this one claims it doesn't accept money from webhosting sites to boost rankings - but they do run web host ads. It's still possible to stack the reviews, so be sure to look past just the low hosting fees. Still, some good info there, just take the reviews with a grain of salt.

http://www.webhostingjury.com/

A

AdamD

It depends entirely on what kind of site you wish to host.

I've used various webhosts for some 10 years now and run my own dedicated server.
I also host various UO sites on said server, like uocwiki, dragonswatch.org, ultimasonoma.com and uoforums, of course.

So if you have any specific needs, let me know and I'll advise.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I just obtained an account with Hostgator. So far, I'm very impressed. Very few limitations. Also, within a minute of registering, I received a phone call from a real-life person confirming my order, domain, and offering assistance.