• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Villains and Brigands and Thugs...Part One

P

Pluffina

Groups of Solen hunters kept galloping past the T'Borg Tower. Lela, Fen and I had finished sorting the days Tailoring BODs, and I had a yen to put my sewing kit away and join the merry throng in a bit of Anting. Alas, a dash around the neighborhood revealed that every Ant already had a dance partner. What to do? I rooted around in my pack and came up with a Felucca Moonstone. I shrugged. Black Solen fall to a GM Tailor just as easily as the red. I dropped the stone and waited for the familiar gate to pop up. MintCup got a little balky at the glowing gate, but I gave him a dig with my heels and he minced reluctantly through.

Spooky music and a sad lack of leaves greeted me. I set to work, filling my pack with gold and pretty pink Ant Moss, a couple of binding bracelets and a picnic basket. As my pack filled, I recalled to Skara Brae to unload, then bounced back to my home in Oasis. A thirty second panicked gallop through the scorpians (MintCup loathes scorpians) and I was back in Solen country, ready for round two.

Across the river I heard the sound of a rider and paused. He came out of the tree line and for a moment our eyes met as we stared at each other across the water. He was dressed all in cool grey-blue to match his chilly eyes and on his forehead glowed the red brand of a murderer.

I turned to the East, speeding away, grateful the bridge was nowhere in sight. Once I reached the relative safety of a stand of trees, I paused, listening, but no tell-tale hoofbeats indicated I was being chased. I relaxed and kicked MintCup into an easy lope. A moment later, I came across a young man eating an apple. I hesitated again, but he smiled at me in a friendly manner and tossed me an apple too.

"Hello," I said, feeding the apple to MintCup.

He smiled a little nervously at me and said, "You'll want to be careful---there's murderers about."

"I know! I saw one!" I said. "Across the river, so I came this way."

He looked about, as if slightly alarmed, "Did they follow you?"

"No, he didn't seem too seem too interested in me," I answered.

"I wouldn't count on that," he said, and grinned. His eyes shifted to a point just behind me and he said, "Are you positive he didn't follow you?" There was a mocking lilt to his voice now, and the feigned nervousness had vanished.

I whirled around, panicked, but saw no one there. "I don't think that's funny," I said to him.

"Then you probably won't be amused by this, either," said a new voice, and the cool-eyed murderer I had seen before seemed to appear out of thin air from the shadow cast by a leafless elm. A stealther! No wonder I had heard nothing! I tried to run, but already he was chanting words of power, and a blast of mystical energy almost toppled me from Mintcup's back. I hurled my scissors at my attacker, but they bounced harmlessly off his armor, not even disturbing his concentration as he readied a spell to finish me.

As the blast threw me to the ground, I screamed "MintCup! RU-" but my life force left me before I finished the command. MintCup stood blinking at my corpse, placidly sucking on his apple as if it were a lozenge.

My ghost lingered near, watching over him, but to my relief the brigands had no interest in my mount. They turned instead to the business of dividing the spoils of my pack. Too late I noticed that both the murderer and my apple-eating friend bore the same guild insignia. AOE? I had never heard of such a guild. As they efficiently stripped away my valuables, they were joined by a third man who also bore the red brand of a murderer and wore the AOE guild sign.

The third man stared musingly down at my corpse, and then turned my body over with the toe of one boot, looking intently into my dead face, "Hold, Jharen," he said to my killer. "I know this girl from somewhere."

The young man I had met first fed the core of his apple to MintCup and laughed. "Offed a friend of yours have we, Calanthe?"

Calanthe shook his head, "No, Horizon, no friend of mine…I can't quite place her-Ah. Got it. She's one of those reporters from Stratics."

He turned away, but the man he had called Jharen was now regarding my corpse with interest. "Wait, Calanthe. Perhaps she can be useful to us." Once again he began chanting mystical words and with a sickening wrench my spirit was sucked back into my bruised body. The one called Calanthe extended a polite hand and pulled me to my feet. I was already scrabbling in my pack for my charged runebook, knowing my strong bond with MintCup would pull him to safety with me, when I felt cool steel against my wrist and heard the click of a lock. The manacles held my hands together, rending me incapable of performing the gestures needed for my recall spell to work properly.

"Excuse me, Lady" said the one called Jharen, his voice cool and civil, "but I can't have you porting off before my business with you is finished."

Calanthe gave me a boost onto Mintcup's waiting back, and Horizon took the reins, leading Mintcup through the woods to an unknown destination. The two murderers flanked me. I was ready to despair when suddenly, crashing through the bushes came a pair of knights in Valorite armor, carrying heavy rucksacks of Ant Moss and talking so loudly to each other they had not noticed our party until they were nearly upon us.

Before Horizon or one of the murderers could do anything I called out, "Quickly, I beg thee! Unlock my chains! If thou dost look at me close thou canst see them!" The knights goggled at us for a moment, hesitating, and I called out, "Have you no Compassion? No sense of Justice?"

Horizon shook his head, "I wish you had not done that," he said, grinning evilly.

"Actually, I'm rather pleased she did," said Calanthe, and with a roar he fell on upon the clostest knight, and the battle was on….

To Be Continued…

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.fennland.com/plush/main.htm>Macis Moved Plush by Pluffy</A>

D

Dor of Sonoma

<blockquote><hr>

I hurled my scissors at my attacker, but they bounced harmlessly off his armor, not even disturbing his concentration as he readied a spell to finish me.

<hr></blockquote>

Your words create great visual images.../php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

*still grinning*

M

Magus_VDS

*stands back in awe of the awesome words spewing forth from Pluff's mouth* wow... well told story, can't wait fer the next one /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

K

Kerrigan_DP

*chuckle*

me either /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

MORE! TELL US MORE!

Pretty please with chocolate chips and bubblegum ice cream on it?

D

Drewdax

Is that when you went home and pked Bob? (check other posts) Me thinks these dasterdly fellows might be a bad influence.

T

Thalia Soulrift

HAHA, I was thinking the same thing after I read Bob's post! *laughs*

L

luthian dargoth

just pray they do not try to Gate her to saftey... *kicks the stupid prisoner not gating bug*

S

Shady_Guy

Hey Pluffina,
I'm just visiting from Atlantic. Great story! I was hooked just by the title. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

D

dima2k

LOL Pluffy that's brilliant!! Hahaha.
Just one note... Full set of Valorite in Felucca? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Heheheh

B

BobMcForge

Dima,

With the changes from publish 16, I wear Val in Fel all the time (well not gorget and gloves, that'd be silly). It takes me about 20 minutes to mine enough Valorite ingots to replace my armor with double resources, if it should get killed and looted. It would take more, but my smith is comfortably over 100 now so it just doesn't take that many ingots. Losing my Val armor barely qualifies as a minor inconvenience these days.

The added armor you get is very nice, really. It's as good as invul. armor and MUCH easier to replace.

The added bonus of Val Armor is that it makes you a target. Yep, you heard right. Every now and again I will wander about waiting to be jumped by a PK. It's kind of a fun game, and val armor gives me a much better chance of getting attacked, I find.

I'm not saying I'd walk into Bucs dressed like that, but for general purposes I often wear Val in Fel.

Bob McDeath

D

dima2k

Well then... Some people would prefer not to waste stuff like that.
How do you survive the shot-in-the-leg dex loss?

P

Pony

I just want to know about this new fungus that the young lad is saying.

Is it contagious? Do we need to be careful not to catch it?

L

luthian dargoth

Yes, better was between those toes.. its some nasty stuff.

C

Calanthe

I must say, I'm very pleased they kept you alive to write this up.

one question, do you always *squoosh* at monsters when you kill them?

K

Kalnar

LOL

She was "squooshing" an ant. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

S

Syrus_Rane

pluffy i had to ask why you typed
<blockquote><hr>

&amp;^(&amp;$^(^$%

<hr></blockquote>
when you died
thats alittle harder to type than something like
agadhgadh, which is what i usually do
hehe

L

Lord Delekhan

Maybe she is cursing!?Nah her impossible right?
Is it some ancient fishing language?!
Maybe it is a new dewd symbol everyone will start saying now?

J

Jheran dSarte

Pony, I had never seen the stuff before.... I wasn't sure what it was, but I know now the correct term is Ant Moss /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Pluffy, I agree with Cal and am glad we spared you to write this up, tis an excellent account of our meeting /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

P

Pluffina

hmmmm--- That's not really ACCURATE Jharen, you REZZED me to write this up. May I point out there was not a lot of "sparing" going on. hehehehehe.

Actually I think it's called zoogi or zooggi or zoogii fungus, but Bacci coined the term Ant Moss and I liked that better. Because I know how many I's and G's go in ant moss. Which is ZERO.

SYRUS AND DEL!
&amp;^(&amp;$^(^$% IS cussing. The literal transaltion would be "OH POOP AND DERNIT RATCAKES YOU KILLED ME YOU BOOGERHEAD" but if you say "OH POOP AND DERNIT RATCAKES YOU KILLED ME YOU BOOGERHEAD" out loud and the PK happens to have Spirit Speak, they may take offense to the boogerhead part and not rez you after and then you have to STUCK OPTION or WALK or find a wandering healer and then go back and dig up your BRAIN DEAD PET who will of course still be wandering about sucking its own toes and thinking about why it scored so low on the "Do You Give Good Date" Quiz in Cosmo OR WHATEVER THEY THINK ABOUT in their teeny neeny tiny little brainpeas. SO it's better to just say "&amp;^(&amp;$^(^$%." /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I WILL POST THE SECOND HALF TOMORROW!!!! LA LA LA!

Love,
Pluffy

H

H0riz0n AoE

ooooo zoooggi fungus.. Is that like snot? instead of a boogie or a booger we have zoogies and zooogers?

B

BranWyn

my god its good to read another pluffy story again /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
WOOT !! PLUFFY ROXXERS LA

L

Lord Drakelord

Waaaaaay back.

Salty Pete won a costume contest one year dressed as Pluffina.... True story.
Now that would be a funny picture to see both of you dressed in game. She was a funny gal I always like to read her stuff here at stratics.

Polgara

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are such a gifted writer, had me hooked right from the start, can't wait to hear more.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you notice the date this is a pretty old story and sadly our Pluffy has moved on. However she is not only a gifted writer but a published author! She is currently working on her 4th novel.

Here is a link to her site if anyone is interested
http://www.joshilynjackson.com/

T

The Keeper

whoa, I saw the title and who posted and thought holy crap its pluff!

I r sad now....