• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Valorite Hammers

Z

zolo8

I have a couple of Val Hammers and would like to make some pvp weapons most probably fencing what do i need???

I guess 1 +60 ancient hammer

100 Arms?
120 Blacksmith obviously

Anything else? Is it best to make valorite weapons?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have no clue why people make valorite weapons.

They claim it is to better hit the opponent's lowest resist, but the logic is fundamentally flawed, because at the same time you are moving parts of the damage into the opponent's best resists. It only works if you opponent intentionally wears a suit vulnerabe to the Valorite metal spread - and if you can get off a consecrate weapon, the metal is moot, for damage.

DC gives you lower requirement needs, in terms of Strength, as does gold (with gold adding in luck, in case you ever need to kill monsters instead of other players - and you end up with a high-end luck weapon, you might find it better to sell to a PvM player than to use it in PvP). Heck, if you are a necro-PvPer, bronze would be better than Valorite, if you cast corpse skin on your opponents...

The following are the only Fencing items you might need 120+ Smithing to make

All Recipe items
Assassin Spikes
War Cleavers
Leafblades

All these, including the recipe items, will be at 100% Exceptional with a +25% Exceptional Talisman and a +15 ASH, or just a +30 ASH with no talisman, if you are at 120 smith.

From there, it's your choice. Look over the recipe items (the minor recipes are the only ones whose bonuses stack with runics), and see if you can find one whose special bonus and special moves are compatible with your playstyle. Otherwise, make the weapons you are most comfortable with, of any era.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a couple of Val Hammers and would like to make some pvp weapons most probably fencing what do i need???

I guess 1 +60 ancient hammer

100 Arms?
120 Blacksmith obviously

Anything else? Is it best to make valorite weapons?
60 ash will do nothing for you unless you don't have a 100% chance to make a weapon exceptional which you should with 120 smith, 100 arms is a good idea to add extra stuff, i always burn hammers with dc ingots, i actually burned 2 val hammers myself recently and burned them all on longswords for my dexxer, for fencing if you plan to dp definitely a kryss, if u need a good warfork theres an option, leaf blades are also hard hitters, daggers aren't bad for a mage

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sad days, when someone 'with a couple of val hammers' dont know, how to use them proper ....

There are only a few things you need to know for that:
- you cant imbue additional properties onto craftable artifacts with runis
- with a pricey runis as the valorite, you should have a 100% chance on exceptional und non-exceptional crafting of that particular wepaon (of your desire)
- with 100 arms lore your getting a free 40% damage increase on exceptional weapons (instead of 35% without). If your hammer decides to spend a higher DI for your weapon the bonus doesnt aply. (As thinking of it ... I am not fully shure, if the 5% DI-increase from arms lore doesnt apply to runic di-bonus that exceeds the exceptional bonus.)
- to reach a 100%/100% crafting chance on your items you can use ASH's and/or talismans with smithing boni on it

Z

zolo8

Thanks for the feedback - Been playing a long time but smithing has not been my thing hence the dumb question. Thanks. will let you know the results.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I made a 51% DI weapon the other day with a bronze hammer on a character with only JOAT Arms Lore (effectively 20 skill / 1%), I think it's safe to say the Arms Lore Bonus applies after the Runic bonus.