• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

uopatch.exe-Application Error: UO and ICQ Toolbar

P

Peek A Boo

I am attempting to return to UO for the two week trial for returning players.

I've re-loaded the 9th age disc's, and patched, and everything looks great until I click on 'ok' to start the game. I then receive this message:

'The instruction at "0x749be1b2" referenced memory at "0x0000002c". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

In the last two years since I've played UO, I've dabbled in some free-shards, but have completely removed everything from my computer in an attempt to figure out this problem. I've downloaded from the uo website, and now have Stygian Abyss, and 9th Age, but get the same message.

ETA: I am able to log into the new beta version. I want the old one though.

Any advice would be welcome for me to fix this issue.

Thank you

Gantry

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: uopatch.exe-Application Error

I just started having this same thing since the last patch. I've played for over 4 years on this computer (Windows XP, 1 Gb memory, and 141 Gb HD space left). I have been able to still play using UOA but can't log in through the UO 9th aniv icon anymore. When it happens with UOA it seems to bypass the error screen which says [The instruction at "0x749be1b2" refrenced at "0x0000002c". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate program] and title is [uopatch.exe - Application Error]. Also, EC doesn't seem to work now either and may be totaly unrelated but I enter my user name and password then nothing.... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ok wouldnt help the original poster since he didnt have UO ever working on his new pc but for those of you that experience this who have had it runnning this is what I found and what caused it for me.

Ok I restored my pc to an earlier point, used windows restore points and had a point 4 days prior to my issue from a microsoft patch it downloaded, which got me back up and running.

Managed to recreate error (wasnt trying to hehe), I found that when I had upgraded ICQ it had created a toolbar in IE, if you disable this toolbar it will give you this error message for both UO and UOAM when you try to start them after this, so had to leave ICQ toolbar active and am running just fine. Not sure why ICQ toolbar in IE affects UO but who cares now that i know to ignore it but leave it active everything is running just fine.

Hope this helps someone, cheers

Gantry

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Holy Mackrel !!! That did it LOL. That is one UO hating toolbar but ohh well it's working fine now. Thanks alot UO Relic :thumbup1:

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I cleaned this thread up a tad and stickied it. Great job finding this out guys!

K

King Durango

Okay, this exact problem just happened to me today, months after this origianl post. I was just thinking to myself the only recent change (since yesterday) to my cpu was I updated ICQ (and when I noticed ICQ inserted their own toolbar on IE I instantly disabled it) but how could a change to ICQ have anything to do with anything? But this solution worked! I re-enabled the stupid toolbar and now UO will start! Is there an explanation?

T

Tazar

The toolbar locks itself into operating memory where UO normally looks for specific data. Easy solution... Delete the ICQ tool-bar in the control-panel - add-remove programs option.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The toolbar locks itself into operating memory where UO normally looks for specific data. Easy solution... Delete the ICQ tool-bar in the control-panel - add-remove programs option.
^this

not sure why you want a toolbar for icq anyways :)

but obviously its default checked so the lazy that just press next - next - next and get everything, including www.icq.com as your start page and whatever else.

read installers!.. i learned this long ago :)

Laisidhiel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The same thing just happened to me. ICQ updated itself and installed itself on my browsers last night. So this morning I got the same error message. Thanks to you sharing your experience on here the cause and solution was made clear to me. Thanks for helping me clear this up. Cheers!

A

anvira

WOW......Thank you soooooooooooo much, that was really helpful.

Now my client works again!!!

C

Capn Kranky

^ This ... this ... this.

Read, people ... or you'll have all sorts of stuff go wrong. Jeez.

P

PuddyMae

Peek A Boo, If your the same on from Siege I may have your soulstones. Contact me in gen chat if you are. Sara Dale

C

Capn Kranky

must be diff Capn ... sorry. But I do appreciate the effort! <g>

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for this solution. I had the same problem. Never would it dawn on me that the stupid icq toolbar was the culprit. I deleted it and all is well :)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
your browser would be one big toolbar if you agreed to every toolbar your programs give you anyways.

i generelly disable or uninstall every tool bar to maximize viewport :) the inbuilt search field for google is all i need :D