• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Updates failing? Read this before you reinstall!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Specifically, this is for the failed updates that then refuse to update when you retry, often leading to a reinstall.

When the client updates, it downloads all the files. Then, it unpacks and replaces each one, one at a time, deleting the old file. That's actually deleting the old file, not overwriting it.

What will happen sometimes, is that the old file is deleted, but the new file doesn't go into place.

If the old file is missing (or doesn't match, in some cases - like the legal method of editing the music file destination to play non-standard music), the client patcher comes to a screeching halt.

To get past this blockage, either the old or new version of the file must be put into place in the client's folder. You can look at the patchlog file to see where it broke at (and typically, it's a good idea to get rid of the patchlog after a successful patch or two, to keep it short)

There are two fixes for this:

1. Copy either version of the missing file from another install. For me, this happens to about every 3rd or 4th patch, but since I have 2 machines that I keep the game installed and up to date on, I can copy the offending file over my network into the folder (either the old or patched version). In my experience, even if two machines have this problem on the same patch, it is rarely the same file getting dropped in both, so you could update two machines, and one of them will patch past the point where the other failed, then you could replace that file, resume the patch, and hopefully get past where the first machine had its error, and repeat the process the other way.

2. After each patch, back up your client folder somewhere, then if this issue shows up, simply copy the one offending file back over and relaunch the client to continue with the update. Backing up these files (and your character data in My Documents) is never a bad idea.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: I found a cause of one of the patching issues for the 2D/Classic client

much respect, awesome. This must have been fun to figure out , huh ? lol holy crap well done. :thumbup1:

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You rock Basara. Mind if I rename and sticky this?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

go ahead...

As for how I discovered this, I found it after several patch attempts that ended badly, and on checking the patchlog file, found it wasn't finding the file in question. On looking in the directory, the file was out and out GONE. Needless to say, when this is one of the facet maps (like in my last failed patching that led to this post), this can be a Very Bad Thing.

S

Sweety

This has happened to be 2x. First time i had to reinstall twice. 2nd time i replaced the vercfg.cfg and patchlog folders because they read 0KB and it loaded properly.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem Desc: I downloaded the two new patches today, but cannot get in game. The thing that did NOT happen was that my computer did not ask for my permission install these patches.

Attempted Fix: Made sure I was system admin so I could install the patches. I am.

Recent changes: I reinstalled Windows XP about a week ago.

Oper Sys: using Window XP Pro.

Tried to call Support, which was not open. I went to the Patch files in EA Games/Ultima Online, and it shows two entries for today's date, January 13.

Please help. I cannot locate anywhere to download the recent patch files.