• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior Challenge (Oct 2014): Cora the Sorceress

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Warriors,

A new month is upon us and that means it is time for another challenge. With the new loot system unveiled, I wanted to have a difficult foe that was both in Trammel and Felucca (primarily for the 1000 luck bonus). This month's challenge is Cora the Sorceress located deep in the revised dungeon Covetous. She kicked out Sudiva the dragon and now has the 5th floor all to herself. Cora has a wicked attack which is reportedly multiplied by the number of players in her vicinity. There is not a lot written about tactics to defeat her and even the Stratics Hunter's guide is short on details. I've heard stories of dual bards and warriors soloing her. So let's giver her our all and share your stories. Here are the rules:

1) Post recent info and screenshots of your warrior battling the Warrior Challenge foe.

2) Include any info you want on your template, gear, unique tactics employed, etc.

3) Discussion and suggested improvements by other community members are welcomed.

Please also consider listing examples of the loot she gives you and your luck (including facet). I hope to hear your epic stories of success!

-OBSIDIAN-

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure if posting a pic is a good idea but you can trap her in the rocks(or so I've been told) behind a samp, or other dexxer build, and bang her out. Bring a bard and run the Inspire and Invigorate spells plus some heals. It's slow as she zaps your mana so most specials are gone though with a 100 ML bladed staff you can still do some LS hits here and there if you lock down a key.

If you bring two bards you can walk away when running all bard spells......GL all.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure if posting a pic is a good idea but you can trap her in the rocks(or so I've been told) behind a samp, or other dexxer build, and bang her out. Bring a bard and run the Inspire and Invigorate spells plus some heals. It's slow as she zaps your mana so most specials are gone though with a 100 ML bladed staff you can still do some LS hits here and there if you lock down a key.

If you bring two bards you can walk away when running all bard spells......GL all.
Do you discord her as well? How far do you keep your bard away to avoid ranged damage?

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run the Mace and Shield glasses for the HLD and HLA on the weapon. I disco and stand about 8 tiles back while using the walls to reduce her LoS.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It takes me about 20 minutes solo with my DiscoSwordsman:
120 sword
120 tactics
100 anatomy
100 healing
120 chivalry
105 bushido
77 disco
63 music

I use a double axe with 100% hll

Firstly I have killed it with parrying in my template but due to EC bugs I often can't heal using Close Wound and/or Healing Potions: New UI bug list workarounds etc.
This made chance to die pretty essential. So I replaced 100 parrying with a 100 healing (never died yet).

p.s. It takes me 2.10-2.40 to kill a UEV with this char (lumberjacking instead of healing)... and I don't even have elemental slayer weapon.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wrote up about doing here a while ago. But, having trouble with the search function here and can't seem to find it.

I duo'ed her on with my bard and paladin.

With the bard, I would run in and find a corner to invis. Then I would honor myself, using that time to discord Cora. Next I would run the bard into the building in the middle. Then I would bring my paladin down and pull Cora to the bottom/east side of the building. Standing there, you will get the effect of the bard songs and the building prevents Cora from mana vamp'ing the bard. (hopefully they don't nerf that).

I've also done it where I pull her in first, then discord. But, I've died a few times doing it that way.

Plus, you used to be able to stand directly on top of Cora and not be affected by her mana vamp attack. It was something else I was afraid they were going to change after I posted how I did it a while ago. (found the post via bing - stratics search isn't working http://community.stratics.com/threads/defeating-cora.273266/page-2 )

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you discord her as well? How far do you keep your bard away to avoid ranged damage?
Two ways, one is that you can stand at maximum range to target with a gheal and you won't get hit with the fireballs. Second is to stand inside the building in the middle.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I tried again and killed it even faster. So it is not luck.

P.S. When they fix bug with disabling spells/potions/trapbox I will be able to replace Healing with Parrying or may be even Lumberjacking and kill it even faster. I also could try a 70 Mana Drain weapon... but I'm too lazy to craft it.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Bump... a few more days left in October before we move to the November challenge. PM me if you want to recommend a future challenge foe.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Man, I never even successfully completed the Sept challenge, and now I've been camping in Doom and forgot about even trying this one...

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to go back and do the September one... once I actually get back into playing the game. The only thing I have done in the past month or so is help my wife farm in Doom.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well, I did it. 6x120 Swordsman with a bard running masteries (I know, not technically solo) Tactics included whacking her with a sword until she died, which she did after waaaaay toooo loooong. Not having chiv/bushido was rough since she has no slayer, combined with no mana for armor ignore and it was embarrassingly bad.

(Yes, I play UO on a Mac :eyes:)

Attachments

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I did it. 6x120 Swordsman with a bard running masteries (I know, not technically solo) Tactics included whacking her with a sword until she died, which she did after waaaaay toooo loooong. Not having chiv/bushido was rough since she has no slayer, combined with no mana for armor ignore and it was embarrassingly bad.

(Yes, I play UO on a Mac :eyes:)
Nothing says you have to be solo. Congrats! Did you use any special tactics other than working with your bard?

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One thing I did find helpful was using my target closest/attack macro from champ spawns when she does the dance at the end. Holding it down was much more effective/less carpal tunnel inducing than double clicking her over and over.
I put hla on the weapon to take some heat off of me.
Someone had suggested standing on top of her would avoid the mana drain but this didn't seem to work for me.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone had suggested standing on top of her would avoid the mana drain but this didn't seem to work for me.
That was me. I was farming her when she first came out and I posted my tactics for her. I remember a post or something by a dev (or was it a patch *shrug*) saying they changed something, but I haven't fought her since then. On Atlantic, there were just too many idiots down there who insisted on dying and trying to get everyone else killed as well.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It use two ways to take your mana - a thing it casts on the ground and a direct spell (like Mana Drain). You can avoid the first one by standing on the tip of it and you probably can avoid the second one using wraith form or mana drain weapon.

elza choi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It takes me about 20 minutes solo with my DiscoSwordsman:
120 sword
120 tactics
100 anatomy
100 healing
120 chivalry
105 bushido
77 disco
63 music

I use a double axe with 100% hll

Firstly I have killed it with parrying in my template but due to EC bugs I often can't heal using Close Wound and/or Healing Potions: New UI bug list workarounds etc.
This made chance to die pretty essential. So I replaced 100 parrying with a 100 healing (never died yet).

p.s. It takes me 2.10-2.40 to kill a UEV with this char (lumberjacking instead of healing)... and I don't even have elemental slayer weapon.
sorry for bump this page and bother you corwin.
I wondering this.. can discordance her with 77 disco and 65 music?
using skill items? like jewels, travesty mask, song woven mantle.. after discord her, swap items for battle?
I want to learn your disco-swordman template =D

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using the base bardic skills (provoke, discord, peacemaking, musicianship) it is fine to use items to pump up your skill. It's when you use the bard songs that real skill matters.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
sorry for bump this page and bother you corwin.
I wondering this.. can discordance her with 77 disco and 65 music?
using skill items? like jewels, travesty mask, song woven mantle.. after discord her, swap items for battle?
Yes.

elza choi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
swd/disco/music 120
tac/ana/healing 100
parrying 60..

2 hours solo
from midnight, to AM 2 ROFL
i hit her average 20

2 hours..it's crazy :(

thanks for your advise, corwin

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Only hitting for 20? What weapon did you use? I guess it has little or no leeching on it, or were you 100% feint or something?

elza choi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Only hitting for 20? What weapon did you use? I guess it has little or no leeching on it, or were you 100% feint or something?
Leaf blade of ease
100% fire dmg about 40 hll i think
I tried her first with 100hml 80hll, fail so quickly, no mana everytime

So i tried leaf blade and shield lol

Yeah, almost no leech
I used only enhanced bandage,
no spm, no spell, no perfection
I have pots, but can not drink because shield
heal was super busy business for me

just used discordance and healing healing healing..

I want feint, but out of mana every time

But I have crafted eater armor
30 fire 30 kinetic eater on my armor
It was so good for against cora

I think I'm super idiot
Spent 2 hours for just 1 kill? with 20 dmg? oh ****...
but It was very special experience for me

Guys, how much hit dmg against cora?
I remember, 24 with discordance was my best :(

sorry for broken english! :)

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I usually d0 65-80 damage per hit. Pretty often I have enough mana for Double Swing. It usually takes less than 15 minutes to kill it including time to disco.
Here is one screenshot from my video. As you can see the whole video time is 13:52. You also can see my skills and my base character damage on this screenshot.
2014-11-18 17-19-11 UOSA 2014-10-15 Cora disco swordsman.avi.png

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I record video with 2x less size. In case someone is not able to read numbers I will post them here.

The current hit damage (double strike) = 9 + 66 + 9 +71 (155 total)
The previous hit damage (double strike) = 80 + 9 +80 (169 total)
Base character's damage 57-69.

Tactics 120
Anatomy 100

Pro's:
protection, honor, str, dex, eoo, orange petals, DF, honor
HP 150/150, Mana 22/80, Stamina 202/202

Bettis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually d0 65-80 damage per hit. Pretty often I have enough mana for Double Swing. It usually takes less than 15 minutes to kill it including time to disco.
Here is one screenshot from my video. As you can see the whole video time is 13:52. You also can see my skills and my base character damage on this screenshot.
View attachment 25711
Corwin I really like your UI. How do I get something like that going?

Bettis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's just the normal enhanced client? When I open mine, it looks nothing like that.