• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

We all play our part

D

DPudding

It's not uncommon for me to have trouble sleeping. My mind starts thinking about what I forgot to do today....that leads to what I would've liked to have done today....and finally I settle in on thinking about the plight of the opossum. My mind jumps around a lot.

My shrink....yeah...I got a shrink....says that I think too much. Which makes no sense to me...cause I feel like I'm a very spontaneous person. I don't need order. I just need to worry about everything....it's how I stay on top of every facet of my life. I've argued with her about it....and she says, "Leave the house without a plan....leave your cellphone....leave your planner....and just wing it for one day....just ONE day." I, of course, can't. So...I guess she's right.

I usually blog on MySpace when I can't sleep. I prefer MySpace to Facebook. Truth is...I hate Facebook. Everyone is always doing something and I get 500 notifications a day about someone's cat pooping in the kitchen. So...I blog. Which got me thinking about something from days long past.....

I used to keep a UO Journal. Well...more than a journal, really. I dropped everything in it. How many times I fought a peerless (Mel 764 times...16 times in one day is my record), the days that I got certain drops, people that I hunted with, impressions of those people...and back in the old days....the names of people I PK'd.

So...an hour ago...I remembered my journal....and I started looking through it. And I found a name....Longinus. April 3, 1999. West Brit Bank, Chesapeake Shard. He gave me a Ringmail suit and offered to hunt with me until I made some gold. I never saw him again. And I played that shard until 2004. When I met him....I was upset....ready to quit. He helped me when I needed it....and I always appreciated the sentiment.

So....who helped you? Who got you through those days of the steep learning curve? Are you THAT person to someone else?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was "hacked" back in 2000. Was young, stupid and accepted a file over ICQ.

Centurio and Lady Delight helped me during this time. They helped me find out who did it, tracked them down, got my house back, even helped me get restarted with items. My old good friend and partner Synergy, even restarted my characters (because they were deleted).

So during the time in UO when I was most likley to quit, these people pulled me back into it. The three of them no longer play, but I will never forget what they did.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone I knew in real life told me to start playing baja and hooked me up with a rune book and told me how to make decent money about 5k a day which was good for a newbie before they redid loot. But the person who really helped me was named Gr@$$er/Gr@$$hopper (can't exactly remember which he used first) I think it was because I had my obscenity filter on back then but he showed me how to buy bulk regs and gave me the money to do it, he also was who got me to start pvping at 60 magery and about 60 swords (it was a strange template before power scrolls). I can still remember when our guild became an order guild and I went to the castle and got a crate of order shields throught the repeated use of "gaurd name" shield then putting the shield in a box on the ground because you could have more than one and they decayed fast so I had to do it quick.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back in March of 1999, I met Fiona Pentell, on Napavalley, she ran the University of Virtue and the guild Forever of Virtue, I learned to play UO and develop my character via game mechanics and roleplay there. The player of the character has been one of my closest friends for ten years,

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My hero was Lady Jazmin from Legends. When I came back to the game over two years ago I was a complete noob again with nothing after a 3 year break. I was spamming aimlessly at the bank for someone to mark me a rune, and here she comes. She marked me a rune and soon discovered I was a old player returning. She then gave me a house, cool deco stuff, tamed me all my pets, and then gave me close to 10mill in gold to get started. She left the game soon after. I will never forget her kindness.

M

Moonwynd

It's not uncommon for me to have trouble sleeping. My mind starts thinking about what I forgot to do today....that leads to what I would've liked to have done today....and finally I settle in on thinking about the plight of the opossum. My mind jumps around a lot. --welcome to Middle Age, my friend.

My shrink....yeah...I got a shrink....says that I think too much. Which makes no sense to me...cause I feel like I'm a very spontaneous person. I don't need order. I just need to worry about everything....it's how I stay on top of every facet of my life. --god, this sounds so familar!

I've argued with her about it....and she says, "Leave the house without a plan....leave your cellphone....leave your planner....and just wing it for one day....just ONE day." --it would be like going out naked only worse... *I thought I got like that because I had to remember to carry a small piece of everything we owned in a diaper bag when my children were very young... lol, I'm an idiot*

I, of course, can't. So...I guess she's right. ... she's not right, she should have said for 5 or 10 minutes, not a whole day and she should have said, maybe just leave one item behind at a time or shorten a planner into just a pen and paper. Have to start small and work up to larger amount of time. If it doesn't feel right then it isn't.

I usually blog on MySpace when I can't sleep. --I usually read blogs on MySpace when I can't sleep... so, PM me and let me know where I may be able to find your blogs...

I prefer MySpace to Facebook. --I agree...

Truth is...I hate Facebook. --I do, as well... Everyone is always doing something and I get 500 notifications a day about someone's cat pooping in the kitchen. So...I blog. -- I just read 'em.. people get the wrong opinions about me when I write... your probably making ideas in your head about me just because I am doing this to your post...

Which got me thinking about something from days long past.....

I used to keep a UO Journal. Well...more than a journal, really. I dropped everything in it. How many times I fought a peerless (Mel 764 times...16 times in one day is my record), the days that I got certain drops, people that I hunted with, impressions of those people...and back in the old days....the names of people I PK'd.

So...an hour ago...I remembered my journal....and I started looking through it. And I found a name....Longinus. April 3, 1999. West Brit Bank, Chesapeake Shard. He gave me a Ringmail suit and offered to hunt with me until I made some gold. I never saw him again. And I played that shard until 2004. When I met him....I was upset....ready to quit. He helped me when I needed it....and I always appreciated the sentiment. --again, this sounds so familiar.... I have had a few who have helped when I least expected it... I can't recall names in particular and I never ran into them again. I've even been friended to houses on our very first encounters and still never ran into them again. Have to say it made me feel really good to find people so trusting and helpful and not asking for anything in return. I've done the same thing over and over. I've even given out my IM info and still never heard back from them. (They just didn't sign in on the IM) Anyway, I'm not real good remembering names, but I don't forget that it happened and how it made me feel. Have to say too, that I've unintentionally done some stupid things that people probably remember me for. The hardest part about doing something stupid is the regret. All the good things I've ever done are quickly forgotten and I'm only remembered for the stupid stuff. Even with an apology, they don't forget. So a misunderstanding of words turns what could have been a great friendship into rubble. I haven't figured out how to fix that one yet...

So....who helped you? Who got you through those days of the steep learning curve? Are you THAT person to someone else? --have to say I was fortunate with this one.. my daughter plays as well, so we take turns helping each other, even when she's frustrated with me, she helps. I think Sweety is just about one of the coolest people on this shard and I"m not saying this because I'm her mom, I'm saying it because its true! She'll help anyone in an instant. You don't often find that kind of character in a teenager.
*Reply is in blue in above quote*