• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vendor revitalization ida - just a thought

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of charging of daily vendor fees, why not charge us on the back end like a consignment fee. We leave the items on vendors without being charged until the item is sold. You can charge 10-20% (which is standard) fee. This will:

1. Allow us to put up many vendors with items.
2. Greedy owners will still not be able to sell their items if they overprice them.
3. The law of supply and demand will still be in effect because if its an item someone really wants and no one else has it the buyer will pay whatever he/she can afford.
4. EA will still be able to remove gold from every single item sold. This will allow players to put up I think a lot more items without being afraid of getting charged everyday.
5. This will revitalize the vendor system all over UO world in or outside of Luna radar system.

so its a win win situation for everyone.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is to stop people from over-pricing items to circumvent lock down limits?

Not that I care but it's an issue that wasn't mentioned.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Simple, you overcharge to avoid consignment fee, people wont buy :) its a perfect solution. The rule of supply and demand will still take in affect.

R

RichDC

Well i actually think thats one of the best all round solutions, youll always get people who will attempt to exploit systems. Rather than punish the legitimate players by making it un profitable to maintain a low level item vendor, say apple and pots or wooden deco, due to the daily charge...these items arent guaranteed to sell quickly it will allow the vendors of old to return, to be honest...who really cares if someone is using there vendors to hold goods??

If its that much of an issue page on the house and action could easily be taken.

I think it is time to re-vamp the vendor system and this is without question the best idea ive heard so far.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA makes money from people who have extra accounts just to store things. Only having a sales commission when an item is sold will take away money from EA, because some people will close their extra storage accounts and exploit vendors to store items without vendor fees.

But maybe the best solution is a hybrid of lowering vendor fees and a sales commission. Lowering vendor fees would be good, as more vendors make it seem as if more people are playing.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple, you overcharge to avoid consignment fee, people wont buy :) its a perfect solution. The rule of supply and demand will still take in affect.
Scenario 1

Item A
Price: 100M gold
Description: Selling this for 25M gold. ICQ me @ xyz

Outcome: People easily avoiding vendor fees leading to an increase in the gold supply and inflation.

Scenario 2

Storage Item 88
Price: 100M gold
Description: Not for sale. Just storing.

Outcome: People getting annoyed by increased number of vendors that simply store items and having to go through them.

Scenario 3

A vendor will never fall because it will never run out of money unless someone buys the items on it. This could have unforeseen side-effects.

Note:
This treats all sales equally, whether your items get sold after day 1 or day 10. Personally, this would probably boost my income. However, there are going to be some effects of this which might not be so desirable in the long run. One immediate outcome that I see is that prices will further go up and ability of a wealthy merchant or group of merchants to control the market would increase as well. Uncertain as to what extent.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As stated above, vendor fees are there for a reason. Without them people end up using vendors to store stuff so they don't have to use up their house or bank storage limits.

N

NewThunder

I think you missed the point, if there is not initial charge, what is to stop people from using vendors as free storage.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As stated above, vendor fees are there for a reason. Without them people end up using vendors to store stuff so they don't have to use up their house or bank storage limits.
Bang on the button!!! Just like peeps store full bod books on vendors that are and will never be for sale- just to save there storeage.

D

Divster

If vendors are being used for storage as it is anyway I would have thought this idea could only benefit those who would actually be selling things.

How about a standard rental contract price for the vendor itself, and then a charge when the item is sold depending on its price?

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Even Simpler.

Make it so that once an item has been on a vendor for more than 1 hour, the only way to get it off is buy it!

That way if you overprice something to keep anyone from buying, in order to use as storage you have to:

1) Buy item for the overinflated price you placed on item.

2) Loose the (X,Y,Z) percentage of that overinflated price, as a vendor fee.

This would allow people to actually use vendors to try and sell a varity of items without loosing their shirts. At the same time it could get very expensive to abuse the system for storage.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bang on the button!!! Just like peeps store full bod books on vendors that are and will never be for sale- just to save there storeage.
The BOD storage has been covered. It is OK to not price BODs on vendors as it is intended for players to display what they have in stock for trading.

As far as the storage abuse of other items. The vendor already has a charging system for removing any items before the daily charge. Just have any item removed requires a 25% of priced item to remove it. Vendor doesn't have the funds the vendor owner can get an option window to pay for the item from bank gold. The items on a vendor that is released is considered to have run off with your goods so no moving crate catching. This will keep from the storage and Luna over pricing tactics

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even Simpler.

Make it so that once an item has been on a vendor for more than 1 hour, the only way to get it off is buy it!
umm, ya and what if you decide that you want to raise or lower the price on a legitimate item after that hour? Seriously...

D

Der Rock

reduce vendors per house
1 vendor / 7x7 house
25 vendor/ castle (who in the hell need 95 vendors in a castle?)

(for bod collectors, implement bod-holder npc´s ,and increase the storage per bod book,so collectors can storage all the bod´s)

reduce the item storage from vendor´s from 125 to 50 items
(almost all consumable things stack now)

charge fix-dayly vendor fee 100 gold per item(so max dayly fee would be 5k)
charge items if sold 10%

this would solve all problems,and the vendor for storage abuse is a minor problem

:scholar:

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or just leave things the way they are and deal with the paltry vendor fees. I just don't see the problem folks are trying to "solve" here.

If your items aren't selling, then...
1) Lower your Prices
2) Advertise more
3) Find a better Vendor Location

R

Ravahan

Or just leave things the way they are and deal with the paltry vendor fees. I just don't see the problem folks are trying to "solve" here.

1) Lower your Prices
2) Advertise more
^ that, especially the bolded part. Prices, especially on my shard, are freaking outragous without any changes. Right now, you're charged 1/500th of the price of an item per day. that's 0.5%. That means that it'd take you 500 days for the vendor to actually start costing you money, and maybe two to three months before it actually starts eating at your profit. The vendor system is fine as it is, we don't need it revamped.

I know it sounds over simplified, but if you're not moving goods fast enough to cover your fees, you NEED to either move or lower prices. I had a guy try to throw a Soulseeker on at my mall for 3 mil (10x the going rate in LUNA) and wonder why it didn't sell.

If you're not in Luna, you need to deflate the price a bit. I know the search sites make a dandy way to do price checks now, but they're inflated horribly. I generally cut about 20% off Luna prices for most stuff and I move it fast.

C

Cromag

1) Lower your Prices
2) Advertise more
Agreed.

Besides the storage abuse issue, the suggestion of OP would lead to a whole lot of "you never know" vendors.

"I have 2 Crimmy's. I'd like to keep them, but I'll put one on vendor for 5 mil over going rate in case someone desperate/naive comes by and buys it."

It's hard enough to go through all vendors when your looking for something, without having to wade through all that junk.