• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendorhouse Registry?

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was talking shop with another vendorhouse owner on my shard and he mentioned being on.... it was something like uovendor? Or uoshop? I honestly can't remember.

Question: is there some sort of like directory, or guidebook, or site where you can register a vendorhouse and waht it sells, for players to find?

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately no..Not one that doesn't use a 3rd party program to scan vendors.
And as said 3rd party programs are against the ToS of the game, they are not sanctioned by EA. Therefore, like any other illegal program you run the risk of jeopardizing your account if you participate in it.

*gags*
I sound like a lawyer!
*runs off to gargle*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rachel is right, there are such sites, but the means by which they gather the information breaks EA's terms of service. Therefore putting your UO account at risk.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would actually say that the risk doesn't come from EA so much as from going to websites that already do not mind breaking the rules. Say you visit one of these sites that uses illegal programs to scan vendors, but they are going to be shutting down their site soon (for whatever reason). So they decide to put a program on their website that will install key loggers on sit visitor's computers and grab their account info, then they sell that information to people who truck in such things.

Or possibly they have been gathering information of this sort all along and here and there rob accounts. It may sound unlikely, but you really can't be too careful. Of course there is that whole cheating aspect that some of us don't particularly approve of.

Personally I'd spend a couple gaming sessions running around everywhere, marking every vendor I come across, and talking to the house owners when you come across them. No harm in asking if they have a certain item you need, and even haggling down the price a bit. It's nice to be interactive with others (it's an MMO after all), and you can make new friends that way. :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we have a book locked down at Uriah's Rubble Reading Room entitled "Dev's Reliable Vendors" with some of the oldest vendor houses on Legends.... while I do make regular trips into Luna it's not my first choice for a shopping trip and there are lots of out of the way shops that are really terrific

maybe you could hook up with a rune library owner and make a shopping section? not a good solution for a multi-shard player or if you're looking for deals to x-shard, but might expand your clientele on your home shard

:)

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Waaaah!! :sad3: I had no idea I was stepping into such a snake's den with this topic.

Third party programs to scan items and uh.... do what? People search these sites to find what items are for sale? Here I had thought it was something so simple as like a directory where people could sign up and pinpoint their house on a map and describe what's for sale.

Why hasn't anyone done something like that, come to think of it? :)

I've tried using the trade forums here but... frankly... people are really only browsing them for extremely valuable items, and even then, it's not many people.

I drop runes twice a day, and of course, I don't mind doing that, that's part of doing business. But I can't help the feeling that it's random happenstance and I'm not reaching a lot of people. If they avoid Luna or aren't on my hours (I'm only on after work, past 7pm Pacific... bedtime for east coasters) I know I'm just not reaching some potential customers.

It's not a greed motivation really, just wanting to do everything possible to be the best vendorhouse I can within my time and budget constraints. I like to think I have some nice, handy things for sale--- though it's not an artie rare house and I make that clear. I just know most people hitting runes in Luna are really just browsing for rubble or arties (cause they've told me so when they toss my rune back on the ground in front of my house) and the people who'd most benefit from the things I sell don't tend to know my house exists.

F

Flora Green

There are a few of us on Origin that have runebooks locked down with runes to active shops. Also, a friend of mine actually has a vendor with runes to other houses. I've gotten a few compliments and thanks from people for doing that. Sometimes a person will drop a run off (I have a seed/rune box the book sets on), ask me in person to add it or if I happen by a shop that is good and affordable, I'll mark a rune and add it myself.

Maybe start a book of your own or ask some fellow players with a lot of business to lock one down. Can't hurt to try. The only thing that needs to be done is check the shops periodically to make sure they are still current.

K

kray2s

There are places where you can go to and they have mapped out areas of each shard, mainly Luna and tokuno so people can pinpoint what vendor has what stock at that percise moment. These sites, although used by many players, are frowned upon because they use 3rd party programs / scripts to scan the vendors and also they are not exactly UO endorsed progs to use.

I run a vendor house on Europa, so a few things i will say in order to help with your business (some of which has been said before) is as follows: -

1. Talk to other shop owners, I have become very friendly with other shop keepers on Europa. Not only does this bring new friendships but also alows trade of stock between shop keepers. For example, if i did an idoc and got 10 bottles of 50 charge tokuno pigments but i dont generally sell them i may swap them with another shop keeper for an item that i do stock but im running low in back up supply of.

2. Dropping runes is good. However as you saywe cant play all day. So if you have rented out vendors, encourage them to gate and drop runes to your shop to aid the advertising. Maybe if they actively do this you could offer an incentive like dropping the rental price on their vendor?

3. Advertise the fact that you have a shop on your shards strats forum. Although it seems like it is people that are only after high end stuff that trawl the board, so do a lot of people looking for the "everyday needs".

4. Do rune trades!! Offer shop keepers the opportunity to lock down a rune to their shops on your steps or in a runebook to other shops that you keep locked in a prominent possition (with access to the runebook set so anyone can view inside), in return they do the same for you. just keep checking the runes to ensure your spot is being advertised.

5. This IS the big one. Keep well stocked. People like to know they can click to one shop and find the item they are looking for. I know its impossible to keep every item in UO stocked and up for sale in your or any shop 100% of the time theres a limit to how much 1 person can possibly have. However make it a routine to stock up every other day or everyday so people make you their first port of call. Keep running out they will look elsewhere.

The directory would be a good idea. Shops on all shards located in one directory, i could see that working. :)

Hope this post helps and if i gone off the point then my excuse is its late and im tired;)