• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Vesper Fishing Open - Fishing Contest - September 2015

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ladies and Gentlemen. Governor Anna Goodward of Vesper, the Vesper Trading Company and the Europa Chicken League are proud to present the September "Vesper Fishing Open". We hope this event will be a monthly occurrence in the future.

Catch Window : Tuesday September 1st till Sunday 27th of September
Weigh-In Event : TBC
Turn in location : Swaggers Tavern, Vesper. Exact location to follow shortly.

This first event will have two categories:
Legendary Deep Water Fish (Black Marlin, Blue Marlin, Giant Samurai Fish, Golden Tuna, Kingfish, Stone Fish)
Legendary Shore Fish (Spring Dragonfish, Zombie Fish)

Each category will carry its own set of prizes for the top three heaviest fish.

1st place: 10m
2nd Place: 5m
3rd place: 2m

Rules:

You can submit as many fish as you like, though you can only place once in each category (i.e you could win 1st place in both deep water and shore fish, but could not win 1st and 2nd in deep water). Please ensure the fish you submit shows your name, weight and catch date.

Only fish submitted to the official mail box drop off, during the catch window, are eligible to win

Only fish dated during the catch window (1st through 27th September) count.

The record weights will be reset each month. But a "log of champions" will be maintained.

The judges decision is final.

I believe this covers everything. Any questions, please, feel free to contact me in game or below.

Tommy, Europa Chicken League Host, Vesper Trading Company

Anna Goodward, Governor Vesper, Vesper Trading Company

Last edited:

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A 272 stone Giant barracude is NEVER going to fit in there Tommy!! It's a mailbox not the Tardis!!

Reactions: Vor

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, but... err... it's... magic! Yes! Magic.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The first entries have been dropped off! Still three weeks to go.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a couple of fish to drop off - but they'll only win if they're the only fish in that category. They're not very big.

Sienus UO Europa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been working overtime on this too, thanks for setting up the event. Caught my first ever Golden Tuna........ 20 stones....... not sure if I'm playing UO or UO is playing me :)

Question while I'm posting.... if I enter a fish do I get it back at the end of the competition? Reason I ask is that I caught a bigger one first, but that's my first ever Giant Samurai - in fact, my first ever legendary catch in UO, and I'd quite like to frame him when this is all over.
Ta!

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you wish the fish returned then that's fine. Just put the fish in a bag with a book that has your forum name or ICQ no. so I can contact you afterwards.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This ends on Sunday. Get those fishes entered soon.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has a date for the event been determined yet? I can add it to the calendar once decided!

Tight lines :]

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has a date for the event been determined yet? I can add it to the calendar once decided!

Tight lines :]
It's been all this month up to and including the 27th - it's in the original post :) any of the listed fish caught during the relevant period can be submitted for consideration... if you succeed in catching one... which I so far haven't :oops:

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catch Window : Tuesday September 1st till Sunday 27th of September
Weigh-In Event : TBC
Turn in location : Swaggers Tavern, Vesper. Exact location to follow shortly.
Is why I asked because of the TBC? I didn't see an update. Apologies if I'm missing something.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 magical fish finders, 100 Kingfish bait and many hours later, I failed to land any of the appropriate fish, but good luck to the other participants!

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My ship was scuttled and robbed clean, many shoes were rehomed and Vesta has traversed the seas of F'lucca but the legendary fish of Sosaria have spent all of September merely laughing at me..not a single one was caught by my hands. Good luck to those who have managed to catch something nice...fingers crossed that Laera has got the biggest!

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next time we'll need to discuss allowing other fish types I think.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next time we'll need to discuss allowing other fish types I think.
Considering the huge quantities of yellowtail barracuda and summer dragonfish I turned into steaks or threw away, it was a good idea not to include the more common fish in a month-long contest - maybe a weekend or even just a day would be enough for them.
The fact that some people were able to produce entries for this event suggests Valura and myself may have just been unlucky. I'm happy to have had a reason to dust off my angler and do the professional fisher quests again, so personally I don't mind that the legendary fish eluded me :)

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering the huge quantities of yellowtail barracuda and summer dragonfish I turned into steaks or threw away, it was a good idea not to include the more common fish in a month-long contest - maybe a weekend or even just a day would be enough for them.
The fact that some people were able to produce entries for this event suggests Valura and myself may have just been unlucky. I'm happy to have had a reason to dust off my angler and do the professional fisher quests again, so personally I don't mind that the legendary fish eluded me :)
I kind of agree with Jonathen here. It doesn't really bother me as I fish incessantly when I am too weary to play sensibly (which is often!)

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, fair enough! Shorter length contests for less rare fish are an interesting idea. I shall ponder it.

Sienus UO Europa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked gradually trading up my Rare ones too, kept cutting up and replacing in the hold with bigger and bigger as the month went by. Maybe you could still do a month, but have a category for Legendary, and a category for Rares too. It's done on weight, and you can only place once in each category, so would at least feel like everyone is still making progress trading up for bigger rares while the legendary continues to elude. The Yellowtail Barracuda I finally ended on is currently causing my ship to list dangerously to one side :)

Reactions: Vor

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Contest is now over. Results are in.

I will speak with Governor Anna tomorrow and we'll let folks know when the winners will be announced!

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Governor Anna Goodward of Vesper will announce the winners, and award the prizes, on Tuesday the 6th of October. The presentation will take place at 8:00 pm at Swaggers Tavern (same place as fish drop off).

If you are unable to make it on the night fear not. Prizes can be collected/delivered at a later date.

The next fishing contest will be announced the same night!

*signed*

Tommy, Europa Chicken League Host, Vesper Trading Company

Anna Goodward, Governor of Vesper, Vesper Trading Company

Last edited:

El Burri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks again to everybody, who helped in setting up this event. It was real fun and a welcome incitation to pull out the pole! :thumbup:

Fortunately I was happy enough to catch a big one... but what made me wonder was that everything I expected to influence the results seemed to have no real effect.
Neither facet (I caught more legends in Tram then Fel) nor baits (in fact I caught all my legends without baits). The only thing with real impact seems to me being whether I fish on weekend or weekdays. Everything positive happened on weekdays - catching legendaries, amount of SOS and rate of ASOS...

Never noticed this before and I think I won't fish again on weekends... is this just my weird RNG or is this normal?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reminder: Results announced at 8pm on Tuesday!

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And the results:

Deep Sea:

1st place
Kingfish - El Burri - 152 stone
2nd place
Blue Marlin - Lord Avomar Castanet - 136 stone
3rd place
Kingfish - Barry Coodah - 114 stone

Sadly no qualifying fish were entered in the shore category. A dungeon fish was mistakenly entered, but was not on the list of acceptable fish I'm afraid!

Information on the October Fishing Open to follow in a few days!

Well done to all those who entered.

Barry Coodah. Please contact me for your prize!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm useless! and sorry. I carefully checked the time, then got involved in something else and totally forgot to go.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Tommy and Anna. I enjoyed taking part in this. More of the same/similar please *smiles*