• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using a Crystal Ball of Pet Summoning down in the Abyss ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is extremely annoling to have to walk a pet all the way throu the Abyss in order to reach one's own spawn of choice.

Sometimes, in order to reach one's own final spawn, it is necessary to go through 3 or 4 spawns which of course slow down the running through as the pet gets aggroed all the time.

The question is, are there places where it is possible to summon a pet with the ball down in the Abyss ? Where at ?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if there are certain places that they work. I tend to set my pet to all stay then run into abyss and get into position. I then relog so my pet then appears next to me.

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure if there are certain places that they work. I tend to set my pet to all stay then run into abyss and get into position. I then relog so my pet then appears next to me.
What ^^^ he said...

Log out/Log in

Logging out also saves your pet if it is close to dieing. Just run away from the spawn, hide/invis, and log out. When you log back in, your pet will come to where you are. But be ready, because your pet might run back into the fight before your character logs all the way in.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What ^^^ he said...

Log out/Log in

Logging out also saves your pet if it is close to dieing. Just run away from the spawn, hide/invis, and log out. When you log back in, your pet will come to where you are. But be ready, because your pet might run back into the fight before your character logs all the way in.

Well, that's a work around.....

But since it works, I wonder why not just allow the pet summoning ball to work anywhere....

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the pet summoning balls were designed this way for a reason. The devs wanted us to be able to pull pets into some areas, but not others. We might not agree with their choices, but some areas were intended to be tough for tamers :)

The logging out code wasn't created to transport pets, it's using the code that protects your pets if you lose connection or crash etc. That code works everywhere because it needs to. But tamers have realised that they can exploit that code to move pets and during battle etc. So it's not really intended that we move pets this way heh.

Wenchy

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the pet summoning balls were designed this way for a reason. The devs wanted us to be able to pull pets into some areas, but not others. We might not agree with their choices, but some areas were intended to be tough for tamers :)

The logging out code wasn't created to transport pets, it's using the code that protects your pets if you lose connection or crash etc. That code works everywhere because it needs to. But tamers have realised that they can exploit that code to move pets and during battle etc. So it's not really intended that we move pets this way heh.

Wenchy
But since it works (and does not cost charges as the pet summoning ball does..), why not then simply allow the pet ball to work in all areas ?

Last edited:

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe the programmers thoughts are if they ever re-write the code that protects a pet for connection loss to not stable/summon a pet if the actual log out button is pressed, then they wouldn't have to go re-write the code for restricting pet ball summoning again.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe the programmers thoughts are if they ever re-write the code that protects a pet for connection loss to not stable/summon a pet if the actual log out button is pressed, then they wouldn't have to go re-write the code for restricting pet ball summoning again.

In such a case, I can only imagine the complaints from players losing for good their hard earned and trained pet and wanting to quit UO althougether.....

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But since it works (and does not cost charges as the pet summoning ball does..), why not then simply allow the pet ball to work in all areas ?
Because while tamers have found a way around the ball restrictions, the devs are not automatically going to change the game to remove the restrictions. They may still be planning to change the broken log out code rather than the summoning balls.

Wenchy

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's also worth mentioning that logging out/in does leave you vulnerable temporarily and takes some time, as well as disorients you on your return.

If you could pet ball everywhere I'm sure somebody would find a creative use to trivialize some fight with no risk by instantly teleporting pets around without breaking aggro.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still, taking a pet down some Dungeons, particularly in Felucca, can be a royal pain.....

Walking down several levels with all possible critters aggroing one's own pet and slowing down the walk can mean a whole lot of time to reach one's own target spot for hunting....
Imagine a tamer going down to the lowest level of Hythloth in Felucca with a pack of 3 or 4 tames...... and having each tame wandering away here and there to respond to this or that aggroing..... Having to fetch them all the time every few steps can be a pain.

At the very least, tamers should have a special command to tell one's own pet to disregard any and all aggroing until this command is lifted.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all stop, all follow me

They'll ignore aggressive actions against them.
Yes, the only problem is that one has to spam it because it is not like one says at the entrance of the dungeon all stop, all follow me and that works until one gets to the lowest level or changes a command to something else....... at least that was my experience when trying to walk through a dungeon.....

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put it a timer for logging pets..once an hour or something..it's abused so much..

It was implemented to stop your pet from getting stuck..not to avoid losing stats..it's another case of UO Dev teams over looking exploited game mechanics..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is not like one says at the entrance of the dungeon all stop, all follow me and that works until one gets to the lowest level or changes a command to something else
For me, that's exactly how it works.

All stop, all follow me, walk to where I want to go. Invis the pet every few screens so you don't drag a trail of enemies behind you, but they ignore everything and follow.

Now, if you want them to actually attack a specific target while being attacked, I can't help you there... But following always works for me.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, the only problem is that one has to spam it because it is not like one says at the entrance of the dungeon all stop, all follow me and that works until one gets to the lowest level or changes a command to something else....... at least that was my experience when trying to walk through a dungeon.....
You should never have to spam stop and follow commands. But if you do command a pet to kill while you're travelling through a dungeon, you will need to tell it to stop and follow after the fight. Otherwise it will still be in fight mode and aggro against anything that attacks it. But if you're simply travelling, ensure stop and follow is the last command your pet accepted and it should follow you fine.

The one thing to check is that your macro is correctly set up and gives a tiny pause between saying all stop and all follow. Otherwise you can find it doesn't work or a bit of lag will give incorrect commands to your pets. The only time I've had trouble with stop and follow commands, a macro tweak fixed it.

Of course obviously you need to be sure your pets are wonderfully happy too, because it's amazing how often I've seen tamers re-issue commands and they don't realise their pet loyalty had fallen. Greater dragons seem to be quite grouchy (at least mine are) and can refuse a command leaving you with a pet that isn't accepting your commands.

Wenchy

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have parked and relogged so many times I don't even notice it, And I am glad we can do that so I don't have to walk em through the mobs.I also agree the petballs have their uses and this little thing for Sa is good for me .