• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Using 120 taming ps? And other advice please

Greyrigg

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi I am currently training my peace tamer and have bought a 120 animal taming and peacemaking power scroll and I was wondering if I should use them now or wait till I have gm'd those skills first my current skill levels are

Taming 88.3
Peace 99.2 (peace will be gm soon gains a pretty good)

Mainly taming I was wondering about be cause training is very tedious also would appreciate some advice or animal to tame and different location to stop the boredom lol thanks

Also there ain't much info I can find on white wyrms like what to hunt with them or where to train them this would also be helpful

And finally what would be a good suit to look for,for taming new pets and pvm aswell

Look forward to your replys

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi I am currently training my peace tamer and have bought a 120 animal taming and peacemaking power scroll and I was wondering if I should use them now or wait till I have gm'd those skills first my current skill levels are

Taming 88.3
Peace 99.2 (peace will be gm soon gains a pretty good)

Mainly taming I was wondering about be cause training is very tedious also would appreciate some advice or animal to tame and different location to stop the boredom lol thanks

Also there ain't much info I can find on white wyrms like what to hunt with them or where to train them this would also be helpful

And finally what would be a good suit to look for,for taming new pets and pvm aswell

Look forward to your replys

You can eat PS:s immediately :). Just to be sure that you do not hit cap and try accidently rise capped skill (Wasting gains :) )
There is no reason to not eat them if you have choosen to hit 120 someday.

Easiest and safiest (but maybe booring) way to hit GM is great harts at for example Moonglows forests or Trinsics Barried Isle.

Then 100 to 120 with bulls on for example Jheloms farm lands (Get there from Jheloms teleporters) or Delucia or Trinsics Barried Isle

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At 90 i was taming bulls in Delucia

Training taming from 90-120 will take a very long time my advice to you would be to have someone imbue +taming jewles for you(+13 is very cheap to imbue) and maybe get one of those +5 taming talismans
Use your tamer tame all the pets you want train them and hunt with them
eventually if you take good care of your daily gains and sometime when you are realy motivated do some taming grinding you get to 120

WW does alot of cold dmg but have very low fire resist any monster with low cold resist would be a good target
WW take 3 controll slots so pair him up with a 2 slot pet like a mare would be good or if the the monster you fight does fire dmg use a fire steed or a bake kitsune to tank for your WW

Suit
I guess your skills are
Magery taming animal lore vet music peace
if so
you need as much MR you can get and 100% LRC

LMC good resist FC FCR are also good to have

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As with any pet, your pet's best training gains when fighting creatures which are +/- 10.0 skill points from its skill. This rule applies to the more physical skills (wrestling, tactics, etc), not the casting skills. Pet Magery skill increase the more it casts spells. You have no influence on which spells it casts (unlike player skill training), so you are unable to optimize its spell casting at its Magery skill. Choose targets that do not die too quickly to the pets physical attacks, so it can cast more. The most important question when choosing what to train your pet on is "can I keep it healed?". This depends a lot on which skills you use to heal your pet and your playing experience. Some general guidelines to follow are: 1)Try not to choose a target which deals most of its damage to your pet's weakest resists; 2)Try not to die; 3)Don't Get Discouraged; 4)Try not to die.

There are a few tricks experienced tamers use (Discordance or Shadow Iron Elemental), but those will not teach you how to effectively use pet. I suggest that start fighting in Shame Level 1. There are moderate skill level monsters there and decent rewards. The Hunter's Guide (http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/index.php) is one of the best tools to use when looking for training grounds. There is an Advanced Search option (top right), which is extremely useful. The Animal Lore skill can also be used on any monster at 110, which allows you to confirm its skills.

The best thing you can have on a suit for taming new pets (and for that matter PvM) is high resists. At the very least, you want high resists for the damage types of the pet you are tying to tame, if for some reason you cannot get a full 70s suit. Every thing after that depends on which properties you want to compliment your other skills. Try to avoid HCI properties when taming aggressive pets, since your taming attempt will be disrupted if you hit the pet. You can use the Hunter's Guide to research your intended hunting grounds, before finding out the hard way. ;)

Stayin Alive,

BG

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At your current skill level, I'd recommend getting a pair of bake kitsune if you don't have some already. You can handle them with a 1 slot mount (frenzies being my usual choice) and they giggle. If there's anything I like after a training session it's a hunt with giggling pets! But they are pretty decent on resists and capable hunters, and give you some fun when you aren't training. They're also a crazy pet to actually tame - I'll give you a tip, tame a gaman and get the kit to attack it while you vet and tame the kitsune. They're pretty fast and angry when they're wild, I once tamed at a gallop as one teleported after me... would be easier had I not been laughing so much. But they are fun to lead tame if you feel brave ;)

Wyrms are great paired up with something like a nightmare, or even a kitsune if you don't mind being on foot. The Hunter's Guide page that Barry mentions above has a really great advanced search [link]. The best way to train tactics and wrestling is to match the skill of the monster closely to your pet's skill. So you can use that search page to find creatures within the range you want and use it to find training spots for your pets. There is also the option to sort by different things too. I often sort by the gold they're carrying and that tends to help me find the toughest creature I can handle with the best loot hehe.

For hunting spots, the best idea is to do a bit of exploring as you train. As you train up a pet in dungeons you get a really good idea of what it can handle, and if you're training your pet then naturally you'll start on easier areas. As long as you start at the beginning of a dungeon or spawn area, the spawn should be easier and you can gradually go further and see how you get on. Always keep some escape route - an area or path which is free of spawn. Then you can pull your pet back with an "name stop" and "name follow" macro and safely vet it back up. Work on the outskirts of a spawn till you know exactly what you can handle.

If you're new to hunting with pets, good macros are also essential - stuff like casting invis, g.heal and cure on yourself and vetting your pets. Command macros too, set up ones that use your pet name as those seem to work better if the line of sight is awkward. If you find yourself doing anything regularly, set a macro for it :) In the Enhanced Client you can also set up a repeat - eg use bandages on stored target [your pet] then a pause of 2. Set it to repeat as often as you like and that's a really handy macro to have. You don't occasionally interrupt yourself vetting with that, and if your pet is moving around you can hit that macro and focus entirely on staying close to him. Note that will interrupt itself if you use it to resurrect a pet, just use a single vet macro to rez, then the repeat one to vet the pet up to full health. You can create a similar macro in the Classic Client too.

Suit wise I have basic high resist suits and above that it's all icing on the cake. For the actual taming, it's handy to wear a bracelet of health for the health regen. I've also blessed and mini-healed myself before taming to get more HPs. You can use peace and honour to help you tame, but it's useful to be able to lead tame, and also kinda satisfying to tame a pet while it's trying really hard to kill you. All of my WWs killed me, every last one of them. Looted me too usually heh. All good pets come with a great taming adventure IMHO.

Wenchy