• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet or Greater Heal

Tectop

Journeyman
Just wondering why Inotice a lot more tamers using magery,Greater heal and not , Veterinary,.seems they are having a harder time keeping pets Alive then when using vet
Like I said,was just wondering
Thanks for your time.

Superbeast

Visitor
For me, Vet takes up skill points I'd rather use elsewhere. The few added stable slots and the bandage heals aren't worth it to me. I'd rather spam GH

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering why Inotice a lot more tamers using magery,Greater heal and not , Veterinary,.seems they are having a harder time keeping pets Alive then when using vet
Thanks for your time.
With the masteries, you don't need vet as much - Consume Damage effectively makes a GD immortal against 100% physical dmg mobs.

That said, I do keep vet on a stone in case I need to res a pet, but there are very few occasions where that's an issue - EM Events come to mind if a Slasher gets used as the boss. Or if things go HORRIBLY wrong during Shadowguard. If I have to do any healing now, I'll either let the mastery run, use gheal, or cast Gift of Renewal.

Back in the day, I used both GHeal and Vet to keep pets alive, but there were certain things I'd absolutely refuse to solo, like Paragon Lich Lord/Balron/Ancient Wyrm.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for your time.
Mostly it is because of getting auto targeted when Vetting. Vetting is quicker than GH and heals more points but you risk getting targeted.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I run 90 vet just so that I can rez and have uber-healing in the event I need to call my pet over and heal him up quickly. Otherwise, I am generally using Greater Heals.

I find that using Gift of Renewal from Spellweaving helps too... especially at the end of a bosses life, so that you can focus on spell casting against the boss instead of having to worry about healing pet.

The other comments made about the new Animal Taming masteries all ring true as well... with Consume Damage, your pet leaches back a lot of Physical Damage and can hold it's own much better than they used to. However, you need a Level 3 primer for this, and the Animal Taming primers are pricey. It also uses up a lot of mana, even at 120/120 taming and lore. So you can't fully rely on this if you don't have 120 natural taming and/or high mana regeneration. Just something to keep in mind.

In short, you have a lot of ways to keep your pet alive. Pick a combination of those suggestions and I'm sure you'll do fine.