• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

We, the people who play SP, can re-make the shard if we really want to.

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A group of long time players, or just a group who keeps returning, can get together and fix the shard so we can all live happily ever after without adding lots of new population.

As it is now (I recently returned for the nth (means I am not sure how many) time and basically am training 2 new characters. I have not been able to find out (on Stratics mostly, but also asking questions in game), how many guilds are on Siege at this time, how many currently playing members, etc.

It seems that we, the people, could work out a way that 2 events (or even 4) could take place each week, one at times people across the ocean(s) can play, and another at times people in the US can play. Hopefully the whole world can play at certain times also.

There can be killing, or contests, or stealing or whatever. It would be alot more fun than having Diablo or a newbie ("Ima take over Siege and kill you all") whom we either ignore or wish they would go away. They usually do go away. My point is that Gilfane seems to have fun....Can't we make some more guilds and all work to make Siege exciting and worth playing here each day so we can all have fun?

I am not a leader and do not want to be. I'm not a good follower either but I do love UO. I'm hoping some of the leaders and true Siege players will consider something. People like Freja, Hoffs, Bo, Victim (something about his sense of humor), and other thoughtful people can make Siege a lot more fun but still perilous. My list of leaders is short because I've only been back a few weeks and so many names I do not recognize from my last "incarnation" as Hoffs calls it.

Better than complaining about the population getting smaller. Let us make the population happier!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better than complaining about the population getting smaller. Let us make the population happier!
The complication with doing this is that to make the crafters happy they need more customers so that their merchandise sells instead of sitting and gathering dust on vendors. To make the PvPers happier, we need more players with a serious pair who are a real challenge to fight. To make the pkers happy, they need wimpy easy to find, easy to slaughter victims to kill endlessly. All three situations would call for more players on Siege. A larger population is the only real solution.

What's needed are changes that will make Siege more attractive to some prodo players than prodo is. The big questions are what would do that.

The biggest problem with Siege from my viewpoint is being unable to haul my 15 years of deco items from prodo to here, even were it to be a one way trip. If I transferred it here, it could never be transferred off Siege. There's to little deco available here due to the lack of old time players who got the deco items here and who are still playing.

And speaking of the old time players who have stopped playing, what about Siege killed their interest in playing on Siege?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If Siege really should get back to life, I believe we will see alot more red guilds back, some of them are still together playing other games.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A group of long time players, or just a group who keeps returning, can get together and fix the shard so we can all live happily ever after without adding lots of new population.

As it is now (I recently returned for the nth (means I am not sure how many) time and basically am training 2 new characters. I have not been able to find out (on Stratics mostly, but also asking questions in game), how many guilds are on Siege at this time, how many currently playing members, etc.

It seems that we, the people, could work out a way that 2 events (or even 4) could take place each week, one at times people across the ocean(s) can play, and another at times people in the US can play. Hopefully the whole world can play at certain times also.

There can be killing, or contests, or stealing or whatever. It would be alot more fun than having Diablo or a newbie ("Ima take over Siege and kill you all") whom we either ignore or wish they would go away. They usually do go away. My point is that Gilfane seems to have fun....Can't we make some more guilds and all work to make Siege exciting and worth playing here each day so we can all have fun?

I am not a leader and do not want to be. I'm not a good follower either but I do love UO. I'm hoping some of the leaders and true Siege players will consider something. People like Freja, Hoffs, Bo, Victim (something about his sense of humor), and other thoughtful people can make Siege a lot more fun but still perilous. My list of leaders is short because I've only been back a few weeks and so many names I do not recognize from my last "incarnation" as Hoffs calls it.

Eh, I dunno. I think player events are great, don't get me wrong, but people have tried to get event going regular, and they never last long. Mainly because few people show up, and unless it's in a secure house the event will just get disrupted by reds anyway. That's fun for some, but for those who aren't in to pvp, it just kinda means that the event (ostensibly the reason they came) is now over.

I don't really think the shard is "broken". There just aren't many players, and no one here can really make much impact on the score. The only surefire thing we could do is hold a Luna house design contest, as that would surely reshape the shard, and make siege the talk of UO... sorry I had to go there....

:p

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I see you guys post about making Siege more popular pretty often....but in all honesty, Siege isn't the smallest shard. There are quite a few prodo shards with less people than Siege these days. When is the last time you saw someone post about how active Baja is? how about Sonoma? Sakura? Balhae? the truth is almost all of the shards have incredibly small populations due to the natural decline in popularity of the entire game.

Your best chance to bring more people to Siege is to specifically target the high population area, which is Atlantic. I have no idea how it could be done, but if you guys can convince people from Atlantic to move here, your shard will at least double in activity very quickly. The downside to that, is many people on Siege do not like Atlantic from what I've seen, and to get more players on Siege you will have to basically make your shard more like Atlantic so the new people who move to Siege are more comfortable and feel at home. Otherwise they would just leave and return to Atlantic.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I rather saw Siege get new players, who did not grow up on prodo shards or get old inactive Siege players back. I believe it is very hard for many prodo shard players to get use to the limits in our ruleset.

• Let players here have more than one char.
  • Let players use recall
  • Let players gate/recall out of dungeons
  • Activate passive detect hidden here

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I rather saw Siege get new players, who did not grow up on prodo shards or get old inactive Siege players back. I believe it is very hard for many prodo shard players to get use to the limits in our ruleset.

• Let players here have more than one char.
  • Let players use recall
  • Let players gate/recall out of dungeons
  • Activate passive detect hidden here
returning players yeah maybe...entirely new players who start Siege right away would be great but I fear not too many would actually do that. UO is soo complex nowadays that most people would probably rather gain experience in a safer environment. I'd be more than happy if someone would prove me wrong though.

I don't like more than one char, recall and enabling recall and gate out of dungeons and I doubt this is what would bring people to Siege.

Passive detect I could accept...

Also I have to admit I agree with Norrington. Siege has always had a smaller population than most shards. With todays low population on all shards this of course also affects Siege's population. However, I think we weren't hit as badly as some of the emptier prodo shards...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I had seen players, who start on Siege, and never had played on Prodo. They learn fast and accept Siege the it is.

If you put a delay on recall, it would not be that bad.
I think most players want to try out other templates and switch skills on stones are annoying

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If Siege really should get back to life, I believe we will see alot more red guilds back, some of them are still together playing other games.
TRUTH!!! Most of the guys I ran with still play together, wishing for siege of old to return.

PS - HAI :D

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Siege was at its peak, I would say back when I played. We had hundreds in factions, constant champ spawns, RPrs, and HUGE player run events. I dont know about today, and I cant speak for everyone that has left, but personally, I left for a pretty simple reason.

People gave up on trying to "win."

They stopped trying to be competitive. UO is a game of extreme competition. From the obvious pvp aspect, to the pve with finding better stuff to farm, to the rare collecting, the house building. **** the most popular places are banks where you sit and show off your "cool ****." The fact that you can lock down stuff in your house to SHOW people is a competition.

People gave up all that.

They were happy never leaving their house. Running around naked or basic GM gear. Never tried to farm the difficult. Didnt put effort into doing things for fear of losing gear or w/e. People stop using pots, and started carrying around 5 of each reg and 1 PBD wep.

This made the game stale for people like me who gave a ****, and wanted to win. I look at UO, specifically siege, and I beat siege (with my group of course). No one challenged us, no one fought us, no one farmed what we farmed, no one did anything but pancake and page GMs.

When you lose players like me, your pvp disappears, your economy basically drops to nothing. Yes it is more peaceful, and less chance of losing your gear/items, but you also have no one to play with.

Just my 2 cents.

Chump Thumper

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I Like what the Captn Said. Sometimes being happy with what you have is a good thing or accepting change, change would be people with other playing style then what you have.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Like what the Captn Said. Sometimes being happy with what you have is a good thing or accepting change, change would be people with other playing style then what you have.
Sometimes change has to happen for the good of all whether they like it or not, even though there are those against it dead set in their ways. As with evolution, we adapt or die off. A fact of life we old farts have seen.

We Crafter types need those with a playstyle that use the items we gather & craft, pkers need those whose playstyle makes them easy prey. Only PvPers don't need other playstyles on their shard in order to have fun.

People have come to Siege from prodo and found it's a good change. We need to get more to come here and also like the difference, which may call for more change. The Story of Life.

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
That is a very nice story, Arden. It is a bunch of crap, but nice anyway. Thanks for sharing.
Nice troll /sarcasm. Good to know the reason you banned me multiple times on this forum for, you are currently an active participant in.

Is siege dead? Yup.
Was it at its peak when I played? Yup.
Did you ever matter in game? Nope.
Were you a part of the people problem with siege? Yup.

You can it a crap story, but when you were the crap causing the issues it can be all you see sometimes.

I imagine most folks that played when I did would agree with me, which is why most have moved on and the rest are left confused and unhappy with the server.

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Sometimes change has to happen for the good of all whether they like it or not, even though there are those against it dead set in their ways. As with evolution, we adapt or die off. A fact of life we old farts have seen.

We Crafter types need those with a playstyle that use the items we gather & craft, pkers need those whose playstyle makes them easy prey. Only PvPers don't need other playstyles on their shard in order to have fun.

People have come to Siege from prodo and found it's a good change. We need to get more to come here and also like the difference, which may call for more change. The Story of Life.
I like this. However I disagree about the pvpr part. As a pvpr from before I had a crafter. You need a crafter on siege to be successful, and a farmer of some kind for Pvp. You can't buy everything

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What a great event! We had EMs, asswagons, people pulling together to run said "asswagons" off. A well attended event I must say.

I actually heard a complaint that the attendance was a bit overwhelming. I thought it was awesome. I had a blast.

Now... Back to you Arden. When did you play here last? I have been here the last dozen years without fail. I just want to set the record strait. Do you play UO at all?

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
To add to Captain Norrington's post a few pages back about shards with less players than Siege.... i made a character on Origin last week just to see the population there.... I saw NO ONE... and house spots are everywhere including plenty of potential castle spots.... there are literally zero houses at the Vesper beach area.... i honestly think i saw less than 5 houses for the 30 mins i spent on that shard wandering around... so yes Siege is definitely not the least populated shard by any means

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Thank you Synbad. One more on the Siege is way busier than it lets on to be bandwagon. :thumbup1:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Now... Back to you Arden. When did you play here last? I have been here the last dozen years without fail. I just want to set the record strait. Do you play UO at all?
As far I can remember, Arden started on Siege around same time as you. It was when I restarted NEW, the guild ICE was still playing as I remember he had an issue with them. I can find more info, when I get home to my journals.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I remember when he first arrived, Freja. I remember when he left. What I was getting at is the sense of entitlement some former players seem to have. Siege has changed and evolved over the last decade. There is no going back.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The shard seems fine to me. Tons of PvP, no blessings, Vendors are thriving, Guilds are enormous. *blinks* Oops.. that's a "different" server. ;)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
This shard is in much better shape than is being presented here. Most of the negative nellys and debbie downers do not play Siege. They may have for a bit... That was a while ago though.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This shard is in much better shape than is being presented here. Most of the negative nellys and debbie downers do not play Siege. They may have for a bit... That was a while ago though.
You're right to an extent. However there are those of us who played Siege for years and during it's decline, came back again and again hoping for a revival. However, the cost of paying a subscription in a modern world of F2P with everything we hope for is just too appealing. I can play MH and be my favorite Marvel superhero or I can play other UO "like" options and have everything I had in 1999-2000 with thousands of players or I can play GW2 and get everything else I want out of an MMO.

The "debbie downers" aren't just people who quit video games because UO/EA started to suck. We've just moved on to greener pastures. :)

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've been avoiding these threads lately. I agree with Kelmo to the extent that the shard isn't easily represented here. I almost always play every day, and it is rare for me to not have people to interact with. I gave up on arguing about how to bring in new folks. I just concentrate on playing with the ones who are here. And yeah, the event was fun and I thought the shard did well.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been avoiding these threads lately. I agree with Kelmo to the extent that the shard isn't easily represented here. I almost always play every day, and it is rare for me to not have people to interact with. I gave up on arguing about how to bring in new folks. I just concentrate on playing with the ones who are here. And yeah, the event was fun and I thought the shard did well.
I realize you are relatively new to the Siege community. And I was absent for many years. However, This argument has been brought up many, many times in the past as the population declined. Dating back to 2006. There really isn't a solution besides making UO/Siege F2P and going AOS.. or going elsewhere to play. I'm sure everybody is happy where they are currently and have no desire to leave millions of gp worth of items behind. But there are better places to play.

I'm not trying to be an advocate.. but the definition of madness is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I realize you are relatively new to the Siege community. And I was absent for many years. However, This argument has been brought up many, many times in the past as the population declined. Dating back to 2006. There really isn't a solution besides making UO/Siege F2P and going AOS.. or going elsewhere to play. I'm sure everybody is happy where they are currently and have no desire to leave millions of gp worth of items behind. But there are better places to play.

I'm not trying to be an advocate.. but the definition of madness is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.
I could care less about the stuff, I usually give my stuff away. I do what I can to build the community and be a positive part of it. Siege is not what it once was, but it is not dead, and there are plenty of people to interact with. I get where you are coming from because i have been here since early 2000 and remember the days of a packed server and large fights, but those days are gone and probably won't return. if you are happy with other games, be happy there and I wish you well.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which is why talk of change is happening on the Siege forum, even by some of those folks long set in their ways. We are leaning towards trying different things.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could care less about the stuff, I usually give my stuff away. I do what I can to build the community and be a positive part of it. Siege is not what it once was, but it is not dead, and there are plenty of people to interact with. I get where you are coming from because i have been here since early 2000 and remember the days of a packed server and large fights, but those days are gone and probably won't return. if you are happy with other games, be happy there and I wish you well.
Dead is a relative term. That said, I think the population has been fairly stable for a few years.

I really think UO as a whole and Siege as a subset of that whole are pretty close to the bottom of subscription, that being the people who love UO, and will never leave for any reason other than a death; death of the game or death of the player. Them and "casuals" like myself who take one or two month long dips back into activity every year, and keep the account paid enough that our houses wont poof during the other 10-11 months.
This is just fine though. There are plenty of people playing to sustain a fun community, as you really don't need that many.

Obviously it's not as fun as like 10 (or how ever many) years ago when the population was at its peak, but what is?

Sandwich

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Character slots are the biggest hurdle that keep me from returning.

I just can't justify sinking the cash into upgrading and maintaining multiple accounts so I can have more than one toon here. I paid for between 2-4 accounts for years and I just don't find that concept acceptable anymore. My absence from Siege (but not from UO) has given rise to to my becoming spoiled by having multiple character slots... and yeah, I know Soul Stones are an option but that's far from being ideal.

One extra slot is all I really want and I bet it would attract veterans and newcomers alike if they had a support/crafter/farmer along side their "main" on the same account.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Character slots are the biggest hurdle that keep me from returning.

One extra slot is all I really want and I bet it would attract veterans and newcomers alike if they had a support/crafter/farmer along side their "main" on the same account.
If we support/crafter/farmer types saw more demand for our work we'd be more active ourselves. Wander on back and give us some business. :party:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If we support/crafter/farmer types saw more demand for our work we'd be more active ourselves. Wander on back and give us some business. :party:
You get no business from someone who choose to stay on Prodo shards. Crafting is very time eating complicated. For many it will be easier to buy their gear.
Also many do like to have more than one char for PvP, PvM, Treasure hunting, fishing, crafting. If I could not afford several account, I fear I would had given up years ago.

We don't ask for 7 chars but at least 2.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I'm quite happy. And I understand and respect your position. I'm simply pointing out that this dead horse has been beaten bloody over the past decade. I appreciate that the remaining players on Siege want to see it thrive again. If it did, I would certainly return again (without the subscription).

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which is why talk of change is happening on the Siege forum, even by some of those folks long set in their ways. We are leaning towards trying different things.
Well I do hope it works this time. Because it has been attempted many, many times in the past. And, usually the population lowered due to any changes that were implemented because it wasn't appealing to one part of the community or the other.

I'll cross my fingers as I'd love to play with old friends again.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What will work is let the players that play here have a voice. This is not Siege of 2000 what ever.

Siege is working just fine, thank you. Just ask a real Siege player.

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What will work is let the players that play here have a voice. This is not Siege of 2000 what ever.

I hate back buttons....I just erased my entire post.

To avoid retyping. We have diff opinions on what "working" looks like. I played uo since 1998 and if you count free servers, I still play occasionally today.

Im sorry Kelmo, you are not any more a "real player" than I am. You are just a dumb current player thinking siege is "working."

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I do not count free servers. I do not really count you as a contributing player Arden. No offence, you just do not contribute a thing to Siege.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If Siege is "working just fine" as you put it why the constant threads that say otherwise ? Greece thinks things are "working just fine" too and don't see any need to change lol

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I do not count free servers. I do not really count you as a contributing player Arden. No offence, you just do not contribute a thing to Siege.
If you take out the free servers, Ive prob still contributed, I mean played siege for longer than you.

But duration in game is beside the point, beyond playing forum police, I cant think of one thing you did on siege that really made it better. In fact, the proof that you still play siege and it is in the worse days of its life is quite ironic considering your argument.

Next time just say "uncle" before you post, and I wont reply.

PS....if I did nothing, and I am a nobody...you sure all remember who I am...:) and Kelmo I couldnt even name one of your IN GAME chars....so odd!! :-O

Arden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
If Siege is "working just fine" as you put it why the constant threads that say otherwise ? Greece thinks things are "working just fine" too and don't see any need to change lol
Interesting...It seems Kelmo stands alone.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I hate back buttons....I just erased my entire post.
Forum will remember, just reload page and open the thread again, and your not finished post will be in the botten on the tread and you can finish it

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I log in on the EC, i see the same 25 shards all listed as Low, and one listed as Medium.

Donal Mor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*peers into the scrying bowl*

Personally I think Broadsword should do some analysis on the player base, reduce the number of servers, and reset all of them.