• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet Age Token...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What Goodman said:
Can we get the ball rolling on this? I would like to age some of my accounts up, take my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......................
What EA sees:

take my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......................
Great, now we are going to get a subscription fee increase....:)

But at least it will come with more and better customer service....

Oh look......EA just added a token to buy a bridge in Brooklyn....

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has already been asked to them and they have replied
From the Devs
2013 Feb 11 17:08 GMT
We have another Ask and Answer for you and this one is full of great ideas that will help us to make Ultima Online even better. So go to your favorite fan site and submit those questions and ideas. We may even feature yours next week!

Has it ever been discussed to offer a way to purchase veteran account status for newer accounts? If so, is it something being considered and to what extent? Spending say $100 to make a new account 5 years old might be worth while to some individuals. Or, say, $500 for 10 years. Just spit-balling prices but you get the point. (Quintus Batiatus)

Mesanna: We have discussed this several times due to the fact we want all players to be equal but we also want to honor our Vets, the people that have stayed with us for so long. So yes we are still kicking this subject around.

Continue reading...
So doubt it will happen...

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will get my shard shields late this year. Newest acc of three is seven years. I have lots of rewards to pick and never have to wait very long for anything after it comes out. My chars rides etheral horses and lamas. Couldnt resist to pick a boura as they are so cute, but I think its a backdraw its a show off item. So I have no own interest in this, but dont mind if others can have what I have or better. Changes nothing for me.

We old vets didnt have to wait very long for anything after it came out. We got the items for free. And I doubt anyone played just for vet rewards? We played because we enjoyed the game, and I feel sorry for thoose that wasnt able to play earlier like us. I think we had our bonuses .

A new player cant dye his leather armour for two years. A new scribe has to sell ugly brown runebooks for years before he can dye them. A newer player being lucky to join a guild of older players will have to run by foot after the first death every hunt and it is ambarrassing . I once had a guild leader in that situation! A guildleader low of age in game ,creating a virtue guild cant place an ahkh in the guild house? If he put ownership on someone else for placing hes stuck with the placement and location of ankh .Too much hazzle to change anything..

The mount issue for new players seems to get solved in the future , makes me really happy. I know there are chargers already but way too expensive for beginners who need so many things.

We shouldnt be jealous if newer players could buy and use the items veterans get for free. This should make aging of accounts less important.

If its important for some people to show how long they played leave some fancy mounts just ridable by them, no big deal, but dont have a new player waiting for 10+ years to be able to get the other things. Vets never waited 10 years for anything.

This we could so easily let them have, its disheartening enough they missed all the fun and history of UO due to lack of age or income or equipment ..or knowledge about this.. And we need them, we should think about that.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I jack up one account 5 years, do you think they should create 16 - 20 year vet rewards also? Want to be older? Take up smoking, drinking and rec drugs. I hear they add years.

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me --//////) U

Last edited:

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
"Mesanna: We have discussed this several times due to the fact we want all players to be equal but we also want to honor our Vets, the people that have stayed with us for so long. So yes we are still kicking this subject around."

Well.. You have done a great job honoring your Vets throughout the years. The 15 year reward is a perfect example of an item which allows a Vet to receive something which properly rewards their 15 years of dedicated gameplay. I will also say you have done very well in years 1-13 (moving the horse to year 1 was a solid move). But, you blew it on year 14. The shard shields are too large of an advantage. You also say you are not in favor of people selling gold or items for cash but you then create something which allows them to do so with no discomfort.

I say you do one of three things...

1- Allow people to buy tokens to age their accounts (from a business standpoint an influx in cash could allow you to better improve the game which could increase its life as well as attract some new/returning players)

or

2- Give everyone back their 14th year picks, delete the shard shields, and create a new more appropriate item

or

3- Sell in the EA store an exact copy of the shard token for $1. I think players can justify spending $2 to do a shopping run to a different shard. Asking them to spend $40 buying two full transfer tokens is crazy.

If you cannot see how players after year 10 or so save every single reward pick awaiting year 14 then you have your head in the sand on the negative impact / positive impact the shard shields have on the "have nots" v. the "haves."

BG

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mylady Foxglove is right as usual. There are a lot of veteran rewards which should be more widely available.

I won't think, though, that paying RL money for ageing-up would be the right way to go. Let's have ways in-game to earn these rewards. Use the loyalty or clean-up systems in more ways, or expand the BOD system. Just a few examples: to get the robes and cloaks, have a clean-up system for tailors, for the statues have one for thieves, reward tinkers with the dye tubs, and so on. This would make training skills more fun and rewarding and the systems are already there and only need tweaking. Have the necessary work to put in quite high, and the items will still remain a certain value.

There should always be items reserved exclusively for vets and the ones awarded through other means could be marked as such (like the library items being "replicas"), and no vet would feel cheated and a lot of newer players will have something to look forward to while grinding through boring stuff.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
befreind somone who is a long time player and all your stuff can get dyed. As for everything else being a vet has it rewards leave it at that. As it is every new player is about to get a Charger - I believe its BS but hey.

Iy you already have a vet account and just want more stuff - :sad3:

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, which reminds me: if vet rewards could be rewards for in-game work, they surely have to be one-offs, meaning, each can only be available once for a character, account, whatever. Otherwise you'll have the sweat-shop players flooding the market with them. Thus you'll give everybody the chance to own something but prevent excessive trading and devaluating.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the turn in thought. We already have the trash can points. As far as those vet rewards just taking up space. Add turn in items to the list from vet rewards. Just make it where an account can only turn in one of an item. One of a wolf statue, bronze cloak and one valorite robe and that account is covered for those items. Kinda hard to just toss and item that noone wants to buy that is a mighty vet reward. Even more so the reason a seperate turn in for points to earn back a vet pick or new short list of items. Sweet high point uber deco item like a gypsy wagon art over the garden shed would at least make a Bronze Cloak chatch a fair price.

Ya the shard shields was a bad ideal from the point of view from the wallet. What is going to happen in the future? UO is doing very well and jack up monthly rates to cover trans token failing sales as accounts age? UO doing badly and EA stands on the players foot and fires off a shot by installing gates that cross more then servers lines? Get rid of them or put them on the store in a replica form that eat gold everyday to keep the timer rolling. That would be an expensive gold sink hitting the wallet and coin purse.

If a vet reward is a sweet deco for the house or makes a bank sitters account age obvious then your on the right track. Things like a 20 year vet quiver that adds 2 spaces to archers weapon ranges is not. Want to do something silly crazy? Make 16th year vet choice a recipe for my tink to make those enhancing forge tool. Once a month crafting cycle per account is a fair balance. Got talk to one the F2P game runners on how to create vet rewards and stock your store with pixel crack. Lets see. We can create an in game item that will let players run less accounts to experience more of what the game offers and call it a Soulstone.

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
befreind somone who is a long time player and all your stuff can get dyed. As for everything else being a vet has it rewards leave it at that. As it is every new player is about to get a Charger - I believe its BS but hey.

Iy you already have a vet account and just want more stuff - :sad3:
Funny thing... In my circle on Catskills, it has become fashionable to ride a real animal cause it's gotten so rare to actually see a real bonded animal being ridden.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is not a swampy or beetle. To bad in the monster vs player race. My pair of nightmare are only good for light leather gathering while I ride my black horse.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now guys I can see the small upgrade if the account is paid in full for say a 6 month or 1 year sub to UO.. the ability to go to the first tier of rewards... You have to admit many "new players" we want to keep in game and if this goes in it might be the glue to hold them till the drug takes effect... (the UO drug is effective in 99% of the cases)
Seriously we need he bodys in game... if it takes the small first tier if gifts to get them to stay in and play I'm all for it. Have you really looked at what is in the first year of vet rewards? it is not much. Most of us have older accounts and rightly so have the more advanced gifts... but I will say those of us who also have a side account not up to age its a pain in the tush to get out a second account and dye that stuff. hehe

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Can we get the ball rolling on this? I would like to age some of my accounts up, take my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......................
I hope not, Vet rewards should be for vets. Sure I have younger accounts too but I did not play as many years for this acounts, so it's all fine, that only one account is 15 years and only one is 14 years and the rest is younger.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you should be able to age your account to what it would be had you played since the creation date. But a 1 day old account account shouldn't become a 15 year.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you should be able to age your account to what it would be had you played since the creation date. But a 1 day old account account shouldn't become a 15 year.
So they should wait until the year 2028 to get fifteeen year status? UO is losing many customers bc of this reason. I know several people who are intrigued by this game but say "I do not want to wait to long to get the status everyone else has" so they just go to the next mmo. I think most of the people who will be against this is the people who can't afford it with real life $. If you start saving now i think you can make the $
1. Creates more $ for EA
2. Brings more players to UO
WIN WIN

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they should allow this. For one we all know this game could use some more income for better upgrades or just to keep her going longer.

My idea would be to implement as stated a token to age your account one year and you could buy as many as you want to reach the desired age (up to the games age/ maybe one year less to please the vets.. Whatever). Price to be determined....When you do this and use the token your account will age the one year but you will not get the added picks as you would normally aging but will have access to all the higher tier rewards for that year. Your picks would only go up as they do now per year paid active. So people with one year accounts cant buy to 15 year and have 20+picks, they would only have the picks they would for that first year(what is it 3 per year?). This way it wouldnt cause an influx in items and would only allow these accounts to use the higher tier rewards and pick with the limited picks they get from the true year their accounts are aged. Now for the TRUE VETS, it would make it alot easier to sell their high vet tier rewards to players that had to buy to get to a high year account since they dont have all the number of picks the true vets would have.

I think this would be a great addition to our game as in terms of bringing revenue and making alot of other players happy, Sure there will be those Vets that will be resentful of this even though the way i presented this with limited picks per true year could earn the vets some extra gold selling there rewards..... but overall i think there will be more positive out of this than not and if someone quits over this......well they have other issues ;)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they should allow this. For one we all know this game could use some more income for better upgrades or just to keep her going longer.

My idea would be to implement as stated a token to age your account one year and you could buy as many as you want to reach the desired age (up to the games age/ maybe one year less to please the vets.. Whatever). Price to be determined....When you do this and use the token your account will age the one year but you will not get the added picks as you would normally aging but will have access to all the higher tier rewards for that year. Your picks would only go up as they do now per year paid active. So people with one year accounts cant buy to 15 year and have 20+picks, they would only have the picks they would for that first year(what is it 3 per year?). This way it wouldnt cause an influx in items and would only allow these accounts to use the higher tier rewards and pick with the limited picks they get from the true year their accounts are aged. Now for the TRUE VETS, it would make it alot easier to sell their high vet tier rewards to players that had to buy to get to a high year account since they dont have all the number of picks the true vets would have.

I think this would be a great addition to our game as in terms of bringing revenue and making alot of other players happy, Sure there will be those Vets that will be resentful of this even though the way i presented this with limited picks per true year could earn the vets some extra gold selling there rewards..... but overall i think there will be more positive out of this than not and if someone quits over this......well they have other issues ;)
Good idea but if i'm plunking down $ I want the picks otherwise i don't think people are paying $ for just account age. It's just like anything in life if you have the $ you can get what you want. Another side note since they derailed the official account transfer program I am seeing a lot of people get scammed bc they are wanting older accounts but there is no "safe" way to obtain them. Age tokens would relieve this problem for most returning vets coming back that want older accounts.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Forget the "Account Age Token" just let an account age to what ever 30, 90 or 6 mo code you apply at the time it is applied. We all know how well the Account Age Program works. You apply a 6 mo code and your account ages 6 mo and if it kicks you to a Vet Reward, no biggie. Now if someone is willing to shell out the cash and buy X# of 6 mo codes then that is thier choice and they need to understand that UO may or may not be there for them to play. You take your chance.

There is nothing in the Vet Reward System that is a game changing item, even the Shard Shields. Will it hurt your Game Play by letting someone pick the same Vet Rewards as you, NO. Is it going to stop you from PvPing, PvMing or whatever you want to do, NO. I am not talking about people showing off thier rewards (look at what I have), I am talking about Game Play. Yes I earned my Vet Rewards by and only by paying my subs every mo, EA could have cared less if I logged or not as long as I payed. That is the only thing that counts toward Vet Rewards, $$$. Yes you may have logged in and played, thus getting some return for your $$$ but it was not a requirement to do so, your accounts still aged and you still got your Vet Rewards.

IMHO this boils down to 2 things
  1. Doing what is right for all UO players.
  2. Vainity.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant find any reasons to justify this. Ive earned my years on my accounts - and I want them to be able to ride their special pets and use their veteran rewards because I earned it, not because i paid $$$ for a shortcut.
Well, if this is made available, you will still be able to use your veteran rewards because you earned them, not because you paid for a shortcut.

Your argument could be used for a lot of additions to the game:
Against SoTs and Alacrity Scrolls because I had to earn each 0.1 skill gain, not have a scroll handed to me or bought as a shortcut.
Against Forged Metal Tool (100% enhance chance) because I had to make my equipment burning through X kits, not because I paid $$$ for a shortcut

Although I doubt I would shell out money to advance any account I own, I do not begrudge others from doing so...its not like they will receive anything which will detract from my gameplay, and my own self worth is not so greatly affected by me having an item in Ultima Online that others cannot have.

NOTE:

I also polled my extended family, and once I explained to most of them what Ultima Online and Vet Rewards were and how they currently work, they all felt that should I not be able to ride an ethereal boura, they would not think any less of me, and did not think less of me for not being able to own a Gardening Shed in an online game. Then again, maybe I have an exceptional family. Oh, and my nieces twin 2 year old daughters made me cycle through all the pets in my stables so they could see them all....and they want their mom to buy them a vollum. :)

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good idea but if i'm plunking down $ I want the picks otherwise i don't think people are paying $ for just account age. It's just like anything in life if you have the $ you can get what you want. Another side note since they derailed the official account transfer program I am seeing a lot of people get scammed bc they are wanting older accounts but there is no "safe" way to obtain them. Age tokens would relieve this problem for most returning vets coming back that want older accounts.
Well not really just paying money for age/ more like paying money for age and use of items associated with the age which is the biggie. But hey my idea can be improved on or changed a bit but i think its a really good start.

Oh and i completely agree with you on the account trading thing.....why the hell they got rid of the account transfer program is beyond me and it was just last week i saw someone complaining that a guy on Atl just took their money and didnt give them an account at all so YES implementing the token age system could very well put a dent on those scammers as most people i have seen just want the age and dont care too much that the account already has characters and skills.
***DEVS you do know that these people that get scammed out of 10 there are a few that quit this game completely from it and this is one area you CAN prevent a few scams and keep those people here that leave from the said scams! :scholar:

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one token I will be forking out cash for if it ever becomes available.

However, if it's implemented without the additional choices as someone suggested then it defeats the entire purpose and I'm going to pass.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is one token I will be forking out cash for if it ever becomes available.

However, if it's implemented without the additional choices as someone suggested then it defeats the entire purpose and I'm going to pass.
If ur referring to my post on this. It wasnt the additional choices you wouldnt get as you could pick any reward a 14 or 15 year account could if u upgraded that high, only the number picks u get each year. So if your only truly a one year account and you pay to get upgraded to 14 or 15 year account, you would only get to keep your 3 or 4 picks (forgot how many u get a year) Instead of getting the whatever number of picks you would get as a true vet would by waiting the 14 or 15 years if they hadnt picked anything yet that number would be pretty high (over 40 picks est/noone needs 40 picks lol well i take that back some deco crazies do ;) ) and then we would have a flood of reward items. By going the way i suggested then any new account upgrading to a 15 year account would only get to pick the 3 or 4 rewards they want from the list or whatever the amount of picks they had left before upgrading, and not get to pick 40 of them to sell or whatnot. However if you bought the tokens to upgrade your account to year 15 and you were a one year account to begin with then you will still get each year you actively pay for your account another 3 or 4 picks but you can choose any of the 15 year rewards with those still. Hopefully that clears it up. :)

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If ur referring to my post on this. It wasnt the additional choices you wouldnt get as you could pick any reward a 14 or 15 year account could if u upgraded that high, only the number picks u get each year. So if your only truly a one year account and you pay to get upgraded to 14 or 15 year account, you would only get to keep your 3 or 4 picks (forgot how many u get a year) Instead of getting the whatever number of picks you would get as a true vet would by waiting the 14 or 15 years if they hadnt picked anything yet that number would be pretty high (over 40 picks est/noone needs 40 picks lol well i take that back some deco crazies do ;) ) and then we would have a flood of reward items. By going the way i suggested then any new account upgrading to a 15 year account would only get to pick the 3 or 4 rewards they want from the list or whatever the amount of picks they had left before upgrading, and not get to pick 40 of them to sell or whatnot. However if you bought the tokens to upgrade your account to year 15 and you were a one year account to begin with then you will still get each year you actively pay for your account another 3 or 4 picks but you can choose any of the 15 year rewards with those still. Hopefully that clears it up. :)
Yeah that's a terrible idea imnsho.:p

If I'm going to fork out the cash for it make it worthwhile.

Another token that should be available at the UOStore to generate revenue is a "UO Veteran Choices" that offers you 2-3 more veteran picks.

There are many ways they could generate more revenue for Ultima Online and add some solvency to the game if they wanted to.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think that two ways are not too problematic:
Make a possibility available to accounts, which missed payments inbetween, to fill the gap to their real account age.
Add paid game time immediately to account age, so if you apply 4 game time codes a 6 month to your account, it would become 2 years older for the vet reward system as long as the account is younger than the oldest selection (currently 15 years).

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Honestly, if you're against this I can't help thinking less of you. "This would have no effect on me, but other people would have things and that would make me mad!"

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have two accts. One is just over 2 years and the other is just under 2 years. the ethy mount issue was a problem at first, but I have chargers now. They were too expensive, frankly.

I can "use" Davy's locker, but not a seed box or a runebook dying tub. Where is the logic in that? It's one thing not to give something to someone and quite another not to let them even use it.
Afraid young players with access to seed organizers and colored runebooks will unbalance pvp?

I remember my first year. Many kind vendors place a commodity deed box for public use. Only those with accounts under 1 year are not able to use it.

I don't want to begrudge anyone of anything, but at least let younger players use some of these items like dye tubs, seed, and commodity deed boxes.

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no surprise that some will be against such an idea.

I am one for it because if content is not available to all players new or old which includes vet rewards then UO wont be here for another 15 years. Times have changed and a vet reward which may been a good idea at the beginning to "keep" players around to obtain rewards doesn't work now. Big deal a new player pays for a token to be able to get the rewards. I would think that the community would rather have new players playing filling up the shards again rather than not havingonly tiny fraction of trickling new players in from time to time.

MMO's have changed and the market is huge compared to when UO was first released. Not like you have 2 or 3 to choose you have literally 100's to 1000's of games to choose from now. You can achieve items in other MMO's just as easily as a person who has played for 2 to 5 years ahead of you. GW1 gave a kind of vet reward simlar to UO. A mini pet was the present. So each character not account age when created recieved a present after a year. So if you created one character in Oct and decided to create another charcter in Jan the character in Oct would get their gift a year later in Oct and the other in Jan a year later. Then each year after that they would recieve their present the date they were created.

Oh well I guess vainglory wins if somthing like this isn't implemented. I think the UO dev team would be fair to all the old vets and may add new rewards to be chosen and just let the old vet rewards be available to everybody but again that is giving into vainglory.

So which is most important, vet rewards or new players?

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can achieve items in other MMO's just as easily as a person who has played for 2 to 5 years ahead of you.
No, you can't - i.e. in LotRO you got also incentives for early purchases or anniversary gifts (if your account was there at the time) or store items - account bound, so that these cannot even be purchased from players.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1- Allow people to buy tokens to age their accounts (from a business standpoint an influx in cash could allow you to better improve the game which could increase its life as well as attract some new/returning players)
I am against allowing players to purchase older age active account for their subscriptions, and for a very good reason, IMHO. I think that with online multiplayer games, one of the problems is with players trying out games for a while and then move elsewhere, to other games. That is, I feel, players are on average more likely to hop from one game to another rather than stay with a game over the years, over many years. Having a good program like Ultima Online has for Veteran Players, means giving to players another good reason to maintain their account as active and thus stay as a customer over the years. Allowing players to purchase older active age for their accounts would just destroy all this as it would allow players to just move on to other games because even if they decide to come back to UO, eventually, years after, they would know that they will be able to purchase older active age for their accounts. No thanks. There does is a way to maintain one's own account active age running, and that is maintaining one's own account as active EVEN WHEN ONE MOVES ON TO OTHER GAMES TO PLAY. I do not think that players who did not go through supporting UO over the years should be allowed to jump age their account active age UNLESS they spent the same amount which a Veteran paid over the years. Which would be, 120 dollars (10 dollars times 12 months) per every year that the account is aged....... Never played UO and want a 15 years old active account ? IMHO the cost should be 120 x 15 = 1,800 dollars..... That's at least as I see it.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know several people who are intrigued by this game but say "I do not want to wait to long to get the status everyone else has" so they just go to the next mmo.
What "status" that everyone else has? It's not like everyone already playing the game is an 'x' year vet - it's all over the map. So either you're BSing us, or they're not really all that interested and they're BSing you.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is not about the vet rewards in my opinion. It is the skill cap.
A 2% difference in the skill cap? If that's keeping people from playing, they're (IMO) already so marginally interested that they're unlikely to stay even if they do play.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets see then. $12.99 a month times by 180 months = $2338 (sure might work out cheaper if paying once per 6 months).

Pricing is going to be the big issue here if they do release some kind of vet token.

What would you consider a good price to pay? $1000 for a 15yr instant vet account?

Something could do with some adjustment. I mean waiting 4 / 5 years to dye a runebook and use some dye tubs is a bit of a joke now.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets see then. $12.99 a month times by 180 months = $2338 (sure might work out cheaper if paying once per 6 months).

Pricing is going to be the big issue here if they do release some kind of vet token.

What would you consider a good price to pay? $1000 for a 15yr instant vet account?

Something could do with some adjustment. I mean waiting 4 / 5 years to dye a runebook and use some dye tubs is a bit of a joke now.
Sorry Djad but that argument doesn't hold water. Your received monthly gametime as a result of your $12.99 or 15 years of gameplay.

Veteran rewards is a totally seperate issue vs. gametime you paid for.

Veterans should have not huge advantages and benefits over other players besides what they worked for in-game.

The advantage a veteran player has over a younger player is that they have more choices being that they are older.

The bottom line is the Veteran reward program is anitquated and blows doors.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of you think the Dev would be so silly to let this add years to a new account?
I think if a new account was able to purchase a tolken for advancement to a 3rd year lvl this would be fine ... BUT only for a below 3rd year age account.

As for the rest of you who are sitting on a 12 year* account with say only a 4 or 5th year vet reward list...now that i can see you yipping about. Ok I am not a fan of that pay you earn age bit. Just maintaining all my accounts there have been years where I have skipped a few months due to other finacial reasons and I for one think they should update to the true age of an account not just the play time. Now that might suffice most of you. But let me make this clear.... in no way do I support adding years you did not own the account to do aging just to get a reward. *this age is just for example only

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of you think the Dev would be so silly to let this add years to a new account?
I think if a new account was able to purchase a tolken for advancement to a 3rd year lvl this would be fine ... BUT only for a below 3rd year age account.

As for the rest of you who are sitting on a 12 year* account with say only a 4 or 5th year vet reward list...now that i can see you yipping about. Ok I am not a fan of that pay you earn age bit. Just maintaining all my accounts there have been years where I have skipped a few months due to other finacial reasons and I for one think they should update to the true age of an account not just the play time. Now that might suffice most of you. But let me make this clear.... in no way do I support adding years you did not own the account to do aging just to get a reward. *this age is just for example only
Why 3rd year? Didn't they drop the ethereal requirements?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I beleave they did on first year rides but the dye tubs no I still get the message not old enough on younger accounts i have... silly thing that. I'd remove the use age bit off them as well and ethys.... if you got one why limit it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Veteran rewards is a totally seperate issue vs. gametime you paid for.
Sorry but you are wrong. Your Vet Reward is directly tied to the amount of game time you have paid for or your account would not have aged. You can not have a 15 yr Vet Account without paying your subs for 15 yrs. You do not have to log in or anything else but pay $$$ to UO for your sub to have a 15 yr Vet Account. Vet Rewards are given to UO players for paying thier sub. You do not pay, your account does not age and you do not get any rewards. You pay your subs, your account ages and your account gets credited with rewards and if you notice I never mentioned that you had to log in to get the credit, just pay. You payed $120 a yr for 15 yrs there is no reason why someone else can't pay the same amount and have the same thing. NO DISCOUNTS ALLOWED.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

They must pay the same price the rest of us paid or I vote NO. I paid for 15 yrs and recieved my rewards and I would have no problem with anybody aging thier account for the same amount. NO DISCOUNTS ALLOWED.

Forget the "Account Age Token" just let an account age to what ever 30, 90 or 6 mo code you apply at the time it is applied. We all know how well the Account Age Program works. You apply a 6 mo code and your account ages 6 mo and if it kicks you to a Vet Reward, no biggie. Now if someone is willing to shell out the cash and buy X# of 6 mo codes then that is thier choice and they need to understand that UO may or may not be there for them to play. You take your chance.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that the Veteran Rewards are tied to game time is exactly why there is a call for change. You paid for gametime! You did not pay for Veteran rewards! That fact that you think your are entitled to anything besides gametime is ludicrous!

"they must pay the same as I did" :violin:. You paid for your game time not veteran rewards...cry me a river! :sad2:

How about an account bound token at the store that will allow you to buy 1 veteran reward your choice no strings attached? Cry More?

This will generate revenue for the game. Appease players who don't have access to High End Veteran Rewards and leave the veteran reward system as it is.

Or

How about a revamp of the system breaking the Veteran Programs into Tiers.

0- 12 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 1Veteran Rewards (Years 1-3)
13-24 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 2 Veteran Rewards (Years1-6)
25-36 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 3 Veteran Rewards (Years1-9)
37-48 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 5 Veteran Rewards (Years 9-12)
49-60 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 2 Veteran Rewards (Years13-15)

The fact that the system was set up year by year is exactly why people are saying it's needs changing. It's unfair to a large portion of the paying playerbase.

Poor me I may die in my sleep tonight and never had a chance to ride a Boura statuette like I've always dreamed of.

So sad...too bad.:next:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, as I and others have stated before, most of the vet rewards do not offer any significant advantage to players and are not necessary for gameplay, but yes, they are nice to have. When people started playing in 1997, they played without any ethereal mounts, without lockers, etc so it can be done. But how about a compromise? Let young players get some sort of ability to buy old vet rewards, but instead of the cash going to EA, the money should be given to the veteran players. You could even make it an in-game solution, where veteran crafters could be given recipes to craft the rewards and sell them for cash to younger players...it's a win-win situation ;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fact that the Veteran Rewards are tied to game time is exactly why there is a call for change. You paid for gametime! You did not pay for Veteran rewards! That fact that you think your are entitled to anything besides gametime is ludicrous!
You did pay for Vet Rewards because Vet Rewards are tied to Account age and the only way to age your account is to buy gametime. And no matter if you like it or not that is the way UO set it up.
"they must pay the same as I did" :violin:. You paid for your game time not veteran rewards...cry me a river! :sad2:
Yes they need to pay the same if they want to age thier account. Why should they get the same at a discount?

How about an account bound token at the store that will allow you to buy 1 veteran reward your choice no strings attached? Cry More?
The token will not work because thier will not be old enough to use it.

This will generate revenue for the game. Appease players who don't have access to High End Veteran Rewards and leave the veteran reward system as it is.
Allowing players to age thier account by applying gametime to thier account and having all accounts age at the time gametime is applied will make UO more money and the accounts will be old enough to use any Vet Reward they can pick. It also does away with the Account Age Program and we all know how well that works.

Or

How about a revamp of the system breaking the Veteran Programs into Tiers.

0- 12 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 1Veteran Rewards (Years 1-3)
13-24 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 2 Veteran Rewards (Years1-6)
25-36 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 3 Veteran Rewards (Years1-9)
37-48 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 5 Veteran Rewards (Years 9-12)
49-60 Month players Can use and redeem Tier 2 Veteran Rewards (Years13-15)

The fact that the system was set up year by year is exactly why people are saying it's needs changing. It's unfair to a large portion of the paying playerbase.
This does not fix the main problem with account age. That is what this is all about. I have yet to hear anybody say it is because it is set up on a year to year system. They are saying they are not ols enough to use XYZ Vet Reward please let us age our accounts.

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
move the 720 skill cap down from 4 years to 2 years.

allow new accounts (less than 2 years old) buy up to two years in advance.
allow accounts over two years old to buy the missing months (cover the lapse in payments) up to a max from the account creation date.

imo i do not think it is right to allow a totally new player to buy say, 15 years status, VET's should at least be treated with some thanks for sticking around so long, and allowing brand new players all of the options on a plate on day one, mmm feels slightly unfair.

on the other hand, letting them get the 720 skill cap early, or even on day one for a fee, is my eyes is priceless.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have accounts that already trail a couple of years behind their age simply because I took breaks from UO. So I do tend to curse vet rewards that I could be eligible for, but they aren't items I need, just a thank you for having an active account for x years. I'm ok with that.

I think hey, it'll be great if UO is around and I can get a 15 year award. But in the meantime I totally oppose these tokens, we have enough instant gratification. A token would instantly make them meaningless. At most give non vets replicas of some rewards if they are so impatient. But leave the real rewards to the players who have supported UO for many years. It's a lot of money once you pass a few years, crazy once you pass 10 yrs. The very least those players deserve is a vet reward that can't be bought. I'm not sure UO will be around for me to get a 15 yr reward, but if it dies sooner, the vet reward is the least of my concerns.

The thing is, in UO, like RL, there are things we want and can't have yet. We can get all frustrated over that, or put it in context and deal with it. I deal with it. If I can't have rewards past a certain age I don't really look at them seriously beyond reading publish notes. There's no point fussing and trying to demand them early, or feeling envy. Once I can have the pick, then I can get excited and enjoy them. But then I often just buy the reward to avoid using up my choices, lol.

Tl,dr - no to tokens, maybe replicas instead.

Wenchy

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
A 2% difference in the skill cap? If that's keeping people from playing, they're (IMO) already so marginally interested that they're unlikely to stay even if they do play.
Do not harsh on my spreadsheet! Every point counts. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.