• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Voting is Dumb

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
** originally posted in cats forum**

I never liked the idea of politics in UO.
Democracy is very messy, dirty, and not very fun when it comes down to the polictics of it.

We have to deal with it irl, but why UO?

Since we have a king in Sosaria, and i dont even see the point of democratic elections in the first place, i propose i new system.

The King appoints Magistrates / Barons / Governors (whatever you want to call the head of a city)
*this can be based off of anything really, debates, strengths, corrupt evil plans of the King, doesnt matter.

Then, an actually fun system to give everyone a fair chance, and to support actual gameplay of developed characters on the shard whos city leadership is in question.

If you do not like the decision of the king, you can "rebel" against the king's decision.

Each "rebellious faction" in oppostion to the king's decsion would have to join a guild.

Each city under "rebellion" to the king's decision would be occupied by the King's forces (invasion mob style)

The person / guild picked by the King could also defend their claim / appointment by killing npc "rebellers," which would be identical in strenth / number to the kings occupying forces.

Guild that kills the most of the King's occupying forces / Rebellion forces (determined by point value similar to Cora) would become leader of that city.

This system would promote healthy gameplay. Obviously only developed characters (not random cross shard friends / multiple householder accounts) would be able to contribute substantially to gaining points if the King's choice was in dispute.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a bad post over there, it's a bad post over here. IPY2 was working on a fun government system before they went offline...la

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Most of us are serfs anyway, regardless of which world we spend the most time in. :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a bad post over there, it's a bad post over here. IPY2 was working on a fun government system before they went offline...la
sorry, but the majority of UO players enjoy pvm, which is why this system makes alot more sense than icq battles.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My take on the city governor/citizen system is that player run cities seem to have vanished compared to the cities of the past as players disconnect more and more from one anotjet. So the devs gave the players the original cities to run and support. As per usual, the uo play base will poo on anything new until all the fun is deflated from it and then complain that there isn't anything new to do.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
afk idocs are dumb

afk dungeon sitting is dumb

multibox em eventing is dumb

trying to find out when a em event is taking place is dumb

afk farming is dumb

1m gold check duping is dumb.....

a lot of uo is proper dumb....yet happens day in day out.....

wakey frigging wakey devs.....

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
afk idocs are dumb

afk dungeon sitting is dumb

multibox em eventing is dumb

trying to find out when a em event is taking place is dumb

afk farming is dumb

1m gold check duping is dumb.....

a lot of uo is proper dumb....yet happens day in day out.....

wakey frigging wakey devs.....
you know i thought about all this shortly after i posted this here, and you know what. lol you are right. everything else in UO is exploitable, so why should voting be any different? I guess people will have to just make the best of it like the rest of us do everyday with, like you said just about every aspect of the game.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you know i thought about all this shortly after i posted this here, and you know what. lol you are right. everything else in UO is exploitable, so why should voting be any different? I guess people will have to just make the best of it like the rest of us do everyday with, like you said just about every aspect of the game.
So true...

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
looks like I'm not missing much in UO ^^

hehehe gamer talk has adapted the word "plebian" for some reason as an alternative to noob, seemingly in the last few years although the Internet suggests otherwise. either way, anyone too serious about a game concept which, really, doesn't affect non-participants too much...have some fun with this video ;)...relax