• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Walking: It's what's good for you.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, new idea.

Eliminate all mounts in UO. Make everyone walk/run around on foot. This would include all of the various ethys and the chargers people are running around on.

One thing this would eliminate...mount killing. :) ...la

D

Dirty Old Man

Hi Rico,

Why no mounts lol ... Are all your prey getting away ?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not at all.

Oh, in addition, to make it "fair" the devs would need to eliminate the ability to change into forms that improved your movement speed...la

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So why is it "stupid"?...la
Stupid may be the wrong word but it certainly doesnt make much sense.

People interact more when on foot? You honestly believe that everyone moving at a same but different speed will affect interaction? Thats plain silly.

IMO this post falls into the "I miss the old days of Uo when I first started out so will propose any nonsensical idea to try and recapture those days" It aint happening pal. Get over it or move on to a desolate shard where you cant recall everywhere(ohh crap, you already did that and you are still miserable oops)

I also started playing when Uo was young and fondly remember many adventures while running to the orc fort as a noob(and many other interesting places such as the lost lands)
It was of course the most fun I ever had playing Uo but times changed, I adapted and still have fun other ways.

I have an idea ive been kicking around though. Remove all offensive weapons/spells/pets from the game and reduce everyone to walking speed. Except thieves. They should be able to steal even insured or blessed items while mounted and hide without a delay even one tile away while agressed in town.
Call it the "Rico shard" It would be strictly for players that dont care about the overall health of the game, just their own templates.

Peace :)

N

Nestorius

I say they should be made more like real animals... the terrain they can travel over should be limited (no going inside buildings!), and they should be targetaible and be able to attack while ridden. They should also sometimes throw their rider under certain circumstances, possibly causing death.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this were coupled with the elimination of gating and magical travel, you bet it would increase player interaction. Since you recall "back in the day", maybe you also remember when groups of players would travel together for safety purposes. This would be a good thing in my opinion.

Would you be forced to? Not at all...but again...this change has no alterior motive other than improving UO as a whole...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, seems the mods in UHall are quick on the draw. This is no spiel or rant. I suppose it's just too difficult for them to do their job...la

T

T_Amon_from_work

I'm stumped ... why here? Makes damn good sense in a perverted (from todays standards) way. I do recall traveling/fighting in groups if nothing else as mutual protection from a) PKs out for a score or b) masses of overland spawn.

Since B) no longer occurs (when was the last time you saw more than 2 Dire Wolves in 1 screen?) it would stil serve for a). <shrug>

K

Kiminality

I actually agree.
I remember when a horse was something that was hard to get. I used to go to the Lost Lands, tame some horses, go to WBB and sell them for 500 each.
Riding a mount used to be optional, and plenty of people played the game on foot.

What about a riding skill, that meant that riding a mount wasn't just a free action?

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting idea.

However, I don't think the masses would ever go for it. I doubt they'd even consider it for more than a nano second.

There are some of us who still travel old school style.
My chars all ride ethy mounts and I appreciate having them but my main char has zero magic.
He rides his ethy uni and sails his ship where ever he needs to go.

It can get tedious at times and I'd be lying if I said he's never hitched a gate ride somewhere.

But 90% of his travel is by the old, non magical, traditional means. With the exception being that the mount is ethy, not real.

Again, I like the idea but I think it's something that can only be a personal choice, an option decided upon by the player.

M

Mivac

I also started playing when Uo was young and fondly remember many adventures while running to the orc fort as a noob(and many other interesting places such as the lost lands)
It was of course the most fun I ever had playing Uo but times changed, I adapted and still have fun other ways.

Peace :)
Ha, I remember when Napa Valley shard opened, those were the best days of UO. Of course I played a thief (Padan Fain) for years 99% of the time.

S

skin2

Mmm, and do we really need more than one moongate per facet? If you want to leace the continent, buy a boat!

:eek:

I remember when the moongate used to send you to a city based on what the moons phases was at that moment , no one click to pick your destination

i also miss those stones for moving between fel and tram