• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Volunteer Fansite Reviewers (URL Solution?)

• Thread starter Richtor Darkbane
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

Richtor Darkbane

Obviously the whole URL problem is out of control. Players create fansites because they like the game without the players you don't have a game. I think I might have a possible solution for this, but it's nothing you haven't already heard or that hasn't been suggested before.

What do we need?
1. A clearly defined set of rules for fansites.
2. A volunteer system.
3. A UO-Pro URL Page.
4. A better way of dealing with non-pro URL's in game.

---------------------------------------------------

1. The current TOS rule is vague, and understandably so, because they need to blanket cover everything associated. We need a specific defined list of content that is *NOT* acceptable, and that list needs to be updated on a regular basis. Once we have a list of unacceptable content it will make a volunteer system possible.

2. The system would be on a sign up basis, much like beta testers. Anyone interested in genuinely helping out could submit an application to volunteer (that means no prizes, no compensation, and they work when they want to in there free time, without any expect ions).

2-1. Players submit there URL for review either through the UO.com website or by adding a URL to there guild.
2-2. Volunteers are able to access a list of sites awaiting review.
2-3. Volunteers check the site in detail and then fill out a feedback form about the site that goes to someone at EA who would be the final check. This would include if the reviewer thinks the site is appropriate based on content being UO oriented, and meeting acceptable guidelines. The reviewer includes notes about any questionable content.
2-4. An EA Employee Reads the review notes and gives it a quick check-up to make sure they match up, and ultimately decides if the site is appropriate.
2-5. Accepted sites go onto a UO-Pro URL page.
2-6. Volunteers would also review this page frequently for content changes, and anytime they feel something is questionable they could flag the site for further review.
2-7. Sites not accepted would be told why, and asked to change the unacceptable content and resubmit the site for review.

URL's on the URL-Pro page would be allowed to be used in game by players without fear of getting in trouble.

3. We need a UO-Pro URL page on UO.COM in the fansite area that has a whitelist of acceptable sites.

4. Players using non-pro URL's need to be dealt with differently. Instead of suspending people, they need to be informed that the URL they are using is not approved, be given the website to submit it for review and asked to stop using it/remove it from there profile until it is approved. Most players are happy to cooperate. If they continue to use it or don't want to cooperate, then take further action and suspend them, or obviously if the site contains a malicious download, or exploit information then ya suspend them.

-----------------

Why whitelist instead of blacklist?
Because blacklisting sites won't accomplish anything, it's quite easy for the site just to change names/URLs. If you whitelist a site it must be approved each time the name/URL changes.

Just an idea.

G

Gwendar-SP

Something sure needs to be done. Someone asked the other day about the elf to human quest. I don't think the info is on stratics or my.uo but it is on uoguide. I was scared to tell the person where to get the info. This is starting to feel like "1984".

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something sure needs to be done. Someone asked the other day about the elf to human quest. I don't think the info is on stratics or my.uo but it is on uoguide. I was scared to tell the person where to get the info. This is starting to feel like "1984".

It is difficult to believe that people who play UO are entirely clueless about using search engines themselves to find info about UO, or to find a site that sells gold, or to find any other site that relates to UO.

I just typed "UO" and then "Ultima Online" into the google browser and both times UO Stratics was the fourth listed website that came up.

Shockingly, there ARE websites that help UO players that DO NOT SELL ITEMS FOR CASH PROFIT!

Like OMG how can that be?

It's so expensive to operate a website!

http://www.towerofroses.de/

I would love to operate my own website about UO but not being wealthy in real life I--- just---don't.

I sure as hell wouldn't accept ads from any UO gold sellers to help support a website about UO because it is my experience ingame that they all cheat to obtain the items/gold they sell for cash.

For those who DO choose to operate websites and are financially unable to do so without accepting ads from shady persons then you CHOSE to do that, now accept the consequences.

Maybe instead of relying on websites to find out how to do everything a few of *us could learn how to actually play the game so next time a newb needs help, we can actually help them?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interestingly enough, the Warhammer pages have fansite downloads with all kinds of stuff you can use on your website to promote the game...
Anyone seen anything of the sort for UO?

I don't think we even have a fansite program anymore do we?:sad3:

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I better way is everyone to page gm and say how do you do this because everyone it too scared that they will bet their account banded from mentioning a URL. If few hundred people do that every day the GM will stat compiling to their bosses about it.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Type UO elf quest in to goolge and several hacker sites pop up so I dont think that is a very good idea.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here. If it needs updated, somebody do it and send it to me :)

R

Richtor Darkbane

It is difficult to believe that people who play UO are entirely clueless about using search engines themselves to find info about UO, or to find a site that sells gold, or to find any other site that relates to UO.

I just typed "UO" and then "Ultima Online" into the google browser and both times UO Stratics was the fourth listed website that came up.

Shockingly, there ARE websites that help UO players that DO NOT SELL ITEMS FOR CASH PROFIT!

Like OMG how can that be?

It's so expensive to operate a website!

http://www.towerofroses.de/

I would love to operate my own website about UO but not being wealthy in real life I--- just---don't.

I sure as hell wouldn't accept ads from any UO gold sellers to help support a website about UO because it is my experience ingame that they all cheat to obtain the items/gold they sell for cash.

For those who DO choose to operate websites and are financially unable to do so without accepting ads from shady persons then you CHOSE to do that, now accept the consequences.

Maybe instead of relying on websites to find out how to do everything a few of *us could learn how to actually play the game so next time a newb needs help, we can actually help them?
Hi, if you must reply to my threads can you please try to at least stay on topic, you have a terrible habit of causing " http://i33.***********/6pow11.jpg " these to happen. This is not about how to use Google, or how to find sites to buy gold, it's about true UO fansites, and how to get them back for the UO community in a manner that follows the rules which you seem to say your so adamant about. Thanks.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is pretty clear to me

"This isn’t a blanket ban on links - links to guild websites may be just fine, for example - but most sites advertise, promote, or market something - even if it’s just running banner ads. Your safest bet is to avoid bringing the outside world into UO - if you have a website that’s UO-related (and not entirely about making someone a profit) - by all means submit it for inclusion in the fansite section of the FoF! (Remember, email jdalberg AT ea DOT com, and I'm happy to take guild recruitment ads and stuff too. Just make sure you proofread your copy, because I will only give it a quick once-over when I post it!)".

Very Clear that they will advertise for the community on the fof, but do not want it in the game itself. AS IT SHOULD BE. This blurb is from the fof.

Solution is no tolerance once your in game. IMO

R

Richtor Darkbane

But the problem is that they are considering linking to things like ICQ, and teamspeak unacceptable, because we're bringing in the outside world. No UO player makes any profit off of linking to these communication programs, its so we can communicate with one another, because as you may have noticed the ingame chat system is not good, and there is no in game instant messaging system, that half-done "mailbag" system disappeared long ago with no hope. Anyway here we are the people in the outside word coming inside UO to play a game and be part of a community, you have to expect that aspects from the outside world will be found in UO, the trick is moderating them, instead of blanket banning everything.

T

Trebr Drab

Yeah, it's not possible to play MMO's these days without ICQ and the like. :link:
:coco:

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, it's not possible to play MMO's these days without ICQ and the like.
But surely the real question isn't is it possible to play without mentioning URLs in-game, it's whether it's anything like as much fun to play when you can't refer others to websites for info, or mention messaging systems, or all those other fun things the internet offers..

Apparently, mindless rules are way more important then players enjoying themselves in the new EA/Mythic regime.

R

RoycroftLS

2. A volunteer system.
We all know how certain volunteer systems in UO have fared in the past.

But to stay on topic, yes I think your idea itself has merit, but there are a couple assumptions you are making:
2-4. An EA Employee Reads the review notes and gives it a quick check-up to make sure they match up, and ultimately decides if the site is appropriate.
This doesn't seem likely given the current state of the game. UO doesn't have it's own forums, a dedicated community representative (she has to tend to other games too), or as it's rumored even a dedicated set of GMs just for UO. Given the scarce supply of people working on UO, and how many other priorities they have, how would they fit this into their schedule?

4. Instead of suspending people, they need to be informed that the URL they are using is not approved, be given the website to submit it for review and asked to stop using it/remove it from there profile until it is approved. Most players are happy to cooperate. If they continue to use it or don't want to cooperate, then take further action and suspend them, or obviously if the site contains a malicious download, or exploit information then ya suspend them.
How many warnings would you be allowed for "bad" URLs? Plus each time a warning is to be issued, that's another time the attention of a GM is required.

I mentioned this in another thread, but what happens if someone makes a typo? Technically they said a URL that isn't on the whitelist. Do they get warned/suspended? What happens if someone registers that typo URL and makes it a malicious site? How do you separate the bad typists from the exploiters?

Ideally you do want people there to make those judgment calls, and sort out the unsuspecting/unaware people from the truly malicious. But when there aren't enough "judges" (the reason why there aren't enough is a separate discussion), the usual solution is to make the rules so that they are easily enforcable and avoid arguing over semantics.