• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using Mastery to 120 Taming

codemonkey84

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So I'm just finishing up getting taming to 120 (currently 118.6). The reason I'm writing this is because I got there using the new mastery combat training.

I started using the mastery from 106 and gained very rapidly, for taming over the next several days. In comparison I would gain .2 or .3 every hour taming creatures. With using the mastery on a macro I would gain a full point every hour or two...Right now using a crystal ball it say it's very easy so i'm hoping to hit at least 119.5 with this.

Setup:
Enhanced Client
1 pet
gm focus/med
30 mana regen suit
150 int
Really high mana (I was at 236)

Use the actions to "store default pet 1"

Here's the steps on how to create the macro I used
1. Target Default Pet 1 (under acttions / pet targeting)
2. Use "Combat Training" (In mastery book achieved after completing mastery quest)
3. Wait for Target (under actions)
4. Cursor Target Current (under actions)
5. Delay 1 second
5. Repeat steps 2 thru 5 until meditation becomes optimal difficulty(for me it was around 90 mana or 8 uses of combat training)
6. Use Meditation (Grab the button from skills)
7. Delay 20
8. Use Meditation (This is to try to ensure all the mana is regened)
9. Delay 20
10. Say All stay
11. Say All follow me
12. Repeat 2-11 any amount of time
13. Enable repeating

Each run thru of steps 1-11 Takes about 1 minutes. Which means you have 8 taming attempts in that time. Compare that to regular taming when each taming attempt takes at least 12 seconds or more depending on frequency of available taming targets. You can see why this method works so much faster....

I hope this helps someone out as much as it has helped me....

Odin of LS

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got a gain activating the whispering ability (110+ real taming skill) training a greater dragon using the level 2 mastery, so any new ways to speed up taming gains is a plus in my book!

codemonkey84

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I went from 107 to 119.5 (kept a 0.5 taming before hand) in a total of maybe 30 hours.... This macro will run by itself for about 15-20 minutes and with similar gear and setup to mine mana should not be an issue.

The problem with the whispering ability is that you can use it once every hour.

The combat mastery checks your taming skill once you select your pet so you don't have to deal with any of the menu choices to gain a skill. Just hit combat mastery, target pet and repeat.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, i ran a macro in EC that cast Combat Training on my pet once every 8 seconds (just enough for me to regen back to full Mana with GM Med+30 MR+40% LMC), 15 times and had it repeat the macro 10 times, so all i had to do was hit the macro button once every 20 mins or so. Went from 105.5 Taming, to 120.0 Taming just sitting in my house doing that.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is most interesting. I ought to try it on my next tamer. The last one I just bought pinks to 120. This will certainly be much cheaper.

Barrelz

Visitor
Does anyone have a macro for combat training that works with razor? My razor doesn’t recognize any of the mastery spells. If it doesn’t work with razor, what applications do you use to run this macro? Thank you.

Gardo

Journeyman
Razor use is prohibited and can get your account banned.

I’ve not used this method to raise taming. Perhaps there is something that can be setup in the EC? The post two above yours would be a good place to start.

To clarify, razor the utility tool is illegal. Razor mice and keyboards are okay. (My mind immediately went to the utility tool)

Last edited:

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Yes, of course you can use masteries. And whispering has such a long cooldown, you're better off using the other ones..just spamming the macro, you turn the ability on and off on your pet. Some of the hardest UO skills ever have become absurdly easy thanks to masteries.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, of course you can use masteries. And whispering has such a long cooldown, you're better off using the other ones..just spawming the macro, you turn the ability on and off. Some of the hardest UO skills ever have become absurdly easy thanks to masteries.
umm you don't actually use the mastery when you do this, so there is no cool down.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
umm you don't actually use the mastery when you do this, so there is no cool down.
Wrong. Whispering has a 30 minute cooldown and there is no other way to sue it than activating it and thus triggering this cooldown.

As I said, you're better off the other mastery, which is combat training, since you can simple toggle it on and off.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wrong. Whispering has a 30 minute cooldown and there is no other way to sue it than activating it and thus triggering this cooldown.

As I said, you're better off the other mastery, which is combat training, since you can simple toggle it on and off.
Dude. Dont make a fool of yourself.

When you are gaining taming skill you do not choose a training ability. You just open the menu and open it again and again and again.

Yes you are using Combat Training. You are the only one saying you choose whispering. Nobody else has mentioned that.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran

When you are gaining taming skill you do not choose a training ability. You just open the menu and open it again and again and again.
Are you trolling or just this bad at reading comprehension? What else can I do than to repeat myself? The animal taming mastery ability whispering has no menu, and to use it in any way you simply activate it. When it runs out, there is a 30 minute cooldown. I'm sorry, this a fact.

Your comment doesn't even apply to the other taming mastery ability, combat training! The skillcheck happens when you target your pet, no sooner. So you can't open any menu over and over for any of these mastery abilities to expect gain. You have to activate combat mastery, then target a pet. You need to repeat this full for gain, as only the actual activation on a pet triggers the skillcheck.

Please don't respond without carefully reading this post as often as you need to, and/or opening up Ultima Online with a tamer and crystal ball of knowledge, to see that what I am saying is accurate.

screenshot.177.jpg

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you trolling or just this bad at reading comprehension? What else can I do than to repeat myself? The animal taming mastery ability whispering has no menu, and to use it in any way you simply activate it. When it runs out, there is a 30 minute cooldown. I'm sorry, this a fact.

Your comment doesn't even apply to the other taming mastery ability, combat training! The skillcheck happens when you target your pet, no sooner. So you can't open any menu over and over for any of these mastery abilities to expect gain. You have to activate combat mastery, then target a pet. You need to repeat this full for gain, as only the actual activation on a pet triggers the skillcheck.

Please don't respond without carefully reading this post as often as you need to, and/or opening up Ultima Online with a tamer and crystal ball of knowledge, to see that what I am saying is accurate.

View attachment 80831
Sorry to bother you. I am new at this taming stuff. I never knew about a 30 in cool down either. The timer on my phone just happens to be set for that for other things.

Go ahead. You take over.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Darn It must be past his bedtime.

For those that dont know. The masteries count as Spells.

upload_2018-4-30_20-57-59.png

You can do it one time and then automate with last target and a toothpick.

You don't need the Razor until you are doing Lore. Tell the Razor to use a button as a left mouse click.

Hopefully I have not given enough away to violate the RoC.

FTW has the EC version.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Pawain edited his post to add the following:

Yes you are using Combat Training. You are the only one saying you choose whispering. Nobody else has mentioned that.
I literally wrote to NOT use whispering and reason why, and you incorrectly responded that it has no cooldown because you don't use the mastery, which is silly and incorrect for any taming mastery ability.

You now incorrectly state in your edited post that no one else mentioned whispering, when of course they did. If you would actually read threads and the posts you quote and respond to, you would know that Odin of LS mentioned whispering, and CodeMonkey84 justly mentioned it shouldn't be used due to its cooldown, but incorrectly mentioned the cooldown is an hour. So reconfirmed whispering should not be used and that the cooldown is 30 minutes, also saying that indeed combat training should be used.

You've just said a bunch of incorrect stuff in this thread and now trying to hide you are the one who made a fool out of himself. And saving face by mentioning illegal programs, um what?

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Great, you were still incorrect in your responses to me and in your edit. I'm out of this nonsense thread.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bye Bye

And for those that want a supplement to your gaming. My razer is very old and one button sticks and another does not work. I am looking for something I can use for UO that works with my left hand so I would like to know about other options.

It sits on the opposite side of your mouse and you press its buttons instead of keyboard buttons. Way easier than pressing the Function keys. You program it to take the place of any keys. If you are really nimble you can use it instead of a mouse.

Mine is like this.

upload_2018-4-30_21-35-10.png

way easier for old people like me to hit the correct keys fast.

And I do edit my posts so dont reply until I have time to proofread.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bye Bye

And for those that want a supplement to your gaming. My razer is very old and one button sticks and another does not work. I am looking for something I can use for UO that works with my left hand so I would like to know about other options.

It sits on the opposite side of your mouse and you press its buttons instead of keyboard buttons. Way easier than pressing the Function keys. You program it to take the place of any keys. If you are really nimble you can use it instead of a mouse.

Mine is like this.

View attachment 80833

way easier for old people like me to hit the correct keys fast.

And I do edit my posts so dont reply until I have time to proofread.
Mine is a bit different and I think it's kinda better than that one but apples/oranges:

I personally prefer the G-13 I still own the ole N52te but Enjoy the G-13 more... infact I've actually killed one from over use I think... on my second one now.

I use it for pretty much every game I play, Skyrim, Diablo, UO, BDO... and pretty much everything else.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine is a bit different and I think it's kinda better than that one but apples/oranges:

I personally prefer the G-13 I still own the ole N52te but Enjoy the G-13 more... infact I've actually killed one from over use I think... on my second one now.

I use it for pretty much every game I play, Skyrim, Diablo, UO, BDO... and pretty much everything else.
I've used both. Started with the Razor Nostromo, then tried the Logitech when my Nostromo broke. Had to go back to the old Nostromo. It just fits better ergonomically for me and i didn't care for the joy stick on the Logitech. They are both hands down the best thing for gamers.

To get back on topic. Posters that stated the cool down times for whisper are kinda right and kinda wrong.
It's 30 minutes for a level 3 primer and 60 minutes for a level 1 primer.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've used both. Started with the Razor Nostromo, then tried the Logitech when my Nostromo broke. Had to go back to the old Nostromo. It just fits better ergonomically for me and i didn't care for the joy stick on the Logitech. They are both hands down the best thing for gamers.

To get back on topic. Posters that stated the cool down times for whisper are kinda right and kinda wrong.
Aye and somewhere in-between for a 2 (I think it's 45) but whisper isn't what you use to gain taming skill... it's the combat training... and you don't actually have to pick one of the choices and you only need a level 1 primer...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aye and somewhere in-between for a 2 (I think it's 45) but whisper isn't what you use to gain taming skill... it's the combat training... and you don't actually have to pick one of the choices and you only need a level 1 primer...
I already went in that circle with Phantasmagorgasm. See above. :)

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
You don't have to pick the combat training option, but you do have to target a pet to get the skillcheck.

Ah, good to know. I forgot that the mastery level affects the cooldown.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I seem to be having a problem with getting gains. I’ve read people going from whatever to 119ish in a matter of hours and yet the best I’ve had was .3 in one hour.
So either I have the macro setup wrong or maybe my taming is too low for this to be effective. This is with a tamer I have on an EJ account, she ate a level 2 taming mastery (whispering cool down is 40 min, btw).
I set the macro to use Combat Training and last target my pet. So I run this and see .2 to .3 an hour. And as such, this tamer is now 93.
So, is the macro setup right? Or is my tamer too low in skill to use it? Could it be I didn’t eat a power scroll yet?

Adrahil

Adventurer
I seem to be having a problem with getting gains. I’ve read people going from whatever to 119ish in a matter of hours and yet the best I’ve had was .3 in one hour.
So either I have the macro setup wrong or maybe my taming is too low for this to be effective. This is with a tamer I have on an EJ account, she ate a level 2 taming mastery (whispering cool down is 40 min, btw).
I set the macro to use Combat Training and last target my pet. So I run this and see .2 to .3 an hour. And as such, this tamer is now 93.
So, is the macro setup right? Or is my tamer too low in skill to use it? Could it be I didn’t eat a power scroll yet?
I found the fast gains really didn't kick in from the mastery until 103 or 104. I think the masteries work off real taming skill and may work better at higher skill levels. Again this is just my observation, I also dumped every skill except taming, lore and med on soulstones when using it.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Adrahil. That was actually my first guess. Hopefully I’ll have a little time this weekend to go tame around Ice Island and get a power scroll. Atlantic can be rough with prices at times. However, I did get super lucky on the level 2 taming mastery though, only 150k