• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior Challenge (May 2015): Chief Paroxysmus

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
All -- I merged two threads together to put all of the Paroxysmus discussion together. Thanks to Mikeltin5 for getting the keying discussion started. The Warrior challenge thread is below in post #11.

-OBSIDIAN-

A couple observations as well as a question or 2.

So I started keying paroxy, and looked online for maps that would elude to where everything was to give me an idea of the dungeon. I found the corrosive slimes at the beginning of the dungeon and got the skull and the torso off them. Killed hundreds and never got the legs. Ventured deeper into the dungeon and found more slimes around where the Putrefier is. Found legs on them. So final key is on Putrefier. WOO HOO!

Now, I honored myself as I ran through the sucubbuss area so I wouldn't have to worry about them following me down and could have honor ready for Putrefier by himself with no other spawn to worry about. Killed Putrefier with no worries, but before I could loot him for the spleen (which from pics is no bigger then a piece of blackrock) another popped off, honor faded, and the next one got me before I could set up honor and whatnot.

This varies in detail for the next few, but the end result was the same. So now I have like 6 sets of keys and no spleens. Any tactics or special weps you use for the Putrefier?? The only thing I think I haven't tried is using a Daisho for feint and holding off on honoring myself until I get closer to Putrefier.

Side note...first time I honored I was Knight of Honor, so first 2 Putrefiers went down easy before it wore off. The next trip in I'm assuming I was Follower of Honor (at least when I rezed I was), so maybe that attributed to honor wearing off faster. Any tips?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Don't fight it where it spawns would be the most obvious tip.

Done 100's of Paroxysmus' and I prefer to use my Necro/Mage. Lure out everything else, then let it target you on the opposite side of the rock wall from where it spawns so it walks around, have Invis pre cast, wait until it gets near (10 tiles or so, any closer and you'll find 2 spells land on you) then use the Invis, pre cast another and move to the side where it spawns, Energy Field the gap on the way, there's a 2x2 or so rock on it's spawning side if you line yourself up on the west side of that it won't walk back around once the Energy Field drops, from there in Wraith Form, you can Chain Lightning/Omen or Energy Bolt/Omen it to death. The reason this method is good is because when it dies, you pre cast Invis and go to it's corpse, while the new one spawns just keep pre casting Invis and target them when it flags on you, this gives you maximum time to loot. This is so easy you can stay in Wraith Form for the entire process. I usually get 4+ spleens.

The slimes, due to corrosion I just run around fireballing them, between the acid waterfall right at the start and the bit where it splits in two further on you can get all other keys from any slimes but yeah it usually goes like that, you'll get 4-5 of everything apart from one then get 3 of them in a row.

A-tron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I do putrefier where he spawns. I use a 100% energy spear and just AI to death. You can evasion as necessary, I personally use Counter Attack but that's personal preference. Make sure you have an honor macro so while you are looting one you can still get your honor off. As soon as you get the hang of it you will have 6 spleens and no body parts ;).

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I like the tidbit of GODs concept, but I like to keep my sampire down there the whole time, as opposed to having to use multiple chars to get a set of keys.

On your spear, did u make it a demon slayer or is the energy sufficient enough for him? I can see using just a 100% energy wep a lot more then making one specifically for the putrefier.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Note: I have never tried this myself... BUT:

Why not use invis and confusion blast potions?

Kill him, drink an invis, loot...

If another pops, toss the confusion and invis again as needed until you've got your spleen and are ready to take on the big guy.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm going to make a 100% energy bladed staff tonight and see how it works, plus take down some invis pots as I do see that as potentially beneficial. The only downside I see happening is moving an item in the corpse to find the spleen and becoming un-invised. In which case, you're better off having honor ready so when you are seen at least u can fight for a minute while u sort through the last corpse. I'll post my end results and hopefully have a solid method by the end of the night.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
If you use the enhanced client, then you don't have to worry about items stacking, and looting is much easier, because you can single right click an item to insta loot, or you can set a multi looter. It still takes time, but it goes as fast as allowable, and leaves your mouse free to do other stuff...

I used the 2D for the first 16 years I played. I still use it from time to time, but for hardcore fighting, I think the EC is much better

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
if I could get my macros over to EC...I'd probly do it. That's my only drawback. I use EC for crafting so I can sort a pack by resistances or properties, but if I could get my samps macros over to EC I'd do it in a heartbeat (may be asking for help :/)

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
It just takes time, but there's nothing you can do in old that you can't do with the new... but the reverse is not true.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Warriors,

It is time to revive our monthly Warrior Challenge. For May, I want to go after and oldie, but goodie. I quit UO for a few years and came back in 2007. One of my favorite posts as I reset my characters after this hiatus was an early sampire post by Baghdaddy1. This thread showed pics of a sampire challenging Chief Paroxysmus. It has been many years since those early sampire days and also years since the I visited the Chief. Much has changed in the world of warriors so I thought it was time to revisit this foe. Chief Paroxysmus is located in the Palace of Paroxysmus which is in both Trammel in Felucca from the Lost Lands. Keying involves killing the dreaded Puetrefier. I am interested to hear stories of modern warriors challenging the Chief and what loot he drops. Here are the rules:

1) Post recent info and screenshots of your warrior battling the Warrior Challenge foe.

2) Include any info you want on your template, gear, unique tactics employed, etc.

3) Discussion and suggested improvements by other community members are welcomed.

Please also consider listing examples of the loot he gives you and your luck (including facet). I hope to hear your epic stories of success!

-OBSIDIAN-

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So I tried Putrefier again last night. This time I took the time and sat down to make my CC/UOA macros in EC. Once I actually took the time to do it, setting up the macros wasn't bad. I tested out the new look and feel at balrons cuz I needed more honor and got a pretty good feel for things.

Went back down and honored myself just before walking into Putrefier's area. Honored and killed the first one, then used an invis pot to loot in peace. Nothing on the first 2. Then got lucky on the 3rd and pulled a spleen (just as honor was wearing off). So I had to pull the spleen and run.

I'll probably use the invis pots for a couple days while I get used to the set up down there, but I don't see a need in the long run for invis pots, mainly just getting used to EC and a new dungeon. So tonight I'll finish getting the spleens I need to have 3 full sets of keys and try my luck at the boss...seeing as Chief Paroxy IS the Warrior Challenge of May :D

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Maybe we'll get lucky enough to have videos posted of the fights. I've watched the 2 or 3 on youtube just a little too much...need some fresh videos with modern style!

A-tron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I like the tidbit of GODs concept, but I like to keep my sampire down there the whole time, as opposed to having to use multiple chars to get a set of keys.

On your spear, did u make it a demon slayer or is the energy sufficient enough for him? I can see using just a 100% energy wep a lot more then making one specifically for the putrefier.

I happened to have a lot of 100% weapons I made so adding demon slayer to one was no biggie. Works on Para balrons too. I use 100% energy demon slayer HML, HSL, HLA 25 ssi on suit with 193 stam swings plenty fast. I actually just use a 100% fire weapon for paramoxyus HML HSL HLA HLD

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I've got a very similar weapon I made for Lady Mel that I'm going to try tonight. Most of the videos everyone's using double strike but I use a bladed staff so I'm gona beat him down with AI and see how that fairs. Should be able to post tonight the final results. Maybe a video if I can figure out how to upload OBS.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm going to merge this with the May Warrior Challenge for Paroxysmus. Keep the stories and discussion coming!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Maybe a video if I can figure out how to upload OBS.
I think your video needs to be hosted elsewhere (like Youtube) and we can link it here. I will check with the forum admins to make sure this is correct info.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Baghdaddy1 was I think the cause of my first sampire and I did lots of Paroxysmus' with it. I've done it with lots of different templates and some have worked surprisingly badly!

Based on that I recommend keeping the old classic approach sampire: Bushido and Parry, Ornate Axe, and using Lightning Strike/Counter Attack and Chivalry. Back then it wasn't possible to max a lot of properties but generally did 200+ iirc and with the Counter Attacks going off it was over fast.

Remember you only need Physical and Poison resist for Paroxysmus' himself which if you did just want to throw together the needed suit properties makes things a lot easier.

I don't have dps info to refer to but I imagine switching Ornate for Double Axe and using Double Strike would be just as effective and possibly an AI spammer.

I would avoid Discord/Sampires, the benefit is barely noticeable in this encounter, and the mastery damage is not only minimal but if you need to move back can get you teleported back in and killed.

I never got around to trying out Mirror Images in this encounter (they may count as a summon and heal it) but would make it easy.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Easiest way is to use ranged attack (ABC Archer, etc)
Fastest way is to use Double Swing (Bushido Paladin, etc)

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

I'll start it off. This was my first solo Chief which I did today, and went decently well for a first. Couple times I almost bit it, but pulled through and finished in 9:04. Gear is still a bit shady as I'm still in the process of getting him together after swapping skills around majorly.

Tactics were simple...Honor...EoO...DF...AI with counter attack in the background. Rinse and repeat til he died. As far as loot...I did mine in Tram for ease of getting there and this being my first solo run. Loot was nothing great, couple Lesser's and 6 ingreds. Holding out for the Paroxy Swampy tho :D

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I did Paroxysmus with my disco swordsman. I killed it before superkey expired.
But since it can do 130 damage per hit against 75 res and barded dragon I filled myself slightly nervous when my hp was under 130 and ran away to heal when my hp was under 80. I believe I could save 1-2 minutes if I would stood still hoping I leach hp before he hit me again.
To kill it faster without risk of death I need to switch lumberjacking to necromancy. Against this boss I'd prefer to get guaranteed LL so my hp is always 150 after each my hit.

Parox1.png Parox2.png

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@CorwinXX , I notice in almost all videos (your pictures included) everyone is using double strike as opposed to AI. For instance, I do roughly 160-170 with a current skill/suit combo tapout of 183. In your first picture you've got 2 double strikes totaling 298 and 266...crippling my 183 max. Would you see those same numbers if you went with an AI weapon, or am I crazy to be using AI when I could double strike for numbers much higher then 183??

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It depends on monster. When a target has less than 50 in its lowest resist it is better to use Double Strike.
Paroxysmus has about 50 res (may be slightly less) so there is not much difference between AI and DS.
Discordance reduce target's resists so it increases your DS damage.

My char with 100 Anatomy, 120 Tactic, 150 STR has base character damage (displayed):
53-65 Bladed Staff
57-69 Double Axe
61-73 Two-Handed Axe

When I replace parrying by lumberjacking it has:
66-79 normal
77-92 critical

Against this Paroxysmus I did up to 165 damage per hit so it had about 40% fire resists when discorded.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I guess i have to hit the drawing board again then. Im not quite sure why I'm tapping out at 183 (to a point i understand as my anatomy is fueled almost strictly by jewels). Maybe theres just a disconnect in my setup versus theres as to why they hit so much harder

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
To hit for more than that, you will need a double strike weapon (double axe is the favoured one) and a bard to discord him, or have a disco dexxer.
With AI, at most you will cap shortly over 200 damage.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
To hit for more than that, you will need a double strike weapon (double axe is the favoured one) and a bard to discord him, or have a disco dexxer.
With AI, at most you will cap shortly over 200 damage.
What kinda of cap would you expect to see without a bard? I tend to solo most things, potentially a duo with a few people, but those people go for mages or dexxers, not bards.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
With 120 tactics, 120 anatomy, full honour, slayer weapon, the most I have done with AI using a bladed staff was 201.
If you have necro, you may try to cast corpse skin on Paroxysmus to have his fire resistance drop by 15, but I am not sure JOAT spirit speak will be enough to get corpse skin on him.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm sorry, I didn't clarify. How much would you expect to do with double strike.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It depends on target's resists.
Against 50% resist theoretically using DS you do the same damage as using AI.
Double Axe and Two-Handed Axe both have bigger base damage... that can be farther increased by lumberjacking.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If resists are 50% (theoretically) does that mean that my 183 AI would be (2) 91 hit DS's? I think I've seen it somewhere online that with the AI you either hit or miss, end of story. But DS you have the chance to hit with the first and miss with the second, or not hit at all, or obviously hit with both. Seems DS would have to be specifically researched per boss to determine whether or not it's worth giving AI up for. Thoughts? I like having to think :D

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
That seems about right, I think. Both AI and DS only do 90% damage.

I believe @CorwinXX posted about it in one of his stickied guides, and even included a list of what mobs to DS, which it makes little difference, and which to AI. I think he even went so far as to take into account disco and corpse skin.

In short, changing your skills/suit/weapons to optimize per boss will always yield, at worst the same, at best MUCH better results.

Most mobs really aren't particularly well rounded... which is why the ones that ARE can cause so much trouble - like the named pixies when they clone you.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
You can have all skills you need on the same character. For example, it takes me 1 min 45 sec to kill UEV (counting from the first hit). As you see on video with Two-Handed Axe I do up to 155 damage per hit (without lumberjacking!) - and it is more than I do with Broadsword using AI.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Paroxysmus (without risk of death) 5 min (from the first hit). Total (including minions) 7 min (from the entering the Palace).

Last edited:

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Out of curiosity, what mods are you running on your axe? And if it's the typical, HML, HSL, HLA, DI (if needed), do you try to keep those numbers across the board for all your double axes or have you crafted like 50 for specific bosses and whatnots?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Do you use FC/FCR when playing in Protection?
I don't use FC/FCR with this character. This is why I have 5 axes with different damage type.

Out of curiosity, what mods are you running on your axe?
I use 4 axes with 100% elemental damage: 50 DI, 62 HML, 30 SSI, 50 HSL, 50 HLD
and 1 axes with phys damage: 60 HFat, 50 DI 62 HML, 30 SSI, 50 HSL.
This char has no slayer axes. My chivalry is not enough to get max damage bonus even with perfection so without slayer I do slightly less damage than I could.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
My skills and stats are displayed on the video:
120 Swordsmanship
120 Tactics
100 Anatomy
80 Bushido
96 Chivalry
77 Discordance
63 Musicianship
60 Necromancy
85 Spirit Speak

150 HP, 81 Mana, 202 Stamina (with potions)
75-75-70-70-80 resistances
45 HCI, 30 DCI, 100 DI, 35 SSI (with weapon)

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't use FC/FCR with this character. This is why I have 5 axes with different damage type.
I use 4 axes with 100% elemental damage: 50 DI, 62 HML, 30 SSI, 50 HSL, 50 HLD
and 1 axes with phys damage: 60 HFat, 50 DI 62 HML, 30 SSI, 50 HSL.
This char has no slayer axes. My chivalry is not enough to get max damage bonus even with perfection so without slayer I do slightly less damage than I could.
Is there a cap on HLD? I like the concept of adding HLD to my weapons as I don't need SSI on them and barely any DI, but with already wearing the M&S glasses does it have a cap? On UO Guide it gives an example of of Pris. Glasses (30) and a weapon with HLD 50. So obviously (hopefully) at least that amount would work. Could that mod be overcapped maybe to try and shoot for a higher HLD overall?

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Also, with having such low music and disco (I've never ran a bard of any sort) at roughly what monster level does your skill not allow you to disco anymore (or fail to the point of not trying on that monster anymore)?

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He is basically using a broken game mechanic . Equipping enough items to get to 120 music/disco, discord enemy, then puts on his normal gear. Discord stays on enemy. Would get you a nice vacation from the game if you would pull that sort of stuff in any other mmo, as its clearly a bugged mechanic.
Sad to see that that sort of bug abusing is now legit enough to be shown here.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Now that makes a little more sense. I wasn't sure if it followed the ruleset of vamp embrace (where you have to maintain 99 necro to main VE). But fortunately/unfortunately it still works...I may give it a shot.

But then again...he killed the same boss roughly 2min faster then me. By not changing anything I still kill the boss...hell I'd spend more time looting the corpse and dropping off the items then 2min...guess I can live without doing all that. :) I'm happy again

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Is there a cap on HLD? I like the concept of adding HLD to my weapons as I don't need SSI on them and barely any DI, but with already wearing the M&S glasses does it have a cap? On UO Guide it gives an example of of Pris. Glasses (30) and a weapon with HLD 50. So obviously (hopefully) at least that amount would work. Could that mod be overcapped maybe to try and shoot for a higher HLD overall?
No, there's no cap, but it doesn't add... it multiplies. So if you have 50 HLD on weapon and 30 on glasses, you don't get 80. You get .5 from the weapon, and then you get .3 * .5, which is what is left over, from the glasses for a total of only .65.

Even 50 HLD on a double strike weapon is probably a bit overkill when you're at the hit chance cap - which in this case he is either at, or very near, I suspect.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Overkill? This particular question determines how my next few weapons to play with turn out. If I keep the glasses which I intend to do, what would you recommend as a well-enough or perfect HLD for the weapon and why? Is there a real argument against it? Seeing as with 30 and 50 you're at .65, that leaves .35 left to absorb (theoretically). Why (in this perfect suit/weapon UO world) would someone not strive for that idealistic 1.0?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
HLD lasts 8 seconds. That is 6 swings. When you have double strike 6x2x.95 chance to hit = 11.4 hits (lets call it 10, assume you're unlucky).

If you have .5 HLD, the chance that you don't re-apply HLD within your next 8 hits is: 1/2^10 = a 1 in 2048 chance that you don't reapply it within that time.
Even if you're running AI and only land 5 hits... you'll still only fail to apply 1 in every 32 times.

If you're running only 30%, using double strike you're at .7^10 = ~3% chance that you don't reapply.
Running AI, now maybe 30% is not enough. .7^5 is ~17% - so roughly 1 in 6 times you apply HLD, you won't reapply it before the timer runs out.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
He is basically using a broken game mechanic . Equipping enough items to get to 120 music/disco, discord enemy, then puts on his normal gear. Discord stays on enemy. Would get you a nice vacation from the game if you would pull that sort of stuff in any other mmo, as its clearly a bugged mechanic.
Sad to see that that sort of bug abusing is now legit enough to be shown here.
Technically it is the same as switching to EP jewels to drink potions or switching to a luck suit for last hit. I believe almost every one does something like that.
And I believe ethically it is not worse than using second account for disco + songs.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Even 50 HLD on a double strike weapon is probably a bit overkill when you're at the hit chance cap - which in this case he is either at, or very near, I suspect.
I don't use M&S on this char.
I could get 15 SSI on jewels to have 1.25s at 150 stamina but I chose to get 210 stamina to have 1.25s at 180 stamina because it is cheaper. (And after switching from 120 chivalry + no necro to the current template I lost SI on my jewels)