• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Valorite Ore

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is it just me or has anyone else had trouble mining up Valortie ore. Ive been mining for 2 days non stop with a gm miner and not pulled up a single Valorite ore yet. Where is this stuff found?

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On atantic? Ive looked at the Goodmans rune library and only books ive found are just basic mining locations

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But not finding a single ore in 3 days now of mining seems odd to me.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well, if you mined 1000 spots once each, then yes it seems surprising that you didn't find any valorite. If you mined 10 spots 100 times each, and non were valorite at first, then it seems pretty reasonable that you didn't find any valorite.

Were you using a prospectors tool and a gargoyle pickaxe? If you combine all 3, I think you have about a 6% chance of getting valorite because of the vein promotion. Plus, when you kill the ore elementals you get another 25 large ore. Can get valorite pretty quickly this way.

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well I got a route. Maybe I need to expand it a little to add more spots instead of sticking to a few caves that I normally never see PK's in. Just using my gm miner right now. I havent messed with the tool or the pickaxes yet. Im looking into making a decent suit to include the mining gloves for a little boost and maybe an orc helm to try out inside the orc caves and see how I do inside there.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's about a 5% chance each refill that an ore type will change. (Insert deity of choice) forbid that you get on a streak while you mine from the faulty RNG, and have an entire mountainside change on you after a pass or two - I've seen it happen. Ore's been randomly changing for over a decade now. The only reason someone would have ore books in libraries based on color instead of amount of generic colored output, is nostalgia or laziness.

The ore type split is 50%/8x/7x/6x/5x/4x/3x/2x/** split.
50% is Iron-only.
"**" is the percentage chance for Valorite, which was originally 1x, but was raised to 2% in a publish about a decade ago. I have no way of determining if 2% still holds true, or if a later publish may have accidentally or deliberately reset it back to "1x". It was also never said at the time of the raise whether the fraction of a percentage that increased Valorite to 2% was taken from the other colored ore chance, or the Iron chance. If it came from the iron chance, that would reduce Iron to 49.389%
"x" was originally the chance of non-iron ore (50%, originally) divided by 36 (summation {1..8}), or approximately 1.389% (I believe that the original Stratics data used 1.4% as a rounded figure - not sure how many significant digits the server code goes to)
  • DC vein chance is 8x, or 11.11%
  • SI vein chance is 7x, or 9.72%
  • Copper vein chance is 6x, or 8.33%
  • Bronze vein chance is 5x, or 6.94%
  • Gold vein chance is 4x, or 5.56%
  • Agapite vein chance is 3x, 4.17%
  • Verite vein chance is 2x, or 2.78%
  • Valorite was originally 1.39%, but was reported in publish notes a decade ago, to have been raised to 2%.
So, promoting ore types Agapite & Verite to Valorite should give somewhere between 8.33% and 8.95% valorite veins, minus any digs from before both PT & GPA were used for Agapite, or either tool for Verite.

This, of course, doesn't factor in the other random factor, which is each resource square's innate chance of colored ore (which, 2006 devs to the contrary, is based on the resource square, NOT the race - but the race modifiers modify each square's chance. So that if a dungeon or mining cave spot gives 55% colored ore (of the type it is currently set) to a human, an elf gets 66% colored ore (55%x1.2)- but if the spot's Iron only, the spot will have to be promoted to DC or SI to get the color percentages). I've never seen spots change color percentage in a decade of mining - only the color types. I know several spots that were originally 70-ish% Bronze spots that gave 20-25 ore each time before ML to my human miner. Though the ore types change now, the color numbers still hold true (and my old mining partners that played elves got slightly higher percentages and maybe an extra 1-3 digs more than me). Similarly, There were Valorite spots that were lucky to give 1-2 colored ore before ML, and after the ore randomization still give about that of whatever ore is present - and the colored ore spawn chance is so low that Elf output only differs in amount of iron they get (further indicating that the percentages are being applied to a chance innate to the resource square, as a 20% additive chance increase (as opposed to multiplicative) over a flat number for every square as described by the 2006 devs should have given an elf 2x-5x what my human got at that location).

So if i understand you correctly, a Mining Spot with for example copper will always be a coloured mining spot, will just change its colour?

And there are Spots which will give more Ore then others constantly?

I have to admit, when i´m mining.. Music ON, Brain OFF and just mining inside some marked Caves ...

With your Information it would be much better to check out some Spots with coloured ore and high quantity

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Almost.

Colored Ore Spots can (and eventually will) turn into Iron spots occasionally (and eventually, become colored ore again), but if you use a Prospector's tool and/or Gargoyle's Pickaxe on them while iron, you can get Dull Copper (Shadow iron, using both tools) at the same percentages as the spot would if it was normally putting out colored ore.

Caves and Dungeons tend to produce more digs (and therefore, more ore) per resource square than outside areas (though there's evidence that indicates that Ilshenar as a facet might be considered "cave/dungeon", such as most areas being able to produce niter deposits). For Britannian (i.e. Felucca and Trammel) spots, they also tend to have higher percentages of ore - but there's always a chance for an exception or two to be about. For example, one spot that I've not mined in a while (since these days I do most of my mining in Ilshenar trying for paragon chests off ore elementals), in one of the mining caves W of Trinsic (between the jungle and the Maze) consistently produced 75% plus colored ore for 20-30 digs, for a human, in Trammel on Lake Austin, at least. Right next to it produces half as many digs, and 1/4 the color chance.

Thx for your Replay! Looks like i have to search new Mining Areas ^^

Hmm after my first thoughtless try with a ProspTool Years ago.. and a f***** Ele smashed me, my 4 legged Forge and Packy in the Ground.. i never ever used such a Tool again.

Maybe i have to reconsider.. with which Skills/Template are they doable?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Prospector tools don't summon elementals - only the Gargoyle Pickaxes do that (and only Shadow elementals and up, matching the elevated ore type).

Prospector Tools are doable by any template, as they are safe.

Using GPAs with or without a Prospector tool is the dangerous one. Though, "danger" is highly suspect as a term these days. Most of the elementals have 150-200 HP, so drop rather fast, if you can damage them.

• Shadow elementals require weapon skills, as they are immune to pet damage, summons damage, and most spells (Earthquake works; not tested necro, spellweaver or mystic)
  • Copper Elementals can be done by most templates - just be aware they have 50% damage reflection, so use weapons or spells carefully (i.e. heal between hits if you have low resists/HP)
  • Bronze Elementals have a ranged attack that typically only gets used once or twice before they die. Other than that, are fairly easy.
  • Gold Elementals just have higher resists than earlier elemental types, as do Agapite Elementals. One might have "higher strength" as is property, and the other "higher Resists" - but those properties really don't make much difference.
  • Verite elementals can destroy equipment that isn't Insured or blessed (and some cursed items might be immune as well)
  • Valorite elementals have ALL the abilities above. This makes them the most dangerous (theoretically), as they are immune to spells and pets, reflect damage and have a ranged attack. However, I'm more likely to kill myself fighting a Copper elemental than a Valorite elemental, because the Copper's resists are lower, resulting in greater damage from my slayer weapon.
So, only Shadow and Valorite elementals require a warrior type (or very specific spells), or a provo bard (they have immunity to pets and summons, but not to other creatures naturally occurring or other elementals spawned from digging). And, the 25 ore that the elementals have make it worth the effort.

You can test yourself on a shadow elemental in the Yomotsu mines, and against gold elementals in Blackthorn dungeon.

Then, once you know your limits on those, remember that any of them can be paragons if dug up in Ilshenar, so you really need a dedicated combat miner to mine there - but that's another article. See the stuff in the "Data Chest" subforum.