• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Users of AGP Graphic Cards please...

D

Darlan

...tell me what graphics card you have and if you run SA client more or less smoothly and without graphical glitches. Id like to know, cause maybe I buy another card. :) Thanks

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two of my buddies put the geforce 6200 512MB, but it's listed as not supported. The one guy has bad lag with his 1GB ram. If he minimizes the game window part and leaves a larger black area, then the lag goes down. But it still is not good.
The other guy has 2GB ram and runs pretty ok, but not great.
Another person has the same 6200 geforce and she lags a bit.
*sigh* I can't find the hardware requirements now for EC. You'd think they'd list it at the download page.

It won't run well on integrated graphics, so this is suspect.
A great vid card = best experience (I think)

I'd hate for you to upgrade and then have nasty lag.

Hell, even at my work PC with Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33ghz and a Geforce 8300 GS PCIe computer it lags bad. I'm gonna throw a better card and see what happens. I think the video card is the bottleneck since it ranks only a little higher than the AGP geforce 6200.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a NVIDIA 6200LE AGP with 256MB on board.

This runs the Enhanced Client .... poorly.

What I can not be certain of is this, is the Card or is it the FSB400MHZ memory.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On my work one I have 333 FSB x 4 = 1330 Rated FSB.
Yet EC is poor on this.
I should run out and pop a good card and see.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popped an ATI HD4850 512MB PCIe video card in my E6550 Dell (mentioned above) and I move smooth as silk on EC.

See? The video card has LOTS to do with it. My crappy Geforce 8300 lagged big time and my mouse would stickie onto icons.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Video card (and manufacturer) has a TON to do with performance, cheap vid card = lousy performance these days. Doeasn't mean you have to spend 300-400 for a card, but 150+ is probably to be expected.

Another issue that people don't seem to realize is your MONITOR. Not in terms of performance per se, but in terms of picture quality. Shortly after KR released, I bought a Samsung 22in widescreen LCD (226BW) 2ms response, 3000:1 contrast ratio and it shows things SUPER crisp. I can see details in even my windows wallpaper that the other monitors don't show (the Sony or the LCD TV/monitor (which I want to replace with a Samsung as well)). So when it seems that I didn't see "teh blurry" in KR, well, it's because after a certain point in the KR lifespan, I DIDN'T. There was NO blurry to see.

Unfortunately, for SA, that means the pixelation is just that much more pronounced.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, don't have to spend a fortune on a good vid card. This one was $100 - $20 rebate (ended today) so cost $80 and rocks! Whenever I see rebates end, it usually means there will be a drop anyway in the items.

AGP cards will cost more for a lesser card since it's aging. They rip you off for older tech *sigh*.

O

Old Man of UO

Popped an ATI HD4850 512MB PCIe video card in my E6550 Dell (mentioned above) and I move smooth as silk on EC.

I have a Sapphire build of ATI HD4850, and EC runs great for me. I paid $169 for a super cooled version a year ago. You can get these now for about $100 now.

As far as AGP cards, you might consider the ATI HD4650 or HD4670... both are 8x AGP and sell for about $85 and $115.

Y

Yen Sid

Wow, I didn't realize we still lived in the 90's. AGP is so far gone its insane. Time to upgrade to PCIe 2.0x16. I have a Core i7 920 OC'd to 4.2GHz, 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple Channel RAM, GTX 280 Video Card, x58 SLI x3 Classified Mobo. Soon to come is the GTX 300 so I will have that and then the 280 for PhysX.:thumbup:

Overkill for UO?:eyes: Yeah but I run many other games at max settings and never have a problem, Oh and I am now playing on a 40" Samsung 1080p HDTV. SA Client runs like a champ. :thumbsup:

(Sorry to go more or less off topic here. :twak:)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a Temporary solution (1 year or less) I am considering one of the two anyone have any comments? They are both the same price and not this is not a trick question. It will mostly boil down to Power Supply Requirements. The system has, I believe a 350 Watt PS. Some searches indicate that is more than adequate for the 4650. It is clear that the PS is adequate for the 3650.

Visiontek Radeon HD 3650 Video Card - 512MB GDDR2, AGP 8x, DVI, HDTV, VGA

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4914257&pagenumber=1&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStarthttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4803129&CatId=2234

XFX Radeon HD 4650 Video Card - 1GB DDR2, AGP, (2) Dual-Link DVI

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On my previous computer, I used the GeForce 7600 GS, which is cheap and worked very well. Now I use the same card just with PCI-E.

O

Old Man of UO

... It will mostly boil down to Power Supply Requirements. The system has, I believe a 350 Watt PS. Some searches indicate that is more than adequate for the 4650. It is clear that the PS is adequate for the 3650.

Visiontek Radeon HD 3650 Video Card - 512MB GDDR2, AGP 8x, DVI, HDTV, VGA

The 4650 is clearly a superior card, but specs I've read in the past suggested 400-450 watt for that card. I haven't used it (I have the 4850) but reviews were pretty good.

No chance to upgrade to a new motherboard/CPU/Memory and get PCIe?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not Really.

My game computers are downgraded computers from my other computers.

I essentially upgraded one of them to allow me to downgrade the one I consider the main Game Computer and it runs the Enhanced Client just fine. The second computer is only used to run the second account when I need it online, which is slim to never.

So I am not all that interested in upgrading another of the other computers just to send this one somewhere.

I probably wont start upgrading any of those until either I am happy with Windows7 64Bit and feel the need for more memory on each computer, or the OctoCore's become ... publicly available.

So bottom line is yeah I marginally am ok with spending $80+Shipping to run the Enhanced on that computer. I will grumble if I need to throw in another $50 or so to upgrade the power supply. If it comes to that, I may consider just tossing that MB+Video+Ram and replace it with MSI MB and throw the Celeron D CPU in there and take advantage of the DDR2 / PCIev1 Video Upgrade. Or more probably just drop back to the HD3650 Card as I suspect that will run the EC just fine. Or I may look and see if I can find a AGP 7600 as I do prefer NVidia to ATI.

I do appreciate the input and thanks.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I went with this card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

To my surprise it actually worked, so far in Windows 7. It was one miserable pita to install though, which was the reason I stoped buying ATI products, in favor of 3DFX (now NVIDIA) absolutely nothing worked from the AMD/ATI site, wouldn't install any driver and I suspect the issue was the AGP, even though I did the AGPHotfix drivers.

So I just installed the CD and left it at that.

Now I have the same issues as others, the lag near houses. Other than that, it isn't as good as the other computer but it is quite usable.

Just to add, the 2D Classic Client performs better than I have ever seen it perform on this computer.

Oh and btw, I will need to figure out why the heck XP/SP3 wont boot with the card in. :(