• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Updater Problems 23.12.07 - Castanet Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It seems that a lot of people are getting an error when trying to patch between regular cities (Sims Online) and TC3. In order to keep all posts in one place and make things easier for everyone, I’ve set up a new thread for this problem.

The error is :

An error occurred while trying to talk to the update server:

Castanet_error_http

You then get told there was an error updating the game and are asked to verify. Unfortunately the game does not verify properly and you get stuck in a loop of verifying and not being able to update.

Based on past experience, this problem appears to be with the EA servers rather then anything to do with your computer.

Last time we had this kind of error Lee explained this:

<blockquote><hr>

There are reasons it has to verify. It is trying to determine if there are updates and since it can't contact the server there is nothing to let the clients know. Kinda of like a phone call when no one answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

One workaround if you still want to play is to launch the game via your TSO.Client.Exe (this will avoid the updater) you should then be able to play in the last city you were in before trying to update.

If you do not know how to use the Client.exe. please read the instructions here to set up a shortcut.

Please feel free to post in this thread if you are having this problem. Please bear in mind that it is the weekend, hopefully this will be resolved as soon as possible and as soon as EA are aware of the problem and are working on it, I’m sure they will let us know.

Polly

V

vapd3317

ty Polly for trying to help, but this won't work for me either. Problems started yesterday when I got locked up in city view at my own property. I own the place and couldn't return home or land at any other property.

So I of course did the worst possible thing and uninstalled then reinstalled. Tried the EALand download and got the failed updater, verify and castanet error. then tried the CDs and got the same results. Even made a shortcut to tso-client and tso.exe and received the same results on both. I assume the two shortcut tries are due to the fact of a new install with no updater. Its not a vista problem either because I run windows XP.

I know its the weekend, and holiday and all that,...but I do and have worked weekends and holidays for the last 30 years, so they are just another day of the week to me and not an excuse I accept when someone needs help.

I do appreciate your response to all the problems and the attempt to keep these issues tied together in one thread. Above all, I don't mean to vent towards you for my own frustrations.

G

Wont work for me either

I only tried to get into production cities as lots of others at a property in TC3 were saying they hadn't been able to get in prod cities for a few days.

I have shortcuts for prod cities and tc3 on my desktop (to save all the patching) and I have even tried patching the prod city one over to tc3 then back and still getting the same error.

update needed
error last update - veryfy needed
verify fails
castanet error

edited to add:
As i know we had verification probs a while back - im gonna try keep hitting the re-try button - see if it works after a number of attempts *sigh*

G

<blockquote><hr>

As i know we had verification probs a while back - im gonna try keep hitting the re-try button - see if it works after a number of attempts *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

on re-try no 3 at the moment.....

(14:58 here in the UK)

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

on re-try no 3 at the moment.....

(14:58 here in the UK)

[/ QUOTE ]

OK re-try 9 (making a total of 10 attempts) has just failed - i give up now.

PLEASE PLEASE PLAEASE CAN WE GET THIS SORTED

L

legal1lpn

Folks should know by now those powers that be ain't gonna help us, so we can just chalk it up to us having paid for this month and received nothing in return-what a Christmas present!!! Thanks EA Land, so verrrry much. Can't wait to see what gets done to us on New Year's Day.

L

LiveOnce

Isn't it very sad that so many paying accounts are having this same problem, yet no one at EA is doing anything to fix it? I run a business, and I KNOW that if I treated MY customers like THIS I would be fired by my boss. I am not saying that anyone should be fired over this, just it is a shame that no one at EA seems to care. Then again, being a BETA tester I should not be surprised at all.

S

Stick Figure

I was searching through folders and found one titled ".castanet" I'm assuming this may be where the problem lies? I don't really want to tamper with it though, because I'll probably make it worse, but someone may know something about how to fix it. Worth a shot I guess.

I

imported_LFancey

Can someone please tell me if this problem is still happening?

Thanks

Lee

K

Keep It Real

Mine just changed from castanet to error updating, make sure you have enough harddrive space and write permissions? That drive has 149GB free?

I

imported_LFancey

Ok so a quick look at the cities show correct number of players online for this time of day... So I know some are getting in.

I am looking.

Lee

K

Keep It Real

Yeah Lee I can play TC3, which I am, I just cannot patch to production cities. So TC3 it is for now.

G

ttl

not sure if this is related, but I had to try 4 times to get into tc3, kept getting error 102, just wanted to let you know

I

imported_LFancey

Thanks CntryGrl..... Might be...

As an FYI.. I have patched back and forth from TC3, TC3-Test, and TSO now..

Can we get rough geographical locations please. I am dividing it up based upon our Datacenter locations. I don't need specifics on you locations KEEP IT GENERAL please.

West is defined as West of the Rocky Montains
Centeral is defined as between Rocky Montains yet West of the Mississippi River
East is defined as East of the Missisippi river.

East will include Europe.

Just let me know the following for a few minutes....

Geographic location and if you are able to patch for example I would answer.

West able to Patch.

Thanks

Lee

I

imported_Cherri Bear

Hi Lee,

I am still getting the castanet error notice. I did not try to go to the production cities. Yesterday morning, just tried to log onto TC3 and got that same error.

East here, not Europe but EST USA

I will be patient and won't start chewing my claws off for at least a couple more days. k Tks.
Cherri Bear

B

BellaofCats

East, not able to patch. Able to log into TC and play but not to reg. cities.

Happy Holidaze,

Bella

I

imported_LFancey

Ok YIM contacts have given me 2 more..

East unable to Patch.

G

East (other side of the pond) - still can't patch.

Can play in TC3 via client.exe.

Thanks for being here on a Sunday Lee and looking into this.

Polly

G

EAST (uk) here.

Able to play in TC3 fine just cant get into procustion cities

I

imported_LFancey

You are welcome.. sorry I was out Friday and Saturday night.

Lee

B

BellaofCats

What?? A life outside of TSO?? Who'd of thunk it? hehe. Enjoy I say!!! And thanks for putting in the time to get it fixed up now

Happy Holidaze,

Bella

M

Magnum

I can't get in at all!
nothing loads, room mates loads but gets the castanet error everytime.
I click on my desktop ea land icon and nothing happeneds all I get is a text file on the desktop.
My ea land install is not the full install its only 6mb not 1gig like its suppose to be.
I didnt have any of these trouble until saturday morning.
I guess I'm not playing at all, I shouldn't have to get the cd to play.

I

imported_herk1287

East also and able to get in regular cities but not TC3

I

imported_LFancey

Magnum...

If you have friends that can or can't I need the same data on them please

Thanks

Lee

M

Magnum

If you have scrolled up you would see what I said about my room mate.
I said she cannot get pass the castanet error, she gets it everytime she tries to load ea land.

I

imported_LFancey

I did scroll up and I do see what you said.

But what I did not see was her location.

Thanks

Lee

M

Magnum

LOl Im getting peed off.
When I say room mate hello means she lives in my home and that means what
her location is EAST...

G

im in centeral Lee Kansas to be exact... just checked getting the same error.... can get into the last city i was in and thats it not able to patch over to tc3 or betaville... btw running vista here ... (nuff said usually)

S

Stick Figure

East Coast of USA (Pennsylvania)

Getting the castanet error, can't get in at all.

I

imported_LFancey

And while we are on the topic. Let me just set the record straight again. There is no difference between EALand, TC3, or any city in TSO. This problem is not caused by disks, nor it it caused by the new install. This problem is not caused by the name of your directory be that EALand or The Sims Online.

This problem is 100% patching server related and the preliminary info I have is pointing to a problem in our east coast data center.

For me to problem solve this I don't need to know where you play or what you used to install. All I need to know now is if you can patch. (Sometimes I ask how you installed. This is strictly informational for me. So I know how to guide you to the proper directories thats it.)

Thanks

Lee

M

Magnum

OHHHHHHHHH
well TSO is no longer available at the site its now ea land install ok so theres no difference.

How come then when I installed ea land it took 5 mins and all I got was 6mb of it instead of the full 1.5gb or however big it is.

So its the east coast servers sheesh could've said that long ago.
If there is no difference in the install, then how come some of the east coast can log in and some can't if we're connecting to the same east coast servers?

E

EricaSKID

I am getting this error also. I was able to once log into Dragon's Cove but I am not able to anymore. I get the following errors:

"There was an error updating the updater. Press Continue to skip the updater update or Quit to quit the game."

The updater failed to complete successfully. This can happen for a number of reasons. Select Retry to try again or Quit to exit the game."

"An error was detected on the last game update attempt. To ensure the game is playable, we need to verify the game directory. Verification can take 10 to 20 minutes. Please select Verify to begin the process or Quit to exit the game and try again later."

M

Magnum

Fancey you're one of a kind.
NO! not sim room mate real life room mate and no shes not my GF Im Gay! LMAO

I can hear ya now fancey, you're getting mad :p

K

Keep It Real

I thought you quit? I remember some long drama post on the blog you wrote and said you were quitting the game or something like that, or is that different person? Whats up with that?

G

Everyone is frustrated Magnum, no need to take it out on the one guy that is going out of his way to try and help everyone.

And for what its worth, Lee wasn't the only one that thought you were referring to your roomate ingame.

Polly

Status
Not open for further replies.