• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Upgrading pets, what stats are more important? Opinions please

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are only so many points to play with, and caps to work around too.
Rate in order of importance (in your opinion)
stats, regens, resists, power scrolls.

I'm horribly afraid that in my ignorance I'm going to ruin more pets than I improve.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you use the pet calculator HP/Stats/Resists have way more weight than skills. IMHO survivability out weighs damage output so I would go Resists/HP/HPRegen/Resist Spell, then Str/Dex/Int.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It seems to depend a bit on the type of pet, Ive been going for HPs first on pets that have less than about 300hps like unicorns, simply to have enough time for a bandage to work when fighting the types of things you have to fight to train them, anything over 500hps seems to be fine, then resists up to max as its sort of illogical not to, after that I suppose its about what you use the pet for, I personally use pets to kill things rather than for tanking and Im vetting them while they do it so I go for DPS, stam, dex, 120 wrestle and tactics, I have noticed my 4 slot mare is still not doing enough damage and is also running out of mana, so Im going to go for 120 eval, MR and possibly higher int and mana when it hits the 5 slot training point, I can keep the mare alive fine with 512 HPs and 80 resists right now but on some things like high paragons the kill time is taking forever so Im trying to work out how to crank up the damage.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you use the pet calculator HP/Stats/Resists have way more weight than skills. IMHO survivability out weighs damage output so I would go Resists/HP/HPRegen/Resist Spell, then Str/Dex/Int.
I think focus on survivability may be a bit out dated when we have consume damage mastery. In a setting where the number of points too limited there is such thing as too much tank, but you can never have enough dps.
I think the new approach would have to be is to establish how much tank you need to comfortably survive the mobs you intend to hunt with this given pet. Everything else gets duped into damage.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think focus on survivability may be a bit out dated when we have consume damage mastery. In a setting where the number of points too limited there is such thing as too much tank, but you can never have enough dps.
I think the new approach would have to be is to establish how much tank you need to comfortably survive the mobs you intend to hunt with this given pet. Everything else gets duped into damage.
:facepalm: And you just repeated what I said. "survivability out weighs damage output"

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think it also really depends on your play style. When I use a tamer, I play 3 simultaneously. Bit difficult to master but it can be rewarding. As such, I usually have one with a tank, one that can dish out massive dps, and one that does good damage but can last long enough for me to res my tank should it die. So, if you play solo screen, shoot for a balance. For me, I can play around a bit more because I have more to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm getting afraid to try this on my 'real' pets, I'm making such a mess of it on test :(

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In general, I feel hit points are way overrated. For me, it's 3rd on the list. (and why I don't put much faith into the pet calc)
1- Resist
2- Skills
Those could really be 1a and 1b.
3. hit points

I haven't had a chance to mess with the new stuff on TC yet. Maybe this next week, but I have a pretty full schedule- so probably not.

Night

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I found important / useful so far:

Resists - Good / Effective
Mana Regen - Necessary
HP Regen - Good / Effective
Special Moves - Fun but eats mana waaaay too quickly
Skill cap increase - Not tested but I expect will be useful
Extra skills (Ninjitsu, Spellweaving, Necro etc) - Really quite cool but replaces Magery and no summons (shame)
HP - Really good but takes a lot of upgrade points
Stam - Good / Effective
Base damage - Good Effective

New nightmares seem to be 3 slot by default which could lead to 2 slot legacy nightmares becoming really valuable if they retain their 2-slot control requirement and upgrade from 2-3 slots instead of the new ones going from 3-4 slots (sorry to start the mare-rush if this is true).

Haven't tamed or tried much but so far (will update if I do any more more testing):

Shadow Wyrm (always wanted one which is why I am here lol) 5 slots but not as good / survivable as a GD and looks like it can't be upgraded. Still really cool though ... did I mention it was really cool ?
Nightmare (fresh tame so 3 slots) - Upgraded goes to 4 slots but not as good / effective / survivable as a Dog (Cu-Sidhe)
Tsuki Wolf - Upgrade from 3 > 4 slots. +Necro / Resists / Regen / Feint / HP. Good fun and surprisingly tanky
Rune Beetle - Upgrade from 3 > 4 slots. +Resist / Regen etc. Wanted to try one with Chiv or Spellweaving or Necro but you don't seem to be able to do that :( Buffed 4 slot rune beetle is what you get basically without the damage output of Beetle+Mare but at least less pets to manage
Skree - Haha what a great little beastie. I'm guessing there is a few bugs still to be ironed out as I managed to make a Skree as strong as a GD. The rate these little guys cast at is hilarious. Certainly the most fun with a 5 slotter I've ever had !

I'm definitely not touching any of my old pets until the FOTM upgrades are well documented and tested.

Night

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
For me it depends on what I'm doing and what pet I'm using.

For the Roof - GD with high HP, physical and Fire Resist...my Dragon Turtle works very well here also.

Travesty I use my Reptalon, blood ele's I use my Cu, Lady M I use my nightmare/beetle combo if I don't use my archer.

I love my 5-slot dread spider on test but I am hoping I can do the Mare/Spider combo...wish the lion would stay ridable because I would totally go with a lion/dread spider combo lol. We need more ridable fighting pets!!!

With the new system I would max out skills where applicable...wrestling/tactics/magery/eval etc. As we know with our chars the higher the skills the more damage/less fizzling we do so it should be the same with pets.

Then I Would go for resists....again cold/energy seem to be the least important but again it depends on what pet you're using and what you're fighting. Physical/poison resists are the first things I raise...for mage-related pets increase Mana/intel/MR like that.