• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior's Guide. Part 4. Equipment advices.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
4.1. Slots

4.1.1. Armor pieces

There is 6 armor slots.

Imbuing: res, MI, SI, HPI, LMC, MR.
Reforging: HCI, DCI.
Artifacts: HLD, SSI, FCR.

It's advisable to get HLD on your head slot from Mace and Shield Reading Glasses or Prismatic Lenses.
Mace and Shield Reading Glasses: 25-10-10-10-10, 30 HLD, 10 STR, 5 DEX.
Prismatic Lenses: 18-4-7-17-6, 30 HLD, 25 DI, 2 HPR, 3 SR.

To get SSI you can use Animated Legs of the Insane Tinker (humans/elves) or Breastplate of the Berserker (gargoyles).
Animated Legs of the Insane Tinker: 17-15-7-15-2, 10 SSI, 10 DI, 5 DIX, 2 SR.
Breastplate of the Berserker: 18-16-5-11-5, 10 SSI, 15 DI, 5 HPI, 4 LMC, 3 SR.

4/6 casting Paladin or Mystic Warrior can also use Night Eyes.
Night Eyes: 10-10-10-10-10, Night Sight, 10 DCI, 3 FCR.

A woodland armor piece can get one additional property (preferably 5 HCI or 10 DI) from enhancing.

A typical warrior's suit usually consists of:
- Mace and Shield Reading Glasses
- 3 pieces with 8 MI, 8 SI, 8 LMC, 5 HPI, 5 HCI/DCI
- 2 pieces with 8 MI, 8 SI, 8 LMC, 15 Res, 5 HCI/DCI

A cheap beginner's suit usually consists of 6 pieces with 7 MI, 7 SI, 7 LMC, 4 HPI, 13 Res.

4.1.2. Jewelery slots.

There are 2 jewelery slots. They are more valuable than armor slot because you can imbue properties that cannot be imbued on armor pieces.

Imbuing: DI, HCI, DCI, STR, DEX, EP, Skill, FC, FCR.
Magical crafting: 5 SSI, 50 EP.
Special loot: SSI, Stam, MR.

A tinker can also craft Turquoise Ring (5 SSI) and Ecru Citrine Ring (50 EP).
It's possible to find jewels with 10 SSI, 5 Stamina, 4 MR, 20 HCI, 20 DCI, 35 DI and so on.

If you want to get 4/6 casting you must use Ornament of the Magician (bracelet).
Ornament of the Magician: 2 FC, 3 FCR, 10 LMC, 20 LRC, 15 Energy Res.

A typical warrior's suit usually contains at least one jewel with SSI. Other properties on jewels are used to maximize DI, HCI, DCI and add some skill points or base stats.
In the past people usually had 50 EP on jewels but now some people prefer using a macro to equip EP jewels before drinking a potion.

A cheap beginner's suit may contains 2 jewels with 13 HCI, 13 DCI, 22 DI, 7 STR, 7 DEX.

4.1.3. Hand slots.

You can use:
- 2H weapon
- 1H weapon
- 1H weapon and a shield

1H weapon has 500 imbuing intensity. 2H ranged weapon has 550 imbuing intensity. 2H melee weapon has 600 imbuing intensity. (This is true for crafted weapons only. Looted weapons have 50 less imbuing intensity).

Imbuing (weapon): Slayers, HLL, HML, HSL, HLA, HLD, SSI.
Imbuing (shield): DCI, FC.
Reforging (shields): HCI, DI, SSI.

Weapon slots are the most valuable because you can imbue properties that cannot be imbued on jewels or armor pieces. This is why it's so profitable to get HLD from a head slot.

HML: must have
HLL: if you don't use Vampiric Embrace (VE) or Cursed Weapon (CuW)
SSI: if you cannot get max swing speed without it
HSL: good to have, but you can go without HSL if you use metal armor and can refresh stamina by Divine Fury
HLD: important to have if you haven't it on your head slot
Slayer: recommended to maximize your damage output
Hit Fatigue and/or HLA: nice bonus but less important than properties that are listed above (Hit Fatigue is better but you cannot imbue it)
Hit Spell: pretty useless in PvM
Hit Area: may be used on WW weapons

A typical 1H weapon has: 30 DI, reforged HML, super slayer, max HLL, some HSL.
A typical 2H weapon has: 50 DI, reforged HML, super slayer, max HLL, 50 HSL.
You can replace HLL with SSI if you use VE or CuW.
In some cases (see above) you can replace HLL with HLA or SSI.
You can reforge HLL and imbue HML on a slower weapons if you have a lot of SSI on without weapon.
You needn't to reforge HML on WW weapons (just imbue max or close to max value).

A cheap beginner's weapon usually has: DI, Slayer, HML, HSL, HLD/SSI. There is no much sense to have HLL because your damage is low.
I recommend a Radiant Scimitar. It's fast enough to get max swing speed without SSI. You can use WW against crowd and Bladeweave (or Lightning Strike) vs one target. Both moves don't require much mana.

There is just a few properties that you can imbue on a shield so reforging become more important. Usually you want to reforge 5 HCI and 35 DI or 10 SSI and some HCI/DI on a shield. Then you can enhance it to get additional resists.

If you haven't enough gold for a good crafted shield you can use Sign of Order or Sign of Chaos.
Sign of Order: 5 HCI, 10 DCI, 1 FC, 10 Chivalry, 1-0-5-5-0 resists.
Sign of Chaos: 5 HCI, 10 DCI, 1 FC, 20 Soul Charge, 3-2-2-2-2 resists.

4.1.4. Misc slots

There are 7 misc slots.

Talisman
Mana Phasing Orb: 15 DI, 5 HCI/DCI, 6 LMC, 1 MR/SR/HPR
Slither: 10 HPI, 10 DCI, 2 HPR
Conjurer's Trinket: Undead Slayer, 10 HCI, 20 DI, 1 STR, 2 HPR
A Primer on Arms Damage Removal: 20 DI, 1 STR, 2 HPR
Totem of the Void: 10 LMC, 2 HPR
Soldier’s Medal: 10 Tactics, 2 SR, 5 HCI, 20 DI
Duelist’s Edge: 10 Anatomy, 2 SR, 5 HCI, 20 DI
Enchantress’ Cameo: Random Slayer, 1 STR, 2 HPR, 10 HCI, 5 SSI, 20 DI
Totem of the Tribe: 5 Damage Eater, 2 HPR, 5 HCI, 5 DCI

The Mana Orb is good and cheap but it's brittle (75 durability). Conjurer's Trinket has good stats but you will take double damage from Reponds (the opposite slayer). Slither is very good but expensive.
On October 2014 two good clean up talismans were added. You can use them when you need DI or as a cheaper alternative to Slither (although Slither is still better in general case).
On November 2015 two new artifacts were added. Enchantress’ Cameo is very good but it is very expensive. Totem of the Tribe my be useful when you want to maximize Damage Eater.

Robe
Conjurer's Garb: 2 MR, 5 DCI, [140 luck]
Shroud of the Condemned: 5 INT, 3 HPI
Mystic's Garb: 5 MI, 1 LMC (Gargoyles Only)
Cloak Of Power: 2 STR, 2 DEX, 2 INT
Cloak Of Death: 3 HCI, 3 DCI, 3 SDI
Hawkwind's Robe: 2 MR, 5 SDi, 10 LMC, 10 LRC

The Shroud is good and cheap. The Garb is better when you need MR.
On November 2015 new artifact was added. Hawkwind's Robe is good for casters but it also good for a dexxer who doesn't need 140 luck from the Garb.

Belt
Crimson Cincture: 10 HPI, 5 DEX, 2 HPR
Tangle: 5 DCI, 10 INT, 2 MR
Ozymandias' Obi: 10 STR, 10 SI, 2 SR

On November 2015 new artifact was added. Ability to get 10 Si from a belt is very cool when you aim 211+ Stamina.

Back
Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation: 5 SSI, 3 SDI, 1 LMC
Shadow Cloak of Rejuvenation: 2 LMC, 1 MR, 1 SR, 1 HPR
Despicable Quiver: 5 HCI, 5 Archery, 5 RPD, 10 Res
Unforgiven Veil: 5 HCI, 5 Throwing, 5 RPD, 10 Res
Quiver of Infinity: 5 DCI
Jumu's Sacred Hide: 15 Poison Eater, 1 FCR, 20 DI, 5 SDI, 5 Fire Res

Despicable Quiver is very good. Players that need SSI use Ranger's Cloak. Quiver of Infinity is cheap.
On November 2015 new artifact was added. It looks even better than Despicable Quiver for a melee character.

Sash:
Corgul's Enchanted Sash: 5 DCI, 1 SI
Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard: 5 INT, 2 MR, 10 LRC

LT Sash is better if you need MR but it is expensive and brittle (150 durability).

Boots:
Clean Up boots: 2 Res
Unicorn Mane Woven Sandals/Talons: Night Sight
Detective boots: 2/3/4 INT
Boots of Escaping: 4 DEX, 1 SR
Anon's Boots: -5 HCI, 10 DCI
Shandy's Waders: 10 HCI, -5 DCI
Minax's Sandals: 150 Luck, 5 LMC, 10 LRC, -3 Random Res

Detective boots are brittle and few INT doesn't make much difference so they are not very popular. Usually players use Clean Up boots to adjust resists or leave this slot empty. Gargoyles can use this slot to get Night Sight.
Since an event item - Boots of Escaping - was introduced it looks like the best option when you needn't resists.
On November 2015 three new artifacts were added.

Earrings:
Nocturne Earrings: Night Sight
Earring of Protection: 2 Res (11th Year Collection)

Gargoyles hasn't Earrings slot. Humans usually use this slot to get Night Sight.

4.2. Item properties

4.2.1. Damage Reduction

The first thing a warrior want from his suit is to cap all resistances. The normal cap is 70. Elves have +5 to energy resistance cap as a race bonus.
Special forms (vampire, wraith, stone) affect your resistances. For example, if you're going to use Vampiric Embrace you need 25 more fire res on your suit.
You can also change resistance caps by refinement. Mathematically there is no difference between +5% DCI and +1% to all resistances.

You can get resistance on any main slot but it's better to use armor slots because they are the less valuable.

Damage Eater is not very popular. The cap is 18 for Damage Eater and 30 for individual eaters. You can reforge Damage Eater on armor and on a shield.

4.2.2. Combat Relative

HCI/DCI
Usually you count how much HCI/DCI you get from misc slot, try to reforge as much as possible to armor pieces and imbue the rest on jewels to reach the cap.

DI
Usually you count how much DI you get from misc slot, decide how much you can have on the weapon and imbue the rest on jewels to reach the cap.

SSI
HLL/HML values depend on the weapon speed. To keep them higher it's better to get SSI from suit. It also gives you one more (the most valuable) weapon slot.
You usually need 5, 20 or 35 SSI. With 3.75s weapons you need 55 SSI. Archers/Throwers usually use 4.00s weapon and need 45 SSI to get 1.5s per swing.
You can get 5 SSI on a Turquoise ring. You can get 5-10 SSI on a "Shame loot" jewel.

Divine Fury
At 120 Chivalry it gives you +20 DI, +15 HCI, +15 SSI and -10 DCI.
It's profitable to use it to get combat relative stats when you want to get 20+ SSI on your suit. Also it allows to new players to get 45 HCI and 100 DI with buying expensive reforged armor.

Heartwood Enhancing
You can get 10 DI or 5 HCI per armor piece by enhancing.
Only elves can use woodland armor. Enhancing result is random so it takes few attempts to get the property you want. One times it take me 12 attempts - it like throwing to a trash can two full ready suits.
Woodland armor doesn't give inherit LMC bonus.

4.2.3. Stats

You can have up to 125 base STR/INT/DEX and up to 150 with items.

Players often use potions to get 150 STR/DEX. With 50 EP a potions gives you 30 STR/DEX (31 for humans due to JOAT Alchemy) for 3 minutes. Taking off EP items doesn't change the effect from potions so you can have a backup EP jewels and use macro to take them on/off. It definitely worths to do when you use 2H weapon or a shield (switching two items is as fast as switching one item). When you use 1H weapon without shield you may want to have EP on your main jewels to be able drink potions faster.

If you don't want to use potions you need to imbue STR/DEX on jewels. For example, if you use Mace And Shield Glasses, Crimson and Despicable Quiver and have 125 STR, 120 DEX than you need to imbue 15 STR and 15 DEX on jewels to get 150/150.

STR gives bonus to damage, removes range penalty for throwing weapons and increase HP.
You need 25 HPI and 150 STR to get max (150) HP.
I prefer to have 130 STR and 140 HP with items. Usually it's enough. When I fight tough monsters I drink a potion to get 150 STR + 10 overcapped STR for cases when I'm cursed.

DEX removes chance to block penalty, reduces time you need to apply a bandage and increase stamina.
You need 80 DEX to remove chance to block penalty. You need 140 DEX to get min (4 sec) bandage applying time.
I prefer to have 10-15 Stamina above the value that gives me max swing speed. When I fight tough monsters I drink a potion to get 30 more DEX/Stamina and usually continue swing at max speed even when taken a heavy hit and cursed.

INT increases your mana pool. Usually 80-100 mana is enough.

4.2.4. Casting

Some template require faster casting and faster cast recovery. The caps for Chivalry is 4/6 FC/FCR. FC is important when you use Chivalry to heal yourself during a fight. Otherwise FCR is more important. 1 FC reduce the time you need to cast a spell by 0.25s (but not bellow 0.25s). 1 FCR reduce the time you need to recover from casting a spell by 0.25s. Magery spells have 1.50s base recovery time so you can reduce it to zero. Chivalry spells have 2.00s base recovery time so you can reduce it to 0.50s only.

You can get 1 FC on weapon, shield, ring. You can get 2 FC on bracelet (Ornament of the Magician).
You can get up to 3 FCR on ring, bracelet. You can get 3 FCR on helm (Night Eyes).

4.3. Suit advices

4.3.1. Starting suit

The simplest hunting suit should have 70 all resistances and some HML on the weapon.
In this case you use fast weapon to maximize your swing speed and spam Lightning Strike to get max HCI.
You may also want to have 100 LRC to train Chivalry/Necromancy for free.

Such suit is enough to train your weapon skill while earning some gold at the same time.

4.3.2. Cheap suit

On this stage you want to maximize DI/HCI, get HLD and increase HP/Stamina/Mana/LMC.
For example, you can have:
6 armor pieces with 4 HPI, 7 MI, 7 SI, 6 LMC, 13 Res
Mana Phasing Orb with 5 HCI, 15 DI
2 jewels with 22 DI, 13 HCI, 13 DCI, some stats or skills
weapon with Slayer, DI, HML, HSL, HLD or HCI

You can refine it to get 75 Physical resistance.
You can alternate special move (AI/DS) with Lightning Strike to avoid double mana cost for special moves while doing pretty high damage.

Such suit is enough to farm gold and to solo mini spawns in Abyss.

4.3.3. Good suit

A suit with max resistances, combat related skills (DI, HCI, DCI), HPI, LMC and good bonuses to Stamina/Mana is counted as a good suit.
It's usually reforged and post-imbue-enhanced (but you can as well do enhancing right after reforging to make it cheaper). It's usually contains artifacts for the head slot and for 5 main misc slots (talisman, robe, belt, sash, back).
Usually an armor piece looks like: 5 HCI, 8 LMC, 8 SI, 8 MI, 15 res/5 HPI/2 MR.

Such suit is enough to solo champion spawns, some peerless and other bosses.

4.3.4. Advanced suit

Nowadays it's not so difficult to maximize all main properties. You can even do it without jewels.

For example,
DI: 20 DF, 30 enhanced, 50 weapon
HCI: 15 DF, 10 enhanced, 15 reforged, 5 quiver
DCI: -10 DF, 10 slither, 10 reforged, 10 garb/sash (-25 refinement)
HPI: 5 armor, 10 slither, 10 crimson
LMC: 40 armor
Res: 65 glasses, 4*64 armor, 51 armor, 10 quiver = 382 total (75-75-75-75-80)

Even if you don't use woodland armor and don't want to refine your suit you can get some free room on your jewels.

There are few ways (directions) to improve your suit.

Base stats
Since you already have 150 STR and enough DEX this means getting more INT and mana or getting 150 STR/DEX without potions.
Although this way gives you more comfortable game-play it usually doesn't make quality difference.

Swing speed
You can try to increase SSI on your suit so you could use slow weapon without imbuing SSI on it.
Your thrower/archer can have 45 SSI (1.5s with 4.00s weapon). Your melee character can have 35 SSI (1.25s with 3.50s weapon).

Casting
You can and some FC/FCR for more comfortable using of chivalry spells.

Skills
You can add 100+ skills on your suit and use some interesting mixed templates.

4.3.5. High-end suit

High-end suit must be based on crafted and/or new loot system artifacts. Such items may have 800+ imbuing intensity so 2 artifacts can give you as much properties as 3 imbued items. To craft artifacts you use reforging by high-end runic tools.
Usually you use 2-3 artifacts and craft/imbue rest items to adjust resists/LMC/HPI. Then you add one looted jewel with high intensity and imbue the second jewel to adjust HCI/DCI/DI.

Last edited:

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4.1.3. Hand slots.

You can use:
- 2H weapon
- 1H weapon
- 1H weapon and a shield

2H weapon has 600 imbuing intensity while 1h has 500.
Would it be worth adding that you can still only imbue 5 properties on 600 intensity weapons?

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a question with reference to your ssi section, you state throwers and archers can have 45 ssi allowing for a 1.5 sec swing rate on a 3.5 sec weapon.

This certainly isn't the cap....are you just giving an example? Also it might be significant to say that keeping ssi off weapons is the only way to achieve 100 hml weapons.

Thanks again for doing this......what a fabulous guide!

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Also it might be significant to say that keeping ssi off weapons is the only way to achieve 100 hml weapons.
It would indeed be significant to state this - given that this is a falsehood. I have a modern reforged (AKA done under most recent ruleset) longsword that has 100HML AND 15 SSI.

http://www.uoguide.com/Hit_Mana_Leech

Contains the relevant equation.

I'm not going to root around for the thread, but in short, when you reforge a 3.0 or slower weapon to have 100 HML... it only SHOWS 100, it actually has 100+ (max reforge is 1.4x the output of the equation at UOGuide).

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would it be safe to say that reforging/finding as loot are the only ways to find that combination (100 ml 15 ssi)? When you try to imbue ssi, doesn't it reduce your leeches accordingly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I think you need to reforge, not sure if loot is possible. My theory is that the loot generator works same as the reforge generator though, so it may be possible to loot this.

When I did my testing, I reforged a longsword to show 100. Then I imbued 5 SSI... still 100, then 10, still 100, then 15, still 100. When I imbued 20 SSI, my HML dropped to 96.

When I imbued back down to 15 SSI, my HML went back up to 100.

Here's what I think happens. We know that you can imbue 140% HML since you can take a 2.75s leafblade up to 96%. Max on a longsword is 120 HML then in this case. So, in theory, you should be able to make a longsword that has both 100 Hit Mana leech, and 20% SSI.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would indeed be significant to state this - given that this is a falsehood. I have a modern reforged (AKA done under most recent ruleset) longsword that has 100HML AND 15 SSI.

http://www.uoguide.com/Hit_Mana_Leech

Contains the relevant equation.

I'm not going to root around for the thread, but in short, when you reforge a 3.0 or slower weapon to have 100 HML... it only SHOWS 100, it actually has 100+ (max reforge is 1.4x the output of the equation at UOGuide).
I stand corrected....ok well I am sitting actually...but you know what I mean!

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Corwin,

I've recently returned to UO and am very unfamiliar with Forging, I was wanting to make the 5 HCI/DCi, 8 SI and MI, 8 LMC, 5 HPI armor that I see lots of other sampires wearing, but I don't understand how to go about that? Do I imbue all the stats onto the armor piece and than reforge and hope I come out with the HCI or DCI?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wanting to make the 5 HCI/DCi, 8 SI and MI, 8 LMC, 5 HPI armor that I see lots of other sampires wearing, but I don't understand how to go about that? Do I imbue all the stats onto the armor piece and than reforge and hope I come out with the HCI or DCI?
You reforge the HCI / DCI first, then imbue the other mods. Are you using leather/studded/metal armour?

HCI+5, or DCI+5 metal armor: SHADOW runic + Powerful + Slaughter
HCI+5, or DCI+5 tailor armor: SPINED kit + Powerful + Slaughter

The above info is taken from HERE

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You reforge the HCI / DCI first, then imbue the other mods. Are you using leather/studded/metal armour?

HCI+5, or DCI+5 metal armor: SHADOW runic + Powerful + Slaughter
HCI+5, or DCI+5 tailor armor: SPINED kit + Powerful + Slaughter

The above info is taken from HERE
Thank you DJad, should I use the POF before or after I reforge?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you DJad, should I use the POF before or after I reforge?
Reforge the parts to get the DCI / HCI (5 is max) then POF, then imbue and then enhance if needed.

Always POF before imbuing as you cannot POF imbued items.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Hey Corwin,

I've recently returned to UO and am very unfamiliar with Forging, I was wanting to make the 5 HCI/DCi, 8 SI and MI, 8 LMC, 5 HPI armor that I see lots of other sampires wearing, but I don't understand how to go about that? Do I imbue all the stats onto the armor piece and than reforge and hope I come out with the HCI or DCI?
A. Expensive way:
1. craft item from iron ingot (repeat till you get resists you wanted)
2. reforge HCI or DCI
3. apply POF
4. imbue
5. enhance using Forged Tool

B. Chip way
1. craft item from iron ingot (repeat till you get resists you wanted)
2. reforge HCI or DCI
3. enhance using +60 hammer (you may lose the item)
4. apply POF
5. imbue

If you go the second way it's better to craft items with low fire resist then enhance with valorite (and imbue fire res on the last step). In this case you get needed amount of fire res and don't lose res points on items due to imbuing over material res.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks you two, I played a little on Test Center with it and think I understand the process.

Another question (Sorry!), reforging only works on regular leather and iron ingots? I tried doing it on horned/barbed leather and colored ingots and "couldn't reforge" those?