• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Virus Protection

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello techies!

My Norton anti-virus trial ran out and I am in need of something new. Should I just go ahead and renew Norton or is there something better out there??

S

Sweeney

Techies will tell you to install Linux and not have to worry about viruses.

S

Sweeney

Linux? Is that a web browser? I use firebox.
Hmm, was that question serious? Linux is an OS ;).

But to your first question I had McAfee until a few weeks ago, and the lack of updates [By McAfee, I tried updating every day] got me infected and I had to reformat.. fun times. Running Norton now and haven't had any problems (yet).

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I cannot stand Nortons or McAfee. I have been using Avast Antivirus for the past year and a half and have loved it.. as much as one can "love" an antivirus program. :) The home edition is free to use and you have to re-register that version yearly. There is also a professional and a few other versions that can be purchased as well.

Definitely worth checking out. http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Kat Avast is the way to go for free anti-virus.

But Sweeney, it's well known that a large majority of viruses and mal-ware are written for windows. Running an alternative OS such as Linux or MacOS is a good way to stay out of the virus cross-fire, of course, so is avoiding pr0n sites.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never liked McAfee or Norton. You pay for them to be more intrusive, and neither provides quite the level of service that the free options offer. Scanners like AVG also seem to be less taxing on your system.

I'm personally a fan of AVG, but I've heard great things about Avast. I usually combine that with CCleaner, Spybot, and AdAware, and thus far I've been fine.

But Sweeney, it's well known that a large majority of viruses and mal-ware are written for windows. Running an alternative OS such as Linux or MacOS is a good way to stay out of the virus cross-fire, of course, so is avoiding pr0n sites.
...but I just can't help myself.

B

Beer_Cayse

I use AVG Free version. Also, I can get CA ezArmor and Pest Control for free as a customer of RoadRunner (TimeWarner). I use both, with the only issue being that CA has to be uninstalled and reinstalled when I update ZoneAlarm. <shrug>

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@sweeney- that was a serious question! OS, browser, same difference! :p

Thank you for all the input. At Kat's suggestion, I am going to check out Avast.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one I recommend and sell to others is malwarebytes. The free version will scan and clean, but the paid version includes an active file protection that is honestly the best I have seen out.

U

UOKaiser

Hello techies!

My Norton anti-virus trial ran out and I am in need of something new. Should I just go ahead and renew Norton or is there something better out there??
I was thinking of adding a little list of a group of programs that should be a must in the system. Any way to answer your question one good free one that I enjoy comes in a paid version but really don't need the paid version the free version does what is needed just have to run manualy hear then.
I never recommend real time protection even though it's good but the system resources are immensly used to run things like that.
Program name is SuperAntiSpyware free edition. Yep you assume it only works for spyware well it catches all types of virus pretty darn well. Updated pretty much daily.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I believe you get what you pay for. I am not a fan of either of the old school Nortons or Macaffes...

There is much better stuff out there. I use Trend Micro right now.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I would recommend kaspersky and nod32.

Kaspersky for more user friendliness, nod32 for absolute speed without compromising security.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also check with your internet provider.

Some include free anti-virus suites; these can range from just linking to a free site, to customized-to-fit-the-provider versions of Kaspersky and other free suites, to discounts on the major pay-to-use ones.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used AVG for years, the most recent version includes spyware scanning. I can't really tell you how good it is, I've not had a virus alert for about 4 years. Maybe that's more down to my browsing habits.

B

Beer_Cayse

I used to be the site support for McAfee back in the 90s and when AV stuff could actually fit on a floppy. However, IMO Norton and McAfee are not as effective as they once were ... so I've gone to the ones I currently use (AVG and CA ezArmor - they're both free).

Patty ... Trend has been around a long time and has good track record. I've heard good things about Kaspersky but have no experience with that one.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara, I believe Verizon provides McAfee and I and don't like it. I went with Avast and so far so good!

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have tried many different versions of anti-virus & anti-malware...I keep going back to Symantec products even though there are aspects I hate about them. I highly recommend checking PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com) editorial reviews of anti-malware suites. They generally are quite thorough, although they can sometimes not be the most up to date, which can be frustrating since often one year's darling is next year's lemon upon release but you don't know that until you install it! Be careful of anti-malware review links that pop up from search engine results, often they are PAID advertising sites disguised as consumer reviews.

I have my eye on an emerging product, for corporate environment: Vipre Enterprise. It still isn't "all there" yet IMO, but it looks promising, particularly in its light system footprint. There is another new one Prevx, I may consider for home use, that takes a different approach than most current products. It relies mainly on program behavior characteristics, and only downloads what it needs from the distributor site to clean up actual infections. The malware signature database is stored online. This means it is very lightweight on system resources, but also means it can't do its thing without an Internet connection.

I abandoned McAfee in both corporate and home use a while back. After trying several different releases, concluded it was just too buggy for my applications, and caused a lot of problems for me in terms of troubleshooting, although some of their enterprise data encryption and security products seem very comprehensive. Still, if you have McAfee, and it is stable for you, there is no real question that it is an effective product in the fight against malware. I had thought to make the switch to Kapersky 2 years ago, but at the last minute changed my mind and went to Norton 360. I thought Norton 360 was pretty buggy in the first release, but it got better in the 2nd, and now the 3rd release seems much more stable, although it is still something of a resource pig. Kapersky rates consistently highly, I think what eventually changed my mind about switching was their heuristic or pro-active models and actual success in removal, were less effective than Symantec in many situations. Still a user really can't go wrong with choosing any of the major providers, IMO.

As for spot checking and supplemental malware removal, I haven't found one magic bullet, and don't think anyone else has either. I use a combination of free and subscription based products, but typically only have 1 major anti-malware suite installed because they often do not play nice together and can severely impact system resources. I like TrendMicro's free online malware scanning utility, HouseCall, SpyBot Search & Destroy freeware, and SuperAntiSpyware Professional. Kapersky now offers a free online malware scan too. Please note, there are some malware products with very similar names to these valuable utilities. Make sure you only use the developer or original distributor sites to download.

Free online malware scanners:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

SpyBot Search & Destroy Freeware anti-spyware program
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

SuperAntiSpyware (subscription based anti-malware)
http://www.superantispyware.com/

-Skylark

S

Saris

No matter who you use, it is important to scan with multiple scans to get all the nasties, I have tried every damn scanner on the market, they all have the same flaw.

I got 3 r/m on my network, and you should see some of the crap the xp bbox gets :p

Any way, run whatever real time you want, it keeps a virus form breaking your box but to find them all I use bitdefender, and malwarebytes, for now.

Once again, no matter who makes your antivirus, their are nasty things ment to defeat it.

I dont use norton, only becuase its the #1 most popular, and it dont play well with other scanners.

The Key, is dont get the virus in the first place, watch what you click :p

Oh ya when all else fails, never been somthing that I could not get rid of my self,
Learn about your computer if you like to use them :p

G

gjohnson5

Hello techies!

I think PC Tools internet Security may still be giving away free 1 year licenses. Check that out