• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warning regarding Billing (NO) Management server

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Credit expired at the end of this month and the folks at Amex sent me a shiny new gold card.

So, I had to update my CC info.

I made sure it reciprocated for ALL EIGHT accounts.

However, the billing server farted, took a dump, and closed two of my accounts.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Broadsword and EA for the near HEART ATTACK when I couldn't login into the account with my Compassion Desert Castle and the account with the Ranger of the Abyss house.

Anywho problem fixed, and that's two less idocs for you idoc turkeys.

However please watch out for the billing server because I did manually make sure each account was updated and it still closed two of them.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Please remember to keep responses polite. People stirring things up will be thread banned and given a warning. We do have Stratics Unleashed for those that cannot help themselves.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I strongly advise everyone to put text or email notifications on purchases to their credit cards. It can get a little spammy at times but it's a visual reminder that a charge went through, sometimes you catch things you forgot about - like a streamer you thought you cancelled. Especially on low use cards that might normally slip your mind.

Additionally, your bank will sometimes flag repetitive charges as potential fraud, they'll either email or text you and it's in your best interest to follow up on those. They will learn your behavior over time and it helps pickup actual fraud.

Since the change to the master account system, it would've been nice if we could have unified billing for subscriptions but I guess thats too much to ask for.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My understanding is that one of the many reasons the account management page is so bad is because it's hooked into the "string code" that runs UO and there is not very much knowledge as to how to change it. Rather than take any risk, they've decided to live with the current account management page. Don't expect changes any time soon... or for that matter, ever. This will be the system until the game shuts down.

As like many others, the one time I had a house fall was when I forgot to update an expired CC. An alternative to relying manually on auto-charges to your credit card would be to buy codes and apply them to directly to your accounts. That was my solution to avoid any unfortunate surprises in the future.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
An alternative to relying manually on auto-charges to your credit card would be to buy codes and apply them to directly to your accounts. That was my solution to avoid any unfortunate surprises in the future.
This!! When I sub, I use codes and I set up calendar reminders for when they are going to expire.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Don’t credit cards take years to expire? Like one of mine easily had/has three years before expiration.

Doing gametime codes and setting reminders etc sounds way worse than the alternative.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Don’t credit cards take years to expire? Like one of mine easily had/has three years before expiration.

Doing gametime codes and setting reminders etc sounds way worse than the alternative.
Could be for some. I get a reminder when it ends and I know I have time to resub. I get bored too easily anymore since it is the same game it has been for the past 10 years with nothing really new at all. I don't count the "treasures of" because they are just reskinned rewards.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED

Usually, yes. However it's not uncommon for the issuer to make backend changes and issue new cards or if your # shows up on a hack list, a new one is issued.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Usually, yes. However it's not uncommon for the issuer to make backend changes and issue new cards or if your # shows up on a hack list, a new one is issued.
I may be one of the fortunate few, with zero issues over the last 24 years using a reoccurring CC

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Had an issue like this recently. I was lucky enough to resub account, login, and spend the last couple days watching house fall. It had already entered 2nd post-vendor owned by OSI phase. Seemed ****ty to be able to stand there with the house owner and be unable to stop house from falling.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*UPDATE*

Okay so guess I should have done as TimSt recommended and purchased something from the EA store.

Because now I have had to rinse and repeat TWICE!

The first two went down on the 13th and I had just got my replacement Amex.

I updated immediately it SHOULD have been good after that.

Then Four more went down on the 17th and another set to got down on the 18th
I went in and check the updated card was on file. I had to MANUALLY resub each account.

This is AFTER I had updated them with the new card on 13th/14th.

Today account number 8 went down AFTER being updated!!!

It did not renew and once again I had to MANUALLY RENEW!

This is beyond terrible programming and I question if the system is PCI compliant?

I know the game is 25+ years old but there no excusing this crappy billing system.

I actually wonder if the system is flawed to benefit those who profit from IDOCs.

Trust me the game is corrupted. Hell, the government is corrupt for that matter.

Corruption is a fact of life, but you don't have to like it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can you add a back up card

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Updating a credit card can be tricky, I follow this guide when I need to do it:

I strongly suspect in this case, this sentence in the linked page may apply
In some cases attempts to update existing credit card information has failed. I this case select ‘delete’ then ‘add new card’ from the previous screen and re-enter your card information.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Attempting to write politely. The OP won't go there. It would make unleashed very entertaining if they would.