• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using Spellbinders effectively...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used the Spellbinders in Haven to train quite a few pets, but I'm really having trouble with my new Vollems... they're just too quick! I have key assigned to all kill and another to all follow me, but I can't get the all follow me off before they kill the Spellbinder - they're just too fast (like lightning, really)...

Do any of you have a method to use the Spellbinders to train magic resist on pets that are very, very quick to get to the target?

:eek::eek::eek:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't say I use spellbinders, but if a fast stop command doesn't take effect soon enough, you either need an all in one macro that doesn't require fast reflexes on your part...or better still move your vollem onto a tougher target that they can't kill in one hit. Good rule of thumb with pet training - if it dies instantly, you need a better target ;)

I tend to use casters like imps and reapers in Ilshenar for resist training, or better still, set pets to attack magic critters at their wrestle/tactics skill level, as part of their normal melee training.

Or you could just spar them against each other if you want an easy static training option.

Wenchy

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't have the pet attack, have have it on follow and let the spellbinders attack the pet instead. Use invis to hide yourself or just learn to move pet into position prior to getting attacked.

Or if you really have an issue use a pacemaker to peace your own pet then ask it to attack.... It won't do damage that way.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't have the pet attack, have have it on follow and let the spellbinders attack the pet instead. Use invis to hide yourself or just learn to move pet into position prior to getting attacked.

Or if you really have an issue use a pacemaker to peace your own pet then ask it to attack.... It won't do damage that way.
Spellbinders in Old Haven don't attack you unprovoked. You have to tell the pet to kill them, then all follow, to get them to attack the pet.

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy,

I just returned and do not yet have vollems, but all my pets have 100 resist from using spell binders. Use the all in one macro, all kill, all follow me, all follow me ( I do the all follow twice ) . I also make sure the pet is well fed, seems to make them react quicker to the follow command.

Get the max distance you can, set off your macro. It fails ever now and then, but with the respawn rate, ain't no biggie. Good luck.

Mac

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I've found a "method" for using the Spectral Spellbinders in "Old" Haven - when you're training a pet that is very quick to kill (like my Vollems) - and thought I'd describe it here for anyone in the future with this "issue".

Classically, the Spellbinders are "dragged" to a Pet that is already on the porch of what I call the "Spellbinder House" in Old Haven, as seen in the following pic:

This method works fine for any pets that are relatively "slow" getting to the Spellbinders, so that you can use a key assigned to "All Stop" or "All Follow Me" to stop the pet before it can kill the Spellbinder.

Well some pets (like my Vollems) are so lightening fast that they will kill the Spellbinder even before you can hit the key to stop them. So I found a method that works great for them. What makes it work is the mechanic that does not let pets run "thru" mobs, making the mob effective in "blocking" a pets path.

Here's an illustration:

Here's what I do: I take the pet around town (Old Haven) and find a Spellbinder. I get as far away from it as possible and tell it to kill. Vollems are so fast that it may take a few trys before you are successful in stopping them from killing the Spellbinder. Once you have 2 of them, you can use them to "block" the pet from getting to subsequent Spellbinders that have been "drag'd" to the area represented in the pic above. This method does require a friend (or char on another account running a 2nd instance of UO in a separate window) for "dragging" them to the area shown.

Below shows the result: 8 Spellbinders casting on my Vollem, which went from 90 to 100 in less than an hour.

:):gun::)