• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vice vs Virtue Review

Do you agree with this assessment?

• Yes

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A better question is why was such a miserable system, which was not supported by the large majority of the Siege players, allowed on to the shard? VvV has wrecked UO for me more than anything in my years of playing. All the affected old towns are no longer worth going to as can't plan on doing anything or meeting anyone in them. The Siege governor system has also been thrown down the toilet and I certainly won't be continuing as one. Hell, even my Skara office got demolished to make way for an altar.

Bottom line us that for every one of the few remaining Siege PvPers who complain about their precious missing arties, there are several non-pvpers complaining about their missing cities. Futhermore, not every PvPer is in favour of the arties anyway.
Huh?

You chose to play a perilous shard and are now having issue because you cant just stroll around every town in complete safety? What am I missing here? You are a vet Siege player and you and your lunch date cant find one safe place to meet?
And I have to agree with Rico because I am not sure what you mean by saying the governor system is ruined and I really don't understand what you meant by saying you cant meet people anymore in a town. Meet in what way? For a quiet and safe cup of tea?

Having issue with pvp on a shard specifically designed to promote peril and pvp is a real head scratcher.

And exactly which siege players were on test checking it out and giving feedback saying they tried it but didn't support it?
Because I was on test almost daily and it was almost completely empty every day.
Although I have to admit that I could have missed the Siege players on test as they all stealth because it is a safer way to travel lol.

*shakes head*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mag there were, at one time, whole hosts of "Honor" guilds whose reason for being was to thwart anti social behavior as recognized by the game (grey and red) and they did community, even some light RP community, very well. The fact that doesn't exist today does not mean it can't again.

The RP community as a whole, shoots itself in the foot when they make attempts to set limits, not supported by any game mechanic, on skills, equipment, and behaviors.

That isn't to say it something can't be done. We didn't assign any weight to healing for years.
Ha... First off... Yes I know about those guilds... was in one. Secondly... our RP community does not tell folk what they can or can't wear or use with skills, equipment or whatever.... though we do frown on using smack talk. And finally.... NOTHING has been done in-game by the DEV's to promote actual community over selfishness and greed in so long it's not even funny anymore.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ha... First off... Yes I know about those guilds... was in one. Secondly... our RP community does not tell folk what they can or can't wear or use with skills, equipment or whatever.... though we do frown on using smack talk. And finally.... NOTHING has been done in-game by the DEV's to promote actual community over selfishness and greed in so long it's not even funny anymore.
Ive talked a lot over the years about the need to look at and support the guild structure. The mechanics of our "new" (AoS wasn't it?) guild and alliance mechanic works, but it isn't a very robust system.

The RP community may not set limits now, but there was a time when I attended hour long plus meetings where the entire topic seemed to be GM armor vs looted armor (artifacts) and what materials would be allowed. So much so that I stopped coming. I just wanted to play the game with my guild, and was not interested in investing the time with the High Council if that was the most pressing thing on the agenda. Player systems of governance have always lacked he kind of support that would make them meaningful, largely because those who play that way, and would set rules for others to follow, are such a tiny minority.

But now we are back to why there are items at EM events. Look through the thread for folks that would happily PvP for no real reward other than the activity. The two groups of folks are very much alike with regard to a passion for a particular playstyle and sometimes, a great disdain for the players that do not share that passion.

I really just desire to be an explorer/hunter, but I've made some great friends in both groups along the way.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
  • If your guild controls all 8 cities and summons the Harrower something amazing happens
This seems a good idea to attract lots of players, if you do have control of all the cities, the Harrower spawns in a place that only Guild members can get to, so they cannot be PKed by others as a rewards for controlling all the cities......

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
If you stopped 98% of the Trash talk and Humiliations that go on the chats for PVP, you would also have a lot more people playing it....

Also one big important point no one has said, is the age range, most PvPers, are lets say 12-40 If we lucky, I am sure there is older and maybe younger players that do PVP,But my point is, this game is not WoW, so the age group you are appealing to is people over the age of 40, some with worn out bones that cannot hit the keys fast enough to be even half effective against a young person, flying his fingers all over the keyboard....

This is just food for thought...

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is the discussion on how to make Vice vs Virtue better? It has turned into a debate about Siege Perilous, Test Center, how mean some PVPers can be and even role playing.

I don't see anyone talking about how to make it so a guild wants to participate as a group. That is what it should be all about and was apparently missed in the design process.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is the discussion on how to make Vice vs Virtue better? It has turned into a debate about Siege Perilous, Test Center, how mean some PVPers can be and even role playing.

I don't see anyone talking about how to make it so a guild wants to participate as a group. That is what it should be all about and was apparently missed in the design process.
That is definitely being done. Is it the whole guild all the time? No, but it is most of the guild a lot of the time.

I did discuss.

I'm just not willing to go back and do that whole faction revamp thing again. That was a miserable week and I'd rather not relive it. I think the biggest problem that inception had was going too large, in some cases literally, and trying to be too much to too many people. If this has the exact opposite problem at the moment it still seems to be working within its limited scope.

There is room to expand, and lots of ideas, almost all of them at odds with each other. Go figure.

But I am having fun with my group, and the changes seem to help us more than they hurt us. I like it. Need to rearrange my thief template a bit, so that is the new work in progress.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To make the VvV system better they have to stop forcing that bullcrap system on non pvpers. Not all of my chars can gate so I have to walk and some towns are damn large. That stupid system turns me orange all the time. I do not intend to use that system ever. It is annoying to turn me orange because I have a house in a guard zone or making Jhelom a battle ground just while I was doing a treasure chest.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The dev's "faction revamp" murdered PVP ages ago and it's not coming back. Trammies do spawns on Atlantic now during primetime. Nobody gives a crap. It's over.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My VvV experience tonight:

- First city fought an archer to a draw for 10 minutes
- Second someone I don't even know showed up and said I can have the city
- Third was no contest
- Forth was no contest
- Fifth was almost done when a stealth ninja pops out of nowhere and I die in 2 hits. He disappears and I capture the city. I am then at the bank and he pops out again. Almost no damage for the first two swings and then I am dead from 90% health. No idea how it happened. Wearing 40% DCI and 70's resists.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran

- First city fought an archer to a draw for 10 minutes
- Second someone I don't even know showed up and said I can have the city
- Third was no contest
- Forth was no contest
- Fifth was almost done when a stealth ninja pops out of nowhere and I die in 2 hits. He disappears and I capture the city. I am then at the bank and he pops out again. Almost no damage for the first two swings and then I am dead from 90% health. No idea how it happened. Wearing 40% DCI and 70's resists.
So a weekend evening, on the game's most populated shard, very shortly after the release of the system, and only 2 out of 5 "battles" even involved any combat at all.

The sad part is that our developers are probably actually surprised by this.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The dev's "faction revamp" murdered PVP ages ago and it's not coming back. Trammies do spawns on Atlantic now during primetime. Nobody gives a crap. It's over.
Agreed, well, the KILL shot they did to VvV was more to grief the player base that was enjoying it...I haven't been in game in a week and feel like I haven't missed it.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was it a necro/ninja?
Combo of Omen+corpse+nervestrike can drop you pretty fast (throw in a pain spike too).