• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Waving hi from WOW

T

Terraxia

Whelp my old guildmates from UO convinced me to play WOW finally and its pretty fun. I havent quit UO, but I havent played it since I started playing WOW. I can see the UO influence in WOW and boy did EA miss the boat not creating a true 3D environment. I miss recall. Badly. Must... return... gain level...

bye

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
once u play little while travel will irk more and more and once hit lvl top what is left!!!!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

once u play little while travel will irk more and more and once hit lvl top what is left!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The same thing as in UO: a game you like to play.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, but in UO you don't have to find 24-39 other people that are all willing to do the same thing at the same time in order to do the end game stuff.

I

imported_Sarphus

WoW is really fun until you hit the level cap. Then it's a treadmill.

my advice. Enjoy the quests and leveling your char. Have fun. Don't give away your UO stuff.

WoW is linear... UO is immersive

G

A lot of the MMOs today seem to be a lot of fun at first. But it is more like a single player game kind of fun. Then it becomes less fun as you do everything there is and complete every quest.

I

imported_SavageSP

See ya in about 2-3 months, that seems pretty close to how long it takes most others to return, but have fun as long as you can, that is what games are for.

T

Terraxia

What nice replys! I think you all may be right, im not cancelling anything, but it sure is fun to play a game you dont know all the ins and outs of and getting around is challenging when you dont know where everything is. Im playing a hunter, which is right up my alley since I was heavy into my archer and tamer. I think ol blizzard has played UO before...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, but in UO you don't have to find 24-39 other people that are all willing to do the same thing at the same time in order to do the end game stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]I reached level 70 months ago and I still don't have enough time in the day do all that I want. BTW Connor, that 40 man raid stuff you refer to was sooo 2years ago. You guys really need to stop WoW hating.

I

imported_Skrag

I have my UO and WoW accounts open, and play them both as the mood suits me. It's a nice mix. Sometimes you want to play something that isn't an ancient heap of sprites. Time for WoW. Sometimes you want to play something that isn't crushingly linear. Time for UO.

G

I enjoy WoW too. I don't know about the 29-39 folks thing... Most of the dungeons we've done are 5 man (Yes, even 70 level ones). I suppose if you want to raid you can do 25 man ones, but frankly I have a life outside of gaming so don't have the time/desire to commit to it. We have a small guild of mostly uo players who just play casually and have fun. Yes, I have a 70 and I still find stuff to do *shrugs*

I still have one UO account, but I enjoy roleplaying in UO and with the player base shrinking it is effecting that significantly. UO has the ability to make your characters more template individualistic and more creativity with house design and such, but WoW has more activity stuff to do. Its a toss up - Different strokes for different folks is what it comes down to.

If you have any questions about the game and end up on Earthen Ring, feel free to shoot me mail/tell. Amberesi (Horde)

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

Sometimes you want to play something that isn't an ancient heap of sprites. Time for WoW. Sometimes you want to play something that isn't crushingly linear. Time for UO.

[/ QUOTE ]Arrr, this be why 'twould be a good idea for EA/Mythic to set up an umbrella-account type o' thing with their game offerings. 'Twould make it easier for folk who wanted to do something different to switch, and stay within EA offerings, than go to another company!

D

DeathByMe

I tried out a WoW 10 day trial and only wound up spending maybe 3-4 hours on it. I got bored quite quickly. I suppose it'd be better if I was past a level 5.. but I juts wasn't feeling it. I hate running everywhere, I hate repetitively killing lame crap to level up. I just wanted to go out and have fun, instead they just kept handing me quests that I had no idea how to finish (Go to Malentille (just made that up lol) and do XXX, even though I have no idea where the place is).

M

Meldurh

quote:
"Yep, but in UO you don't have to find 24-39 other people that are all willing to do the same thing at the same time in order to do the end game stuff."

Yeah,a really strange concept in a MULTI player game.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played WoW twice on 2 seperate trial accounts and got sick of it both times. The game does become boring and it seems like you spend more time running around and less time enjoying the game. It sure looked good but i came back to UO and haven't left yet. Goes to show you don't need uber graphics to have an enjoyable experience.

C

Cazzador

WOW is fun in the begining. I have 4 level 70 characters. Rogue, Druid, Warlock, Priest. Let me tell you it gets bad in end. Especially after they start nerfing and nerfing and nerfing characters to make them fit in the PVP arena. All we do, ( well most of what I do and my family because they all play, its (5 of us) PVP. We are in a pvp server. Also once you get to a comfortable level to start enjoying the game (A level that a casual player may take months, to a year to achive.) they come up and change the rules its irritating and disapointing. All I hear here is nerf samis, archers etc. You should see how balanced WOW Is. Over Powered classes come to mind. Just My 2 cents. I don't play it anymore only when my bro or dad calls me up cause they need one of my guys. I would say maybe 2-4 hours week. I already told them I will start cancelling my accounts.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not JUST 24 other people, 24 other people willing to share loot with a group (usualyl HAVE to guild), willing to change their gear and talent layouts AND be a class you need. 24 mages isn't going to help.

It's a fun game till level 70. Then it's an endless reputation grind, PVP (shocking) grind or a raid grind where you spend more time out of game organising players than you do playing the game.

Never heard of the concept of "end-game" till WoW. Dunno about you, but UO has no "end"-game.

R

Ryix (europa)

I wouldnt call it end game but id still say uo has its fair share, I think its more because you forgot all the content before end game that you dont consider doom, peerless, champs paragon AW's to be end game.
But in terms of wow, lvl 70 content is end game because theres nothing harder just like with uo, you fight lizardmen and ratmen, earth eles, fire eles, gradually work your way up past gazers elder gazers lich lords and daemons.

There is definately an end game. although its so easy to get to and so vast and varied that calling it "end game" seems a little limiting.

Wow is fine for a while, but you cant lose yourself in the game, you will never make friends on wow like you have on uo and you will never be able to create like in uo.

Scavenger hunts, bovine olympics, archery contests, marathons, auctions (run by players, moderated and no ninja bidding) deal or no deal! are just some of the things uo lets you do which wow just doesnt have the facility. It seems to me the limit to uo is your imagination, if you want to run an event or a game, theres probably a way in uo to replicate it, hell im sure you could play monopoly if you really wanted, scrabble sure, connect 4, battleships... the list goes on.

Edit: of course saying that, i did enjoy wow for my part, it was refreshing to learn a new game, but by lvl 30 youve learned it, and if you manage to hold on till 40 you realise a horse doesnt change much 60 nothing changes, 70 very little is added in terms of variety, sure now you have new dungeons and raids and bosses lands and reputation, but really.... how different is it from the content youve just WORKED your way thru to get to that point?

Dont get me wrong im not wow bashing its a nice enough game for its time, pvp is terrible and pvm is at least a little different, there are occasionally different AI's the problem is you just need to learn, theres no creativity, you get creative you die.

I love uo, granted the pvp now... is just horrible imo (PLEASE NOTE THE IMO! dont bother arguing because i know you love it and thats groovy man its just not for me) for pvp i play daoc, sure its a little simpler 1 v 1 and a little bit of a zergfest at times, but you cant beat defending a keep from a huge number of two different factions of enemies, looking out from the battlements to see a battle going on and to see your at the center of it, to know your tactics but to be able to change them and to have a role you can but dont have to fill. But then again maybe i just like giant catapults :p

G

One of the unique things about UO is that players are allowed to make a mark on the world. We can litter, swipe things, build houses, and the like. We can ride horses or other mounts the second our character is made if someone gives us one or we buy/tame one. We have great flexibility in creating our character templates. The problem is, when there is never any new content, bugs are allowed to remain for years, etc. those wonderful charms in UO just aren't enough to hold interest. WoW &amp; UO are both completely different concepts in games. I wish there was a game that had the player environment interaction of UO with the development support &amp; stability of WoW.

-Skylark

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

Arrr, this be why 'twould be a good idea for EA/Mythic to set up an umbrella-account type o' thing with their game offerings. 'Twould make it easier for folk who wanted to do something different to switch, and stay within EA offerings, than go to another company!

[/ QUOTE ]

I said the exact same thing to Mark Jacobs on another forum last year. There are people who'll pay for two MMO games at once, but without a package deal it's likely that one of them is going to be WoW anyway. For example, me.

T

Tanduay

wow thats the same reasons i quit DDO and LOTRO, and dark age of camelot just sucks.

I have played and loved UO since i joined the beta in december 1997.

When i play other games i judge them thru my UO filter.

they all come up short, it just makes me enjoy UO more.

its just too bad that me and my three OU accounts never get asked my opinion about were OU needs to go/do/change.

P.S. did i mention that dark age of camelot sucks so bad that mythic is hanging on to OU like its a life preserver.