• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Upcoming Pure Mage publish.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you also use your wrestling to punch the monsters? Do you body slam them and pin them ? 1.2.3! ding ding ding! Wonder if most mages in lore had wrestling ability.

I use Wrestle/movement to avoid some strikes by the monsters.

Monks with a Wrestle skill, fits into the Psychic concept.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use Wrestle/movement to avoid some strikes by the monsters.

Monks with a Wrestle skill, fits into the Psychic concept.
Oh, now you are a monk? Aren't monks a hybrid of multiple concepts in almost any game? But you are fully against hybrid anything. Right ok. Gotcha. Save yourself 20 skill points and use gm anatomy with 120 eval.

In pvp, use your wrestling abilities (monk abilities lol). Maybe then you'll feel viable again.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, now you are a monk? Aren't monks a hybrid of multiple concepts in almost any game? But you are fully against hybrid anything. Right ok. Gotcha. Save yourself 20 skill points and use gm anatomy with 120 eval.

In pvp, use your wrestling abilities (monk abilities lol). Maybe then you'll feel viable again.

I'm a Scribe.
Which ties up with the Monk bit.
Engage your brain please before you spew out at me.

And I've not said I'm against Hybrids, I've said it has gone too far, and they are making everything else obsolete.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm a Scribe.
Which ties up with the Monk bit.
Engage your brain please before you spew out at me.
You know what scribes didn't do? They didn't fight in combat.

This is getting more and more out of hand lol. You want to roleplay a charactor, and ONLY that charactor, but you want to complain the game content isn't catered to your playstyle. Wow.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what scribes didn't do? They didn't fight in combat.

This is getting more and more out of hand lol. You want to roleplay a charactor, and ONLY that charactor, but you want to complain the game content isn't catered to your playstyle. Wow.

So you guys are telling me, the game content only applies to you guys?

Is this why people are leaving I wonder?

How about trying to maintain a balance, and catering for more than you?

ps. Yes to your comment, and it isn't such a far out thing either, as I said, it used to be a staple backbone of this game.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you guys are telling me, the game content only applies to you guys?

Is this why people are leaving I wonder?

How about trying to maintain a balance, and catering for more than you?
Oh you are going to lecture us about seeing the bigger picture lol. Your entire bullet point system catered what YOU Want, and what YOU hate. At no point did you type any of that garbage and think for a second how it effects anyone else. You literally wrote "allow brittle and cursed to be removed from item properties". Yea, lets just take the way out of hand armor properties and just add more higher end viable armor. Sounds fantastic.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh you are going to lecture us about seeing the bigger picture lol. Your entire bullet point system catered what YOU Want, and what YOU hate. At no point did you type any of that garbage and think for a second how it effects anyone else. You literally wrote "allow brittle and cursed to be removed from item properties". Yea, lets just take the way out of hand armor properties and just add more higher end viable armor. Sounds fantastic.

If you read it properly, I think you'll find it catered to far more than myself.

I tried to bring less complication, less detail, get things fixed that have been broken for years, more spontaneity, more fun into it for all.

The game didn't used to have these things in, and it was far more popular, and more fun.

It is going in a direction for an elite hardcore only.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you read it properly, I think you'll find it catered to far more than myself.

I tried to bring less complication, less detail, get things fixed that have been broken for years, more spontaneity, more fun into it for all.

The game didn't used to have these things in, and it was far more popular, and more fun.

It is going in a direction for an elite hardcore only.

Read it just fine. You make a lot of very opinionated statments regarding what should be changed, and your opinion as for why (which in many cases goes far against why its the way it is in the first place)

Agree there on complication, it has a ton of content, a ton of confusion, a ton of detail. You know why? its 20 years old. Games survive because they update, they offer new content, they change things. They introduce new skills. Why? its fresh. It gives you something to do.

Right now they are implementing a total overhall to how pets work as far as taming. Why? Its fresh.. its new, it gets people to play. Now people will be out in the wilderness taming new animals, training their new pets, experimenting, making new templates.

MMOs have to change, adapt, force people to do things. any of those other games that force you to level, they just constantly give you higher levels so once you hit your cap, you have a new cap. Is that what you want? you want some 150 skill power scrolls to make your ultimate pure monk scribe whatever thing?

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree there, it has a ton of content, a ton of confusion, a ton of detail. You know why? its 20 years old. Games survive because they update, they offer new content, they change things. They introduce new skills. Why? its fresh. It gives you something to do.

Right now they are implementing a total overhall to how pets work as far as taming. Why? Its fresh.. its new, it gets people to play. Now people will be out in the wilderness taming new animals, training their new pets, experimenting, making new templates.

MMOs have to change, adapt, force people to do things. any of those other games that force you to level, they just constantly give you higher levels so once you hit your cap, you have a new cap. Is that what you want? you want some 150 skill power scrolls to make your ultimate pure monk scribe whatever thing?

So what would be wrong with tidying a couple of things up?
(Such as my PvM Rogue Remove Trap thing for example - can't be that hard).

What would be wrong with throwing a bone to Pure Mages in a future Publish?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what would be wrong with tidying a couple of things up?
(Such as my PvM Remove Trap thing for example - can't be that hard).

What would be wrong with throwing a bone to Pure Mages in a future Publish?
You are trying to make pure mage a class, when it just isn't anymore, its a starting base concept and you are free to do whatever with it from there. UO does not have "Classes". The published is geared towards tamers, but its not trying to say "you can train your pets, but only if you are a pure tamer with herding and vet and tracking". It is revamping pets, which any single player that has any variety of template that can use a pet with taming can enjoy, which as far as numbers go, i'd venture a guess that most accounts have some taming somewhere.

Magery is the single most power, most utility rich skill in this game by a mile. Making something exclusive to "pure mage" is terrible because it effects virtually nobody. if its say a new circle of spells for magery, thats another thing, because that effects Everyone that has a charactor with magery, which is probably damn near every player. But then you'd just complain that necro mages and mystic mages and tank mages are casting that same spell as your pure mage.

BTW, giving bumps to remove trap, if that gets the player base moving so be it. But i'd venture a guess that there are very few people in this game that have any interest in a buff to the remove trap skill.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are trying to make pure mage a class, when it just isn't anymore, its a starting base concept and you are free to do whatever with it from there. UO does not have "Classes". The published is geared towards tamers, but its not trying to say "you can train your pets, but only if you are a pure tamer with herding and vet and tracking". It is revamping pets, which any single player that has any variety of template that can use a pet with taming can enjoy, which as far as numbers go, i'd venture a guess that most accounts have some taming somewhere.

Magery is the single most power, most utility rich skill in this game by a mile. Making something exclusive to "pure mage" is terrible because it effects virtually nobody. if its say a new circle of spells for magery, thats another thing, because that effects Everyone that has a charactor with magery, which is probably damn near every player. But then you'd just complain that necro mages and mystic mages and tank mages are casting that same spell as your pure mage.

BTW, giving bumps to remove trap, if that gets the player base moving so be it. But i'd venture a guess that there are very few people in this game that have any interest in a buff to the remove trap skill.
if you can remove trap boxes by targeting players i would be all over it

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are trying to make pure mage a class, when it just isn't anymore. UO does not have "Classes". The published is geared towards tamers, but its not trying to say "you can train your pets, but only if you are a pure tamer with herding and vet and tracking". It is revamping pets, which any single player that has any variety of template that can use a pet can enjoy.

We are going to have to disagree a bit, I think classes are important, and I consider the reason the game is the mixed up mess it is right now, is they have ditched that concept completely.
They say they are adding variety by allowing everyone to do everything, I say they are making everything the same.
Yes, I am trying to get them back in that direction of classes. I accept many will disagree with me.
I am not even against Hybrids, but I am certainly saying having everything completely homogenous is not working because black and white are mixed up so much everything becomes grey.
So we have a conceptual disagreement, lets leave it there.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Fire Fields Need a Buff,
Mana shield Needs to be added,
Summon animal should work like Animal Form, (I have no idea what this spell is for and what idiot thought it was a good Idea,
Unlock should be stronger
Lock should be able to lock banks and any door
Spells should lower elemental Resist, FS lowers fire, eb lowers energy and caps at something, Arch Curse should Curse everyone and lower everyone resist.

thats it,.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe the OP needs like, only a totally pure mage (with wrestle). Can summon up the mighty blade spirit! And that blade spirit can just Deathstrike and nerve strike and mortal and splinter it's way through every land, he can get every drop and kill every creature with it. Also immune to dispel, unless done by another pure mage(with wrestling)

In serious though, blade spirits are a cool graphic, they should get some love lol

Fwoosh

Visitor
We are going to have to disagree a bit, I think classes are important, and I consider the reason the game is the mixed up mess it is right now, is they have ditched that concept completely.
They say they are adding variety by allowing everyone to do everything, I say they are making everything the same.
Yes, I am trying to get them back in that direction of classes. I accept many will disagree with me.
I am not even against Hybrids, but I am certainly saying having everything completely homogenous is not working because black and white are mixed up so much everything becomes grey.
So we have a conceptual disagreement, lets leave it there.
If you think classes are super important then I'm pretty sure UO is the wrong game for you. Not having a set class was I think a backbone idea of UO when it first came out. The idea that I could have 1 character and be able to be anything I wanted was awesome. Hell being able to start a character as a warrior at character creation and then say 5 months later change all my skills to a mage if I so wanted to without having to make a new character was such a cool idea.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure "gimp" means what you think it does?
I know what it means in every context, including Dutch context, English context, urban context and UO context, thank you.
I know how it is derived, and how it got there.

It's a bit like the word Twink in WoW, it had an urban context that formed the foundation of the WoW context, which then became popularised.

I think it has become so normalised in UO that you guys have forgotten what it means.

Anyway, truthfully, I've become tired of this thread, it was a last chance for me to see how things stood.

Opinion seems to be there is no place in UO for a Pure Mage, which I think is sad, used to be a really fun character.
I don't get so much enjoyment out of my other templates, so I hit cancel on my Sub last night, so many of you say it's wrong for me and I should tow the line and be the same as all of you on your gimp templates. I do have a choice, I can say no.

Take care.

Last edited:

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fire Fields Need a Buff,
Mana shield Needs to be added,
Summon animal should work like Animal Form, (I have no idea what this spell is for and what idiot thought it was a good Idea,
Unlock should be stronger
Lock should be able to lock banks and any door
Spells should lower elemental Resist, FS lowers fire, eb lowers energy and caps at something, Arch Curse should Curse everyone and lower everyone resist.

thats it,.
Field Field is already the most powerful spell in game